[Drama 2011] A Thousand Days' Promise 천일의 약속

serenasf95

Guest Fidelity

Anyone know why Su Ae couldn't attend the awards? I looked forward to a picture of her and Rae Won together, dressed all nicely.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know why Su Ae couldn't attend the awards? I looked forward to a picture of her and Rae Won together, dressed all nicely.

Happy 2012 ~~ TRAN^^, Fidelity^^ & all ~~

O .... I read that Soo Ae didnt attend the awards ceremony for some personal reason .... :huh: Many Soo Ae fans were very disappointed ( actually me too ... -_- ) .... cuz they really expected Soo Ae would be present with Rae Won as it was stated in SBS ent. news ..... & she didnt say she wouldnt be there even before the show .....

Rae Won said during his acceptance speech for winning 'Top Excellence Award' ....

"It'd be great if Soo Ae could be together .... very lonely " he looked & sounded really regretful .... -_-

" I wish everybody Happy New Year.

Its been a long time that I was in a TV drama series, so my ambition was particularly big. I am really very grateful for being awarded with this.

I'd like to to give my thanks to the staff members who've worked so hard for the last 4 months. "

I read that one Soo Ae fan even said she felt sorry for Rae Won .... cuz other nominated couples came together for the show ...... also said compared to other tables fully seated.... the table for cast of 'A Thousand Days' Promise' is rather ..... ---- only 4 of them sitting there ... -_- )

*watch here -----

http://youtu.be/uM34Vacez2Q

*download ----

http://115.com/file/clyecuc7#

317ej53.jpg

21ssno.jpg

21.jpg

2011 SBS Drama Awards ----- logo.png

3784243820120101115122032_640.jpg96b71.gif

3784243820120101120639077_640.jpg

378424382012010112004402_640.jpg

3784243820120101122740045_640.jpg96b71.gif

3784243820120101123218094_640.jpg

3784243820120101124928023_640.jpg

3784243820120101124516011.gif

by 小铁丝 / baidu KRW

Guest jdkk09

Thank you to all the contributors on this thread for all your comments, revelations, speculations, clarifications and pictures.   I thoroughly enjoyed it all.  Sorry to bid this drama good-bye.  See all of you in another thread.   Special thanks to you Baduy!

:D

Congrats ~~ Rae Won + Su Ae --- Top 10 Stars Award winners ~~~ B):lol:

21.jpg

3784243820120101130808015.gif

3784243820120101131400090_640.jpg

3784243820120101172519074_640.jpg

3784243820120101172903037_640.jpg

3784243820120101173705096_640.jpg96b71.gif

by 小铁丝 / baidu KRW

Rae Won, being interviewed while receiving Top 10 Stars Award ......

" Very grateful ~ Its been a-long-while comeback to TV drama series, very grateful "

" After the shooting, I slept continuously 2 days 1 night " :rolleyes::lol:

e0407.jpg

5ef1d.jpg

80862.jpg

PS11123100010.JPG

image_readtop_2012_158_1325348375541737.jpg

e8a00.jpg

:D:lol:

HOORAY ~~~

Rae Won + Su Ae --- SBS Top Excellence Award winners ( 'A Thousand Days' Promise' ) ~~ ~~ 25hfjuu_th.gif

21.jpg

" Thank you.

It'd be great if Soo Ae could be together here today; but she is unable to come due to something personal.... a bit regretful. Dont know if she is watching, but I wish you a Happy New Year. 96b71.gif

Since its been a long time that I was in the TV series, my ambition was particularly big, enthusiasm was very high as well. So from a personal level, the regret that this drama brings to me is a lot, too.

Thank you for giving me this precious award. 96b71.gif

I want to dedicate this award to our staff of 'A Thousand Days' Promise' for their hard work the past 4 months.

Happy New Year, everyone! 96b71.gif

3784243820120101175416063.gif

3784243820120102080647083_640.jpg

3784243820120101180337089_640.jpgB)96b71.gif

3784243820120101180843099_640.jpg

by 小铁丝 / baidu KRW

111231232287b9174b396eb54d.jpg

zoff4.jpg

I did vote. But doesn't look like this drama is going anywhere with its popularity against others :(

And too bad Soo Ae didn't attend the award show, I was so looking forward to their reunion after the drama. They would have made such a handsome couple on the red carpet! Hopefully Soo Ae will attend the Baesang award or something in March/April. But by then Rae Won probably busy filming his film. Yup, it's all over!

HI ~~ TRAN~^O^

Happy New Year to you ~~

O... I feel for you ..... How I was so looking forward to seeing them off the scenes .... they're both tall, good looking, & poised..... walking the red carpet in handsome & elegant clothes .... they definitely would indeed have made such a Beautiful Couple together .... B):wub: the most matched couple at ths show I bet .... :D

Though Rae Won might be busy filming the new movie by March ( scheduled to start filming in March ) ...

still... hopefully if they were really nominated for awards at Baesang Awards ... they would grab this nice opportunity and try attend the ceremony together as Rae Won already said in the acceptanc speech that he felt regretful that Soo Ae not being with him ..... maybe by then we fans should air our earnest request & let them know we passionately wanna see them together ..... :lol:;)

dont be down ... for you ~~~ :D000200BF.gif

21.jpg

kim2012-01-3.jpg

by chuan ^^/ raewonisland

:mellow:

Soo-ae wasn't at the awards show because "I am not ready"

2012/01/04

photo216147.jpg

"I am not ready yet..."

Actress Soo-ae carefully explained why she wasn't at the 2011 SBS Acting Awards on December 31st.

She won the Grand Prize for her performance in the SBS drama "A Thousand Days' Promise" but she couldn't attend due to 'personal reasons'.

During an interview with Sports Seoul on January 4th, she said, "I am really sorry for not attending the awards show. I just wasn't ready yet. Many actors and actresses do dramas with 60 to 100 episodes but I felt ashamed for doing just four or five months of work. I got ready to go until the day before, dress ready and all, but I couldn't get myself to go up there and make a speech. It is such a grateful and meaningful prize but I don't want people thinking I wanted it. I don't want to be an arrogant actress".

She still hasn't gotten out of the role of Seo-yeon from "A Thousand Days' Promise" and she said she was absent-minded after the drama. She said, "I just didn't have the guts to go up on stage and make a speech after a long marathon. I am sure I will work harder in the future to repay you for your support in "A Thousand Days' Promise"".

source: http://www.hancinema.net/soo-ae-wasn-t-at-the-awards-show-because-i-am-not-ready-37131.html

Hmmm.... I'm afraid that "translation" embodies everything that gets my goat about Kdrama fansites where slapdash and botched versions of Korean articles are foisted upon readers who have no way of knowing how they're being misled.

Here's my attempt at giving a more accurate impression of that that item says in the original

Soo Ae absent from drama awards ceremony because she "wasn't emotionally prepared"

Actress Soo Ae, who didn't attend the 2011 SBS Drama Awards ceremony on 31st December, has made a guarded statement about her reasons for absence.

Soo Ae, whose performance as Alzheimer's sufferer Seo Yeon in SBS's "Thousand Days' Promise" won her the top award, didn't appear at the awards ceremony, citing "personal reasons" and giving rise to public curiosity.

Sports Seoul got an interview with her at the Banyan Tree [Club and Spa*] on the afternoon of 4th January, in which she said "I really am sorry I didn't attend the Drama Awards ceremony. I felt I wasn't emotionally prepared for it. Many other actors and actresses there have pulled off dramas with 60 or 100 episodes, devoting themselves to the work for four or five whole months. The thought of being singled out like that overwhelmed me", she revealed. She added "The previous day, after the dress fitting, I suddenly thought 'There's no way I can possibly attend'. I felt I just wasn't capable of standing there and saying my piece. I'm extremely grateful for this award, and I know how significant it is. There's a misunderstanding that I intended to snub people, but that's certainly not the case. I've no wish to be an actress who puts herself on a pedestal and can't see herself in perspective."

Soo Ae said she still hadn't shaken off the role of Seo Yeon and she feels drained and despondent now the drama's behind her. She felt like a runner who'd just finished a marathon and still hadn't had time even to snatch a drink of water. She just didn't feel up to making a speech at the awards ceremony.

She promised that when she was in better shape again she would make it up to everyone who had shown her an appreciation which she didn't really deserve for her performance in "A Thousand Day's Promise".

[* In the golden (or rather, gold-effect plastic) prose of the Banyan Tree company website: "Overlooking Seoul’s picturesque Mt. Namsan, Banyan Tree Club & Spa Seoul is Banyan Tree’s first combination of urban resort and membership club. With wraparound views of Seoul, the limpid Han River and the lush greenery of Namsan Park, this urban oasis offers a sanctuary for the senses in the heart of one of the world’s most exciting cities.

Effortlessly, it combines Banyan Tree’s signature warmth and traditional Korean hospitality with a tempting mix of Banyan Tree Spa, the first in Seoul, a myriad of outdoor facilities including a golf driving range, tennis, futsal and outdoor swimming pool, and sophisticated cuisines in any one of the resort’s restaurants and bars."]

:w00t:

YAY ~~ more people in various places get to watch this unique & awesome drama ~~ :lol:

hopefully, next would be Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore/Malaysia, Mainland China, Thailand, & ......

& .... of course the Philippines of which raewonee^^ informed us that ABS - CBN TV station has already bought the broadcast right .... & broadcast date to be scheduled ...... :D

atd.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_ABS-CBN_Corporation

here in Hawaii, our Korean TV channel has juz done broadcasting Episode 7 & 8 this week ..... I was totally involved emotionally into the drama starting Episode 5 .... :tears:

Japan TV Mnet to start broadcasting 'A Thousand Days' Promise'

Feb 22 (Wed) ~~~ 21.jpg

Feb 22 (Wed) starts! :D

Broadcast:(Wed) (Thurs) 10:00 - 11:05 p.m.

Re-air:(Sat) 8:30 - 9:35 a.m. & 9:35 - 10:40 a.m. (continued broadcasting)

(Sun) 4:30 - 5:35 p.m. & 5:35 - 6:40 p.m. ( continued broadcasting)

「千日の约束」日本放送决定 December 22 [Thu], 2011, 18:33 决まりましたね~。

Mnetで2月からですよ~~。

2月22日(水)スタート!

本放送 : (水)(木)午后10:00~11:05

再放送 : (土)午前8:30~9:35、午前9:35~10:40(2话连続放送)

(日)午后4:30~5:35、午后5:35~6:40 (2话连続放送)

c50d3.jpg

credit baidu KRW

For anyone puzzled by "continued broadcasting", the Japanese behind that, 2话连続放送, actually means "Two episodes broadcast back-to-back"

The Kanji 続 there is a Japanese variant of 续, both those characters being differently simplified versions of 續 (read 속 in Korean) and has here the literal sense "continuous" rather than "continued"

For anyone puzzled by "continued broadcasting", the Japanese behind that, 2话连続放送, actually means "Two episodes broadcast back-to-back"

The Kanji 続 there is a Japanese variant of 续, both those characters being differently simplified versions of 續 (read 속 in Korean) and has here the literal sense "continuous" rather than "continued"

haha... I was indeed puzzled by what I got when using translation software to try get an idea of what that phrase means ... :P

thkss so much for the clarification ~~ baduy ^^

also big kudos to you for providing an accurate & complete piece of related article about Soo Ae ~~ much appreciated ~~ B)

& I found another 1/4 Soo Ae interview article which seems to be really nice & detailed ... about how she felt about taking the offer to play this special role & the difficulty she encountered while shooting the drama .... also mentions a bit about Rae Won & Lee Mi Sook & others ..... :rolleyes:

http://www.tvreport.co.kr/?c=news&m=newsview&idx=186535

do you have time to help translate it? blush.gif

here another article .....

January 7, 2012

Fear No Barrier for Actress Su-ae After All

2012010700272_1.jpg

Su-ae

Actress Su-ae is a "brave coward," in her own words. The 33-year-old is quiet and timid by nature but feels a fire kindled in her heart when facing a challenge. "I have lived my whole life in such a way where I become courageous at decisive moments while being always afraid of everything," she said.

On Wednesday, the Chosun Ilbo met with Su-ae after she wrapped up filming the TV drama "A Thousand Days' Promise." She played a woman in her early 30s who suffers from Alzheimer's, forcing the actress to show a range of emotions shifting between extremes as she evoked the daily life of a patient with dementia. Given the gravity of the role, she admitted she was afraid to tackle it even after committing to the project.

"I said I would play the role at first without really giving it a lot of thought, but I was shocked when I started carefully reading the script at home," she said, adding that "acting sometimes feels like a lonely battle."

Su-ae said she continues to surprise herself and feels she is turning a new corner in her career, which she never expected to take off in the first place.

"I never really considered acting is my calling in life. When I debuted, I thought I would just keep acting until I had saved up enough money to rent a house."

"But I was lucky in the sense that acting brought me out of my shell. If I hadn't become an actress, I might just have lived a humdrum life, longing for the one I hadn't dared to realize by being too afraid to translate my thoughts into action."

The interview streaming at

englishnews@ http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/01/07/2012010700417.html

[...]

I found another Soo Ae interview article which seems to be really nice & detailed ... about how she felt about taking the offer to play this special role & the difficulty she encountered while shooting the drama .... also mentions a bit about Rae Won & Lee Mi Sook & others ..... :rolleyes:

http://www.tvreport.co.kr/?c=news&m=newsview&idx=186535

Thanks for drawing attention to that item. It's a really interesting one. Here's my translation (a bit of a rush job, since I'm pressed for time right now, so here's hoping I haven't made any of those boo-boo's I'm fond of reproaching other translators with,,,)

Soo Ae from A Thousand Days currently "psyching myself up to take painful leave of Seo Yeon".

A press session with Soo Ae, originally scheduled for the end of January, was brought forward. Meeting journalists in Seoul on 4th January, Soo Ae told them that she wanted to free herself from the role of Seo Yeon as soon as possible. "Today I opened up my computer and dragged and dropped my '1000 Days' folder into the desktop trashcan" she revealed.

"I thought I was seriously ill, I hadn't expected this drama to leave such a bitter taste in my mouth even three days or so after I finished it. 'Hey, what's wrong with me?', I wondered, so I called Uhm Tae Woong. He reassured me by telling me 'Maybe it's the after-effects of identifying yourself so totally with the Seo Yeon character'. But for four days straight, I felt completely hollow inside, as if my heart had been blasted away, and I had an overwhelming sense of emptiness. I became totally lethargic and I couldn't even sleep. So that's what brought me here today" she said with a smile. "There was so much stuff I needed to clear out, and by giving this interview, I hope to say goodbye to Seo Yeon."

She went on, "During the shoots, Kim Rae Won and the Director Jeong Eul Yeong had been a kind of shield for me, as had all the staff, but now they were all gone, leaving me feeling quite alone and anxious. I'd been prepared for something like this, but it seemed to be going on way too long. It looked like I had a serious problem," she said with another smile.

"I know full well that some people have pulled off more exacting acting achievements than I have, coping with 100-episode dramas, and I'm not saying this to disparage them in any way. But Seo Yeon is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease as early as the second episode, and trying to sustain that role, as she desperately struggles to keep herself together right to the bitter end, made massive emotional demands on me."

"I guess playing a character like Seo Yeon who imposes such stringent demands on herself, rather as I do, made the whole experience somehow more intense."

She said her usual hiking and swimming activities would soon get her back into form, but right now she was completely out of stamina. "I remember clearly first reading the script of the first two episodes last summer on a flight to Bangladesh, and being shattered". She'd been met as she was going into the overseas departure area at the airport by an agency representative who'd handed her the script of 'A Thousand Day's Promise,' or 'Forget Me Not' as it was then titled.

"Maybe there was some kind of destiny at work there. The two episodes I read during the flight revealed what the doomed heroine's illness was. I was keen to know how the rest of the plot would develop, so I arranged a meeting with the Director, Jeon Eul Yeong. Already on that occasion, I felt like I'd already become Seo Yeon, but at the first read-through, after I'd been told about the the ensuing scenario, my confidence took a nosedive."

" 'I'm sorry, Director. I dont think I can do this,' I said, wanting to back out, but the director took me by both hands and said 'Look, I'm scared, too, but let's take this on together. I really need you for this one' and I guess those words restored my courage."

"The word I got to hear most often at the read-throughs from writer Kim Soo Hyeon was 'intensity'. 'Soo Ae, you have to put more intensity into this scene" or "This conflict needs more intensity in the acting".

"In some places there were two whole pages of rapid-fire dialogue, which were very demanding, but even in such stretches both the director and the writer insisted on the precise emotional nuances they required," she said. She was initially unsure of her ability, "but from the third episode onward, I started to feel a confidence and a sort of instinctive vitality like I'd never thought possible. It was an amazing experience," she went on. "It was a feeling like when a mouse who has no more places to run turns round and faces down the cat."

"They say, don't they, that when your back's up against the wall, you find a way? From the third episode on I was focussing more intensely, and even though the heroine is led through increasingly harrowing scenes, I found myself looking forward to each coming day's shooting. Somehow, I don't know why, I found myself enjoying it. You might term it catharsis, or even some sort of supernatural strength. 'Let's see this through to the bitter end, wherever that may be'. Without knowing it, I found myself feeling that way, too." (Another smile).

Though she wasn't present in a lot of scenes, Kim Hae Sook constantly offered support and encouragement, and the determination of Kim Rae Won, struggling as he was with the aid of painkillers against severe back pain, was another source of inspiration to Soo Ae.

She confessed that she hadn't developed any great personal rapport with Kim Rae Won during the shooting, despite his friendliness, and had deliberately kept him at a distance. "I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to him. I had to concentrate all my attention on portraying my character's relationship with the character he was playing. I just didn't have psychological room for anything else."

She said she'd been getting instant feedback on the drama wherever she went. "Don't get sick" was what she repeatedly heard from a lot of concerned fans. Especially whenever she dropped by in the morning at the convenience store near where she lives, the middle-aged ladies who tut-tutted and said "how terrible for such a lovely wife and mother to get that disease" had been a repeated source of strength to her.

Mothers, too, had been showing her a lot of affection. " 'The drama is better than a movie'. I thought that myself as well" (she smiled again). "'It shows the world in a good light, for once there are no hateful women'" (another smile). "But is what we showed on screen really all that different from the real world? That world's really just like a drama shoot, but without the lights and the reflectors."

Thanks baduy for the translation!

Soo Ae seems to have too much emotional attached to the character. Rae Won is completely opposite, he's been smiling wide since then :D

Is it Soo Ae's habit to apologize to her co-stars after the project over? Has she not learned to be more friendly on the set? I thought she said that last time when she was filming Once A Summer. Must be bad for Rae Won didn't have much good memory working with her then.

I thought she didn't know how to swim and it took all day just to film the underwater kiss. How come now her favorite activities is hiking and swimming?

I thought she didn't know how to swim and it took all day just to film the underwater kiss. How come now her favorite activities is hiking and swimming?

I don't know what may have been reported about this, but I can't imagine how anyone who can't swim at all could possibly film those scenes. Apart from anything else, the production company's insurers would veto it.

It's only speculation on my part, but I suspect there may be the Curse of the Careless Translator lurking here somewhere. Although it is grammatically possible to ask someone the literal question "Can you swim?" in Korean, in real-life speech that's not what you say. Instead you ask "Can you swim well?". (Same applies to asking about most other things involving a learned skill: you ask whether someone can do them "well", rather than just can they do them.) Now there are two possible answers to that. Either, literally, "I am unable to swim" or "I do not swim well". Fansub translators tend to assume that because the second answer is a literal negation of the question asked, it must mean "I can't swim' , rather than its actual meaning which is "I'm not all that good a swimmer". Factor in the Korean etiquette that prompts people to deny that they can do things "well", even if they can, and there is massive scope for mistranslation and confusion.

Anyone has news about the drama airing in Japan right now? Does it receive lots of love or what?

When will the DVD coming out and will Soo Ae and Rae Won be doing the promotion together?

For those who understand the drama better then me. Remember the Gallery scene? I find the conversation between SeoYeon and JiHyung a bit odd here, especially JiHyung's lines about SeoYeon's wearing special makeup! Consider the circumstance of them not meeting each other for long time and JiHyung's personality, would he had said something like that? hmm?

And then when he asked her about her boyfriend and I don't get at all what she meant from her reply...huh?

e5gallery.jpg

And re-watching this scene and I find it's a bit awkward... SeoYeon keeps on talking but JiHyung doesn't seem to be there with her... Is it just me? (I'm rewatching with withS2's sub... :D )

e12a.jpg

[...]

Remember the Gallery scene? I find the conversation between SeoYeon and JiHyung a bit odd here, especially JiHyung's lines about SeoYeon's wearing special makeup! Consider the circumstance of them not meeting each other for long time and JiHyung's personality, would he had said something like that? hmm?

And then when he asked her about her boyfriend and I don't get at all what she meant from her reply...huh?

A huge problem with subbing dramas like this, where all the dialogue is very carefully crafted (or "over-written", as javabeans likes to call it, though that's a judgement I strongly disagree with) is how to catch and sustain the tone across the languages. That's not just a matter of translating individual lines, it's also about capturing a sense of the ebb and flow of mood and personality across entire scenes and sequences (and indeed whole groups of episodes). That's very hard for any translator to do, but its even harder given the divisions of labor and workflow patterns that fansubbing groups adopt. Many hands may make light work, as the saying goes, but where those hands belong to people with very different levels of Korean comprehension, translation ability, writing skill, and sensitivity to English idiom, they also tend to pummel out and flatten things that need to be preserved.

In this instance, an additional reason beyond that generic one why this exchange may strike a viewer following the WITH2 subs as slightly odd is that there's an inadequate translation in the very next line of the Ep 4 bit after the three frames you captured, which gives a misleading impression of how the pair are interacting at this point. Let's go back a bit to the frame where they have repaired to the gallery café, then carry on past the point your capture stops to the line where the WITHS2 subs fall short.

So we start at around 00:03:25 in ep 5.

I personally would translate the dialogue as follows (I've used || to indicate breaks across shots within a single character's speech)

JH: You know, you haven't changed one bit.

SY: Ah, but you've grown older

JH: What?!

[she gives a little laugh at his mock indignation, then there's a pause has he comes round to sit opposite her]

JH: It's been a long time, hasn't it?

SY: Eight years and six months.

JH: No... Three years back I came home for a week and saw you then with Jae Min.

SY: Of course, that's right! || We had dinner at the 63 Building on Yeoui Island

[ Another pause while he looks at her, apparently unable to believe his eyes and with a big grin on his face]

SY: What's so funny?

JH: I'm just intrigued how you haven't changed at all. || Is it down to clever stuff with make-up or something?

SY: Come on, you heard me say you look older...

Now that last line [난 늙었다 그래잤는데] is translated inadequately (= verbally correct, but tonally inexact) in the WITHS2 subs as "I told you, you got older" which appears not to follow on at all, and so hides the shape that the writer gave this part of the exchange between the two, because it masks the symmetry between the first and last lines in the passage (which is like a dramatic paragraph, with a new "paragraph" beginning when JH goes on to ask about her work). We need a translation that lets that pattern be visible.

He starts by claiming she doesn't look a day older, but she refuses to play that game by saying the same about him, insisting instead that he's visibly aged, a remark by which he pretends to be shocked and offended. After clearing up when they last actually did see each other, he carries on expressing his surprise that she looks just as she always did, and jokes that if she has indeed gotten older (as her remark about him implied she knows she has) then she must be using some clever makeup to hide the fact. But she responds by showing that she realizes he's trying to flatter her, that it isn't working, and that he needn't expect her to lie about how he looks to her. All the while, her smile and warmth of voice signals that he doesn't need to resort to flattery anyway and that her delight in seeing him again has nothing to do with whether he looks older or not). So, with that little set of conversational moves nicely rounded off, they can move on.

Incidentally, one of those lines contains a translation problem of a different type. What to do when a character, or maybe the writer behind that character, makes a factual error? There was a case of this already in episode 2, where Seo Yeon (or maybe the writer) was wrong about where the aria "Some Fine Day" comes in the plot-line of Mme Butterfly: it's not sung, as Seo Yeon claims, just before the heroine kills herself, but much earlier in the opera, at the start of Act II. But in such cases, a translator has to knuckle down and propagate the error (this sort of thing was the main reason why, over 40 years ago now, I decided that a career in the EU Translation Service wasn't for me. I couldn't stand the thought of a lifetime translating other people's stupid proposals and richard simmons-eyed analyses without being able to correct or comment on them, so I became an academic linguist who got paid for nitpicking about other people's efforts and could retire on a decent pension and carry on with that vice on Soompi and elsewhere into my dotage). Sometimes, however, a bit of judicious discreet correction can be done in the subbing process without hubris. The WITHS2 subbers do it in one line here, and I have followed suit, though in a slightly different way.

I'm talking about the line where SY talks about them having had dinner three years earlier. What she actually says in the Korean is "We ate dinner on the 63rd floor in Yeouido". But the place she (and the writer) undoubtedly has in mind doesn't have a 63rd floor. The gold-clad tower she's referring to in Seoul's business and financial quarter on Yeoui Island (a city district much mentioned in Midas, and my remarks on the somewhat ironic origins of the name Yeoui may still be present in my comments in the Viki Midas channel, buried among all the fangirly squeals which ruin that site) was named "63 Building" to boast of its 63 floors, making it, for a brief period after its completion in the 1980's, the tallest building in Asia. But that was cheating a bit because three of those floors are basements, and consequently the top floor, with its art gallery and observation deck, is actually the 60th in terms of elevator stops and there is no floor numbered 63 (or 62 or 61) at all. The restaurants are actually on the 59th and 58th floors, the lower one having (slightly) less astronomical prices and terming itself a "family" restaurant. So correcting as we translate from "on the 63rd floor" to "at the 63 Building" seems permissible enough.

And I think the other bit about the boyfriends that's puzzling you has similar origins, in that Seo Yeon (or again, the writer) is apparently doing a sort of mashup job on at least three distinct Greek myths. In Homer's Odessey, Odysseus's faithful wife Penelope fends off the numerous suitors who plague her with offers of marriage, insisting that her husband will one day return to her alive -- there were 108 such suitors according to Homer, a big enough demand, but some way short of the "582 hopefuls" SY speaks of. Penelope's ruse for doing this is to say that she can't consider any offers of re-marriage till she has finished weaving a funeral shroud for her father-in-law, but every night she secretly unpicks the weaving she's done during the day. Then there is Heracles (or Hercules in the Roman form) who was assigned 12 humanly impossible "labors" to accomplish before the Goddess Hera would forgive hin for his crime of slaying his own family, and allow him to marry her daughter Hebe. And finally, there was Jason, who had the task of bringing back the Golden Fleece, imposed on him by King Pelias of Iolcus, who promised that in return Jason could take over his throne and marry his daughter. So, on the assumption that JH is as muddled up about these tales as SY appears to be herself (maybe it's something they put in the coffee at Korean art galleries) she's telling him that she had plenty of offers, but she disposed of all of them by insisting they meet standards that were beyond the reach of mere mortals (like the quests the heroes of mythology had to accomplish before they could get their longed-for bride.) This of course chimes in nicely with Myeong Hee's waspish remark in episode 1 that if SY really wants to hook a husband, she should rely less on supposedly revealing tops and instead turn her demands down a few notches.

:D

Thanks a lot baduy^^ for the detailed translation ~~

some interesting stuff to share ...... Pretty accessary that Soo Yeon wears ..... :wub:

Hair clip .... 44,130.00 KRW = 38.9531 USD ....

pretty costly huh... but its said the white one is made of ivory with rhinestones ..... while the other colored ones made of cellulose acetate w/ rhinestones ~~ ;)

233162162.jpg

1228960.jpg

114_301583_4f3788a76076975.jpg

114_301583_7e9467741eaa4be.jpg

20111217180301_341195.jpg

http://item.gmarket.co.kr/DetailView/Item.asp?goodscode=233162162&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200001169&nv_pchs=2hLE5%2FpzWCfR93H00YImF%2BramBWh%2FeU7d8%2BtpCYwPJA%3D

http://naosia.com/product/?fr=naver_ep&prd_sq=503804&nv_pchs=DC0yJtSQ6BdvaADupnX%2FT0%2BL7D2ZDfcPRwdtCqIJey0%3D

[...]

Hair clip .... 44,130.00 KRW = 38.9531 USD ....

pretty costly huh... but its said the white one is made of ivory with rhinestones ..... while the other colored ones made of cellulose acetate w/ rhinestones ~~ ;)

[...]

Actually, if it really was made of ivory, that price would be explained by the need to buy the stuff on the black market from elephant poachers (though in fact it's a wholesale supply price for large consignments). I don't think the production company would be keen on official sponsorship from an outfit that sold products from a seriously engangered species, subject to an international embargo (no country on earth now allows the import or sale of ivory goods unless they can be rigorously proven to be from animals killed long ago).

In the captions, 상아 [象牙] (ivory) is just being used as a color adjective in front of 셀룰로오즈소재 to give "ivory cellulose material". Of the two ads, one claims the stones are Swarowski rhinestone, while the other say they're cubic zirconia. Strange, because they are clearly the same branded product, so both ads can't be corrrect. I'm very dubious about Swarowski rhinestone, because that's a rigidily-enforced brand name made only in Austria, and pretty expensive. Whereas Korea and China are the main global sources of generic (glass) rhinestones, but if these really are Korean rhinestones being sold as Swarowski then the suppliers had better not try exporting them or they'll be seized as contraband. However, they do assure us that these are "officially authorized" (= by the drama production company) products, so that company will be getting royalties.

I was interested to see that in one of the shots, the hairclip is "posed" on an open page-spread from a much-read (and indeed rather readable and informative) collection of essays edited by a guru in the field of graphic design, whose writings have had a big influence on Korean designers in the past decade, D.K. Holland, Design Issues: How Graphic Design Informs Society, Allworth Press 2002 (ISBN 9781581152029). Now that's something you never thought you'd find out on Soompi. It gives a new meaning to the phrase "design statement".

Archived