[Drama 2011] A Thousand Days' Promise 천일의 약속

serenasf95

OK, I've decided not to watch the ending. I've no confidence. I care too much for this drama and there's a chance that the ending is going to ruin my Christmas time. So I've promised myself to stay away from this thread and Dramabeans until after Christmas. I'm weak!

To every one who has ever visited this thread. Love, hate, like, don't like. Please please please write something. Leave your mark with this thread!

So ...

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERY ONE!

HUGS AND KISSES!!!

hello TRAN we will miss you, happy holiday and merry Christmas, come back here soon :-)

Baduy, however long it may take you, I, and many others, would dearly love to have you sub A Thousand Days' Promise just as you did City of Glass. I know those of us who have a very incomplete knowledge of the Korean language, are missing many nuances of the writers' wordcraft.

Please consider my humble request.

yessssss please Baduy Puthakanda :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me this drama is one of my favorites of all time. I cried so much for the last episode. So well done in every way . I have a new favorite actor in KRW who has taken the place of SSH and EOE.......The love is so believable even though it is a drama...if all of us could love like this the world would be so much better. Bravo to the entire production and a big thanks for all of you with your insight that helped to make this an enjoyable couple of months.

Well I just ended up a puddle of weepy mush on the floor. tears.gif

I also wish Baduy could fully sub this drama for us! Even without subs, for me this is one of the best dramas I've watched. Thanks to everyone for sharing news, pics, spoilers and tidbits of information. And a special thank you to Baduy for clearing things up for me (I'm too impatient sometimes) and making this drama so much more enjoyable. 

Dramabeans just posted the recap for the last episode (SPOILERS) - 

http://www.dramabeans.com/2011/12/thousand-day-promise-episode-20-final/

Well I just ended up a puddle of weepy mush on the floor. *quoted image*

I also wish Baduy could fully sub this drama for us! Even without subs, for me this is one of the best dramas I've watched. Thanks to everyone for sharing news, pics, spoilers and tidbits of information. And a special thank you to Baduy for clearing things up for me (I'm too impatient sometimes) and making this drama so much more enjoyable. 

Dramabeans just posted the recap for the last episode (SPOILERS) - 

http://www.dramabeans.com/2011/12/thousand-day-promise-episode-20-final/

waooo dramabeans has a quick recap, thank you all for watching lets wait for SBS Drama Awards support Thousand Days Promise FIGHTING !!!!

Viewing that scene again in the light of the final episode, we can see now that she's telling JH indirectly that she has decided not to marry him, come what may, and that SY's words apparently hinting at the opposite have grounded that resolve.

Thank God... :phew: I'm sooo relieved... :rolleyes:

Thanks to the screen-writer and thanks to you, baduy, for the recaps ^_^

Hopefully the english-subbed of eps. 19 and 20 will come online soon in the dramacrazy ;)

This indeed is one of my two fave 2011 dramas :wub:

Park Yoo Hwan: A Thousand Days’ Promise is a Wonderful Project

promise-cast-sooae-park-yoo-hwan.jpg

Park Yoo Hwan is expressing pity for the end of A Thousand Days’ Promise.

Park Yoo Hwan who is playing the role of Lee Moon Kwon, the younger brother of lead female character Lee Seo Yeon (played by Soo Ae), has perfectly played the cheerful role who won’t forgot to smile under different environment and unyielding sister.

Park Yoo Hwan said, “Leaving behind the sister Moon Kwon felt very sorry, please fight together with the patient and family who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease, do not give up.”

He continued to say, “I saw, heard, and felt the acting among the famous seniors, and had also gained a lot of guidance, Yoo Hwan has learned a lot of things not only as an actor, but also as a human. To the author who gave me the miraculous opportunity, and want to express my deep gratitude for all production crews, and my family and viewers who given support to Moon Kwon.”

A Thousand Days’ Promise ended with own highest rating record of 19.8% on December 21st, 2011.

CR : AsianDrama

"A Thousand Days' Promise" Soo-ae threatens her daughter

photo213230.jpg

Soo-ae's Alzheimer's symptoms forced her daughter to leave.

In the final episode of the SBS drama "A Thousand Days' Promise" on December 20th, Seo-yeon's (Soo-ae) conditions got worse and she even threatened her own daughter.

She suddenly decided that her daughter's hair wasn't nice and sat in front of the stroller with a big pair of scissors. The petrified family tried to take it away from her but she resisted.

With the help of Ji-hyeong, the scissors were taken out of her hands and the family came to the conclusion that it wasn't safe for the baby to be there, sending her to Ji-hyeong's parents' house.

In this Alzheimer's tragedy, Seo-yeon approached the baby with no expression and said, "Goodbye, take care" and turned away.

Meanwhile, Seo-yeon's conditions got worse on this episode and she forgot everyone around her, including herself.

CR : HanCinema

A great drama.

Bypass all the sadness and heartbreaking throughout the drama, I hope all those unfortunate people who suffer from Alzheimer will be treated with love and devotion as Seo-yeon's family has done for her.

In my opinion about Seo-yeon, she's unlucky, but she's not an unhappy person, at least she lived and died in love ...

I'm always love Soo Ae and Kim Rae Won, they've done a very good jobs.

Thank you to everyone for your review, analysis and pictures...

Guest Fidelity

I'll reiterate and elaborate a bit on what I wrote on dramabeans. I’m okay with the abrupt jump to SY’s post-death. As someone mentioned on there, one of SY’s biggest fear throughout the drama was needing diapers; at the very least being able to manage without them was her last line of her pride and her last protection against the cruel disease. In the last scene, she consciously forfeited the defense for the sake of her loved ones. She cast away her pride (even though she tried to do it alone during the night without JH) and herself with a sense of resignation and duty. That was the end to her identify, end of SY as we knew.

On the other hand, I do wish that the pace of the episode was slower. I feel that they threw too many disconnected scenes at us. I guess it would have been too difficult to watch and withstand otherwise, but I felt that the cramming of SY's episodic breakdowns greatly reduced the emotional impact of each. For example, there was a moment where she called JH adjussi, likely for the first time. That scene could have had SO much more weight and theme, especially since one of the songs on the OST has this line: “I’m okay… [...] Even if you look at me as though you’ve never loved me… it’s okay.” I wanted to feel the significance of the moment... but I didn't get to.

Guest truong.michelle

I managed to survive right to the end of this drama without posting anything, not because I didn't love the drama, but because I wanted to see it in entirety before I did comment. The last episode broke my heart and smashed it on the floor. My tissue box is empty and my eyes proportionally puffy.

Looking back I'm really glad I chose to watch this drama, I generally steer clear of sad stories. The emotional stress sometimes outweighs the message/worth I gain out of it. Some stories only have one purpose. To tell the story. Not to leave any profound messages or imprints behind.

Most of us know someone who has been affected by some form of dementia whether it be a distant great aunt in my case, or whatever it may be, the heartache it leaves the family is something I could not comprehend. I watched, as a little girl, my great aunt ask "who are you?" to her own daughter who was caring for her, and the daughter just braving forward day by day.

For me, this story allows me to understand better the pain these families go through. And makes us appreciate the simple happiness that we live daily. Sometimes we take things for granted. Like our minds. Sometimes it takes a disease like this to make people realise that the small things in life are actually the big things. The meaningful things.

South Korea provides fairly extensive and humane care for people with Alzheimer's. Especially because of the country's very low birthrate, there is great concern for the future, as the percentage of the elderly becomes larger and larger in Korea. Care of Alzheimer's patients in Korea

The screenwriter was masterful in holding our attention even though the final outcome was never a question from the time the pre-broadcast synopsis was released. Like a Hitchcock mystery, even though we knew "who dunnit", we watched with fascination as the story unfolded. As some would say, the message is in the journey, not the endpoint. I have a new respect for Kim Rae Won, Soo Ae, Lee Sang Woo, and the rest of the cast. Stellar writing, directing, casting, and acting. Beautifully photographed.

The DramaMeter: highly scientific and foolproof [Year in Review, Part 4]

Thousand Day Promise

promise05-00283a.jpg

This drama had the performances of the year — watching the decline of a young, intelligent woman into the recesses of her own mind is terrifying, but the main character is nothing short of magnetic, and played to perfection. But goddamn is it the bleakest of stories. It’s gripping, but in the end you’re not sure if you’re emotionally drained, or if Show just pinkberry-slapped you.

For most of the series’ run, it was an intense, compelling melodrama powered by pure raw emotion rather than plot maneuvering. There are definite downsides though, in that while it’s nice not to rely on plot for the melodrama, it’s nice to have some. You know, to move things along and have all the characters change and grow, rather than just emote according to the situation at hand. I feel like at the expense of one central character who has all the growth / downward spiral, the peripheral characters all remain in place. So while Seo-yeon’s journey is always in flux, it feels as if the world around her has no movement.

The character owes everything to the actress – Su Ae‘s tour de force performance is by far the best of the year. She plays everything from denial to despair to hope to anger with astounding depth, each time peeling new layers away as Seo-yeon faces the loss of her memory, and more importantly, her identity. I’ve always loved her, but she’s never been as raw and unnerving as she is here.

One of the biggest things that went to waste was the fluidity of time and memory in the storytelling. In the beginning of the show we began with a loose sense of time, telling parts of story in flashback and moving between the main characters’ collective memories. I expected that element to be more prominent as Seo-yeon’s memory begins to fade, and was excited to see how experimental they could be with narrative time. But alas, it’s a device that fell by the wayside, underutilized and sadly forgotten.

Writer Kim Soo-hyun is actually the most palatable to me of her class of A-list writers, most of whose work I find cold by virtue of their overwritten nature. But despite that, Kim’s characters have a warmth to them that I connect with. This drama had one of the most moving displays of familial love I’ve seen this year. And what really kills me is the heroine’s struggle not to lose herself or her fear of leaving this world without any trace that she was here. That feels like it comes straight from a writer’s heart, and makes her extraordinary circumstance feel universal, and ordinary, and endlessly compelling.

[spoiler Alert: ending discussion ahead.] So then why, WHY, choose to undermine all that with a listless ending that’s as bleak as night? It’s not even what happened to the characters, but the emotional payoff that was so utterly lacking. It never gave me final moments with family members, or one moment of connection between Seo-yeon and her child, and worst of all, nothing left of Seo-yeon’s writing to be passed on. I felt robbed, and it was drastic enough to make me wonder if the rest of the journey had been worth it. ‘Cause if I had known Emotional Deflate-o-land was the destination, I might not have gotten on this train.

DramaMeter Rating: A box full of puppies. Abandoned in the street. On Christmas Eve.

CR : DramaBeans

Soo Ae and Kim Rae Won Can’t Let Go on End of A Thousand Days’ Promise

Kim Rae Won and Soo Ae have expressed their feelings on the ending of the drama series.

The SBS’s Monday and Tuesday drama series A Thousand Days’ Promise is ending with the grand final episode on December 20th, 2011, the lead stars Soo Ae and Kim Rae Won expressed their thoughts on the end of the drama.

Kim Rae Won said, “This is the my first comeback project after a while, so I put in all my efforts in filming. Through this project, I also realized a lot of things, will never forget. Want to thank the staffs and crews who worked hard under cold weather for the last three months. At the same time also want to express my gratitude to the viewers who like our drama.”

And Soo Ae said, “During filming, became very close with the crews, now have to separate, are very dismay, especially it’s a great challenge for me to play the role of patient which I never contact with. Every time when I felt down, the staffs around provided me a lot of help, so that I can stand up again. Very grateful.”

*quoted image*

The grand final episode of A Thousand Days’ Promise is broadcast on December 20th, 2011.

CR : AsianDrama

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

Today is the end, hard to say goodbye :(

I can't let go of this drama... lol.. So sad it is ending.....wbresize.aspx_.jpg

Heavens know when the English subs will be released...

I hope there will still be people here to talk about it...

While I am still waiting impatiently for the English subs on this week's final episodes...

A Thousand Days’ Promise Final Concluded with Highest Viewership Rating

The SBS Monday and Tuesday drama series A Thousand Days’ Promise aired its final episode on December 20th, 2011, and managed to set the highest ratings record since its premiere.

According to statistics released by AGB Nielson media research company on the morning of December 21st, 2011, the national average rating for the final episode of A Thousand Days’ Promise aired on December 20th, 2011 is 19.8%, breaking the drama own previous highest ratings record of 19.2%. A Thousand Days’ Promise had managed to attract the attention of viewers on debut, recording the good rating of 12.8%, but unexpectedly the viewers began to gradually lose their interest on the drama on latter part, thus the ratings has failed to exceed 20%.

The KBS drama Brain and MBC drama Lights and Shadows that broadcast at the same time on the night of December 20th, 2011 with A Thousand Days’ Promise rated 13.1% and 10.6% respectively.

via MyDaily

Source: Asian Drama

I just noticed I skipped a couple of poems that occur in episode 14, around the half-way point when SY and JH are walking on the beach.

The first one, beginning "On a whale's back I will pitch a red tent/ and sail the East Sea's length and breadth" has me totally stumped. I've no idea of who wrote it or how it goes in full. This will bug me for months, or even years, till I track it down. Or unless anyone reading this can help out.

But the second poem, immediately following on, takes us back to familiar anthology territory (meaning it will ring a bell with many Korean viewers who may be able to supply the parts that SY can't recall) and it's maybe more significant dramatically both for its theme and because it shows SY's memory failing her yet again, though she tries to make light of it" "It's not like I had to learn it for homework, after all" she jokes.

The poem is called 바다에 오는 이유 (Why I've come to the sea) by 이생진 (Lee Saengjin). Born in Seogang, Chungnam Province, in 1929, he spent his working life as a teacher at a Seoul junior high school, publishing poems mainly evoking the moods and landscapes of Korea's many islands. In 2001, in somewhat belated recognition of his seventieth birthday, he was made an honorary citizen of Jeju Island Province (which is of course where SY and JH are honeymooning).

As well as being unable to recall the final lines of the poem, SY skips a line earlier on (though this may be because it's a bit disconcerting, given current environmental concerns, which weren't so prominent in Korea when the poem was written) As before, I've put the parts she doesn't recite in square brackets, in the Korean text and in my translated version.

바다에 오는 이유 ㅡ 이생진

누군가를 만나러 온 것이 아니다

모두 버리려 왔다

[몇점의 가구와 한쪽으로

기울어진 안장과]

내 나이와 이름을 버리고

나도 물처럼 떠 있고 싶어서 왔다

바다는 부자

하늘도 가지고

배도 가지고

갈매기도 가지고

[그대로 무엇이 부족한지