Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

I didn't see either of these posted here and wanted to bring them over and consider what they mean. First and most important...

That says, "10월이 빨리 가면 좋겠어." Which I believe means, "I hope October goes quickly." Unless my translation is wrong, I can't help but wonder if that means his military training took place this month. Of course I could be wrong about the translation or maybe he just wants the month to pass quickly for other reasons, but it did make me wonder if that was him dropping a hint.

I'm also not that sure about military training and what we will definitely know vs. what we might know eventually. Is it a guarantee that we'll find out when he graduates or is it possible he'll slip by without notice? Would we already know if he was training in October or would we find out when he was finished?  I'm really not sure. 

Anyway, I haven't seen a single person talking about what this message said so I thought I'd drop it here. 

This is the other message he wrote for October and I know everyone was kind of confused about what it meant. It says "무뎌진다는 ... 똑땅하다". I believe that means "Dullness... in good conscience." Confusing. I saw someone say he was just being silly and figured it might be some slang term or a funny way of saying something, but while I was trying to figure out what the heck that meant, I came across a book called "무뎌진다는 것". Is it possible he was just referencing the book? 

http://www.yes24.com/Product/goods/57816797

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. 

No matter what, I hope he's doing well and I'm praying that he stays happy and positive. I've really, really missed him lately. I feel like the longer he's gone, the less there is to talk about and the further away he seems. 

• Like 6

Oh interesting, @hilllllllly on the book. Maybe so! It sounds like a book he would read. In any case, there is obviously a context to his words on that cup, since even though you can translate the words themselves, the meaning...er, yeah. :) Who knows? But he's quoted things before, so maybe that is what he means...

I'm wondering about the training, too. Don't a lot of them post a picture when they go, all decked out in camo? But he has taken a very hands off approach to IG, not even posting on his leave time (I assume they can do this, as others do, and I know for sure he has had some leave time since he started). So we'll see...

And yeah...there is still SO much time before military ends. What I'm hoping is that they truly do air JL sometime in 2020, it would make the time go by a lot faster. (And give us stuff to talk about!)

• Like 8

13 hours ago, hilllllllly said:

This is the other message he wrote for October and I know everyone was kind of confused about what it meant. It says "무뎌진다는 ... 똑땅하다". I believe that means "Dullness... in good conscience." Confusing. I saw someone say he was just being silly and figured it might be some slang term or a funny way of saying something, but while I was trying to figure out what the heck that meant, I came across a book called "무뎌진다는 것". Is it possible he was just referencing the book? 

do you remember this?

6pQDETH.png

although this is not the book he mentioned, it's linked to the "event" filmed presumably after romance is a bonus book, it sure refers to it as it is about books and reading. yes he wrote about the title of the book and maybe he did because the book was being talked about due to that event, where he suggests to read a book he likes, around the time he wrote the message. the "똑땅하다" is korean slang and it means "i'm very upset", "i'm disappointed", but said in a baby talk way, in a funny way, childishly. as you said, he was joking around. what's on my mind is: could it be he wanted to say he felt a little disappointment maybe because this campaign or whatever it is isn't going as he imagined or hasn't gained as much attention as he would like because he is not here in a way? maybe he thinks he's losing recognition as time goes by and he's less and less a part of the celebrity world since he is away? could it be he is disappointed about the results? could it be it's the book that's making him upset/sad (i don't know what it is about)? am i just reading too much into his words? :rolleyes: what i know is there's always some meaning behind his jokes, because he wants others to think it's not a big deal. let's share opinions please, don't make me feel weird.

5 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I'm wondering about the training, too. Don't a lot of them post a picture when they go, all decked out in camo? But he has taken a very hands off approach to IG, not even posting on his leave time (I assume they can do this, as others do, and I know for sure he has had some leave time since he started). So we'll see...

Yeah, something doesn't add up about his silence on IG. It would be easier for him to contact us through that than it is for him to write small, vague messages on tumblers and cups that may or may not make it to us. He's going out of his way to say hello every month (which I love and treasure, don't get me wrong) so the problem isn't his lack of desire to communicate. Based on what he is doing, I can't help but feel like if he could post on social media, he would. There has to be a reason that he can't, right? 

As for what other idols and actors do/have done... I'm so, so confused by it. I saw one guy who is doing public service too... he's released a song and has been posting dance videos/messages on IG. Are they just breaking the rules and hoping they don't face any consequences? Surely that isn't ok. There is probably a magnifying glass on Jongsuk because of his popularity and I'd rather he not put himself at risk, so I'm fine with him being extra careful, but I do wish the rules were clearer. 

I know that when Lee Min Ho was doing his public service, he posted 3 pictures (and no captions) with his hair buzzed a day before he started his training (about a year in). It seems like he was able to post a few times after he graduated before going silent for another year. But what I'm curious about is how fans got the pictures of him in uniform during his graduation. He never posted them himself. That's what I always assumed would happen with Jongsuk. He would graduate and we'd get to see him because pictures would inevitably surface. I'm not so sure now. 

• Like 6

It could just be his choice. I'm pretty sure they are allowed to post on their days off. But maybe he wants to be extra careful to do it "right" because he's already doing public service (which is a bit of a strike against him in some people's opinion)? While I have seen celebrities post a lot any time they are allowed, I've also heard of some who purposely didn't even receive visitors the whole time, who went sort of hard core silent. It earned them some cred in the end... I have no idea what JS's thought process is, not being him, but I do know that he expressly did not want people to make a big fanfare to see him off, and he did not want people to even know where he is serving exactly. (Obviously the people he encounters know where he is, but they are honoring his wishes and not plastering that all over the internet.) My guess is that he wants to be seen as someone serious about doing their duty. (And yet...he can't help wanting to send messages out, hence the messages on the mugs, lol.) 

Well, we are all guessing here. That's my guess, but I have no idea if it's right. :)

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I actually think we're both right, @frozentundra. There is a reason he isn't posting on IG and it's most likely what you mentioned. He wants to take this service seriously and doesn't want negative attention. If he posts on social media, it will make headlines. To date, none of the messages he's left for fans at the cafe have been brought to the attention of the general public. It's a nice way that we can hear from him without everyone else adding their two cents or public opinion rearing its ugly head. What I'm genuinely impressed by is the fact that there aren't any pictures of him out and about, even during his time off. How he's managed that, I'm not sure. 

No need to feel weird, @kiyimae. I love being able to have conversations and think of every angle possible. You made a good point that maybe his message was a more general statement about being upset by something. That book I found definitely made me think of the books from that challenge he was a part of too. If I had to guess, I'd say he was either referencing the book and commenting on how it made him feel or he was commenting on how unhappy he is that things are duller these days. That goes along with what you said about being a little discouraged about his current status. Just like we feel frustrated sometimes because we don't really know what something means or what to expect, I'm sure he's also experienced frustration that we aren't getting it too. 

• Like 6

I also think that local fans know the place and timing of his public duty, but they are not making photos and sharing it on internet, because Jong Suk asked them to not do it... It's really hard to not see him for so long time, but from another side - i find it correct. MS must be done by him as regular citizen does and do not make a show from it.

• Like 7

While I'm sure he has days of frustration as well, I really like your theory, @hilllllllly, of the book being related to that book recommendation thingy. 

@ibru yeah, I think it would be  impossible for him to walk around completely invisibly. I am sure people have seen him. but in Korea it's illegal to post photos of people online without their permission, so by law they can't do that. And by virtue of being honest fans, they will also want to respect his wishes to serve quietly. If he continues to pull this off, I think it will be a good mark for him as far as public perception. (But you know...if they truly do release Jade Lover in 2020, it would sure help on the fan side... Then it would not feel so long!)

Nice video, ibru. :) 

• Like 6
  • Love 2