[Drama 2010] King Geunchogo / The King of Legend 근초고왕

Guest sayroo

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest b00kw0rm

Oh, almost forgot, first of all, Yeogu must do something with his men, and Yeohwa must do something with her nephew too. As I remember, after her brother's death, she swore to take the throne back to her clan, and make her nephew be King. Her nephew maybe an obstacle to her son (I think ^^)

sorry to cut your post. Why the nephew and not the son? Her son is Yeogu's first-born. Or does he believe that he is not the baby's father? I am getting annoyed with him over this. And all the men surrounding him, including his Grandfather, proclaiming loyalty and devotion to him but acually wanting Yeogu to bend to their will. Even Hongran is the same. So much for loyal obedience.

Guest adikkeluangman

T-ara’s Qri reveals comedic pictures while dressed as a princess

PP11041900043.JPG

T-ara’s unni member Qri uploaded nine cute photos recently.

While working from the set of her new drama, ”King Geunchogo“, Qri took the opportunity to goof around during a staff break. Posing with some unusual props, she took some hilarious photos including teasing a sleeping Eunjung to brighten her fans’ days.

After laughing at her comedic poses, netizens marvelled at the gorgeous outfit Qri wore in order to portray a Korean princess of yore.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/04/t-aras-qri-reveals-comedic-pictures-while-dressed-as-a-princess

Guest Sela_07

In Korea, Yeohwa is hated by the fanbase for being a fictional character.  Hongran is more popular in Korea.

I wish they at least follow the actual history with the two main characters. I was pleased to see that Hongran was adopted by the Jin clan because historically Yeogu's queen and the mother of the next king (his oldest son King Geungusu) was from the Jin clan.

Oh well, looks like the writers are in favor of their fictional character and make her the mother of the next king of Baekje.

I do enjoy this drama even with all these changes. I guess its to be expected since this is not adocumentary. My only complain is that the main focus seems to be about the conflict between the two royal line instead of Baekje Vs Goguryeo etc. This is suppose to be Baekje's glory days. I wish to see more of King Geuchogo going head to head with Goguryeo rather than the members of his own government.

Is it possible to find a more detailed description of the real history in English? I found some info from Wikipedia, but there is almost no information about the king and his deeds. I really like the show although I am a litlle behind because I wait for the subtitles . :)

Guest jaejoongie <3

this drama is really fun.

geonil's also really handsome and good at acting.

He towers over everyone in the drama :D

I love his smile~ when geonil saved the prince in the latest episode, he was so cool~ :)

I like how this drama is faster paced than other historical dramas. It gets right to the point! :D

I started watching from episode 48 though :sweatingbullets:.

started watching for geonil~ I'm so happy I picked this drama up! ^^

I hope this drama wins awards at the end of the year :wub:

*edit*

geonil's mother in the drama is sooo pretty!

Know this, I am historical/sageuk junkie so for me to be watching King G is a rush. I do not speak or read Korean but being a k-drama addict gives one the advantage of understanding the gist of the show, either some or most of it.

King G has gotten interesting again to the point that I am rewatching the raws. From episode 47 onwards it has picked up with the new generation of Baekje’s royalty. @ idegil check Wikipedia and type in the show or king’s name you will get most though not necessarily accurate information there. Most of the true components has been modified to keep us the watchers entertained and at the same time curious, have to say that it’s working. This may be the longest post for this show here.

We have the 2 sons/heirs for the throne, 1 power hungry cousin, the noblesse power politics, the romance, Guyergo and the king who is trying to rule the country and keep his dream for Baekje going. As stated before its got interesting again. The actors are doing a fantastic job, thank goodness for that.

Let’s start with Gonil – he is the future king unknowingly stirring up pots in the politics of the country. What they appear to be showing is his suitability for the position in a round about way. I like the fact that they did not drag out his true identity in the show and the people who knows his identity are the right ones who like his adoptive parents are willing to protect him. He not knowing is good as well as it is not the right time for that. As for the romance with Jin Ah Yi, the future queen they have opened the possibility of really like for both of them with the fact that right now he feels pity for her because he sees her loneliness and sadness because she is not liked by the prince who thinks of her as a puppet for her family and a weapon against the crown in terms of power play. For her, its a bit of curiosity and interest. FYI - Baekje’s downfall was due to the nobles who strangled the country and its people to its end. It is with hope he get some action with the princess in the next 2 episodes since the younger brother got some, he is due. I like Gonil, his character is somewhat similar to the father which explains why King G does not doubt that he is his son after that mix up in the past. What does his name means – can someone tell me please? Thanks in advance. Gonil has a strong support base in the king’s 2 best friends and the commander of the guards who likes his personality and for the sake of the king and the country try to protect him from the vultures who were in a way responsible for his death!!. PS - he is handsome and fun to watch

Crown Prince – he’s the idealist, who could make a good king but not a strong one. The idea of ruling his country to protect it and let it grow like his father does appeal to him. However, being the puppet at the hands of the nobles does not, especially that of the Jin family which explains why he does not like the girl and in a way his anger at the whole situation especially in the future holds a nasty appeal and she is getting the brunt of his anger. Sorry princess, Gonil will be there for you don’t worry. In a way he does not like palace life, the power plays and the politics. But what can he do, he’s to be the future king and it’s not like he has a brother in the hiding who can take the pressure/burden off him, right? I like how they have given him and father a way out with the arrival of the Yamati princess (how old is she by the way,she says so in ep 49). He’s 100% into to her and as we discovered in ep 52 so is she, they got a little action which I am assuming may come into more play (their romance) in the upcoming episodes as to how it plays with the removal of the crown prince role etc. I don’t know. I also like his relationship with Gonil which is a pleasant one, thank goodness and hopefully does not become negative in the future once he finds out that he is his brother. The crown prince is sweet.

1 Power Hungry Cousin – I can’t believe there is so much ambition in this “15” year old but then again from the time he was born he has been raised to be as such by his family and Hae support base. He definitely have politics down pat, however he lacks vision as to should he become king what kind of country he would raise. Is it for the people or the nobles? He sees the crown prince as a stone in his goal to the crown and at present is building up his power base for the crown. Personally, I find him boring, I do not know his name nor care to.

Noblesse Power Politics – although I did not like, I do understand why the previous episodes and present ones focused on that. In the minds of all nobles and to keep the people in their continuously greedy claws, the country is made for and should be run by nobles only, all others are low born meant to serve them indefinitely. King G unknowingly lost his son because of that because as you know the nobles are not noble. It is also a fact that although the king is powerful, he is powerless without the nobles as he needs them to help him run the country and carry out his vision, though they will not hesitate to try to stir him towards theirs as they will do all and sundry to keep that power. A fact that they are aware of and relish, King G tried to fix this by including "low born" which he is getting a fight for now its a draw. This explains why Gonil is a danger to them in the past, present and future. Hopefully, they do not discover his identity until episode 56/57 by then they will be powerless to do anything except of course switch ties.

The Baekje betrayer Sa to me is a spy for Baekje until they are ready to tackle Guyergo which works for now though I think their crown prince is still suspicious of him and rightly so. Wasn’t it fun to see Gonil shoot the arrow at the crown prince’s helmet like his father did before him with the king, its one of my favorite scenes.

The romance – I like it a lot and as I said before I want to see some action between Gonil and Jin Ah Yi soon. The writers has set it up in a way both politically and relationship wise, not bad. However, I feel sorry for the kids in that how would you like to know that you are engaged to someone as soon as you are born, you are not expected to feel for anyone else and as such is being conditioned towards a life you have/have no control over? This is such the case with Baekje’s crown prince – a situation that he’s rebelling against, Jin Ah Yi – a political tool for her family and a sad and lonely person, the princess – a spoiled brat who has to marry a man a little more than twice her age she knows nothing outside of the palace which makes her narrow minded person and an ornament to me, and a power hungry cousin- who does not care as long it equals more power. With Gonil -there may be no choice but they have set it up in a way for him and/the princess to choose each other despite the politics in the palace.

Finally the king – Such a quandary to discover that the son he thought as dead and doubted as his to be alive and in order to protect him has to hide his identity with exception necessary few for now. To be placed in a situation like his father which is to abandon him and yet make up for not being a father is painful. Also he cannot tell the mother that her son is alive, the country at present though stable is not yet stable. How will Gonil react knowing who he truly is, I wonder? This reveal as I said hopefully takes place at around episode 56/57 by then his position in the country would be grounded by then. I feel for the mother as right now it appears that she is very ill and the reunion with her son may give her hope as well as renew her relationship with the king. I also feel for Hong Ran as it's like she always lose to Yeowha, first its love for the king, and now its the son for the crown prince position, she is also a bit conflicted as Gonil was responsible for saving both men that she love the most lives at the risk of his own. She ask for him to be promoted to some big position, wonder what that is?

I hope by writing this more people will start watching the show and talking about it, though the subs take a while, it’s an enjoyable watch and I am looking forward to last 8 episodes.

Guest b00kw0rm

Seems like everyone here prefers Hongran to Yehowa. I just saw the birth of the 2 princes. Still feeling sorry for poor Yeohwa. Agree that Yeogu's battle and dream for his kingdom seems to take a backseat to the in-fighting. But the show is getting more interesting!

Guest farhah1986

Know this, I am historical/sageuk junkie so for me to be watching King G is a rush. I do not speak or read Korean but being a k-drama addict gives one the advantage of understanding the gist of the show, either some or most of it.

Finally the king – Such a quandary to discover that the son he thought as dead and doubted as his to be alive and in order to protect him has to hide his identity with exception necessary few for now.  To be placed in a situation like his father which is to abandon him and yet make up for not being a father is painful.  Also he cannot tell the mother that her son is alive, the country at present though stable is not yet stable.  How will Gonil react knowing who he truly is, I wonder? This reveal as I said hopefully takes place at around episode 56/57 by then his position in the country would be grounded by then.  I feel for the mother as right now it appears that she is very ill and the reunion with her son may give her hope as well as renew her relationship with the king.  I also feel for Hong Ran as it's like she always lose to Yeowha, first its love for the king, and now its the son for the crown prince position, she is also a bit conflicted as Gonil was responsible for saving both men that she love the most lives at the risk of his own. She ask for him to be promoted to some big position, wonder what that is?

I hope by writing this more people will start watching the show and talking about it, though the subs take a while, it’s an enjoyable watch and I am looking forward to last 8 episodes.

As fas as I understand its not position...but rather become her adopted son...remember...Yeogu asked Hongran early ep52 to take him as her son(adopted).So that he can protect his son at the same time put Gobi back into his rightful place.I actually feel confused with Yeogu decision.I understand he want to protect Gobi but why he didn't want to tell Yeohwa that her son still alive?Is it because Yeohwa no longer the queen but head of Wirye faction,so its mean his son will embroiled in political fight.As far that I understand Gobi already involved in the political fight once he become the Queen son.

Just imagine Yeohwa without knowing her son, fight against him to put her nephew to the Crown.I wonder about the other prince how this drama will settle about him as finally Gobi is the one who become the crown prince.What is the the other prince name(Gobi younger brother)?As far as I know in history Gobi is really the Queen son...I know they twisted these to make the story more interesting...So how Hongran will accept Gobi become the crown prince when her son's not?It just my opinion...he's either fled with the Yamatai princess or died with unknown disease or give up his right?

Just like everyone...I also love Geonil as the hidden prince...he's sweet and gentle but strong and determine when he fight.I also love the scene where Gobi shot the arrow to the Crown Prince helmet.

Archived