[Drama 2010] King Geunchogo / The King of Legend 근초고왕

Guest sayroo

Guest b00kw0rm

Poor Yeowa!  I think Yeogu is not good enough for her.  He only demands, and I really hate him.  He even uses their son in a last minute to prevent to war.

I agree. Poor Yeowa, the son she thought was dead lives to be Euroha and calls that other sly scheming woman 'mother'. I feel so bad for her. Yeogu's last moments, he fingered the ribbon Yeowa left on the tree. A pity he did not die clasping that in his hand for his wife to see!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JoyceTeo

My opinion ,YeoGu love YeoHwa alot even his Queen HongRan know.

But he has to place top priority on his role as king ,to answer to his dead father,his ancestors and his people.Remember his younger son mention that YeoGu never felt happy at all

The place YeoGu die is at the tree where yeohwa die,Is this a coincidence? i doubts so as i believe he knew he is going to die when he dream of his father coming to him and tell him he did well and it time for him to rest.I think he choose there to die so that he can be together with YeoHwa.

Where do I start…

I apologize for writing so much, I usually don’t do things like this :)

I love Sageuks (historical drama) there are my favorite genre in kdrama land. I watched most of the big name ones, and in the absence of some good Korean Sageuks lately, I have taken to watching Chinese historical dramas, some of which are quite similar in plot.

No matter which historical drama you watch, the plot seems to surround the same issues: an hero that has to overcome some obstacle to get to the throne; some evil politicians, ministers, or people in power, plotting to keep the hero from succeeding; a group of loyal friends and followers that assist the hero; some kind of betrayal from a trusted ally; and a hero who continuously forgives the evil side, giving them chances after chances. Despite this clichéd plot points and twists, I still enjoy watching them.

So it surprised me, when I didn’t initially jump on the King Geunchogo wagon. I suffered through the see saw that was Dong Yi (perhaps that is why I was wary of picking up another Korean Sageuk). I was bored one day and decided to watch King Geunchogo episode one, and was surprised to see that it was a continuation of the Jumong story (a drama I really loved). As I watched more episodes, I realized the drama wasn’t bad at all. Actually it was pretty good, and was on par with some of my other favs like Yi San, Jewel in the Palace etc.

They definitely didn’t skimp on the budget like in some other dramas i.e. Hwang Gini the drama. The acting was pretty toleratable. I did notice that the characters used a lot more modern Korean than in some other Sageuks. I don’t speak Korean, but I have watched enough modern dramas and Sageuks to pick out some subtleties in the language. I think this drama was totally underrated. I wonder if it was due to bad promotion, being released at the wrong time or what. I feel bad for the cast and crew, cause the drama was way better than I expected.

Now to the actual story/drama - I know that some things were added to make the story more interesting. But I have to say this first. I truly despised the Yeowa character. Whew, I said it. She was so insufferable, and I just couldn’t get behind their Romeo and Juliet story. The whole time I kept asking - why did the Eoraha/king love her so much. Because she was heartbroken, she almost wiped off half the country, yet she had the nerve to act all righteous. Yeah, Hongran had her faults too, but as the drama progressed she got better/matured, while Yeowa seemed to mature backwards. How could she blame the king for killing her brothers, her brothers continuously tried to kill him, even has he gave them chances after chances, so because of that she turned her back on the king. So foolish! Because of their ill timed rebellion, they couldn’t finish off Gorguryeo, and we all know what that leads to later.

The actor playing Sayu, was the best, his dying scene was so well done. He had presence and was very believable in the role. Yeogusu was also a much better actor than the other prince, this was my first time seeing him, and I hope to see more of him, plus he was a natural cutie, so that helps.

All in all, an underrated drama, it was interesting with a lot of action/war scenes. The romance was not so heavy in this one. Kudos, and I look forward to more Sageuks.

Yeohwa's main failing , if you can call it failing, was that she was born and brought up a princess with a great sense of loyalty and responsibility to the country and family. She even refused to recognise the son she had grieved over for 18 years because her nephew's position who became her heir would have been in jeopardy. Even when she fought against her husband, it was in the open and everybody knew her stand. The second wife had been conniving, scheming from day one, tried to kill Yeogusu when he was a baby, started a rhyme to ridicule and question his paternity and even till the end, she had no scruples in 'adopting' the rightful heir so he wouldn't be a threat to her son. She and her brother were conniving until the son himself gave up.

I wish they had made it more consistent romantically, Sayu didn't even mentioned they had loved the same woman when he was dying. That would really make it so touching....

Guest mylinh

I'm watching this serie and i don't like yeohwa too . May be because there was no chemistry between them.

Unlike other historical drama , the love story between the king and her seems to me so fake

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping someone could help me find out the name of the actor that played the young prince Yeogusu?

I enjoyed this drama and Yeogusu! I liked the character that he played and the love story with the Jin princess.

Has he appeared in any other dramas?

Thanks for whatever help you can give me!

Guest Blue Fox

I was hoping someone could help me find out the name of the actor that played the young prince Yeogusu?

I enjoyed this drama and Yeogusu! I liked the character that he played and the love story with the Jin princess.

Has he appeared in any other dramas?

Thanks for whatever help you can give me!

Actor Real name Park Gun Il .

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest twinkletwinklefan

Sorry bump up an old thread, but I just finished watch this drama, very good, I really enjoy it.
In the storyline YeoGu love YeoHwa ALOT, but seem like the actor Gam Woo Sung and Kim Ji Soo do NOT have any "love" chemistry at all, I just don't feel any love between them.
Instead, I find Gam Woo Sung the actor have better chemistry with the actress who play his wife HongRan, even the ways his eyes look at her, way better chemistry than YeoHwa.
This is definately an underrated drama, same as Gye Beak such a great drama but so underrated.

• 11 months later...

Frankly, it was just really annoying that the script ignored character, particularly Yeogu's, and with no logic, whatsoever, had him ignore Yeohwa's concerns, desires, etc.  It made no sense.  The AUDIENCE knew Yeogu wouldn't actually treat her the way the show had him treat her.  I wonder how the heck Kam Woo-Sung was able to reconcile playing those scenes?  They went totally against his character.
I think his chemistry was fine with both actresses - it was just different with each one.  Hongran was "one of the boys," to him, while Yeohwa was a "goddess."  The way he'd act around them would be different.  (And God knows he had plenty more scenes with "Hongran," than with "Yeohwa," which probably helped them build a stronger rapport).  The romantic aspect just made me bitter, though.  Yeohwa was the only one around Yeogu who was noble like he was (except when the writers conveniently turned him into a jerk over Yeohwa), even his best friends, and closest family never cared about him and what made him happy.  And it just blows my mind that anyone could prefer Hongran for Yeogu.  The moment she took Yeogu's mother's ring, when she knew that ring was all Yeogu had left of her, showed that her relationship with him was all about what she wanted for herself.  (Having said that, though, Hongran would've been the more interesting character to play.  She got to have all the fun.)
After all my complaining though, I loved the series when I saw it a few years ago, and really got wrapped up in Yeogu and Yeohwa.  It really broke my heart, so it basically takes Kam Woo-Sung's presence to drag me in front of a tv screen for a K-Drama.  I won't watch one, otherwise.  They're too manipulative and illogical, like soap operas.  Would love to see Mr. Kam playing more commanding, physical roles, though.  He doesn't always have to be a modern office worker... :-)

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2011 at 4:14 AM, 2Van123 said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. from the look of shock on Yeogu's face, it looks like he too has his doubts. Although I dislike Yeohwa's family, I still prefer her to Hongran. Even if all the "good" guys seem to support her, I find Hongran really annoying.

Please forgive this response to an old post--but I'm watching it by myself so just ignore. I'm just watching this drama and came across this post. A lot of people don't like Hongran, but I like her. She has been true and upfront the whole time. She also was willing to turn her back on family that was doing wrong in order to protect Yeogu. The princess claimed to love Yeogu, but not once did I hear her warn him that his family was planning to kill him. Nor did she try to warn him that they were going to try and kill him as he left to get on the ship. True to Hongran's nature, when she realized they were going to try and kill him, she ran to protect him. The princess was willing to sell herself so that her father could become king. I truly don't understand why Yeogu is so in love with a woman like her.

On 1/16/2015 at 7:19 AM, JamaicaK said:

Frankly, it was just really annoying that the script ignored character, particularly Yeogu's, and with no logic, whatsoever, had him ignore Yeohwa's concerns, desires, etc.  It made no sense.  The AUDIENCE knew Yeogu wouldn't actually treat her the way the show had him treat her.  I wonder how the heck Kam Woo-Sung was able to reconcile playing those scenes?  They went totally against his character.
I think his chemistry was fine with both actresses - it was just different with each one.  Hongran was "one of the boys," to him, while Yeohwa was a "goddess."  The way he'd act around them would be different.  (And God knows he had plenty more scenes with "Hongran," than with "Yeohwa," which probably helped them build a stronger rapport).  The romantic aspect just made me bitter, though.  Yeohwa was the only one around Yeogu who was noble like he was (except when the writers conveniently turned him into a jerk over Yeohwa), even his best friends, and closest family never cared about him and what made him happy.  And it just blows my mind that anyone could prefer Hongran for Yeogu.  The moment she took Yeogu's mother's ring, when she knew that ring was all Yeogu had left of her, showed that her relationship with him was all about what she wanted for herself.  (Having said that, though, Hongran would've been the more interesting character to play.  She got to have all the fun.)
After all my complaining though, I loved the series when I saw it a few years ago, and really got wrapped up in Yeogu and Yeohwa.  It really broke my heart, so it basically takes Kam Woo-Sung's presence to drag me in front of a tv screen for a K-Drama.  I won't watch one, otherwise.  They're too manipulative and illogical, like soap operas.  Would love to see Mr. Kam playing more commanding, physical roles, though.  He doesn't always have to be a modern office worker... :-)

Sorry, I'm FINALLY watching this drama after having it on my list to watch for years. I'm only on episode 26, but I can tell you that I do not like Yeohwa at all. I stopped liking her around episode 9 or 10 when she knew her family was plotting to take the throne from Yeogu's father, the king, and she gladly helped by going to the other king and telling him that she will join him in a conjugal relationship (be his consort)--even when her half brother tried to stop her. She's just overall fake to me. Then when she later found out her family was plotting to kill Yeogu, she made zero effort to try and stop them or even warn Yeogu. From that point on, I didn't and don't like her character. At first, I didn't know what to make of Hongran, but time and time again, she showed with more than words, that she truly loves Yeogu (well up to this point of ep 26). She is even going against her brother for him. What did Yeohwa tell Yeogu, "That she loves him, but she loves her father more." Please, she should have told her to kick rocks a moved on. Instead the writer having him acting like a lovesick fool for her. I wanted her to die so badly when she was cut with the sword, but my wish wasn't granted so.......I continue to watch.

Thanks for letting me vent by responding to your old post. .....:)

On 7/6/2011 at 5:46 PM, iledrama said:

Now to the actual story/drama - I know that some things were added to make the story more interesting. But I have to say this first. I truly despised the Yeowa character. Whew, I said it. She was so insufferable, and I just couldn’t get behind their Romeo and Juliet story. The whole time I kept asking - why did the Eoraha/king love her so much. Because she was heartbroken, she almost wiped off half the country, yet she had the nerve to act all righteous. Yeah, Hongran had her faults too, but as the drama progressed she got better/matured, while Yeowa seemed to mature backwards. How could she blame the king for killing her brothers, her brothers continuously tried to kill him, even has he gave them chances after chances, so because of that she turned her back on the king. So foolish! Because of their ill timed rebellion, they couldn’t finish off Gorguryeo, and we all know what that leads to later.

I'm only on episode 26 and I absolutely despise her already!!!  HongRan has truly shown her love for him while Yeogu didn't. When she didn't try  to warn him that her family was trying to kill him--I didn't like her from that moment on.

I too did not understand why Yeogu loved her so much. They met each other as very young children--only a few times. Then when they met again when they were older, neither one of them recognized each other. Then when they learned who each person was, it was instant love and meeting on a few occasions that I could count on one hand. I never understood the connection and she never came across as loving him enough to protect him.....as of episode 26.

Archived