[Drama 2010] Mary Stayed Out All Night / Marry Me, Mary! 매리는 외박중

Guest daily_tofu

Guest izi_tsurara

Yeah. I think the agreement with the father and later strongly supported by his memories with Mary.

My fav scenes

4. Love JI with his sunglasses

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9499/snapshot0016k.jpg

Finally I'm in Heaven. I'll resurrect myself next Mon. :w00t:

Love your post :) I died too and will resurrect myself next Mon too :)

In the scene where J has sunglasses he looks like from Desperado.

I'm curious why they didn't give prev to ep 5? And are they giving long previews like for Playful Kiss?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly love the deep analysis in ockoala's recap comment board between the blogger and nooozie...

http://ockoala.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/mary-stayed-out-all-night-episode-4-recap/#comment-6947

Nooozie:

As for the childhood playmates angle–it’s all so coincidental, what with the shared amnesia, the dead mother, the mysterious scarring, Obsessoid’s (aka JI's dad) desperate longing for Mae Ri, so I’m guessing that Mae Ri’s mother’s death was an accident inadvertently caused by young Jung In and Mae Ri. Obsessoid, obviously, is wanting to make reparations to the woman he loved, so he is hell-bent on taking care of Mae Ri for the rest of her life. (Though I have to wonder: does he need to do this by trapping her in marriage? Couldn’t he, I dunno, give her a job or something? Oh, whatever, I’m not going to quibble over this; it’s got enough potential to be really, really creepy and I’m not going to wonder about it, not now, anyway.)

Still, Mu Gyul and Mae Ri’s interaction takes the cake for me. I lovelovelove how they’re so wonderfully adorable together, what with the singing and the salvaging of garbage-cum-furniture (though I do admit the cement brick bookshelves are pretty cool) and the knitting and the hoodie-yanking and the bike-riding and the wiggling eyebrows. I appreciate how Mae Ri’s working her way into Mu Gyul’s life, and how he’s so utterly helpless to stop it: he really is putty in her hands. I admit, my heart kicked a little when he pulled on the 1.5 mittens and got all excited about a potential phone call from his Merry Christmas.

I admit I was a bit apprehensive about Mu Gyul’s impending mommy issues, given that JGS’s character in You’re Beautiful had those up the wazoo, but I’m pleasantly surprised by the angle this drama has taken. There’s none of the “mommy/daddy/other authority figure doesn’t love me” pathos. All three parents (and isn’t it funny how Jung In, Mae Ri and Mu Gyul are all products of a single-parent home?) no doubt love their children. Love isn’t in question here, but even so, the parent-child relationships here aren’t at all healthy. My goodness, considering a parent a god, who is at turns benevolent and cruel–oh, gosh, Jung In, your daddy issues, they scare me. Mu Gyul and Mae Ri both serve as children and caretakers to their respective parents, who, in turn, are both inherently childish and foolishly trusting.

We don’t know much about Mu Gyul’s mother, other than that she isn’t a very thoughtful or sensitive person, but I’m growing to really, really dislike Mae Ri’s father. I want to reach in there and shake him, mostly because, as much as he’s trying to convince himself that he’s forcing Mae Ri into this marriage for her own good, in the end, he’s doing it so those debt collectors and/or Obsessoid don’t throw him off a bridge. I can’t stand it because he’s making his daughter, who’s already been through enough upheavals due to his ridiculous business ventures to last a lifetime, shoulder a debt he, as her father, really ought to take responsibility for. What’s more, he expressly didn’t take her wishes into account, and seems to completely overlook the fact that his daughter would much rather be independent and self-sufficient than beholden to Jung In. This just makes me angry, and then he had to go and yell at Mu Gyul, which just made me angrier (could he not see the fancy recording equipment, the gallery of guitars? THIS MAN IS OBVIOUSLY SERIOUS ABOUT HIS MUSIC, AND THAT DESERVES RESPECT, DAD.) and then the moron went spying on his daughter and Mu Gyul; and if that isn’t creepy enough, he went and snapped pictures of Mu Gyul and his mom, which basically turned me into a giant squid of anger. (Okay, okay, maybe he’s not being completely unreasonable, because I can see how a father would be very worried if his daughter brought home an indie rocker as a husband. Fine. But it’s not at all fine if his primary motivation is breaking Mu Gyul and Mae Ri up is so she’d choose Jung In and therefore absolve him of debt.) Seriously, I just want to reach in there, smack him, and say, “Pay your own damn bills and let your daughter choose what she wants with her life!” He’s completely ignoring that she’s a very capable and intelligent young woman who obviously has more presence of mind than he himself does; by forcing her into a marriage, he’s robbing her of her agency for his selfish reasons, and I can’t stand that.

I suppose I should mention that I’m in love with Mu Gyul (as though it wasn’t obvious enough, hee.) A lot of that has to do with how laid-back and mellow he is is, but also because he is so much more than your stock all-about-peace-and-love hippie flower child character: he’s obviously got anger and abandonment issues, which I’m sure, stem from his mother and her flightiness. Sure, she loves him, sure, she showers him with affection whenever she drops by before getting distracted by something shiny, but what’s that ever done for him? She’s never stuck around, and if that love for him wasn’t enough for her to take up responsibility for him, what’s that say about the Power of Love to him? I think that’s why he won’t get together with The Ex-Girlfriend–she left. They still might care for each other, but she left, and whoops, Mu Gyul has moved on, because that’s how Mu Gyul’s learned to cope with abandonment, thanks to mom: he cuts off emotional connections and that’s that. It’s also why I think Mae Ri is going to be so good for him; she’ll love him, of course, but she’ll also be intensely loyal to him. That loyalty is a tangible manifestation of that love–the lack of which is symbolized, I think, by the lack of physical warmth in Mu Gyul’s life, and why I got such a kick out of the mittens Mae Ri is making for him, see, she’s giving him warmth already, awwwwww–and I think will make all the difference in their relationship. He just needs someone to put down roots with him, someone who’ll stick, and Mae Ri will end up doing that. Oh, gosh, no wonder I love this dynamic.

Ockoala:

(1) Agree 100% abou Mae-Ri’s dad, aka jerkwad. On the scale of horrible parenting that abounds in this entire drama, he might just take the cake. He SOLD MR as a bride. I mean, it’s all fun and games, and JI is the opposite of ugly or a freak, but ferrsakes, you SOLD your daughter to pay off your debt. If M3 were a makjang melo, he would die a terrible death at the end of the drama. What’s the worst thing about his sale of MR? The fact that your daughter tells you that she is in love with another man, and married him. And you still coerced her with your guilt trip into the 100 day marriage with JI. He is a useless douchebag that I would gladly drive to a bridge and then assist off the edge.

(2) Mae Ri and Mu Gyul – if they are not made for each other, in every conceivable drama sense, then I shall forsake eucalyptus leaves forever more. I love your connection that loyalty is the one thing MG needs, the one thing he has never had, and its the only thing MR has and knows how to share with the people she loves. She is loyal, to a fault. I worry when she feels torn between her loyalty to MG and her impending loyalty to JI. Girl’s gotta make a choice, and its going to be a doozy. What makes the baby-steps friendship and romantic development between MR and MG feel organic is that their attraction to each other doesn’t feel inauthentic the way so many OTPs in dramas end up feeling.

Sigh, I have so much brimming to write, but I somehow feel like the drama continues to surprise me, by taking entire oceanliners worth of cliches, and making me love it. At the end of ep. 4, we are lock, loaded, and ready to roll. I cannot wait for everyone to start falling in love. It’s hilarious that we’ve got the marriages before the falling in love part.

Nooozie:

And so I respectfully ask that you allow me to drive to that bridge with you, and we’ll shove the douchebag off together. Still, while the parenting in this drama isn’t as horrific as parenting found elsewhere in DramaLand, it’s still pretty cringe-inducing. I can’t decide whose head I want to introduce to a 2×4 first: Mae Ri’s dad, who has the nerve to trap his daughter–who has been doggedly loyal to him despite his ne’er-do-well ways–into a marriage she neither wants nor needs regardless of her WEDDDING to man she claims she loves, all to pay off his debt; Jung In’s father, who likewise uses his investment money to browbeat his son into a marriage neither party wants, all because of a lost love, and then ups the ante on poor Jung In without warning; or Mu Gyul’s mother, who obviously wouldn’t know what being thoughtful, kind, and dependable mean if they pinkberry-slapped her across the face.

Also, Mae Ri and Mu Gyul are made for each other. I’m just worried that the Big Separation will be a result of her choosing to be with Jung In because Obsessoid will be reveal that her dad’s fate (to be tossed off a bridge, or to not be tossed off a bridge?) and she’ll cave. Of course she’ll cave. And that’s why I want to reach in there and shake her, because while that loyalty is a wonderful trait, it also allows her father to embroil her in his various issues. If he were, say, a good father, he would have found a way to avoid her involvement at all, but I think we’re way past having actual expectations of this guy, anyway. Did no one ever tell this girl that the sins of father (or, rather, money owed to scary debt collectors) are not the sins of the child?

I wonder how Mu Gyul’s going to react to the impending threat of Jung In on his Merry Christmas. I mean, I can’t see him posturing. Can you? I don’t think he’s ever had to posture in his life, what with all the females falling all over him. I dunno, I just can’t imagine Mu Gyul participating in all the penis waving contests that the male leads in these dramas usually do. Hm.

Guest whiteberry192

I love the phone call scene in episode 4, where Mu Gyul asked Mary to stop calling him Jagiya... but when Mary calls him jagiya, he answered... hahaha... So sweet... hehe

Guest butterfinger

I've been lurking here since day one or more accurately since Epi1 was telecast.

When I saw the MMM Official Poster with Jang Geun Suk looking prettier than the female lead. I was having 2nd thoughts.. but since I love Moon Geun Young, I decided to give this drama a try.. After watching Epi1, I was 101% proven wrong. I never thought Jang Geun Suk could pull it off. I know he is a very good actor but I never thought he could look super duper HOT with long hair. Jang Geun Suk never fails to give me another reason why I'm in-love with him. Totally shipping for Kang Moo Kyul + Wi Mae Ri couple.

But...... after watching Epi4. Damn, I'm torn between two lovers. feelin' like a fool.. lovin' both Moo Kyul+Mae Ri & Jung In+Mae Ri is breakin' all the rules...

Before I ruined a perfectly good song, Let me thank http://ockoala.wordpress.com/ & http://www.dramabeans.com/ for recapping this drama. You guys are AWESOME. Also, thanks for everyone who provided the raw download links. You guys are a Life saver. Special mention to http://www.midnights-dreams.com/, thank you, you guys are my Life support.

Guest allygirl

Can anyone tell me about the rating of ep4 ?

Tkanks !

If i'm not mistaken, rating for ep 4:

8.8% for nationwide

9.6% for Seoul

Please correct me if wrong.

Hopefully, after SBS GIANT end, MSOAN will have higher ratings!!MSOAN fighting!!!

Guest kawaiiyuki

Thanks for subs for episode 3. I can't wait for episode 4!

Anyway, I love that smile/smirk JI had when first officially meeting Merry Christmas and called him a polite jerk . Did anyone catch that?

If i'm not mistaken, rating for ep 4:

8.8% for nationwide

9.6% for Seoul

Please correct me if wrong.

Hopefully, after SBS GIANT end, MSOAN will have higher ratings!!MSOAN fighting!!!

Oh, after Giant, I would even be more afraid, since Athena would be on... >.< The trailer looked good, and with such big names in that drama, and the fact that it's the spinoff of Iris, I don't hope for too much. Just for MMM to maintain the rating, and I would be happy enough... :P *sound so pessimistic, don't I? >.< *

Then again, rating doesn't mean squat with me, so I'm okay with whatever coming our way... :D

Just give me my dose of twice-weekly M&M crack, and I would be just fineeeee... :lol:

otchosais..i think we're the only ones crazy for THAT song

ahahhaha...i see that there's OST part 1..so maybe there would be a part 2.I HOPE

thanks so much for the softsubs alcoholic..thanks midnight dreams team

when I'm tracking that BG music, I've observe OST part 1 too... I tried researching using Korean characters and adding "part 2"... I've entered DAUM, and other sites but still, NO AVAIL of our "WANTED OST"... and I thought and guess, there will be another OST for MMM :wub:

Guest chingying7123

Subs for Episode 3 XviD-HANrel: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P8YHCCUO

This is for those awaiting the official softsub release by Midnight Dreams. I just joined and resynced the subs :) Full credits to Midnight Dreams for the translation!

thank you for the sub episode 3 midnight dream u guy rock with ur fast subbing and thank alchocoholic for the megaupload link

Guest kawaiiyuki

trying to spread out what i have left of episode 3 and waiting for subs on episode 4. Might end up rewatching 1-4 before the weekend if i have time (darn class work)

JungIn (who needs a nickname-anyone have one for him? Or i can just call him j-san) is starting to act less robotic I'm looking forward to this twisted relationship.

I'm ignoring the x girlfriend. I don't see why she's there. Oh wait just to annoy me. I'm not sure if i'm taking it out on the girlfriend or the manager. I don't see why JungIn doesn't just say Merry Christmas is his wife. I just want to shut the manager.

Hum...I am still not rooting for JI and MR...although I got a bit tempted by the picture story but nothing beats Mary Christmas and Happy New Year...for now :P

Finally we get to see SJ(the x-gf)...she makes the M&M relationship interesting. MG doesnt look very happy when she hugged him, rather emotionless but I believe ( like in nearly every drama) he kind of still like her. I like the relationship between MG and his mom. He loves her even though she is so undepenable. OK, now we at least know that his mom is not rich, but we dont know anything about his DADDY ...yet( he might also not know who his DADDY is - oh no, pls dont make the story too confusing v.v)

Haha the former manager of MG is like a witch! xD Never fails to make me laugh. Cant wait to see her reaction when she ll discover that MR is the director's wife. OOPS!! xD

Glad to see that the ratings are rising. But a 9 and around is fine right?

rm

Guest sctg_x316

wow this thread is moving fast! last time i checked there was around 800 replies but now there's like 1000!

just finished watching episode 3 and i'm more and more hooked on this show! i can't wait until episode 4 gets subbed! i really wanna see the last scene of episode 4 :wub:

i'm happy to see that the ratings for this drama are going up! woot! MSOAN fighting!

Guest bbolboys

hi everyone!

I've been lurking here since the first page i guess. The moment i had learned that this will be JGS's next project after YB, i had always checked on this thread to get some updates. blush.gif

And the day news came out that MGY will be the female lead of this show, i was like this :w00t:. haha. :wub: I'd always wanted to see them together in a show (Awards Night excluded. haha) because for me MGY is the best female star of her generation while JGS on the other hand is the best male star of his generation. I just feel like it would be awesome to watch their show that no matter how crappy the show can be as long as i can see the GeunGeun acting together, everthing will be fine. hahahaha....

The chemistry of the two is really great. Its like the bond between them is ionic (or is it covalent... just kidding)...hard to break! hahahaha!

I haven't watch ep4 yet. Soah in Midnight Dreams is current taking a break. :sweatingbullets: and i don't want to watch it raw. anyone here who knows where i can watch ep4 with english subs? how about supernun?

Archived