Charice, the first Asian to enter in Top 10 (NO. 8) spot in Billboard's Top 200 Chart

Guest popsicles

I know what you're saying LucasBunny. Fangirls/boys can get really crazy.

Although I don't agree with some of your posts in this thread, I also think some people are misunderstanding you.

I, on the other hand, have an issue with the "half-Asian" thing.

I'm too lazy to find the original post that says she's pretty, so she must be half CHinese or Japanese and quote it, but I seriously felt that comment was so wrong (and I'm not being defensive 'cause I'm full; I'm not full Asian, but the non-Asian blood in me is too insignificant to consider) To me, it sounded like a full Filipino can't be pretty, like she has to be half-something to be one. If you check out the beauty thread, people there worship Eurasians, and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Soompiers who at least want to be half (or full) Koreans. -_-

Anyway, to keep in topic, I'm really happy for Charice, and not just because she's Asian like me. -_-

She's gone a long way, and her album's not bad at all. I live in a state where there are not much Asians or Asian influence, but people I know actually know her, or, at least, her song Pyramid. I'm also glad she's not doing the excessive belting anymore.

I hope she doesn't go Disney though!

Oh, and about the Wonder Girls...uhh...most Kpop fans think they've made it big in the US and I think it's because they're more exposed to them and they know more about them, but seriously, the WG are just like their song..."nobody". IMO, they're even doing pretty bad in Korean right now. No offense though, I'm just stating my observations.

Well this is fair because in a debate of course people will disagree

I have an issue with the "half anything" working both ways, lol don't worry I know how crazy soompi is about mixed people and it can be pretty pathetic.

Your last paragraph made me laugh so hard and I need to say *preach*

Like I said while I do not prefer Charice's voice and I find her rather annoying I'm glad she was the one to do it because she is talented and she does work hard unlike the Wondergirls who are just a joke to the music industry.

I do not think Charice is talentless, I wish people would get that through their heads.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris22

I have an issue with the "half anything" working both ways, lol don't worry I know how crazy soompi is about mixed people and it can be pretty pathetic.

Like I said while I do not prefer Charice's voice and I find her rather annoying I'm glad she was the one to do it because she is talented and she does work hard unlike the Wondergirls who are just a joke to the music industry.

I do not think Charice is talentless, I wish people would get that through their heads.

Yep. Fair enough. Just don't take it too hard on the fans, these people just admire their idol. This is normal because of the mere fact that, well... they're fans. You think that Charice is annoying, while some people think she's the best there is at present. Its a matter of opinion only. None of us here are even KOLs to credibly stress our points. All we have are our own personal opinions. As much as you've put some of her fans in a frenzy of hate, I think you've been pretty objective so far. Do take note also that not every fan of Charice is a die-hard fanatic, there are many who admire her with an objective point of view. When it comes to artists, or art in general, its all a matter of personal preference.

I dislike those people who criticize artists like they were some big richard simmons music producer or some sort and treat fans like they were idiots. This is really unfair and uncalled for. Don't worry, I'm not talking about you, there are just some out there who are like that.

I do have to take pride of Charice being a pure asian, in birth and nurture. She's the first one who I, as an asian, can claim as fully my own. Apl d ap is one also, but people already gave him his props and he belongs to a group of equally talented western individuals. This kid Charice on the other hand is a solo act. And moreso, this kid proudly announces her nationality. Some "halfs" can't do that because they're more of american or european in blood and they were raised and trained as an artist in a country not in Asia. So I as an Asian, I cannot really claim them as a full Asian talent. Nothing against them though, none at all. Charice's and her success simply gives credit to where she came from and how she was bred to be a singer. Nothing against our western friends also, but they've been on top ever since. Its only about time that a homegrown asian talent gets recognition.

I watched WG in YT over at Wango Tango. They're good performers and are professional, they stick to their routine. Sadly, I also think they won't make it in the US. People just can't connect with them. They're just too Kpop. If they wanna make it, I think the first thing they need to do is sing more English songs. Good effort from them though.

Yep. Fair enough. Just don't take it too hard on the fans, these people just admire their idol. This is normal because of the mere fact that, well... they're fans. You think that Charice is annoying, while some people think she's the best there is at present. Its a matter of opinion only. None of us here are even KOLs to credibly stress our points. All we have are our own personal opinions. As much as you've put some of her fans in a frenzy of hate, I think you've been pretty objective so far. Do take note also that not every fan of Charice is a die-hard fanatic, there are many who admire her with an objective point of view. When it comes to artists, or art in general, its all a matter of personal preference.

I dislike those people who criticize artists like they were some big richard simmons music producer or some sort and treat fans like they were idiots. This is really unfair and uncalled for. Don't worry, I'm not talking about you, there are just some out there who are like that.

I watched WG in YT over at Wango Tango. They're good performers and are professional, they stick to their routine. Sadly, I also think they won't make it in the US. People just can't connect with them. They're just too Kpop. If they wanna make it, I think the first thing they need to do is sing more English songs. Good effort from them though.

I wasnt trying to generalize...but good grief the people on soompi get extremly cray cray if you disagree and think you have a vendetta against their idol/race.

I just have strong opinions about everything.

Guest deceitful.reverie

I do think the Wonder Girls have worked hard enough, too hard even; however, no matter how hard they tried, how many freebies they gave away with their cds, and how many other "popular" singers promoted them, they're still there...in the background. I think this is where talent comes to play; they're just lacking. Oh, and I also agree with Chris22, they just can't connect with the US audience.

To keep in topic (again :P), I also hope Charice doesn't get stuck in singing only RnBs. It may be alright for her now, but I want to see more variety in the future. I'm pretty sure she can do better than only singing songs that are "in". Right now, though, I'm just pleased she's not singing about annoying breakups, stupid relationships, and men. lol

Guest chris22

I do think the Wonder Girls have worked hard enough, too hard even; however, no matter how hard they tried, how many freebies they gave away with their cds, and how many other "popular" singers promoted them, they're still there...in the background. I think this is where talent comes to play; they're just lacking. Oh, and I also agree with Chris22, they just can't connect with the US audience.

To keep in topic (again :P), I also hope Charice doesn't get stuck in singing only RnBs. It may be alright for her now, but I want to see more variety in the future. I'm pretty sure she can do better than only singing songs that are "in". Right now, though, I'm just pleased she's not singing about annoying breakups, stupid relationships, and men. lol

:lol: yeah, the more annoying songs are those about sex. I can't believe that most "catchy" pop songs today should be about sex. That's when Mariah went sour for my taste. She suddenly went all slutty in her image and so did her songs. But of course I can't generalize all her most recent songs though. Some are still pretty decent.

Yeah, I think Charice is just in a phase right now. But for me I think it was the right strategy. I admire her capability to sing big songs of Whitney and Celine, but I can't imagine her singing her own mature songs like the artists she idolizes. At least not yet. She's a short 18 year old kid :P Mature songs just doesn't fit her right now. :lol: I agree also with one poster here, I REALLY HOPE SHE DOESN'T GO DISNEY ON US. :lol: Based on her songs now though, it doesn't sound Disney at all. (except "I love you")

I came across a youtube video (some fans are really really resourceful), it read an article in a canadian paper and it mentioned David Foster's plans for Charice when she was still 15/16. It seems as though, they really planned not to release her as a singer with an identity of her own till she was 18. So I guess her management really does have a plan for her and they are sticking to it. Pretty exciting I must say. I wasn't born yet when the likes of Celine was starting out, it must've been awesome to see her rise to legendary status step by step. This kid may not be there yet, but she does have strong potential to be the next one.

Guest showgunz

But who among these people are "authentic" Asian? When I say authentic, I mean not mixed and was born and raised in Asia.

"authentic"? wtf

i'm asian with a mix of afro

i was born in asia, raised in the states

i have never felt i was a fake asian, nor have i ever been treated as such

Then came out her Debut album, an international one, launched in no less than Oprah and debuted in Billboard 200 at number 8. A FIRST, FOR AN ARTIST OF PURE ASIAN DESCENT AND UPBRINGING. Detractors lose again.

You gotta give this girl some credit. She deserves it. If you're not a fan, then people could at least respect this kid. I'm saying this especially to Asians out there.

I'm sorry if "pure asian" bothers you too. I'm pure asian, and I was brought up in an asian culture and values. I'm proud to see someone like me making it in the world stage. If that's not enough reason for you to support a fellow asian, then so be it. But to make it clear, I do not support her just because she's asian, if I was such a die-hard asian fanatic, I would've campaigned for william hung. This kid Charice on the other hand, is the real deal. I believe she has the goods to support her claim to fame.

The title thread should be edited to be more accurate:

Charice, the FIRST ASIAN SOLO ARTIST to enter in TOP 10 (NO. 8) spot in BILLBOARD's TOP 200 ALBUM CHART

most, if not all, of the posts were giving her credit

but when some of her fans gave her too much credit so quickly

of course that will lead to disagreements

so what you're saying is..

we shouldn't acknowledge an artist because they aren't "pure asian", or "authentic"

and everybody should look at charice as being the first

i was proud when cassie debuted at #4

i was proud when michelle debuted at #2

and i'm proud of charice..but i will never look at her as being the first

Guest chris22

"authentic"? wtf

most, if not all, of the posts were giving her credit

but when some of her fans gave her too much credit so quickly

of course that will lead to disagreements

so what you're saying is..

we shouldn't acknowledge an artist because they aren't "pure asian", or "authentic"

and everybody should look at charice as being the first

i was proud when cassie debuted at #4

i was proud when michelle debuted at #2

and i'm proud of charice..but i will never look at her as being the first

you're going too far from this. No one said the artists you mentioned shouldn't be given credit because they should be. Confirm that Cassie and Michelle had an ALBUM that debuted in the top 10 of billboard 200. Because the thread I proposed "Charice, the FIRST ASIAN SOLO ARTIST to enter in TOP 10 (NO. 8) spot in BILLBOARD's TOP 200 ALBUM CHART" is accurate, based on fact and not misleading. Again, we're talking about albums here from a solo act. If you can confirm that Cassie and Michelle had a US ALBUM that debuted at the top 10 of billboard 200 then I will stand corrected as well as the thread starter. Go ahead, if you do confirm this, then all of Asia would be more happy to be enlightened with that information.

See, the way you are looking at it is that we're actually saying "Charice, THE FIRST EVER ASIAN TO HAVE A MUSICAL ACHIEVEMENT IN THE US", which is TOTALLY overboard. That's why I wanted the title to be edited more accurately, I do not want Charice to be given credit more than what is due to her. Key word here is ALBUM.

No one is racist here either. So stop implying that we're looking down upon people with mixed asian descent. I'm asian, why the heck would I want to discriminate people who are proud to be of the same race as me??

Furthermore, you can never deny that she is 100% asian by birth, by nationality and by nurture. Because SHE IS till today. That is factual. But no one ever said people with mixed asian descent should not be given the right to be proud of Charice. As far as I'm concerned, ANYONE from ALL RACES can be proud of her. Stop assuming so maliciously and don't read between the lines because no one wrote in between any lines.

Guest kensamor

"authentic"? wtf

Then good for you. Twist that whatever you want, it's your problem. I wasn't talking about you anyways.

Guest popsicles

ignore those negative comment guys just like what i did. it will just bring the thread down if you will answer them. PM them if youd really want to reply to their posts.

bte, have you seen her Halo cover? awesomeness!

Guest colloquy

you're going too far from this. No one said the artists you mentioned shouldn't be given credit because they should be. Confirm that Cassie and Michelle had an ALBUM that debuted in the top 10 of billboard 200. Because the thread I proposed "Charice, the FIRST ASIAN SOLO ARTIST to enter in TOP 10 (NO. 8) spot in BILLBOARD's TOP 200 ALBUM CHART" is accurate, based on fact and not misleading. Again, we're talking about albums here from a solo act. If you can confirm that Cassie and Michelle had a US ALBUM that debuted at the top 10 of billboard 200 then I will stand corrected as well as the thread starter. Go ahead, if you do confirm this, then all of Asia would be more happy to be enlightened with that information.

Yes, Michelle Branch's third album debuted on #2 on the Billboard 200.

This song is so generic. Shows that no matter what race you are, if you sound like everything else on the radio, you'll be successful.

Guest mechant-lapin

omg, I thought charice was a black chick. I never knew she was asian

her song pyramid sucked. It sounds so generic

Guest chris22

ignore those negative comment guys just like what i did. it will just bring the thread down if you will answer them. PM them if youd really want to reply to their posts.

bte, have you seen her Halo cover? awesomeness!

their arguments are within the thread topic.

Beyonce for me is the hardest to cover from all the divas. Sorry, I don't think Charice did a good job with Halo. What makes halo such a great song is because of Beyonce's style of singing and not her vocal ability. However, Charice did give more justice to "Listen" by beyonce though when she performed it live against beyonce's own live performace of the same song. She does pretty well with Whitney and Celine songs too.

If you wanna start giving Charice credit, you better start in complementing her own songs and not her covers anymore. She's passed covering artists. She has her own album already with her own original songs.

Guest chris22

Yes, Michelle Branch's third album debuted on #2 on the Billboard 200.

Michelle Branch is asian? :) I didn't know that. :lol: What is her nationality?

After a quick wikipedia search:

You cannot blame asians who are actually born, raised and still currently living in Asia to claim Charice as wholly their own. (without arguments of "no, because she's half american/australian or whatever. Because that's the arguments we get when we claim asian-mixed artists wholly our own. i.e. Nicole Shertzing..whatever.. from pussycat dolls). Because Charice is the same as the rest of us Asians without a US citizenship. What some people don't see is that Charice is born, trained and nurtured in an Asian country without the help of western talents and western education. Michelle branch can never claim that she's 100% asian, because if she did claim that she's 100% asian, then she would be disregarding her irish, dutch roots and american upbringing. It would be unfair for Michelle to claim she's 100% asian, and she never actually announced that she was 100% asian, and there is nothing wrong with that. that's how she was born and her upbringing made her into a great musical artist.

This song is so generic. Shows that no matter what race you are, if you sound like everything else on the radio, you'll be successful.

Yes, pyramid is a typical pop song. But nevertheless, fairly a lot of people find it catchy. Its good that Charice went this way (at least hopefully only for the moment) or she'll never reach the younger US audience.

Guest thua

According to wikipedia:

Michelle Branch:

Her father is of Irish descent, and her mother is of Dutch Indonesian and French descent.

Guest WeSCxOrisue88

when did this become about race? it's not charice that labeled herself "as the first asian blah blah blah." just let her live her dream and if you don't like her voice or her music do yourself a favor and turn off the radio, move on with life. this page is about charice appreciation, not a comparative race/ethnicity study or a flame war.

i personally think charice could blow and sing all day with amazing ballads but i'm glad she's choosing to do top 40 type of music. you might call it generic, but what isn't on the radio today?

i heard she's guesting on regis & kelly on June 12th and Ellen sometime this summer. shes also recording a japanese single and album. so kudos and luck to her future prospects~

Guest showgunz

Then good for you. Twist that whatever you want, it's your problem. I wasn't talking about you anyways.

when you refer to people of mixed asian race not being authentic..

not only are you talking about me, but generalizing anybody who is a mix of asian

http://www.billboard.com/artist/michelle-b...05&g=Albums

http://www.billboard.com/artist/cassie/cha...05&g=Albums

See, the way you are looking at it is that we're actually saying "Charice, THE FIRST EVER ASIAN TO HAVE A MUSICAL ACHIEVEMENT IN THE US", which is TOTALLY overboard. That's why I wanted the title to be edited more accurately, I do not want Charice to be given credit more than what is due to her. Key word here is ALBUM.

No one is racist here either. So stop implying that we're looking down upon people with mixed asian descent. I'm asian, why the heck would I want to discriminate people who are proud to be of the same race as me??

Furthermore, you can never deny that she is 100% asian by birth, by nationality and by nurture. Because SHE IS till today. That is factual. But no one ever said people with mixed asian descent should not be given the right to be proud of Charice. As far as I'm concerned, ANYONE from ALL RACES can be proud of her. Stop assuming so maliciously and don't read between the lines because no one wrote in between any lines.

um...no

you said she was the "FIRST ASIAN SOLO ARTIST to enter the TOP 10 in the BILLBOARD TOP 200

and that's what i'm responding to

all i've done is point out that your "FACT" is wrong

and all i did in my original post was point out a FACT, that counterpoints the thread title

also, i have not asked anybody to credit or discredit any artist. that was you.

"You gotta give this girl some credit. She deserves it. If you're not a fan, then people could at least respect this kid. I'm saying this especially to Asians out there."

add that to your "FACT" and you're discrediting other artists of asian descent

where did i say anything that was a knock on charice?

where did i say anything about who's allowed to be proud of charice?

all i said was i won't give her credit for a fan's false claim

please feel free to point out anywhere that i have been negative

Guest amaineko

omg, I thought charice was a black chick. I never knew she was asian

her song pyramid sucked. It sounds so generic

I think some black girl posted "This girl can sing like a black girl".. I think that is a compliment. :)

And Pyramid is admittedly generic like her manager said on an interview.,I think it's a strategy that they're using for her to reach a wider market.. as discussed by her manager..

Mark Johnston Interview

They are gearing her for longtime career. We'll see in the future is this works of course.

Archived