Charice, the first Asian to enter in Top 10 (NO. 8) spot in Billboard's Top 200 Chart

Guest popsicles

I didn't know Filipinos are considered asians. 0_o

She's pretty though. I think she probably has some Chinese or Japanese blood in her.

powderpuffgasp.gif

...Okay then......

I've seen her perform live last night and I must admit it's totally different. And as for Charice's supposedly "shouting/belting"..I must say you gotta hear her perform live 1st.

And LucasBunny I don't think I gave answer for

who is the BEST/ Greatest..because there is no such thing as that.. For one person's perspective is different from another right?

Let's put it this way, for a Mariah Carey fan she is the best. For a WG fan, they are the best... Whitney Houston fans for Whitney Houston etc.

And no one is upset. I guess it's typical to react that way if you're a fan. So let's just leave it as difference in opinion. Discussions like this will probably end up getting heated so better to just leave it @ that..

I have heard her sing live plenty of times and my opinion stands

As for the bold that's fine and there is actually some truth to it because it's a matter of OPINION so people should not state it as if they are facts like popsicle did.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest blisss

I didn't know Filipinos are considered asians. 0_o

geography lesson: Philippines is in Southeast Asia.

yeah. along with that, there is a large filipino chinese community all over the islands of the philipines.

Lucas, do you have 100 million dollars to begin with? lolz I wont be arguing with you anymore. Dont want this thread to be close just for meaningless convos.

even how good legendary dion have detractors right? some people still think she isnt good right?

LMFAO!!!!

Guest WeSCxOrisue88

i do agree with LucasBunny though about the greats that have paved the way. only time will tell and there is obviously no one to validate who is truly the "best." we can only pay tribute and respect the divas and balladeers of the past and encourage those like charice, tiffany evans, alexis jordan and many others with amazing voices to keep talent alive in the industry.

as an asian, i would rather support charice than other crossover acts (i.e. wondergirls) to successfully break in the US as well.

Guest scorsagian

^ sometimes I feel like people, haters or not, just come in here to instigate arguments to get this thread CLOSED.

That's why I don't react and don't comment or respond to posts with so much negativity. Other fans do take the bait and get all heated up, which, inevitably arguments ensue.

CHARICE FANS! Please do not react to negative replies, it's purpose is to INSTIGATE. Don't fall for it.

And anyway, when someone claims Charice isn't or is the best, so what? For you, she may or may not be the best. That's okay. No one hates or loves you more for it. She's not better or worse than your favorite artist. She's just her, Charice, uniquely her own.

Let's just appreciate her music as it is and be happy that finally she made it this far. If you read a negative reply, smile. Why? Because she MADE it this FAR and that's enough proof! I hope that she can continue to soar. I hope that her fans mature with her career too.

On a lighter note, I CANNOT WAIT FOR HER JAPANESE promotions! I heard that she was going to sing in Japanese! lol that'll be something to look forward to!

Again, FANS do not REACT. IGNORE. Don't let this thread get closed down.

^ sometimes I feel like people, haters or not, just come in here to instigate arguments to get this thread CLOSED.

That's why I don't react and don't comment or respond to posts with so much negativity. Other fans do take the bait and get all heated up, which, inevitably arguments ensue.

CHARICE FANS! Please do not react to negative replies, it's purpose is to INSTIGATE. Don't fall for it.

And anyway, when someone claims Charice isn't or is the best, so what? For you, she may or may not be the best. That's okay. No one hates or loves you more for it. She's not better or worse than your favorite artist. She's just her, Charice, uniquely her own.

Let's just appreciate her music as it is and be happy that finally she made it this far. If you read a negative reply, smile. Why? Because she MADE it this FAR and that's enough proof! I hope that she can continue to soar. I hope that her fans mature with her career too.

On a lighter note, I CANNOT WAIT FOR HER JAPANESE promotions! I heard that she was going to sing in Japanese! lol that'll be something to look forward to!

Again, FANS do not REACT. IGNORE. Don't let this thread get closed down.

You guys think just because people DISAGREE then that = troublemaker

I was defending her in my first post of the thread I was not badmouthing her and I have not badmouthed her yet.

I never called her talentess, ugly or anything like that.

You fangirls really need to get over yourselves.

Guest kensamor

but i gotta call BS on the title of the thread

off the top of my head..i know both cassie & michelle branch debuted in the top 10

if ya wanna take it further..

mr hahn & mike shinoda with linkin park

apl.de.ap with black eyed peas

nicole sherzinger with pussycat dolls

pretty sure those groups made top 10

But who among these people are "authentic" Asian? When I say authentic, I mean not mixed and was born and raised in Asia.

Guest chris22

You see, the problem is when people start comparing artists. It will be a never ending debate.

For charice's fans, it would be wise if you tone down a bit. She's a spectacular new artist, but she is just at the on-set of her career. Comparing her to legends like whitney, celine and mariah or other artists out there and saying she's miles better is a bit over the top. Charice is Charice. Period. Let her talents speak for herself. She's doing pretty well so far, right? So let Oprah and David do all the hype. The last thing you want is to put too much pressure and expectations on your idol. You would not want people to see her as an overrated talent.

As for the naysayers here, well... I was also a Charice skeptic at one point in time. I thought she was just a novelty item for the media to feed on and wane after a couple of months. But... apparently, she's not...

Time and time again, this quite remarkable talent has proven her detractors wrong. When Filipinos said she wouldn't even make it in the local scene, Charice went to to Europe and recorded songs. When Filipinos said she wasn't even going further than that, she went to South Korea and blew everyone away. Still, her FIlipino detractors won't budge, saying she's just a novelty.... So she went to the US and performed for Ellen, where she got her first standing ovation from a western audience. STILL, the Filipino detractors were at it, even laughing at her because she was such a novelty-- a little girl with a big voice. I must admit, I was embarrassed when people called her a circus act. Then Paul O'Grady in London came along but no one in Asia really knew Paul O'Grady.

A few months went without a word from Charice and her detractors were at a frenzy. Telling everyone "I told you so". Then... Oprah Winfrey came along. At this point, even I was a little shocked. And so began the start of her US career from then on.

What really caught my attention and respect for this talent was not because of her appearances in Ellen and Oprah but how she handled herself and her performances. She was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. She blew my shoes off! She engages her audience very, very well. And apparently, she touches people deeply. AND SHE'S CONSISTENT AT IT. Only a few singers can do this and they are the great ones. But this girl is just 18!

So people started to look for other reasons to bash this kid. They looked for her flaws. After Oprah, the Foster and Friends Tour debut performance and the Bocelli and Celine duet, only a few were questioning her singing prowess. Now her detractors went on saying she was just a a mimic. Nothing but a copycat. No originality. At this point, I was veering away from her naysayers. Clearly, some people were just looking for ways to further ridicule this kid.

Then came out her Debut album, an international one, launched in no less than Oprah and debuted in Billboard 200 at number 8. A FIRST, FOR AN ARTIST OF PURE ASIAN DESCENT AND UPBRINGING. Detractors lose again.

You gotta give this girl some credit. She deserves it. If you're not a fan, then people could at least respect this kid. I'm saying this especially to Asians out there.

Clearly, if this kid did not have the goods to back up all the hype, she would not even make it this far.

As an Asian, I'll support this kid. Hopefully, her success opens up the doors for other Asian musical talents. Its about time Asia gets some recognition, we have a lot of music to offer the world.

...I have an issue with the whole "Pure asian" thing because I honestly feel like people who are mixed are being looked down on for that very reason.

It's really not fair to look down on people and exclude them just because they are from mixed heritage, that would be like me not giving credit to Alicia Keys, Jasmine Guy, Lisa Bonet, and Halle Berry because they are sucessful but also only HALF black.

I know that this is a little off topic,,,but I have a problem with things like that.

Anyways, I can only speak for myself I am not "hating" on anybody because there is no reason to hate.

I already said Charice is talented, just because I am not afraid to express my opinion it doesnt mean I'm hating.

I will not bow down to Charice just because she's asian, I don't give support just because someone is a certain race and I am sorry if that bothers you.

Guest chris22

...I have an issue with the whole "Pure asian" thing because I honestly feel like people who are mixed are being looked down on for that very reason.

It's really not fair to look down on people and exclude them just because they are from mixed heritage, that would be like me not giving credit to Alicia Keys, Jasmine Guy, Lisa Bonet, and Halle Berry because they are sucessful but also only HALF black.

I know that this is a little off topic,,,but I have a problem with things like that.

Anyways, I can only speak for myself I am not "hating" on anybody because there is no reason to hate.

I already said Charice is talented, just because I am not afraid to express my opinion it doesnt mean I'm hating.

I will not bow down to Charice just because she's asian, I don't give support just because someone is a certain race and I am sorry if that bothers you.

jeez... why are you so guilty? then don't support her, no one is forcing you to. Let her fans enjoy her success, if you don't like it, well.. there really is nothing you can do about it. No one told you to "bow down" to her (as you inappropriately put it).

No one is putting anyone down. I'm merely saying I am proud that an artist with pure asian descent and UPBRINGING has achieved international recognition. You need not put malice in my words.

I'm sorry if "pure asian" bothers you too. I'm pure asian, and I was brought up in an asian culture and values. I'm proud to see someone like me making it in the world stage. If that's not enough reason for you to support a fellow asian, then so be it. But to make it clear, I do not support her just because she's asian, if I was such a die-hard asian fanatic, I would've campaigned for william hung. This kid Charice on the other hand, is the real deal. I believe she has the goods to support her claim to fame.

Guest kensamor

Oh come on now that's not right, you make it sound as if there is a such thing as psuedo asians :angry: :angry:

No Ma'am, that's not what I'm trying to say. You can twist it whatever you want, that's your problem. What I was just saying is that the thread title is correct. And in this century, she's probably the only cross-over pop singer that has gone that far. I do not look down on mixed people because my son is also mixed.

Guest deceitful.reverie

I was defending her in my first post of the thread I was not badmouthing her and I have not badmouthed her yet.

I know what you're saying LucasBunny. Fangirls/boys can get really crazy.

Although I don't agree with some of your posts in this thread, I also think some people are misunderstanding you.

It's really not fair to look down on people and exclude them just because they are from mixed heritage, that would be like me not giving credit to Alicia Keys, Jasmine Guy, Lisa Bonet, and Halle Berry because they are successful but also only HALF black.

I, on the other hand, have an issue with the "half-Asian" thing.

I'm too lazy to find the original post that says she's pretty, so she must be half CHinese or Japanese and quote it, but I seriously felt that comment was so wrong (and I'm not being defensive 'cause I'm full; I'm not full Asian, but the non-Asian blood in me is too insignificant to consider) To me, it sounded like a full Filipino can't be pretty, like she has to be half-something to be one. If you check out the beauty thread, people there worship Eurasians, and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Soompiers who at least want to be half (or full) Koreans. -_-

Anyway, to keep in topic, I'm really happy for Charice, and not just because she's Asian like me. -_-

She's gone a long way, and her album's not bad at all. I live in a state where there are not much Asians or Asian influence, but people I know actually know her, or, at least, her song Pyramid. I'm also glad she's not doing the excessive belting anymore.

I hope she doesn't go Disney though!

Oh, and about the Wonder Girls...uhh...most Kpop fans think they've made it big in the US and I think it's because they're more exposed to them and they know more about them, but seriously, the WG are just like their song..."nobody". IMO, they're even doing pretty bad in Korean right now. No offense though, I'm just stating my observations.

I agree. Charice fans are always so defensive and HAHA instigate?

wow.

Guest chris22

I agree. Charice fans are always so defensive and HAHA instigate?

wow.

Maybe that's because they're fans. Let them be, let them celebrate. Don't single out the fans of Charice, all fans act this way.

Guest chris22

The title thread should be edited to be more accurate:

Charice, the FIRST ASIAN SOLO ARTIST to enter in TOP 10 (NO. 8) spot in BILLBOARD's TOP 200 ALBUM CHART

Guest bunsen

You see, the problem is when people start comparing artists. It will be a never ending debate.

For charice's fans, it would be wise if you tone down a bit. She's a spectacular new artist, but she is just at the on-set of her career. Comparing her to legends like whitney, celine and mariah or other artists out there and saying she's miles better is a bit over the top. Charice is Charice. Period. Let her talents speak for herself. She's doing pretty well so far, right? So let Oprah and David do all the hype. The last thing you want is to put too much pressure and expectations on your idol. You would not want people to see her as an overrated talent.

As for the naysayers here, well... I was also a Charice skeptic at one point in time. I thought she was just a novelty item for the media to feed on and wane after a couple of months. But... apparently, she's not...

Time and time again, this quite remarkable talent has proven her detractors wrong. When Filipinos said she wouldn't even make it in the local scene, Charice went to to Europe and recorded songs. When Filipinos said she wasn't even going further than that, she went to South Korea and blew everyone away. Still, her FIlipino detractors won't budge, saying she's just a novelty.... So she went to the US and performed for Ellen, where she got her first standing ovation from a western audience. STILL, the Filipino detractors were at it, even laughing at her because she was such a novelty-- a little girl with a big voice. I must admit, I was embarrassed when people called her a circus act. Then Paul O'Grady in London came along but no one in Asia really knew Paul O'Grady.

A few months went without a word from Charice and her detractors were at a frenzy. Telling everyone "I told you so". Then... Oprah Winfrey came along. At this point, even I was a little shocked. And so began the start of her US career from then on.

What really caught my attention and respect for this talent was not because of her appearances in Ellen and Oprah but how she handled herself and her performances. She was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. She blew my shoes off! She engages her audience very, very well. And apparently, she touches people deeply. AND SHE'S CONSISTENT AT IT. Only a few singers can do this and they are the great ones. But this girl is just 18!

So people started to look for other reasons to bash this kid. They looked for her flaws. After Oprah, the Foster and Friends Tour debut performance and the Bocelli and Celine duet, only a few were questioning her singing prowess. Now her detractors went on saying she was just a a mimic. Nothing but a copycat. No originality. At this point, I was veering away from her naysayers. Clearly, some people were just looking for ways to further ridicule this kid.

Then came out her Debut album, an international one, launched in no less than Oprah and debuted in Billboard 200 at number 8. A FIRST, FOR AN ARTIST OF PURE ASIAN DESCENT AND UPBRINGING. Detractors lose again.

You gotta give this girl some credit. She deserves it. If you're not a fan, then people could at least respect this kid. I'm saying this especially to Asians out there.

Clearly, if this kid did not have the goods to back up all the hype, she would not even make it this far.

As an Asian, I'll support this kid. Hopefully, her success opens up the doors for other Asian musical talents. Its about time Asia gets some recognition, we have a lot of music to offer the world.

A+

Mirrors my exact sentiments about her

Guest amaineko

^hmmm... The thread is @ least moving now. :)

Anyway, I'm gonna ignore the fact that there is one argument about what is pure Asian..(We're all in Asia...or at least have Asian blood ..so let's not start a discussion about that)

Moving forward..She mention last night that there is a surprise although she can not mentioned it yet..I wonder what it is..

By the way, she's pretty hilarious when she wants to.. There was this scene last night where some cheeky fans put on masks (pictures of D.R.S., David F, Oprah, Iyaz, Justin B) and she called one on stage when she sang "I Did It For You"..Her duet with DRS.

And here's another in Vienna.. The people asked her to sing an MJ song but she was wearing high heeled shoes so she said "Naka-heels ako e.." (But I'm wearing heels)

Vienna

Here's a more complete one, in the 1st part they asked her to sing one of her singles...

Guest chris22

^hmmm... The thread is @ least moving now. :)

Anyway, I'm gonna ignore the fact that there is one argument about what is pure Asian..(We're all in Asia...or at least have Asian blood ..so let's not start a discussion about that)

Moving forward..She mention last night that there is a surprise although she can not mentioned it yet..I wonder what it is..

If it really is a GLEE guesting... wow... that'll be really big. Don't assume yet, though.

By the way, she's pretty hilarious when she wants to.. There was this scene last night where some cheeky fans put on masks (pictures of D.R.S., David F, Oprah, Iyaz, Justin B) and she called one on stage when she sang "I Did It For You"..Her duet with DRS.

Did she really sing "nobody's singin' to me" last night? My fiance is looking for that performance.

And here's another in Vienna.. The people asked her to sing an MJ song but she was wearing high heeled shoes so she said "Naka-heels ako e.." (But I'm wearing heels)

Vienna

Here's a more complete one, in the 1st part they asked her to sing one of her singles...

Guest Atmosphere.

Wow O_O

Yeah she has a nice voice, but wow. O_O

It also makes me think most of her fans are Filipino/Filipinas though that helped her get to the chart O_O

I understand she was in Oprah Winfrey show, Elle Degeneres, Star King, etc but WOW O_O

I do love her song, Pyramid Feat. Iyaz a lot too, but just still shocked @_@

Archived