Charice, the first Asian to enter in Top 10 (NO. 8) spot in Billboard's Top 200 Chart

Guest popsicles

Guest popsicles

Wow! At the top, Baby!
Charice is the FIRST ASIAN AND FILIPINO to enter in TOP 10 (NO. 8) spot in BILLBOARD TOP 200

charice_albumcover_small2.jpg

1866478_height370_width560.jpg

Holz_Charice_Shot_I_0906.jpg

‘Charice’ debuts at No. 8 on Billboard 200; 'Pyramid’ expected to ‘scale multiple charts’

After her second international single, “Pyramid,” topped the Billboard Dance/Club chart, comes Charice with her eponymous debut album which zooms to number eight on the Billboard 200 this week on strength of her album launch and fourth appearance on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” on May 11.

Billboard.com reported album sales of 43,000 copies, trailing behind the latest CD of R&B singer Usher. The feat, Charice said via Twitter, is a “dream come true.”

This development somewhat alleviates the pressure posed on the 18-year old Filipina star whom some say may have a challenging time penetrating the US teen market because of being heavily identified with the “moms” segment from her guest appearances on "Oprah."

The YouTube sensation is identified as the little girl with the big voice who can belt out power ballads by Celine Dion and Whitney Houston. However, as Associated Press puts it, “these days, it's the grooves behind the big voice that matter.”

Released last Feb. 23, "Pyramid" took a protracted climb at the Billboard Dance/Club Party Chart, reaching the top almost three months later. So far, the single is yet to penetrate the Billboard Hot 100.

Charice’s mentor, producer extraordinaire David Foster, who is also responsible for some of Celine’s and Whitney’s hits back in the days, told AP in an interview that he is well aware of the challenge, that’s why they made a “conscious decision” to make the petite belter’s sound more appealing and accessible to her generation.

The result: A pop-R&B album which features not only Charice’s “towering voice” but also the artistic services of young writers and producers. These include in-demand songwriter Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic and Swedish songwriter David Jassy, who co-wrote “Pyramid.”

With the proliferation of hook-laden pop songs, which seem to be nothing more than the hooks, David believes that Charice has a musical gap to fill.

"There is a lack of organic music right now, and it's fine - it's just the phase that we're in. I think there is room for some more musicality," he said. More, “[Charice] has the entire package.”

In spite of these issues, Billboard predicts that “like any strong pop song, expect this one (“Pyramid”) to scale multiple charts.” The song also earned praise from the popular American music mag, which described it as “a radio-friendly number about defying the odds while displaying the kind of vocal range that other budding pop stars simply don't have.” It “ultimately sounds believable because of Charice's conviction in her delivery.”

Other Charice highlights

The new pop princess can now add “Cable News Network (CNN)” to her long list of international guest appearances. Last May 19, Charice had a sit-down with the US channel’s Shannon Cook, to whom she related how she was first discovered by her mom Raquel singing Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On” on top of their table at four years old, to becoming “the most talented girl in the world” as accorded no less than Oprah.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/258176/chari...multiple-charts

Good for you that you know how to google, however we are talking about Top 10 in the billboard 200 not Billboard Hot 100

Billboard 200 (tracks Album sales NOT singles)

Jaysean - # 37

MIA - # 18

Kyu Sakamoto - Did not release an album in the USA

This is what she accomplished this week

Billboard Hot 200 Albums (US) #8 (Debut)

Billboard Hot Digital Albums (US) #8 (Debut)

Billboard Hot 100 Songs (US) - Pyramid #56 (Debut)

Billboard Hot Digital Songs (US) - Pyramid #32 (Debut)

Billboard Dance Play Chart (US) - Pyramid Remix #12 (13 weeks on chart, peaked at No. 1)

Billboard Hot 200 Albums (Canada) #4 (Debut)

Billboard Hot 100 Songs (Canada) - Pyramid #41 (5 weeks on chart)

Billboard Dance Club songs (US) - Pyramid #12 (13 weeks on Chart)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest amaineko

Her album rocks! Songs on replay mode:

Reset

Pyramid

I Love You

Nobody Singing to Me

I Did It for you (Duet with Varsity Fanclub's Drew Ryan Scott)

Nothing

In Love So Deep

In This Song

Guest iPhets

OMG I DID NOT KNOW CHARICE IS AN ASIAN.

she sounds good in mp3, i wonder how she sounds like live.

good for her!!

Guest zeidrich

OMG I DID NOT KNOW CHARICE IS AN ASIAN.

she sounds good in mp3, i wonder how she sounds like live.

good for her!!

ehehehehe, she pure asian

Guest anhyi

Congrats not to take away her accomplishments but the title is wrong she is not the first. Example of such modern artists include Jay Sean and MIA. Others notable Asians that entered the charts were Pink Lady, and Kyu Sakamoto. There hasn't been many, but Charice is definitely not the first.

Congrats not to take away her accomplishments but the title is wrong she is not the first. Example of such modern artists include Jay Sean and MIA. Others notable Asians that entered the charts were Pink Lady, and Kyu Sakamoto. There hasn't been many, but Charice is definitely not the first.

I dont remember them entering top ten

Guest anhyi

I dont remember them entering top ten

Correct me if I'm wrong but

Jay Sean - Down #1 Billboard 100

MIA - Paper Planes #4 Billboard 100

Kyu Sakamoto - Sukiyaki # 1 Billboard 100

Google is your friend.

Guest mayonaise

FIRST ASIAN to enter in TOP 10 (NO. 8) spot in BILLBOARD's TOP 200 CHART :)

Guest Charicemaniacs

Google is your friend.

Good for you that you know how to google, however we are talking about Top 10 in the billboard 200 not Billboard Hot 100

Billboard 200 (tracks Album sales NOT singles)

Jaysean - # 37

MIA - # 18

Kyu Sakamoto - Did not release an album in the USA

This is what she accomplished this week

Billboard Hot 200 Albums (US) #8 (Debut)

Billboard Hot Digital Albums (US) #8 (Debut)

Billboard Hot 100 Songs (US) - Pyramid #56 (Debut)

Billboard Hot Digital Songs (US) - Pyramid #32 (Debut)

Billboard Dance Play Chart (US) - Pyramid Remix #12 (13 weeks on chart, peaked at No. 1)

Billboard Hot 200 Albums (Canada) #4 (Debut)

Billboard Hot 100 Songs (Canada) - Pyramid #41 (5 weeks on chart)

Billboard Dance Club songs (US) - Pyramid #12 (13 weeks on Chart)

I still don't care for her music but I just wanna tell people...her management is promoting her very well and this is why she is doing well.

I'm saying this because people always say asians fail in the US because america is racist and that is not the case, those artists failed due to lack of promotion and exposure.

This is the CORRECT way to make a debut people.

Guest Khikarugal

wait Jay Sean is asian?? O_O i did not know tat! lol

congrats to her!

His name doesn't sound asian does it? LOL~ but yeah, he's Indian. :D

Anyway, yeah! Go Charice! She's makin' it big!

Guest nana544

Congrats to Charice =). She totally deserve it!! I'm so proud and happy for her. On a side note, she is very pretty and cute.

Guest angelzstar

I just listened to her new album yesterday and it's really good! Her songs are growing on me!

Guest amaineko

Google is your friend.

Hehehe... Top 200 is for album sales. For her to sell more than 40K on the 1st week of release in the US, that is a great feat for an Asian in the U.S. I expect she'll become even more famous in a span of 1 year. She will promoting her album from June to October. She's fully booked for a year already. CNN interviewed her..Radio stations all over the US are inviting her to guest. Let's see..this is an exciting year for her and fans like me.

By the way, she likes 2NE1! I think she might be following Kpop as well.

2NE1Fever.jpg

8.jpg

Her tweet regarding entering #8 in Billboard 200

She's even danced to Sorry Sorry English version last Christmas. (But this may be because she's close to Drew Ryan Scott- one of the composers of Sorry Sorry, Shinee's Amigo and Taeyang's Sinner...who also contributed to her hit Pyramid)

Watch this very funny clips from Vienna:

This part in encore. I think people requested her to sing one of her original songs "Always you" but they can not find the music. They played it but she said "Wait, I think that's the one with words..Let's try"... She lip synced..Then some people why not sing capella, so she started beat boxing..Eventually someone shouted "Michael Jackson"..She replied "But I'm wearing heals"... hehehe..She still did a great job though:

Charice's Billy Jean in Dress and High Heals

One of her great traits aside from singing even better in live performances than recording: her quick wit! Another is voice impersonation... Like Justine Bieber:

The speaking voice is completely JB! hahaha...

Guest Charicemaniacs

Hehehe... Top 200 is for album sales. For her to sell more than 40K on the 1st week of release in the US, that is a great feat for an Asian in the U.S. I expect she'll become even more famous in a span of 1 year. She will promoting her album from June to October. She's fully booked for a year already. CNN interviewed her..Radio stations all over the US are inviting her to guest. Let's see..this is an exciting year for her and fans like me.

By the way, she likes 2NE1! I think she might be following Kpop as well.

2NE1Fever.jpg

8.jpg

Her tweet regarding entering #8 in Billboard 200

She's even danced to Sorry Sorry English version last Christmas. (But this may be because she's close to Drew Ryan Scott- one of the composers of Sorry Sorry, Shinee's Amigo and Taeyang's Sinner...who also contributed to her hit Pyramid)

Watch this very funny clips from Vienna:

This part in encore. I think people requested her to sing one of her original songs "Always you" but they can not find the music. They played it but she said "Wait, I think that's the one with words..Let's try"... She lip synced..Then some people why not sing capella, so she started beat boxing..Eventually someone shouted "Michael Jackson"..She replied "But I'm wearing heals"... hehehe..She still did a great job though:

Charice's Billy Jean in Dress and High Heals

One of her great traits aside from singing even better in live performances than recording: her quick wit! Another is voice impersonation... Like Justine Bieber:

The speaking voice is completely JB! hahaha...

One name between Filipinos thier affinity with this particular K-pop group. Sandara Park

Guest amaineko

One name between Filipinos thier affinity with this particular K-pop group. Sandara Park

Yup, she was famous here even before she went back to Korea. Not quite sure if Charice ever met her though. They are from the same network ABS CBN.

By the way she also debuted @ # 4 in Canadian Billboard. :lol:

Archived