Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

16 hours ago, ILSYJSG said:

Really? I see friendly banter between the two but don't really see how their off-screen chemistry can beat that in Shark. However I can see that KNG is clearly smitten by SYJ and has always been caring and protective during their interactions.

Because there were rumors about SYJ and KNG, I decided to watch some BTS and other videos of them, and read articles, and my personal opinion (not gospel truth) is that something went on between the two of them. Whether it was the initial stages of dating, or exclusive relationship, there was something. And then eventually, things happened and it did not work out.

Eg. With SJS, JHI - sibling vibes

Gosh, especially with SJS when they were doing BWY promos. SYJ loved to tease him like a younger sister trying to annoy his older brother.

Being an impatient person, I must confess that I find April Snow and In The Mood For Love too slow and depressing for my liking.

I don't blame you, my husband is the same way, he wants action immediately. Even the better paced AMTR, he still found boring. The only SYJ movie he liked was BWY and that's because I asked him to stick with it so he can explain the ending to me. 

I’ve been wanting to watch The Truth Beneath but can’t bring myself to at the time because of KJH. Anyway I manage to get through a rewatch of Confidential Assignment earlier this week, so I shall attempt this again.

I discovered SYJ through A Moment To Remember and she was so beautiful in this film - I love that scene in which she snatched JWS’s can of Pepsi and burped in front of him :lol:

• Like 1

I enjoyed all the interaction/reactions on SYJ’s filmography. I personally enjoyed April Snow as well. 

Thanks @Helena for the heads up on why Truth Beneath didn’t get large number of movie goers, and was mentioned it involved political issues. I loved her acting on that, I was also impressed that she always cares a lot about the script first and feel sad for the director especially if he’s a newbie and the numbers wouldn’t hit big, I admired her more. I may sound biased about her acting but I always find her acting engaging, of course it has evolved and has improved over the years, definitely. I still need to finish Spotlight then Alone in Love, as per her movie, I’m almost done except for Blood and Ties, which I heard she’s also great. 

Does anyone have the Eng-sub or Ch-sub version of this YouTube video?

Seems pretty interesting as SYJ talks about her past works and answers some fans' questions.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:44 AM, Hikki said:

I discovered SYJ through A Moment To Remember and she was so beautiful in this film - I love that scene in which she snatched JWS’s can of Pepsi and burped in front of him :lol:

I love the scene where she found out about her illness at the doctor's office - the many fleeting expressions on her face and eyes convey clearly the multitude of emotions she must be feeling then. 

15 hours ago, ILSYJSG said:

Does anyone have the Eng-sub or Ch-sub version of this YouTube video?

SectionTv 2013-10-13 (c-subbed)
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1BK411L7nv/

Regarding KNG & SYJ, there were other things that recent fans (or those who didn’t follow her news back then - in 2013/2014 and earlier) are not be aware of. A lot of things weren’t translated into English. 

Spoiler

- They called each other Yeobo 여보 (‘honey’). yeobo is an endearing term used by married couple.

http://koreanetblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/yeobo-jagi-korean-terms-of-endearment.html

(After the dating rumors) her agency’s explanation on them calling each other honey: they joke around.

Their agencies: they are very close but not dating.

=> Many believed the dating rumors were true.

- Things she said in her interviews in 2013 (before their dating rumors surfaced on 2013-10-29): wanting to get married in 2 years, her mom telling her to hurry up and get married, public dating (especially with another celeb) is burdensome (too much attention), etc.  

=> She was different in 2013 interviews, her marriage talks (seemed like she was in a relationship, therefore, wanting to get married). Calling someone who’s just a ‘co-star’ yeobo didn’t make sense 
=> She wouldn’t go public with her relationship 

(her movie “The Accomplice / Blood and Ties” was released on 2013-10-24 so she was upset.)

if u want to read postings on their dating rumors from that time on Chinese k-drama forum: 

http://bbs.krdrama.com/thread-524573-1-1.html

Knetz reaction: 

https://netiizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2013/10/son-ye-jin-and-kim-nam-gil-deny-dating.html

https://blog.naver.com/PostList.nhn?blogId=art-2019

447A3047-067B-48FE-95D4-1F9938D0642C.png

Spoiler

11FD4FCD-1B4D-4393-ACAE-DCC9CF175CE5.png

0F6EC870-F2EC-47F2-B5D2-F65454FDE207.png

C19680CE-A365-4524-82F7-C13ECF32B780.png

BDF70EE0-DE39-402C-AC63-3C7864777405.jpg

F28A3292-251C-4F34-9FEF-086AA140C179.png

FC592D8F-8FFB-4E3D-B516-76713EC244F0.png

26E418AA-653A-41DF-A14F-F50791761FDE.png

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Helena said:

Regarding KNG & SYJ, there were other things that recent fans (or those who didn’t follow her news back then - in 2013/2014 and earlier) are not be aware of. A lot of things weren’t translated into English. 

I think I saw a picture of them together that doesn't look like it's from a BTS, press conference, or another kind of professional event, so IMO, it looks like they may have really dated but it didn't last long enough for them to feel comfortable confirming it. I could be wrong though.

5 hours ago, Helena said:

Reveal hidden contents

- They called each other Yeobo 여보 (‘honey’). yeobo is an endearing term used by married couple.

http://koreanetblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/yeobo-jagi-korean-terms-of-endearment.html

(After the dating rumors) her agency’s explanation on them calling each other honey: they joke around.

Their agencies: they are very close but not dating.

=> Many believed the dating rumors were true.

- Things she said in her interviews in 2013 (before their dating rumors surfaced on 2013-10-29): wanting to get married in 2 years, her mom telling her to hurry up and get married, public dating (especially with another celeb) is burdensome (too much attention), etc.  

=> She was different in 2013 interviews, her marriage talks (seemed like she was in a relationship, therefore, wanting to get married). Calling someone who’s just a ‘co-star’ yeobo didn’t make sense 
=> She wouldn’t go public with her relationship 

(her movie “The Accomplice / Blood and Ties” was released on 2013-10-24 so she was upset.)

if u want to read postings on their dating rumors from that time on Chinese k-drama forum: 

http://bbs.krdrama.com/thread-524573-1-1.html

Knetz reaction: 

https://netiizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2013/10/son-ye-jin-and-kim-nam-gil-deny-dating.html

https://blog.naver.com/PostList.nhn?blogId=art-2019

447A3047-067B-48FE-95D4-1F9938D0642C.png

Reveal hidden contents

11FD4FCD-1B4D-4393-ACAE-DCC9CF175CE5.png

0F6EC870-F2EC-47F2-B5D2-F65454FDE207.png

C19680CE-A365-4524-82F7-C13ECF32B780.png

BDF70EE0-DE39-402C-AC63-3C7864777405.jpg

F28A3292-251C-4F34-9FEF-086AA140C179.png

FC592D8F-8FFB-4E3D-B516-76713EC244F0.png

26E418AA-653A-41DF-A14F-F50791761FDE.png

Hello Helena, is there an Eng-Sub for those videos on bilibili.com? I really wanted to watch all those videos about SYJ but the subtitle is only for Chinese. I hope you have Eng-Sub too. I’m a new fan of SYJ and I like to watch all her past videos. Thanks again for keeping up posted about SYJ. 

2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I think I saw a picture of them together that doesn't look like it's from a BTS, press conference, or another kind of professional event, so IMO, it looks like they may have really dated but it didn't last long enough for them to feel comfortable confirming it. I could be wrong though.

I don't know at all about KNG but I found him funny and he gives more joy to SYJ’s life based on what I’ve seen in their interviews. But I like HB more than KNG for SYJ.   

Just wanna say hi to everyone in this forum, as a fellow fans of this humble-fun-bubbly-witty-beautiful and one of the biggest actress in South Korea.

CLOY have me stumbled into Soompi Forum in late Feb/early March. I am a RickRoll'D shippers, as you all can see from my username, but as I spent many hours reading contents in the shipper paradise, I am more and more amazed by Son Ye Jin. I’ve been watching KDrama for more than 15 years now, and this is the first time I've invested so much time and emotion into loving a figure I've never known personally.

So please let me list what I like most from her for as my first post here:

- Her loyalty: being with the same agency since her debut, having a solid friendship with both her team who worked with her for years (6 years at least from what I remember, majority even worked with her from the beginning of her career I think) and friends from the same field (her Cinderella Squad is literally #squadgoals), and going to the same saloon  for 20 years and the same gym for 10 years. And everyone in this close circle praised her in every chance they got. And reading the compliments from these people, I never doubt it all genuine. Phew. Being loyal is hard, so hard. Cause every kind of relationship requires big effort if you want a good return. She might put her biggest effort to be able to received this big love from them all  :)

- Her honesty: reading articles and interviews about her, watching her in BTS and variety show, I realised that she never hide who she really is. She honestly admit that she is competitive, and really showed her competitive side in every game she played (in reality show, in interviews, also in her BWY film lol). She didn't lie when she said she love food so much, to the point that fans really surprised when accidentally saw her eating with such big apppetite. She also candidly told us her beauty routine (only did two step out of ten but trying hard to drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fruits and using facial mask daily to keep her skin hydrated). She even admit that she dated in secret lol. She also didnt want endorse something she didnt personally like or use. Wow, just wow. So my conclusion: she never exaggerate. She didn't say nor do those things for her image, she just showed her real self. Her honesty is so hard to find in a public figure :rolleyes:

- Her personality: I love the cheerfullness she brought in every place she went. Be it on set, on off-cam interviews, on fanmeet, on her daily life too. Everyone love her for that: her squad, her teams, the journalist, even the lady bodyguard in Ganeshi event smiling so fondly upon watching her interacting with fans. All while maintaining the female-alpha aura. Class! And I totally LOVE her big laugh. It's soo endearing :wub:

- Her passionate acting: being an SK actress for more than 20 years, she is more known for her versatile acts rather than a beauty-face. And I'm so proud of calling myself her fangirl for that. I fell in deep love watching her in CLOY, just to realised later that I started loving her long before. I didn't know that she is the one who potrayed an alzheimer patient so beautifully as my heart break for her and her family in AMTR from yearsss before, I totally enjoyed The Classic, April Snow, and Personal Taste too not knowing that this Son Ye Jin did all of it.

I can rant all day about her, even spent hours in telephone calls just to tell all of my closest friends how I admire this person. Its a relief that my friends didnt disowned me up until now. LOL.

And for the shipping activity, I really love RickRoll'D but in the end of the day, I literally just wanna see her happy. I think she’s really happy now with HB, so I’m shipping them hard and happily too rn. But eventually, with or without HB, with or without marriage, it doesn't matter as long as she is happy. I must say that it's such a shame if her beauty and one in a million persona didnt passed to the next gen tho' :sweatingbullets:

So, yeah, hello from me, everyone~:sparklyeyes:

Edited by BinjinFangirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

not sure this is posted here before! There were few previous articles of the view of co stars of Ye jin on her. Will find and post them here. 

Lee Min Ki with His Current Box Office Movie “Chilling Romance”

December 9, 2011  |   Filed under: 2011 Movie,Actors,K-Movie,K-Stars  |  

20111209-Lee-Min-Gi1.jpg

“Chilling Romance,” a horror-romantic comedy movie that just released December 1st has become a box office, beating “Tin Tin” and even “Breaking Dawn.” That’s a very wow success since many people had been expecting “Tin Tin” and the Twilight-saga “Breaking Dawn” for quite a long time. However, eventually, Korean people loved this Korean movie more!

Well, yeah..this movie does give viewers a fresh idea, offering the horror, thrill, mellow and laughter in the same time. Seriously guys, I’m not a horror movie fan, a big NO NO! in fact, but this movie really worth watching. You won’t have time to really keep the fear deep in your brain because seconds later you’ll be bursting a laughter. The ghosts are freakin’ scary, yes, but the scenes are sometimes too hilarious that you may forget to scream for fear. And the romance story between the magician Jo Goo, Lee Min Ki’s character, and his 6th-sensed partner Yeo Ri, played by Son Ye Jin, will also touch your heart.

20111209-Lee-Min-Gi_2.jpg

As the result of this, Lee Min Ki, has received so much attention these days.  Newsen recently interviewed him asking how’s his feelings about the movie being number one now, Lee Min Ki answered, “Outranking ‘Breaking Dawn’ feels good.” Hohoho, if i were him i would’ve felt the same way too. And then he was asked what he thought about the fact that many people give so much attention to him and love him (as an actor in the movie), he said, “Isn’t it because I played alongside Korean most beautiful Ms. Son Ye Jin?”

Lee Min Ki said when the first time they offered him the scenario and he asked about the partner and they said it was Son Ye Jin, he didn’t hesitate to take the role. Well, yeah Son Ye Jin is like the most wanted female co-star for many Korean actors :rolleyes: even for the seniors, let alone a junior like Lee Min Ki ;) . Son Ye Jin is famous not only for her beauty, but also -and the most important thing- for her great acting quality. Lee Min Ki said his friends didn’t believe him at first when he told them that he would work on a movie project with Son Ye Jin as his co-star. I couldn’t imagine how envy his friends were when they found out that Lee Min Ki had lots of kissing scenes with the noona in that movie. :D

Lee Min Ki continued that even though he couldn’t get any closer with Son Ye Jin in personal, he was so grateful that he could learn so many things from Son Ye Jin as a sonbae in the movie industry. But Lee Min Ki has appeared twice this year in the big screen, firstly with “Quick” where he played alongside Kang Ye Won. I think this guys has always been pretty lucky to play along side great named actresses, like Chae Rim, Shin Min Ah, Ha Ji Won…and many more, just check his filmography. And I always love his acting whether it’s in drama or movie. So congrats and best good luck for him in the future.

Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” PD Talks About Why He Cast Jung Hae In And Son Ye Jin

The producing director (PD) of the drama “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” has shared his reasons for casting stars Jung Hae In and Son Ye Jin!

In an interview with news outlet Ilgan Sports, PD Ahn Pan Seok talked about working with the two actors on the hit JTBC drama, which came to an end on May 19. He revealed that he had been determined to cast Son Ye Jin as his leading lady from the very start, explaining, “[Son Ye Jin] is a one-of-a-kind actress. She has a positive energy. In order to capture the viewers’ attention, an actor’s presence alone needs to be powerful, and she’s an actress who has that kind of power. She’s been able to bring to life every production in which she’s appeared.”

He continued, “That’s why, from the very beginning, I thought that there was no one else for the leading role of ‘Pretty Noona’ but Son Ye Jin. I only contacted one person [for the role], and it worked out. She decided to take the role even after seeing all the negative sides to it.” He added with a laugh, “I was really surprised.”

The director also expressed his immense gratitude to the actress for her dedication to the role. “She fulfilled her duties 200 percent,” he remarked. “When you work together with someone, you can see what kind of person she is. On the day of the wrap party, Son Ye Jin received the applause of the staff and her fellow actors as she left.”

He also revealed, “[Son Ye Jin] cried a lot up until the very moment that she left [the wrap party]. She was really sobbing. I think she must have personally felt as though she had accomplished something. She is a truly admirable person. She took responsibility without avoiding [her duties], and she endured it all.”

Edited by Lily Beth
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Helena said:

Thanks so much Helena! I find that there are a lot more SYJ content on bilibili than on Youtube, probably because the English-speaking (and other languages) world has just discovered the amazing SYJ via CLOY.

If you have more info about the KNG and SYJ rumours, pls continue to share with us. I remember SYJ refuted rumours about KNG few years back though.... Any long time SYJ fans would like to share their thoughts? Do you personally think they dated for 4 months (or so)?

9 hours ago, slowpoked said:

The other pics I have seen of them are their airport pics, but those are with many staff around.

5 hours ago, BinjinFangirl said:

CLOY have me stumbled into Soompi Forum in late Feb/early March. I am a RickRoll'D shippers, as you all can see from my username, but as I spent many hours reading contents in the shipper paradise, I am more and more amazed by Son Ye Jin. I’ve been watching KDrama for more than 15 years now, and this is the first time I've invested so much time and emotion into loving a figure I've never known personally.

- Her passionate acting: being an SK actress for more than 20 years, she is more known for her versatile acts rather than a beauty-face. And I'm so proud of calling myself her fangirl for that. I fell in deep love watching her in CLOY, just to realised later that I started loving her long before. I didn't know that she is the one who potrayed an alzheimer patient so beautifully as my heart break for her and her family in AMTR from yearsss before, I totally enjoyed The Classic, April Snow, and Personal Taste too not knowing that this Son Ye Jin did all of it.

I can rant all day about her, even spent hours in telephone calls just to tell all of my closest friends how I admire this person. Its a relief that my friends didnt disowned me up until now. LOL.

And for the shipping activity, I really love RickRoll'D but in the end of the day, I literally just wanna see her happy. I think she’s really happy now with HB, so I’m shipping them hard and happily too rn. But eventually, with or without HB, with or without marriage, it doesn't matter as long as she is happy. I must say that it's such a shame if her beauty and one in a million persona didnt passed to the next gen tho' :sweatingbullets:

Your experience is so much like mine. I lurked here after CLOY for some months before taking the plunge to join in the discussion recently. Reason being I need to have an outlet for me as unlike my fanatic obsession with SYJ, most of my friends were just casual admirers of her. With them, I feel that sometimes I tend to go overboard talking about her all day long.

I started watching KDrama/Kmovies since 2000 (Autumn In My Heart, My Sassy Girl, Winter Sonata, Summer Scent, AMTR, etc). But switched to English shows some years back. In recent years, I only watched those Kdramas with hype or with JJH - DOS, My Love From the Star, Legend of the Blue Sea. Then came CLOY.  

It is funny that most females will swoon over Capt Ri (HB), but to me, YSR (SYJ) is so much more awesome. I was totally captivated by her! I dug out everything I could about SYJ and the more I read/watched, the more I love her as a person. She is so real and relatable. Just look at her unfiltered IG posts and we can see that she doesn't care much about promoting herself, but more about sharing her daily life with her fans/friends. I have never felt this way about an actor/actress before. I have always liked JJH - but more because of her looks and acting. I don't really know much about JJH as a person. 

I totally agree with you. I only want her to be happy - with or without HB, with or without marriage.

Being successful, independent and well-loved by all her fans and friends, SYJ is comfortable in her own skin.  Having worked so hard and gone through so much for the past two decades, SYJ deserves someone who truly cherishes her and appreciates her for who she really is. 

2 hours ago, Lily Beth said:

“Chilling Romance,” a horror-romantic comedy movie that just released December 1st has become a box office, beating “Tin Tin” and even “Breaking Dawn.”

In an interview with news outlet Ilgan Sports, PD Ahn Pan Seok talked about working with the two actors on the hit JTBC drama, which came to an end on May 19. He revealed that he had been determined to cast Son Ye Jin as his leading lady from the very start, explaining, “[Son Ye Jin] is a one-of-a-kind actress. She has a positive energy. In order to capture the viewers’ attention, an actor’s presence alone needs to be powerful, and she’s an actress who has that kind of power. She’s been able to bring to life every production in which she’s appeared."

He continued, “That’s why, from the very beginning, I thought that there was no one else for the leading role of ‘Pretty Noona’ but Son Ye Jin. I only contacted one person [for the role], and it worked out. She decided to take the role even after seeing all the negative sides to it.” He added with a laugh, “I was really surprised.”

SYJ has a tremendous screen presence which draws the audience to her. Very charismatic and full of allure. It is fascinating to watch her myriad expressions and she is really beautiful when her eyes glistened with tears.

I think she accepted Pretty Noona partly because she wants to speak out for the #MeToo movement.

Just curious, have anyone wondered if she has ever encountered #MeToo moments too?

But based on her outspoken character, I am sure she would have stopped whatever in its tracks. 

I found this Spellbound interview, but no subs. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ILSYJSG said:

Your experience is so much like mine. I lurked here after CLOY for some months before taking the plunge to join in the discussion recently. Reason being I need to have an outlet for me as unlike my fanatic obsession with SYJ, most of my friends were just casual admirers of her. With them, I feel that sometimes I tend to go overboard talking about her all day long.

I started watching KDrama/Kmovies since 2000 (Autumn In My Heart, My Sassy Girl, Winter Sonata, Summer Scent, AMTR, etc). But switched to English shows some years back. In recent years, I only watched those Kdramas with hype or with JJH - DOS, My Love From the Star, Legend of the Blue Sea. Then came CLOY.  

It is funny that most females will swoon over Capt Ri (HB), but to me, YSR (SYJ) is so much more awesome. I was totally captivated by her! I dug out everything I could about SYJ and the more I read/watched, the more I love her as a person. She is so real and relatable. Just look at her unfiltered IG posts and we can see that she doesn't care much about promoting herself, but more about sharing her daily life with her fans/friends. I have never felt this way about an actor/actress before. I have always liked JJH - but more because of her looks and acting. I don't really know much about JJH as a person. 

I totally agree with you. I only want her to be happy - with or without HB, with or without marriage.

Being successful, independent and well-loved by all her fans and friends, SYJ is comfortable in her own skin.  Having worked so hard and gone through so much for the past two decades, SYJ deserves someone who truly cherishes her and appreciates her for who she really is. 

OMG I totally forgot to write about her IG posts, thanks for adding it! lol

YES, those photos are gem! It's so personal, real and relatable. She didn't care about angle, tone, or something like that. She's just having fun posting her daily life! Her natural posts are a breath of fresh air in a world that’s become saturated with filters.

True, some of my friends find me amusing to be head over heels with SYJ rather than HB. But as they heard me ranting about her over the hours of phone calls, listing all of the things I wrote above in much lengthy description, they all agreed that SYJ is indeed admirable ;)

If I'm not mistaken, back in 2005 my first Kdrama is My Sassy Girl Chunhyang (still one of my favorite until now), and my first KMovie is AMTR. And never stopped watching since then. But these past few years , I found it hard to finish a full KDrama, don't know why. So CLOY is my first after some time. And I totally love it! The rest is history, and here I am now.

And amen to the deserved happiness for our queen!:heartxoxo:

12 hours ago, ILSYJSG said:

It is funny that most females will swoon over Capt Ri (HB), but to me, YSR (SYJ) is so much more awesome.

Oh, I'm female and I think YSR kicked as$!!! I was more drawn to her character than I was to Captain Ri, because usually as a viewer, I like to see complex female characters in a movie and/or series. I'm from the US so I see a bit of complex female characters - some I like, some I don't like. And I can confidently say that YSR is one of the, and will go down as, best written female character in any show and movie, worldwide. I will put her character on par alongside female leads that I really liked and were critically acclaimed - Claire Danes from Homeland, Nicole Kidman from BLL, Kristen Bell from The Good Place, etc.  I'm actually a little sad because I think a lot of people sort of underrated her character and performance just because the writing included comedic parts (don't get me started with the Baeksang voting), but I always believed comedy is harder to pull off than drama, because it's harder to make people laugh than cry. 

But even taking away the comedic parts, YSR is just an awesome character overall. She built her publicly-traded company from scratch, she wasn't apologetic about having dated and wanting to date men, she knows what and who she wants and she was a strong woman that didn't need to put down a man in order to be "girl power"! And yet, despite all that hard exterior as the yin, she had an interesting yang as well - was lonely, didn't have a lot of friends, estranged from her family, was suicidal once, and had shown that she has so much love to give to the right person. Despite being perceived by her family and the general public as shallow, she has a heart of gold - I loved how she repaid the kindness of the ducklings and the ahjummas to her, even if she only spent a short time with them. Like she said "I always pay back favors, whether it's good or bad."

CLOY will always be known as a love story, as it should be. But I loved its subtle handling of mental health issues such as depression and suicidal tendencies. Here in the US, mental health issues have come to the forefront in recent years, and there's been more growth and sensitivity as to how these issues are now portrayed in the entertainment industry. Before, it's just laughed off, now it's taken more seriously. Having a character like YSR have these issues, and NOT have it written as her "weaknesses", but part of her overall being that makes her complete, is to me, a great achievement in writing that not a lot of people will recognize, unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

56 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I will put her character on par alongside female leads that I really liked and were critically acclaimed - Claire Danes from Homeland, Nicole Kidman from BLL, Kristen Bell from The Good Place, etc.  I'm actually a little sad because I think a lot of people sort of underrated her character and performance just because the writing included comedic parts (don't get me started with the Baeksang voting), but I always believed comedy is harder to pull off than drama, because it's harder to make people laugh than cry. 

CLOY will always be known as a love story, as it should be. But I loved its subtle handling of mental health issues such as depression and suicidal tendencies. Here in the US, mental health issues have come to the forefront in recent years, and there's been more growth and sensitivity as to how these issues are now portrayed in the entertainment industry. Before, it's just laughed off, now it's taken more seriously. Having a character like YSR have these issues, and NOT have it written as her "weaknesses", but part of her overall being that makes her complete, is to me, a great achievement in writing that not a lot of people will recognize, unfortunately.

I love Claire Danes in Homeland and have been waiting for season 8 like forever!

Just like YSR who battles with depression, Carrie's bipolar condition makes her less perfect. Yet with all these "imperfections/weaknesses", both characters are strong, independent and smart females who garner much respect, support and admiration from the audience. 

In fact, with all the Binjin easter eggs and candies thrown around (liberally), I would like to think that CLOY is really a love story between HB and SYJ in real life. :wink:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ILSYJSG said:

In fact, with all the Binjin easter eggs and candies thrown around (liberally), I would like to think that CLOY is really a love story between HB and SYJ in real life. :wink:

Incidentally, weren't two of the actors who did cameos in CLOY past lovers of SYJ in her movies/dramas? Captain Ri's brother and Seo Dan's taxi driver. I thought that was hilarious, although their scenes are not with her. I wonder if she saw them on set. 

• LOL 1

@ILSYJSG

i remember that ye jin was asked once about #metoo movement by an interviewer. She was asked what she thought about that movement and She said people who involved in the movement were brave to speak up.  Then she was asked whether she saw such things in the film industry. The reporter said ye Jin  seemed uncomfortable to answer that question and they have changed the topic. I personally think that it was wise not to answer that questions. Obviously for them is to get a headline news. But some of the topic are very sensitive and if answered without evidence , and much careful thought, it will become a big scandal. I couldn’t find that article. I just recalled from my memory so, there might be slight difference from how she responded. You were right , I also think She chose pretty noona because it’s not only a joyful drama but also thought provoking on those social taboos things happening in our society 

• Like 2

@Lily Beth I think this is the article you are referring to. It was around the promo period of BWY.

Original source: 

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2018/03/689_245793.html

Top actress calls #MeToo 'good pain'
Posted : 2018-03-18 16:21
Updated : 2018-03-19 16:34

Son Ye-jin / Courtesy of MSTeam Entertainment

By Park Si-soo

#MeToo is all the rage in Korea. Hardly a day has passed in recent weeks without fresh accusations. And the film industry is at the core of the storm.

Multiple award-winning actors and directors, including Kim Ki-duk and Cho Jae-hyun, have crashed from grace with some awaiting investigation over alleged sexual misconduct. The shocking suicide of veteran actor Jo Min-ki, accused of molesting his students, was its culmination, at least so far.

A recent survey hinted that there are many more victims under the surface ― 62 percent of 749 actresses, female writers and staff members said they experienced unwanted physical contact from male colleagues.

How far #MeToo will go? And what kind of changes will it bring?

Asked about the issue, popular actress Son Ye-jin did not answer immediately. She paused with her head down and right hand holding her chin. After several seconds, she spoke in a low and serious tone. It was a striking departure from the vivaciousness she showed when greeting this reporter for a recent interview at a cafe in Sogyeok-dong, Seoul.

"It would be a good pain for our society," Son said. "I hope this campaign will change the outdated male-centered perspective about women once and for all...and also bring down all the practices harmful to women."

She said she admired any women who spoke out about their humiliating past at the risk of revealing their identities.

"I would like to give a big hand to their braveness," the actress said.

I felt tempted to go deeper with follow-up questions exploring her first-hand experiences as a victim, if any, or that of her female colleagues, but I held back because such a question could be offensive.

So the following question could not ― again ― be straightforward: "What is the legacy of male-centered culture in the movie industry?"

Son pointed out a typical cinematic storyline in which a man fights against all odds to achieve a goal while his female partner is left helpless waiting for his help.

"That's a typical frame in action flicks," she complained. "Why is it so difficult to have films seeing the world from women's perspective like 'Thelma and Louise'?"

Research in 2016 took issue with what she called the "unfair" frame, arguing that it only enhanced the social bias against women. But little has been done to change the situation.

It was not easy to ask a question that could elicit a headline-grabbing reply, while avoiding possible criticism for being too straightforward. The actress also seemed uncomfortable with being asked about issues that had nothing to do with her new film, for which the interview was arranged.

'Be With You'

Son's new film "Be With You" has had robust ticket box sales since being released on Mar. 14. The romance drew nearly 610,000 viewers in four days, topping the domestic box office. At the current pace, reaching the breakeven point of 2 million viewers is considered a matter of time.

The film is a remake of a 2004 Japanese film of the same title, about a woman who dies and leaves behind her son and husband. She then returns a year later, putting her fate as a spirit on the line for the sake of her earthly family. Son plays the mother and So Ji-sub her husband.

"Be With You" will be released in Taiwan, Vietnam and Singapore next month.

She has built her fame on romance films ― "A Moment to Remember" (2004), "The Classic" (2003) and "Lover's Concerto" (2002). And the new film seems unlikely to be much different.

Asked about her nickname "Queen of melodrama," she said, "It's not so much that I wanted to sustain my nickname 'Melodrama Queen,' as that the genre has always been something that I wanted to do.

"As a cinemagoer, I missed the beautiful images and music, and as an actor, I've been thirsty for such roles."

Son is 37, so it was natural to ask about her romantic interests.

She said she did not have a boyfriend. Asked why she was not dating and did not have any romantic scandals, she jokingly replied, "It's simply because I'm bad at dating.

"In order to date, you need to make up your mind to date, meet many people, and have blind dates offered to you, but that's not easy.

"It's more difficult as you get older. I don't think it's possible to do something by force either. However, I'm waiting for a good match to show up."

As for marriage, she said, "Nothing is set in stone yet." Asked if she's worried marriage would affect her acting career, she said, "I think all actresses are worried about that at some point.

"When I look around me, people who are married are unable to do all the work they want to do.

"Being a mother and wife are big roles. I would like to spend a lot of time for my family, but I think I'm still immature. I don't know if I'll be able to do that."

However, she emphasized that personal happiness was just as important as being ambitious about work.

"It's always agonizing to separate my life as an actress and personal life," she said. "Just because I'm happy with my acting life doesn't mean I'm happy with my personal life.

"I'm always making an effort to balance between the two. I'm enjoying my work more than before, so I'm under less stress now."
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I'm 39 years old, a mother of two, never thought that i  would be a fangirl to SYJ. When SITR first aired on Netflix I could not finish the drama because it was so frustrating with its storyline  :D ...Then came CLOY... ... I only watched CLOY at the beginning of episode 4 and was amazed by Yoon Seri's character. I spend 4 episodes a night from 11 pm to 4 pm when my child is asleep. After that, the stress of impatience awaits the next episode. every week the torture.

To be honest,  First i watch CLOY because of HB (MOTA is the first drama of HB i watched) ....till now i still not interested to watch his movies except The Negotiation. From there, I searched on the internet who the real SYJ was and the rest is history. More fell in love with her after seeing her in  Master In The House an Running Man.  Already watch most of her movies. Luckily I can watch 8 of SYJ movies repeatly on cable tv network in my country (we have TVN Movies Channel on the list). I think they includes all the films since CLOY was popular here. so i dont mind my Netflix dont have single movie of SYJ  

I lover her eye smile, her laugh….its like vitamin, happy energy. Because of her i even change my skincare brand ... now on my way to changing shampoo brands too even my husband couldnt saya anything.

I've also been following Binjin thread since the page from 44 pages and now it's almost 1000. But I choose to post my FIRST ever comment here because I want to express how much I admire SYJ's character.

I just hope SYJ will always be happy, whether she is single or in a relationship… because she deserves it ....

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

5 minutes ago, wmn81 said:

When SITR first aired on Netflix I could not finish the drama because it was so frustrating with its storyline  :D .

To be honest,  First i watch CLOY because of HB (MOTA is the first drama of HB i watched) ....till now i still not interested to watch his movies except The Negotiation. From there, I searched on the internet who the real SYJ was and the rest is history. More fell in love with her after seeing her in  Master In The House and Running Man.  Already watch most of her movies. Luckily I can watch 8 of SYJ movies repeatly on cable tv network in my country (we have TVN Movies Channel on the list). I think they includes all the films since CLOY was popular here. so i dont mind my Netflix dont have single movie of SYJ.  

Same here! I watched SITR after CLOY (because of SYJ) and was very frustrated by all office politics and the overbearing mother. However I plodded to the end, just to admire and fangirl over SYJ. Similarly, I wasn't inspired to watch any of JHI or HB's other shows. My main focus is on SYJ.

If you ask me which is my fav show by SYJ - I would say Master In The House. I love her looks in there, the real personality revealed from her interactions with the 4 cute hosts and how her bff GHJ described her. The real SYJ is humble, sincere, dorky, fun-loving, candid, honest, loves to make jokes and brings so much energy and life to the people around her. She doesn't compromise when it comes to her passion (acting - she gives her all), her promise (towards other people and towards herself), and I believe this constitutes to her competitive streak (Queen of Games) and her loyalty to her friends and people around her.

Her character is impeccable - refusing to take part in the charade when she saw the answer accidentally (Frozen), taking good care of the boys (preparing food for the picnic, making breakfast, helping them with the masks).

I totally love how when she appeared with the cake, all the boys were bowled over by her beauty (same for Running Man) --> hilarious to watch! I simply do not understand how anyone can don't love her after watching MITH!

I love that she doesn't hold back when laughing out loud. She is tomboyish in a sense - very 大方豪爽,不拘小节 --> I am not sure how to translate it but it is like for guys, normally they do not hold grudges and are more forgiving, whereas ladies tend to be more petty (generally, of cause there are exceptions!). I believe SYJ and GHJ clicked so well because they are both alike in character.

I remember So Ji Sub said before that when SYJ has something to say, she MUST SAY HER PIECE - she is very forthright and open with her opinions/views, YET she always did it in a humorous/diplomatic manner. In a radio interview, SYJ was speaking in a soft and gentle manner and SJS asked her why is she speaking like that --> obviously SYJ is not as feminine in real life as the characters she always portray (she said so herself too). 

Her refreshing honesty when she jokingly praises herself then laughed out loud during many interviews ---> it is so rare to find someone so endearing, adorable and lovely. She doesn't bank on her good looks to succeed, but instead worked hard on perfecting her craft. You do not see a trace of arrogance in her - SYJ remains grounded and full of humility whenever she is discussing her achievements and such.   She sacrificed her social life (did not go out with friends during the first 3 years of her acting career) and probably her dating life, in order to remain scandal-free for 2 decades. 

SYJ is truly an inspiration and a great role model for the modern woman. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2

Dear Sonyejin,

My first time in Soompi and you are the first actor/actress that im falling in love with.

Im not sure if you will come here to read this thread or not.

I just signed up to post to let you know that you are truly amazing actress and I am really admired your personality.

You inspired me and many people to be honest for the way we are.

You have worked very hard for more than 20 years already.

Now, please enjoy you legacy, take a break, relax and enjoy living you life. Life is short so do whatever makes you feel happy.

I will always support you whatever, whoever, wherever choices you pick in your life.

Thank you for making us happy with all works you have done for 20 years.

Just want you to know that Im glad you are exist in this world. 

Edited by SYJfanclub
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1