Shin Ha Kyun 신하균

Guest OreoVampire

January 11, 2012

Song Kang Ho and Shin Ha Kyun Have a Serious Bromance Going On

Source: CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, InKyung

Song Kang Ho and Shin Ha Kyun evidently have a serious bromance that pretty much any actor would be jealous of.

A rep from the two actors’ agency Hodoo Entertainment told enews on January 10, “These days, Song Kang Ho often makes jokes that he might have to take advantage of his hoobae’s (junior) growing popularity. He said he would have to invite Shin to VIP preview of his new movie, Howling, which is set for release on February 9 as well as ask him for an interview to promote the film."

Song and Shin are well-known for their strong friendship.

Shin changed his agency to Hodoo Entertainment in September, following Song, who in turn, promoted Shin′s drama at the Blue Dragon Film Awards. At the ceremony, Song, who was standing next to Soo Ae, who was starring in SBS’ A Thousand Days’ Promise, said he enjoyed watching KBS2’s Brain, which, awkwardly enough, was Brain′s rival show, as it was airing in the same time slot.

Guess promotion is promotion, even if it means irking the A-list actress next to you.

C120111_04.jpg

In any case, netizens didn′t seem to get annoyed as they are wont to do, as afterwards, many fans left messages on Brain’s comment board that they hoped Song Kang Ho would make a cameo appearance on the drama.

In turn, Shin expressed his gratitude for Song in his acceptance speech after winning the grand prize at the KBS Drama Awards on December 31, 2011, by saying, “I’m thankful to Song Kang Ho, who is a devoted fan [of Brain].”

"Our agency has many actors who have built long careers in the Chungmuro film industry, so they share close bonds, monitoring each other’s acting and giving advice. Lee Sung Min who is playing director Go Jae Hak in Brain is close to Shin Ha Kyun and Song Kang Ho as well," said the rep of Hodoo Entertainment. "These days, Lee Sung Min and Shin Ha Kyun’s love-hate relationship in the drama has become an issue, but originally, Song Kang Ho and Lee Sung Min had that kind of relationship. It would be fun if the three shot a melodrama about a love triangle.”

C120111_05.jpg

Shin is currently focusing on completing his drama, and having earned explosive popularity through Brain, he has been receiving a flood of casting offers and endorsement offers.

The rep said, “In this drama, the love line with Choi Jung Won appealed so much to women viewers, so he is thinking about choosing an earnest melodrama as the next piece of work. He‘s been looking for a good piece of work regardless of the genre.”

Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan, CJ E&M

February 9, 2012

Song Kang-ho "Sin Ha-gyoon's "Brain" became popular because of me?"

Source:
via

Actor Song Kang-ho showed his love for Sin Ha-gyoon.

Song Kang-ho met with Sekye Dot Com in Seoul on the 8th and said, "I am very happy that Sin Ha-gyoon is doing so well".

When he was asked about mentioning the drama "Brain" saying it was fun he laughed and said, "Sin Ha-gyoon was telling me how the viewing percentage went up after I said that half heartedly".

"I guess it had promotional effect as I said it when the drama was reaching its peak point".

He mentioned how happy he was when Sin Ha-gyoon mentioned his name during his speech after winning the Grand Prize and the KBS Acting Awards at the end of December. "I watched the show. I always felt he didn't get enough light despite his efforts but now I am happy that he was able to show off his talents and appeals through this drama".

Song Kang-ho will soon be seen in theaters through the movie "Howling" by Yoo Ha. "Howling" is a mystery investigative movie about two detectives working on a case involving a serial murder caused by wolf-dogs.

Song Kang-ho takes on the role of detective Jo Sang-gil and has come back to screens for the first time in 9 years since "Memories of Murder". His partner Cha Eun-yeong was carried out by actress Lee Na-yeong. To be released on the 16th this month.

January 11, 2012

'Brain' Team Shows Great Teamwork, No Rushes

The cast of the KBS2 drama Brain is showing tight teamwork, with the writers finishing the script early and the shoots flowing smoothly with no bumps. A rep from CJ E&M, Brain’s production company, said, “Because their teamwork was so strong from the start, the script, acting and directing were all in perfect step. The script for the 20th episode was already been finished in early January, and because shooting went so smoothly, we’re already almost done with the shoot although we have a week left before the drama will come to a close.”

20120110090540_1_rstarpsy.jpg

C120109_02.jpg

The rep added, “If dramas are rushing through their schedules, it’s hard to make preview videos, but our drama aired previews without missing one episode from the first to the last. We’ll be airing the preview for the 20th episode on January 17, also.”

Brain is the second collaboration between writer Yoon Kyeong Ah and producer Yoo Hyun Gi. The two already struck up a big success with Master of Study, and their teamwork for Brain was again surprisingly efficient.

Not only are the writer and producer from Master of Study, but also the actors, lighting, set, technical staff, broadcasting company and the production team—everyone except the art managers.

Thanks to this, the mood on the first day of shooting for Brain was so friendly it felt like an after-party for Master of Study.

An official from the production company said, “Thanks to the great staff and actors, we were able to come out with a great piece. You can say that rather than rush through shooting in order to finish quickly, we tried to leave in the sincerity and wrapped up while being effective. The dean of the Yeoju Institute of Technology, the setting of the drama, even delivered a message saying that he thanked us for letting the university participate in such a meaningful piece. We producers were also honored and thankful to have been a help to the Yeoju Institute of Technology. We’re happy that we’re receiving favorable reviews from viewers and industry officials.”

The Brain team will hold an after-party on January 17 in Seoul, and in order to get through the many interview requests, Shin Ha Kyun plans to bring the press in for a short session.

Photo credit: CJ E&M

January 12, 2012

Shin Ha Kyun Doesn't Know He's Famous

Source: CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, InKyung l Nate

You may think Shin Ha Kyun is being modest when he says he can’t really feel the surge in his popularity, but representatives from his agency are saying that he’s actually being truthful.

C120110_05.jpg

Shin has recently started up a syndrome of his own through the KBS2 drama Brain, but a rep from his agency, Hodu Entertainment, said, “Shin Ha Kyun is an analog actor who doesn’t know much about machines or the internet, unlike other actors. He doesn’t know how to use smartphones, Kakao Talk, Facebook or Twitter. He rarely uses the internet search function. Sometimes, I search up some articles for him on a smartphone and show it to him, but he just says ‘Oh, really?’ and moves on.”

When asked whether any female viewers recognize him in the streets or whether he gets any requests for autographs in restaurants, the rep answered, “It rarely happens. Shin Ha Kyun just moves back and forth between his home, the filming site and the dining hall in the building. Even when he’s at home, he just sleeps after reading the script, so he rarely goes out, and he never visits restaurants; he eats with the staff at the broadcasting companies or the dining hall in Yeoju Institute, where the drama takes place. Because he’s always surrounded by staff members and is always working, he doesn’t know that he’s a big issue on the internet.”

Thanks to Shin Ha Kyun’s hard work, Brain is expected to soon break through the 20 percent viewership rating cut. The drama will be airing its last episode on January 17.

Photo credit: KBS, CJ E&M

coming201201102014170.jpg

January 13, 2012

Two Enemies Finally Reconcile in 'Brain'

Writer: KBS Report Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBS Media

Two doctors have finally reconciled in the KBS2 Monday-Tuesday drama “Brain,” which is enjoying consistent popularity with only two episodes left until the end. Its 17th episode topped the ranking charts again among shows in the same time slot with 16.2 percent ratings.

1275_3351_l.jpg

On the January 10 episode, Kim Sang-cheol (Chung Jin-young) takes all the blame for Lee Kang-hoon (Shin Ha-kyun) after a patient falls into a coma after an operation that Kang-hoon took over when Sang-cheol suddenly became ill in the operating room. When the patient’s parents sue Kang-hoon for malpractice, Sang-cheol goes to see them and says that he made the mistake during the operation.

But this only makes Kang-hoon feel anger towards Sang-cheol, who he believes is hypocritical. He goes to confronts him and asks why he did that, Sang-cheol regrettably says, “Because you should not live with such a sense of guilt like me. Because I see my young self in you.”

Some two decades ago, Kang-hoon’s father died during an operation that Sang-cheol performed, but Sang-cheol at first denied that he was the doctor who operated on his father. It turns out that Sang-cheol was tormented by guilt so much that he could not pass a day without drinking, and had a car accident while crossing a street while drunk, which left him with dissociative disorders, meaning that he has lost the memory involving Kang-hoon’s father.

Sang-cheol also advises Kang-hoon to only think about patients, not the fame and reputation he can earn by becoming a famous surgeon, when operating on them. This indicates how regretful Sang-cheol is and how deeply he cares about Kang-hoon.

Kang-hoon also understands why Sang-cheol has acted as if he knew nothing about his father and feels sympathy for him. And he insists that he operate on Sang-cheol, who is diagnosed with meningioma.

Viewers also expressed their happiness about the reconciliation of the two, saying that they were very moved while watching the drama.

Meanwhile, Kang-hoon’s rival surgeon, Seo Jun-seok (Cho Dong-hyuk), volunteers to assist Kang-hoon with the operation on Sang-cheol, a move showing that he will do whatever it takes to be a better doctor.

Guest x-wen217

hi i'm new here. i'm absolutely can't take my eyes on him after watching him in Brain. thanks a zillions for creating this thread. really2 apprecaite it. glad to see so many people love him. hope we got more posting update about him as knowing he's kind of does not cling with the fame/ glamorous world. i guess he's very good in choosing a role. I noticed most of his movies have different character n he brilliantly potrays different kind of personality in the roles he took. he can be like a lunatic guy, a dreadly pitiful hyung, a naive n mama's boy, funny, scary just name it. u won't see a same person. i'm so looking forward on his next project after Brain.

Guest rintintintin

Me too also, Actually my dad likes him so much because of drama "Brain". But I like him as a actor and Brain is a good drama that some aspiring doctors in the world should watch that. :)

January 14, 2012

The Last Filming Site of 'Brain' is as Cheerful as Ever

Remember those photos showing the Brain actors staring into their scripts? With the end of the drama in sight, the actors are still stepping up their game, but they seem to have found some time to take some commemorative photos at their last shoot.

83234403.jpg

The 20 episode drama Brain is nearing its end, but the actors and staff still seem to be unable to believe it’s all going to come to a close soon, because although they’re pretty tired, their passion toward acting has grown all the more greater.

Also, though the characters fight in the drama in endless conflicts, debates, tense surgeries and various incidents, the actors and staff are showing their actual relationships are just the opposite, and that they’ll miss each other once the drama ends. As they’ve spent most of their time together in the shoots that move between Seoul and Gyeonggi-do’s Hwaseong, they’ve grown as close as family.

Outside of the camera, the harsh Kang Hoon transforms into the bright and smiling Shin Ha Kyun, while the four flower boy doctors, Shim Hyung Tak, Lee Seung Ju, Gwak Seung Nam and Kwon Se In take on their roles of ‘the energetic F4’ to entertain their colleagues.

The producers of Brain state that the driving force behind their team’s great teamwork was the viewers’ support.

An official behind Brain said, “The words of support that our viewers send us energize us more than any other medicine. The best medicine that makes us be determined and proud to work harder on this work is the support from our viewers.”

Another official said that the cheerful and reasonable production environment was what brought on the tight teamwork. The official stated, “Not once did the script come out late, and late-night shoots were so rare I can count them with the fingers on one hand. Thanks to the careful consideration of the staff and the sincere attitudes of the actors, the shoots weren’t so straining and progressed perfectly.”

A rep from the drama’s outsourcing production company, CJ E&M, said, “Because of the great attention being paid to Brain, we’re receiving many requests to extend the story, but the filming for the last episode is already in its last stages. I believe the great interest and love being given to Brain is leading to a frustration that the drama will soon be over. I hope you continue to love the remaining two episodes to the end.”

January 17, 2012

Shin Ha Kyun and the 'Brain' Team Wrap Shooting on a Gloomy Note

CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, InKyung

The usually bright and friendly atmosphere of the filming site for KBS2’s Brain gave way to a more gloomy air on the last day of shooting. Shin Ha Kyun, the staff and other actors wrapped up the last shoot of the drama on January 16, ending a four month long expedition.

Normally, the team would’ve said their goodbyes cheerfully, looking forward to seeing each other again at the after-party to take place on January 17, but this day, they couldn’t seem to hide that they felt down.

2012011708111438690_1.jpg

A rep from Shin Ha Kyun’s agency, Hodu Entertainment, stated, “Because we wrapped up shooting a day before the last episode was to air on January 17, we planned to rest from January 16-17 and watch the last episode, but we got bombed out of the blue. Because of the power struggle between cable service companies and the main channels, the cable services stopped airing the KBS2 channel. Brain was hit the hardest. All of our staff, including Shin Ha Kyun, were in despair because we turned on our TVs as soon as we got home to find that we weren’t getting KBS2. It’ll affect the viewership ratings for episode 19 and 20; I’m so sad. I’m sad that Brain had been leading in its time slot for Monday and Tuesday and now it’s coming to a close on such a low note.”

Brain had been leading in its time slot with viewership ratings going over 15 percent, and its last episode was expected to score over 20 percent. Episode 19, however, had its ratings almost halved because cable service companies had stopped airing KBS2 after they had a run-in with the major channels.

According to AGB Nielsen Media Research, episode 19 of Brain, which aired on January 16, recorded 11 percent, a 5.2 percent drop from the previous 16.2 percent. Considering how only about a quarter of the usual viewer sample had access to the channel, the numbers are still big, but the numbers it could’ve gotten are haunting the staff.

Still, viewers who didn’t have access to the channel on TV moved on to live television services on the internet to watch and cheer for Shin Ha Kyun. Live television services such as Tving, Afreeca and KBS Live TV had double the amount of its usual numbers viewing its broadcasts.

A rep for Brain stated, “I know for a fact that during the broadcast, complaints by viewers swamped the KBS webpage. We could really feel the great interest and support our viewers are sending us. I don’t know if we should be happy or sad about this, but we’ll still work hard to bring the drama to a successful conclusion.”

The Brain team will hold its after-party on January 17 in Seoul, and Shin Ha Kyun will start going through his official schedule after resting for about one or two days.

January 18, 2012

What 'Brain' Left Behind

CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo l Nate

KBS2’s Brain slowly started to seep into our lives and our conversations, and now it’s the only thing anyone will ever talk about, from issues on the actors to the story of the drama itself. Now the drama has come to a close on January 17 with its 20 episodes; what has it left behind in its wake?

F120118_003.jpg

Shin Ha Kyun and Jung Jin Young

Brain can’t be mentioned without having the name Shin Ha Kyun pop up somewhere in the conversation. You can’t get through five minutes of each 60 minute long episode without seeing his face at least once. This means the drama depended almost entirely on Shin Ha Kyun.

Also, because Brain was a medical drama, Shin was required to act out dialogue full of professional medical jargon the entire time he appears onscreen. You can’t help but feel for Song Seung Hun and Kim Ju Hyuk, who turned down the offer for the lead role when they were considered.

The overwhelming weight placed on his shoulders, however, actually came as an advantage to Shin. His acting skills helped make the entire drama of Lee Kang Hoon, by Lee Kang Hoon, for Lee Kang Hoon. The many new internet terms that originated from his name, such as ‘God Ha Kyun’ or ‘Kyun morning’ are just small examples of the influence he wielded with his acting skills.

Jung Jin Young can’t be left out when it comes to acting. He stepped back just enough to let Shin Ha Kyun shine. Their strict specialization and fierce conflicts helped to prop Brain on its feet even after its first few episodes failed to gather a big group of viewers.

Perfect reality

The reason why American dramas are so popular is because they closely model what happens in reality. Tens of writers are sent to gather information from actual scenes, and their knowledge is put together onscreen with large production fees and the producers’ skills.

Korean drama fans all wished they could see the same in Korean dramas, because there had been so many Korean dramas that had interesting subject matter but went down the drain because of awkward special effects or settings.

Brain, however, was different. The writers stayed at the medical school of the Catholic University of Korea to collect information for their drama. The producers also invested a lot in every little prop, getting an operating microscope that cost a billion won, scissors that cost a million each and drills that cost 30 million won each for a total of 4 billion won invested in production costs.

And there were no complaints about the reality the drama portrayed, meaning it satisfied the tastes of even the pickiest of Korean fans.

F120118_004.jpg

Medical dramas always work

‘Medical dramas always work.’ This is a saying that’s often circulated among broadcasting officials. It is actually true, as MBC’s White Tower, KBS2’s Surgeon Bong Dal Hee and SBS’ Sign have all been big successes.

Brain didn’t break away from these well-established precedents. It did meet a large bump when KBS2 stopped airing through cable services when those companies and the main channels got locked in a power struggle, but the last episode managed to avoid being caught up in the ordeal, wrapping up the drama in a happy ending with 16.1 percent viewership ratings (AGB Nielsen Media Research).

Who knew Brain, which started with a mere 8.6 percent in ratings, would be so successful?

Photo credit: KBS2

201201180805181001_1.jpg

January 18, 2012

Man Sings for Woman of His Love

Writer: Roh Ji-won Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBS Media

A cold-hearted man has taken care of and sung for a woman he is in love in with when she falls ill in the KBS2 Monday-Tuesday drama “Brain.”

On the January 16 episode, Yoon Ji-hye (Choi Jung-won) comes down with the flu after pushing herself too hard to carry out a task given by Lee Kang-hoon (Shin Ha-kyun), her boss for whom she has feelings. But she makes a mistake in collecting vital data, ending up being criticized by Kang-hoon. To make up for her mistake, she performs the task again despite not feeling well, and becomes bedridden afterward with a high fever and chill.

1281_3366_l.jpg

Learning that Ji-hye has failed to come to work, Kang-hoon goes to her home and finds she has fallen asleep, sweating and trembling. He checks her temperature and keeps changing wet towers to reduce it, while waiting for her to wake up.

Ji-hye is surprised to see Kang-hoon in her room when she wakes up and says, “What are you doing here?” Kang-hoon bluntly tells her, “You should’ve told me that you didn’t feel good. You probably didn’t do it on purpose to make me feel sorry to you. But to my regret, I don’t feel sorry at all.” But deep down he is really worried about her.

Kang-hoon asks her if she would like him to order some food for her, but Ji-hye asks him to sing a song for her instead of food, which is unthinkable for him. Kang-hoon initially retorts, saying, “You must have gone insane since you had a high fever,” and tries to leave. But soon he sits on the bed and starts to sing, which moves Ji-hye. Ji-hye quietly sheds tears and Kang-hoon kisses her.

“The Brain” drew its curtain with an happy ending on January 17.

January 20, 2012

Man Wins Both Love and Fame as 'Brain' Ends

Writer: Roh Ji-won Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBS Media

The KBS2 Monday-Tuesday drama “Brain” has drawn its curtains with a happy ending where the protagonist has won both love and fame. The medical drama revolved around the life of neurosurgeons at a general hospital.

On the January 17 episode, Lee Kang-hoon (Shin Ha-kyun) feels regretful and guilty after he finds out that Kim Sang-cheol (Chung Jin-young), the chief surgeon on whom he operated due to brain cancer, has lost his vision despite the surgery. He pours out what has been on his mind to Yoon Ji-hye (Choi Jung-won), a fellow doctor he is in love with. Crying, he tells her that he has held grudges against Sang-cheol because his father died during an operation due to his malpractice but that deep down he cannot forgive himself because he may have wanted his incapable, violent father to die and tried to turn the blame on Sang-cheol.

1283_3370_l.jpg

Sang-cheol reads Kang-hoon’s mind and just disappears without telling anyone where he would go, leaving an essential clue to the study Kang-hoon is conducting. The clue helps Kang-hoon complete his study and win the country’s most prestigious medical award a year later.

Meanwhile, Ji-hye attempts to leave Kang-hoon to a hospital at her hometown despite Kang-hoon’s opposition. She puts the scanned image of her brain showing that she is in love on his desk before leaving, but it ends up returning to her. Realizing she and Kang-hoon are meant to be together, Ji-hye changes her mind and runs to him.

Kang-hoon attends a ceremony to celebrate his winning of the medical award but feels deep regret for letting Ji-hye go. But when he stands on the podium to give a speech, he finds Ji-hye running into the hall and broadly smiles. He then tells the audience with a confident, happy voice, “Thank you all for coming here. I am surgeon Lee Kang-hoon.”

“Brain” will be succeeded by “Dream High 2,” starring popular idol band members including Ji-yeon of T-ara, Hyo-rin of Sistar and Jung Jin-woon of 2AM.

January 22, 2012

Shin Ha Kyun won’t get married until he meets his 'soul mate'

by d0rkyk0r3an allkpop.com

‘Brain’ actor Shin Ha Kyun refuses to marry until he meets ‘the one‘.

The January 21st episode of KBS‘ ‘Entertainment Relay’, featured the actor in its ‘Guerrilla Date‘ corner . When asked directly when he plans on getting married, Shin Ha Gyun replied, “It’s not easy to meet your soul mate, but if I ever do meet her I think that’s when I’ll get married.”

20120121_1327150991_12426600_1.jpg

As Shin Ha Kyun was walking through the streets on his ‘Guerrilla Date’, many female fans pleaded to him, “Please don’t get married” to which he shyly replied, “Ah.. yes… I’ll try to marry as late as possible”.

The drama ‘Brain’ aired its final episode on January 17 with solid ratings.

Source & Image: TV Report via Naver

Guest Safire_Steeleim

January 22, 2012

Shin Ha Kyun won’t get married until he meets his 'soul mate'

by d0rkyk0r3an allkpop.com

As Shin Ha Kyun was walking through the streets on his ‘Guerrilla Date’, many female fans pleaded to him, “Please don’t get married” to which he shyly replied, “Ah.. yes… I’ll try to marry as late as possible”.

The drama ‘Brain’ aired its final episode on January 17 with solid ratings.

Source & Image: TV Report via Naver

:lol:  His shyness makes him even more cute.  He did a wonderful job in Brain.  Actually, I've seen a lot of his work and was surprised that he wasn't more popular.  I think Brain has changed this for him.  I  can't wait to see what project he picks next! :D

January 26, 2012

[interview] Shin Ha Kyun Hits a Grand Slam

CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo l Nate

The recently-wrapped drama Brain faced a slew of problems in the beginning, as Song Seung Hun and Lee Sang Yoon both turned down the male lead. And even when Shin Ha Kyun decided to take up the role, people said he wasn′t fit for the small screen.

Those critics may have been right at first - Shin′s start with KBS2’s Brain was far from smooth smooth. The outlook for the drama was fairly gloomy, and as expected, the drama got off to a bad start with its first episode posting single-digit viewership ratings, thanks to a head-to-head showdown with SBS’ A Thousand Days’ Promise.

But Shin Ha Kyun somehow ended up hitting a grand slam, and won a losing game, just as his character Lee Kang Hoon did in the television drama.

"I thought my head was splitting"

Shin once appeared for almost 55 minutes of the 60-minute long episode of the medical drama. Difficult jargon was flooding in and his character drifted back and forth between extreme emotions. We wondered how he acted out the role.

“I thought my head was splitting (laugh). The lines were not easy, and the amount of shooting was immense, so I have to carry four or five books of scripts for a shoot. The emotions (of the character) were always extreme. Naturally, it was harsh. But the medium of TV drama was so charming. Responses (from viewers) were spontaneous. Tributes? I received them for the first time. I was happy and grateful that I could communicate with fans.”

13.jpg

As the drama started to gain popularity, witty nicknames like ‘Ha Kyun Shin (means god)‘ and ‘Kyun-morning‘ were given to him one after another. This proves how much impact his acting had on viewers. But how did he appraise his own acting?

“I think I was overly praised. When I monitored my acting, I found too many flaws. I’m thankful for viewers’ compliments on my acting but I don’t think I can give high marks to myself. One thing was that acting with Jung Jin Young sunbae created a synergy effect. He responded to it no matter how I acted. I hope we can meet again in a drama as two people on good terms.”

1.jpg

"I was moved by the Netizen Award"

One can’t interview the man and leave out a discussion of the 2011 KBS Drama Awards. Shin won the Grand Prize, beating out strong rivals like Lee Tae Gon of Gwanggaeto the Great Conqueror and Park Si Hoo of The Princess’ Man. Had he foreseen such results?

“Not at all. I had a shoot on that day, so I didn’t even think about attending the ceremony. But the director finished the shooting early and told me to go. Prior to the presentation of the Grand Prize, I received the Netizen Award. So I thought, ‘I might not be able to win the Grand Prize as I expected,′" said Shin.

"But I was so surprised and grateful that I received the Grand Prize. And then when I came home and thought over, I was more moved by the Netizen Award [than by the Grand Prize]. That’s because the public chose me. I was so thankful toward fans. I think I should work for more TV dramas from now on (laugh).”

But though he said he would work for television more, as an actor who′s now beloved in both films and dramas, what kind of role was Shin planning on taking on next?

“I’ve never intentionally draw boundaries in terms of genres till now and I won’t in the future as well. I’ve never approached acting with concrete plans of what and how I will do things, either. But I want to take up novel roles that inspire me. I have deep interest in characters that people have compassion for or for pitiful characters. Brain’s Lee Kang Hoon was that kind of character," said Shin. "First of all, I’ll spend time with my family and take time to think about it later on.”

Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan

Translation credit: Misun Lee

January 26, 2012

Shin Ha Kyun: 'Lee Kang Hoon's Desire is Story of Us'

Source: KBS Global

The protagonist Lee Kang Hoon of the KBS 2TV drama "Brain" that finished airing last week was very different from the so-called "typical type of protagonist." He is filled with an inferiority complex about his deprived childhood and he concentrates everything on pursuing his single goal of success. Even when his mother passed away, his teacher Kim Sang Chul left him, and his girlfriend Lee Ji Hye said good-bye to him, he only hesitated for a moment and did not stop his race to success. The romance that makes change possible has nothing to do with Lee Kang Hoon. The character itself was a "bad guy," but Lee Kang Hoon received great love from viewers from the beginning to the end of the drama thanks to the actor Shin Ha Kyun (38). He made a comeback to TV dramas after an eight-year break since his last appearance in the MBC drama "Good Person" in 2003, and he successfully presented the inner side of Lee Kang Hoon who pretends to be strong even though he has delicate emotions and deep scars in his mind. Shin Ha Kyun came to a cafe located in Tonguidong to give an interview two days after the drama came to an end on January 19. Shin said, "'Brain' was a medical drama, but actually it was not a story of doctors but a story of us in the real world. Lee Kang Hoon seems to be a very attractive character as he never stops until the end." Followings are questions and answers made during the interview.

8054_3592_l.jpg

▲ Chameleon actor Shin Ha Kyun who played a neurosurgeon named Lee Kang Hoon

-- What kind of character was Lee Kang Hoon?

▲ In a word, Lee Kang Hoon is a poor man. Even though he thinks that he is a perfect person without any defect, he has many weaknesses. He pretends to be very strong, but he has a weakness inside that he hardly can tell other people. That is why he strives to live.

-- His sarcastic way of talking and the way he calls and answers phone calls while putting his mobile phone on his palm with an annoyed look became a topic of conversation. What do you think?

▲ I naturally created the way he speaks or walks while filming. But actually there were not many things to prepare because the writer Yoon Kyung Ah wrote detailed description about the character and his behaviors on the script. And I accidentally created the way he answers the phone. I just tried by myself and the gesture luckily received a huge response. The truth is that I am not a smart phone user as I have 2G phone, and I was very surprised to see the great performance of a smart phone during filming as I could hear the voice very well although I put the phone on my palm, so I came to think, ‘Let’s try it,’ and it received the favorable response. Somehow, Lee Kang Hoon is likely to answer phone calls in that way.

-- Kim Sang Chul was very important character in the drama along with Lee Kang Hoon. What kind of person was he?

▲ Their relationship was not that of a teacher and a student (laugh). Sometimes they look like a father and a son. Lee wants to be recognized by Kim as well as he wants to go beyond him. They often say some harsh words and offend each other’s mind, but they often tell their genuine feelings to each other. Usually a father and a son find it difficult to come close to each other. Lee Kang Hoon has complex emotions about his father. He might have wanted to form a relationship of a father and a son relationship with Kim Sang Chul as he could not have his father in his childhood. Lee Kang Hoon is filled with complaint about Kim Sang Chul, but surely he also has deep affection inside.

8054_3593_l.jpg

▲ Shin Ha Kyun creates "Ha Kyun syndrome"

-- Acting showdown with Jeong Jin Young who played Kim Sang Chul also came up in conversation.

▲ There were many scenes in which two people confronted with each other and their emotion reached an extreme. I also had long lines in those scenes, so I usually could not sleep well before filming those scenes due to pressure. I could not have much time to talk with Jeong Jin Young while filming, which was very sad, but now I feel very happy that we do not need to confront with each other anymore (laugh). The senior actor Jeong Jin Young was such a great actor. He has huge presence in the drama and he could act against any occasion while acting like running water. I think that I could present Lee Kang Chul very well in every direction as I wanted thanks to Jeong Jin Young who perfectly plays Kim Sang Chul. I really appreciate it and thank him.

-- Lee Kang Hoon could not be free from his strong desire for success until the end. What was the final goal of his desire?

▲ I do not know exactly what he had pursued. But there was a scene in which the professor Kim Sang Chul said to Lee, “Do not stop pursuing your desire. It is the punishment given to you,” and I think that what Kim said to Lee could be the answer for your question. Everyone has a desire in mind, and it can sometimes become the driving force of our life or the opposite. “Brain” is a drama that tells the story about our desire. Lee Kang Hoon’s desire can eventually apply to all of us, and I think that we all could have this punishment of pursuing a desire, like Lee Kang Hoon.

-- What was the most difficult thing that you feel while playing Lee Kang Hoon?

▲ It was the long script. I did not have this long of a script when I appeared in the movies. Moreover, the terminology was all about medical things. It was very difficult to speak medical language fluently. I intentionally ate many health foods while filming, but I lost almost five kilograms. I could realize that the human brain can consume a huge amount of energy (laugh). There were many surgery scenes, but filming those scenes was easier than I had expected. Usually the surgery of neurosurgeons requires concentration while operating through a small hole, so the only thing that I had to do was look at the microscope and move both my hands imperceptibly (laugh).

-- Which scene was the most memorable?

▲ The scene in which I talked to an old lady after Lee’s mother (Song Ok Sook) passed away was the most impressive scene. He expressed his feelings while thinking about the happiest moment after his mother died, and I could learn that it could be another way of expressing emotion.

-- People are highly praising your acting ability and they reportedly gave you the nickname “Acting God Ha Kyun.”

8054_3594_l.jpg

▲ Chameleon-like actor, Shin Ha Kyun

▲ I just stayed on the film set during the production of our drama, so I did not know about its popularity and I thought that the staff members made fun of me while talking about the popularity. But I could find out that it was true and realized that many people liked our drama. Many fans came to the film set, served food and gave many gifts to me. I really want to give thanks to them.

-- You garnered the Grand Award at the KBS Drama Awards with “Brain.”

▲ I did not expect the award at all. I was just very happy after receiving the Netizen’s Award and I was even very surprised to receive the Grand Award. Actually I was in a daze due to fatigue because I had come to the ceremony right after finishing filming the drama, but I could completely wake up thanks to the award (laugh).

-- You seem to have played strong characters up to now including in “Brain.” Is there any particular standard for you to choose a work to appear in or a character to play?

▲ I was not intentionally looking for strong and eccentric characters. I just have a strong interest in new things and new characters that I have not played before. I like any character that I can feel compassion for.

8054_3595_l.jpg

▲ Cold-hearted Shin Ha Kyun

-- What kind of person are you in your daily life?

▲ I am a boring person and I am a curt man with few words. So I felt a kind of catharsis while playing Lee Kang Hoon in “Brain” (laugh).

-- Do you have plans for marriage?

▲ I should have had (laugh). I will soon reach my forties, so I think that I have to give more effort. Firstly, I might need to change my personality as I am too abrupt (laugh).

-- What about your next plans?

▲ I have not yet decided. I want to take a rest for a while and read many scripts right now. But I might start to work by this spring.

January 26, 2012

Shin Ha Kyun Says, "I like 'Kyun-morning' the most."

CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo

Shin Ha Kyun, the star of Brain, expressed his gratitude to his fans for their support, and especially for the nicknames that they bestowed.

Shin recently sat with enews and shared his feelings on the recently-wrapped drama.

When asked, “You have been highly acclaimed for your acting ability in Brain and you were given several nicknames. What do you like the most?”, Shin answered, “Fans gave me various funny nicknames. Among them I like ‘Kyun-morning’ the most.”

17.jpg

Shin played the role of neurosurgeon Lee Kang Hoon in the medical drama. He had viewers glued to the edge of their seats, showing off his acting abilities that were honed on the silver screen up till now.

Viewers highly praised his acting abilities and showed their affection for him by nicknaming him ‘Ha Kyun Shin’ (‘god’), ‘Kyun-morning’, and ‘Kyun-bye’.

Shin said, “I don’t usually surf the web, so I didn’t know about my nickname. I heard it from my manager and staff members. Among those nicknames, ‘Kyun-morning’ is so cute and witty. Isn’t it?”

He continued, “As the drama gained popularity, I’ve experienced many things that I’d never experienced before. Some fans came to see me to give gifts in person and I received so-called tributes for the first time.”

“I was so thankful for the fans’ support. I came to think I should work for more dramas,” he added.

Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan

• 5 weeks later...

February 8, 2012

Sin Ha-gyoon and Sin Min-ah "still thinking" about "Only You"

Source: Nate via hancinema.net

201202090932421120_1.jpg

Actor Sin Ha-gyoon and actress Sin Min-ah are being discussed as the leading characters for the movie "Only You - Movie".

Sin Ha-gyoon's management told My Daily on the phone, "We haven't decided yet. We are trying to choose from the many offers that we have. The decision should be made in February".

Sin Min-ah is also looking through "Only You - Movie". Just like Sin Ha-gyoon, she hasn't made a decision yet.

If they decide to go along with it, Sin Ha-gyoon will be starring in this movie after having gained tremendous popularity in the drama "Brain" and Sin Min-ah will be returning to movies for the first time in 3 years after the 2009 movie "A Million".

Meanwhile, "Only You - Movie" is a love story between a house thief and a police man in which Sin Min-ah will be the thief and Sin Ha-gyoon the policeman if they confirm.

February 24, 2012

A-List Stars Attend VIP Premiere for "Helpless"

by: jnkm soompi.com

5780ebd07a171372f2a9a6f377173ae0_large.jpg

Upcoming film "Helpless," starring Lee Sun Kyun, Kim Min Hee and Jo Sung Ha, has opened a VIP premiere on February 22 in Seoul.

"Helpless" is a mystery film, based on a popular Japanese novel by Miyuki Miyabe. The story is about a man, who loses his fiance after one phone call, and a detective who tries to solve this case of the missing fiance, only to discover that everything about her was fake. The movie will open in theaters on March 8.

Some of the top A-list celebrities attended the premiere including Ahn Sung Ki, Cha Yae Ryun, Han Chae Young, Jang Woo Hyuk, Kim Nam Jin, Kim Ock Bin, Kim Hyo Jin, Lee Min Ki, Lee Yoon Ji, Shin Ha Kyun, Shin Min Ah, Tim, Yoo Hae Jin, Yoon Kye Sang, and more.

Check out the photos below! (Please refer the link provided for full photos compilation ^^)

Yoon Kye Sang keeps it simple in a white shirt and black jeans under a long navy peacoat and a thick gray scarf.

Yoo Hae Jin sure looks excited to watch this movie! He's dressed in a warm cable-knit sweater, a gray scarf and a gray hat - not much for colors, is he?

Uhm Hyun Kyung appears on the scene in a multi-color sweater with a peach-colored blouse inside. Her cropped jeans and suede shoes make her look extremely lengthy.

Tim shoots a smouldering look to the camera with slicked back hair, a gray blazer and black pants tucked into some shiny boots.

The ever-so-lovely Shin Min Ah graces the premiere with her presence in a funky, mullet-like beige peacoat, skin tight black pants and black boots. She carries a funky, fringe-y black clutch.

e617627213f4e21dff266c9ee850646a_large.jpg

Shin Ha Kyun loves the sporty look. He dons a sporty jacket, cropped pants and comfortable running shoes.

The adorable child actor Mason Moon is sure growing up fast in a dashing tuxedo with a checkered bow tie and fedora.

Lee Yoon Ji is all ready for spring! Her peachy pink blazer over a spring-like top with khaki green cropped shorts makes her look like a radiant spring lady.

The leading man of the film, Lee Sun Kyun! He's dressed rather shabby though in a dark gray/green/brown coat and a plain gray t-shirt.

Fashionista Lee Min Ki in a torn-up denim jacket with black cigarette jeans.

Newlywed Kim Hyo Jin places emphasis on her spring green cropped pants.

Kim Seung Hyun looks casual and suave in a hoodie under a leather jacket and a pair of shades.

Kim Ock Bin shows off her boyish femininity in her short bob. She spices up her outfit with a tropical print scarf and those killer booties.

Kim Nam Jin brings out his model side with a very modelesque pose - he sports a gray blazer jacket, cropped khakis and brown leather shoes.

The main lady of the film, Kim Min Hee! The outfit to the very left is what she wore to the press conference earlier in the day. Her beige toned dress was highlighted by her red suede mary jane wedges for a refined yet bold look. But come night time, she transformed into a sexy city-girl in a midnight blue mini-dress with a low-cut back and black and gold heels.

Actress Kim Hye Jin smirks at the cameras in an all-black ensemble.

Jang Woo Hyuk is a stylish guy! His cropped sweater over a crisp, white shirt and his studded kicks scream fierce.

Han Chae Young's goddess-like proportions never cease to awe us - Her legs look super long even in white bootleg pants.

Cha Yae Ryun captivates the cameras with her royal blue skirt and her black combat boots.

Cha Soo Yeon dons a slightly see-through (slightly Wonder Girls'-like) dress with black and orange booties.

Mr. Ahn Sung Ki smiles warmly to the cameras in a simple gray turtleneck.

The cast of "Helpless" waves and wishes everyone a good time!

• 2 weeks later...

March 5, 2012

Film Recommendations

Fifteen Films of the New Korean Cinema (Part One)

BY MARTIN CLEARY newkoreancinema.com

Although I’ll admit that I’m not a big fan of ‘best of’ lists I do recognise that they can often be a shortcut into a subject that the reader may not be familiar with. One the questions I was asked recently by a reader of the site was to suggest fifteen films which would provide a good introduction to the last decade, or so, of New Korean Cinema. I’ve given plenty of recommendations of different films in the past, but it’s a task that doesn’t get any easier – the sheer scope of Korea’s output means that it’s hard to represent every filmmaker, idea, genre, etc. The list below is the answer that I gave a few weeks ago, although I also admitted in my original reply that if I was asked the same question a week later that the list would probably have changed. I may have done so since I originally complied it. I thought it might be interesting to post this at the start of this years Korean Blogathon, so here’s Part One of a list of some of the films that I personally think are a pretty good introduction to Korean cinema, given in chronological order and with my original brief comments why I’d chosen these particular titles:

Christmas In August (Hur Jin-ho, 1998)

Although it’s not the most popular in the West, the key film genre in Korea has historically been the melodrama. Christmas In August is a brilliantly subdued melodrama in which a photographer and a a traffic warden strike up a friendship. He doesn’t tell her that he is dying, and this drama runs throughout the background of this brilliantly acted, beautifully underplayed character piece. It’s very moving. The two leads from the film (Han Suk-kyu and Shim Eun-ha) became a massively popular on-screen couple in Korea and they were cast again as the leads in Tell Me Something – a very different film, more akin to the the tone of David Finchers Se7en (1995).

Peppermint Candy (Lee Chang-dong, 1999)

Lee Chang-dong isn’t the most commercial filmmaker (in the West he’s considered more ‘art-house’) but his films are very popular in Korea and he tackles subjects such as history, politics, old age, illness and makes very slow but very moving dramas. Peppermint Candy may not be his best film but it’s probably his most accessible – it tells the story of a mans life in backwards, starting with his death, and travels back in time over key moments in recent Korean political history. It’s very powerful film with excellent performances and a worthy introduction to one of Korea’s greatest filmmakers.

Nowhere to Hide (Lee Myung-se, 1999)

There’s no other filmmaker quite like Lee Myung-se, in Korea or elsewhere. A director who experiments and toys with the format of film itself. Nowhere To Hide has a very basic plot – a cop is looking for a gangster – but its narrative is told through the most bizarre, unique and visually interesting way possible. The film was distributed in the UK and the US, although audiences seemed to be a little bit confused by it, especially as the distributor attempted to align the film with the recent popularity of Hong Kong cinema, but while Lee Myung-se takes, steals and borrows from all kinds of imagery there’s no clear comparison to be made with any other filmmaker or genre to be made. Lees other films are also highly recommended, particularly Duelist (2005) which experiments with style in a period setting.

Shiri (Kang Je-kyu, 1999)

This was Korea’s first big-budget blockbuster and it’s a bit rough around the edges but its a very interesting cold-war action thriller. Featuring a cast who would all become big stars, including Song Kang-ho (The Host), Choi Min-sik (Oldboy) and Kim Yun-jin (the US television series ‘Lost’). The North / South plot was, at the time, bordering on the controversial.

J.S.A. – Joint Security Area (Park Chan-wook, 2000)

JSA_3.jpg

A more serious film than Shiri, J.S.A. also deals with North / South relations – its the story of an investigation into a shooting in the DMZ and the North and South soldiers involved. It’s still a very powerful film, one of Park Chan-wooks best, and boasts great performances from actors who would become even bigger stars including Song Kang-ho (Shiri), Lee Byung-hun (A Bittersweet Life) and
Shin Ha-kyun
(Sympathy For Mr Vengeance). Director Park Chan-wook went onto make probably the most well-known Korean film worldwide with Oldboy, which forms part of the ‘Vengeance Trilogy’ which has been incredibly influential around the globe and is worth checking out.

My Sassy Girl (Kwak Jae-young, 2001)

Romantic comedies are incredibly popular in Korean cinema, and this is still one of the biggest box-office smashes. It’s a long film which is divided into three sections and tells the story of a young mans relationship with a girl who doesn’t seem to conform to the normal expectations of Korean society. It’s a very funny film and was a massively popular across Asia and has been remade several times including a Japanese television series, and both Bollywood and Hollywood versions. Films continue to reference My Sassy Girl today and the two leads (Jun Ji-hyun and Cha Tae-hyun) remain big stars.

Part Two of this list will be posted tomorrow!