[Drama 2010] Stars Falling From the Sky / Wish Upon A Star 별을 따다 줘

Guest fanda4000

I think the hostess is like.. one step better than a prostitute but the implication is basically the same-- she's selling her body, which is bad. But she's desperate and needs to take care of her siblings so I think for her, her body is the lat thing and only resource she has, so Pal Kang probably feels like she has no luxury to be choosy.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually each hostess bars are different. They all have their own set of rules. And of course there's different levels of hostess bars. Some more of lowly hostess bar "might" make you do prostitution and would even fire you if you don't. Of course everything is done discreetly. Some hostess might do it to earn "extra" money.

Very high number of hostess bars do let customers "touch" the girls and again depends on who owns the bar. It is expected that if you work at the hostess bar that you let your customers "touch" you.

Working as a hostess in a bar is considered as one of the worst thing a female can do in Korea. She is looked down at by everyone. In Ep. 4, daughter-in-law of the grandfather mentions how she is looked down eventhough she is now married to a rich man because she used to be hostess. No matter what, people don't forget her background and will not look at her as equal. That is why she is trying to marry off her daughter to someone with "status" but she has to buy that "status".

However, working as a hostess bar is one of the fastest way of earning money (as long as you are not in debt with loan shartks and that is a differenty story).

^ jamieguo28 - No, I don't think it involves her being a prostitute. But basically, she has to let the guys be touchy-feely with her, serve them drinks, be sickly sweet, etc. etc. Obviously, that's not as bad as being a prostitute, but it's definitely not an appealing job, either... which is why Joo Hwang is so strongly opposed to Pal Kang working at the bar.

I know, right? I'm so glad that everything's out in the open now - it would have been so hard to continue hiding Namy any longer.

just started watching this and absolutely fell in love with it after eps 2. The kids acting are great and story is good and hopefully will stay that way til the end. Hope joon ha will get over jae young and fall for pil kang instead :) or find a better woman

Here's the video preview for Episode 5. :)

Jae Young: Grandfather.

Jung Gook: Who are you?

Min Kyung: Is it dementia?

Pal Kang: My name is Mimi- (she and Kang Ha see each other).

Joon Ha: At the very least, you can yell at her and tell her not to live this way.

Kang Ha: Unless you're going to be responsible for her life, don't say anything.

Pal Kang (to herself): Stay strong, Jin Pal Kang. If you just work like this for a few more days, you'll be able to earn enough money to stay in a hotel.

Joo Hwang (to his siblings): Everyone, get up and start packing.

(to Pal Kang) I don't want to go to a hotel using the money that you earned working at a bar.

Pal Kang (to her team leader): Please help me. The children and I have to live - I'll change. Please believe me.

Thank you so very much for the preview translations. I simply cannot wait for episode 5!

Speaking of WKH, I know how everyone is declaring him the cold hearted brother and is getting annoyed by the character. I suppose this is a shallow testament to how much I like the actor representing this character, but I think WKH is going to give us a chance to like him.

I mean, my first defense would be that this is a korean drama and the lead heroine usually, not always, falls not for the beta hero but for the cold alpha male who changes his ways. That's a small defense though.

Importantly, I see his connection with the grandfather as sort of his saving grace. The Grandfather is obviously a great judge of character, trusting in the lawyer, and I'm willing to see where this goes. As a lawyer, he's obviously under a lot of pressure and has no illusions about the troubles in the world. Remember his reaction to his case at the beginning of the series. He was obviously bothered by the outcome but felt that he was simply doing his job and can't be bothered.

I feel like he knows the hardships of life and, as such, adopted a survival of the fittest mentality.

Obviously there are a lot of layers to be uncovered, for both brothers, and a lot of defenses that they've built up to cope.

I guess all I'm saying is to watch this with an open mind. No one, as of yet, is blantantly evil. Okay... yes. The daughter-in-law certainly fits but it seems that the writers are trying to put a sympathetic undercurrent to her character. Doesn't make me hate her less but at least I understand it

Guest charis89

I must say I enjoy watching episode 3 and 4. I agree with many of you that the actors aren't really famous but they deliver good acting. It's a bright and cheery (I'm referring to the colors not the story) family drama. I'm still watching it because of the Won's nephew and the kids. Tae-gyu is like a big child who loves singing with the kids.

Hmmm, everyone I'm thinking of writing recap for the subsequent episodes since dramabeans isn't going to continue. It's quite a pity because I enjoy reading her stuff. Obviously my recaps won't be as good as hers, but still hope you all have fun time reading. Give me some more time. :D I'm going to post it soon.

Guest charis89

Here is the recap for episode 3. Quite a lengthy one, unfortunately I'm not going to add snapshots here. If there is any grammatical mistakes or anything, do tell. ^_^

Kang-ha hears baby cries and cannot concentrate in his work. He goes downstairs to find his drunken nephew throwing up in the toilet. Worried of being discovered, Pul-gang quickly pushes the blame to the stray cats. The crying stops momentarily and the three men believe her story. When Pul-gang returns to the room, she takes Nami from Hwang and feeds him herself. Eventually Nami falls asleep as well as Pul-gang. However, she has overslept.

Pul-gang frantically goes to the kitchen to prepare breakfast and is frying eggs when the Won family comes down for breakfast. She comes out to inform them that they have run out of rice. Jun-ha looks wearily at his nephew. When Tae-gyu checks the container with his uncles, the rice container is indeed empty and Jun-ha accuses him of keeping the rice money. Tae-gyu denies everything but his callous uncle pulls him to the bathroom when he is treated with cold water.

Poor Tae-gyu is shivering in cold before the dining table when Pul-gang brings out breakfast – cereals and fried eggs. Kang-ha looks skeptically at the eggs and gets ever more furious when Tae-gyu sneezes at him directly. The fellow does the same to Jun-ha, who leaves feeling dirty. After breakfast, Pul-gang briefs her siblings, who are staying at home while she brings Nami to work.

Pul-gang leaves Nami with her cleaner friend, Eun Mal for a short while as she reports to her superior. She has to meet six clients that day, and having a baby along is no easy task. Make things worse, she runs into the debt collector and flees immediately by jumping onto a bus.

Meanwhile at home, the remaining siblings are facing big trouble. Hwang desperately needs the bathroom and the drum is of no use. Using the time Tae-gyu goes out to open the door, Hwang dashes for the bathroom. When he returns to use the restroom, he is aghast to find the door locked. Distraughtly, he calls Jun-ha to get his permission to use Kang-ha’s toilet. Seeing their big brother in trouble, Cho-rok diverts Tae-gyu’s attention and leads him out of the house. However, the poor girl is now left out in the cold with little warm clothing.

Pul-gang is feeling low after being turned away by her clients. She receives a call from Cho-rok and the sisters exchange a heartfelt conversation. Cho-rok feels aggrieved and bursts into tears because she cannot tell her sister what really happened and she is stuck in the cold as that house does not belong to them.

Pul-gang is called back to office, where she meets the no-nonsense Jae-young for the first time. Nami is once again, left with Eun-mal as she left for the meeting. Jae-young finds Kang-ho with a new proposal that after they marry, they can still divorce. The man leaves promptly without a reply, while Jun-ho thinks she is absurd. Jae-young gets upset when she finds out her mother arranges a dinner for Jae-young with the minister’s son, when it is in fact a political marriage.

After work, Eun-mal and Jin-joo look after Nami so the big sister can go to the staff dinner. On their way, they meet a colleague who is interested in Jin-joo and brings them out for dinner using the coupons he has. In the restaurant, Pul-gang feels guilty at the barbecued meat she ate as she thinks of her siblings, who are probably starving at home.

Jun-ha is having a hard time after hearing the conversation between his brother and Jae-young and drinks his sorrows in a nightclub. Kang-ha visits Chairman Jung in the hospital when he recalls of a dinner they had. Chairman Jung has never believed he is a bad guy, and has wanted him to help fulfilled the old man’s dream.

Pul-gang reaches home with Nami to find her siblings hungry. She chases Tae-gyu, who is napping in the living room back to his room and makes a large serving of bibimbap. Pa-rang is sleepwalking, and bumps into Tae-gyu, who happens to come out of the bathroom. He is going to scream but Pul-gang hits him unconscious. She quickly goes up to manage Tae-gyu, shouting for the Won brothers. Tae-gyu is in a trauma having seen a ghost. Needless to say, no one believes a word he says and Kang-ho gives his nephew cold water treatment again. Tae-gyu is scared tiff. Yet Pul-gang still makes No-rang pass as a female ghost. Poor guy just faints.

Pul-gang has solemnly vowed to make breakfast that morning, but she is too tired and overslept the second time. Jun-ha sees her sleeping in the kitchen when he comes down for breakfast. He makes excuses for her when Kang-ha cannot find towel in his bathroom. This time, Pul-gang’s excuse for not making breakfast is no gas and the blame is pushed to Tae-gyu again.

The bloke is devastated and stops Pul-gang on her way to work when he tells her to take care of his uncles on his behalf as he is going crazy. Finding him piteous, she offers him comforting words in exchange of Tae-gyu’s complete change of attitude. Pul-gang bumps into the debt collector at the lift lobby and attempts to run away but the man just smiles at her. The company has approved her loan; her credit card debts are cleared.

At home, the Shin siblings are waiting for Tae-gyu to leave the house so they can make milk for Nami. Alas, they have run out of milk powder. Pul-gang knows the milk powder has finished, but has no money to buy. Anxiously, she goes to find her old neighbor and minimart owner but they are not at home. Worried that Nami is going to die of hunger, the younger three cook porridge while Joo-hwang goes to the convenience store. Pul-gang meets Jin-joo, who brings her milk powder (she has stolen from her sister). Meanwhile, Joo-hwang steals a tin from the store but is caught by the owner. Coincidently, Jun-ha is there to buy rice and helps catch Joo-hwang.

----

Anyone waiting for the 4th episode recap, tonight~ Sorry can't post any earlier, I've got school. :(

I was rather skeptical at first, but this show is definitely growing on me. I love the kids! I wonder what will change the cold brother's mind... something is bound to :)

Guest pas_sub

hmmm...

since i really like this drama too, i'll try giving out some recap...

not as complete as professional recap though, plz forgive my bad english...

EP4:

- Joon Ha, Joo Hwang and Ppal Kang were having a discussion on a cafe. Ppal Kang beg Joon Ha to close his eyes about Joo Hwang [pretends he knows nothing about Joo Hwang], Joon Ha nicely said that its all okay and theat them with hamburger to eat.

- back at home, Tae Gyu welcomes Joon Ha and Ppal Kang, he discovers that Joo Hwang is the thief that he saw the other night, later he was told that Joo Hwang was Ppal Kang younger brother,.

- the other kids was cooking at the kitchen, Kang Ha came home early and caught No Rang while she was on the way to the basement, he said "Who are you?" and surprised No Rang, she accidentally hurt her foot.

- Joon Ha and the others are coming in, and Ppal Kang surprised that No Rang was standing there, Joon Ha also asked "who r u?"

- while Ppal Kang comforting No Rang, Tae Gyu asked "is it hurt? do you need to go to hospital" she replied " not it doesnt hurt at all, i dont need to go to hospital, therefore please dnt kick us out, we have nowhere to go, please, please", as she cried [seriously, i cried too at this scene]...

ah, already tired of typing...picture speaks better i think...

Pa Rang comes out...

4275450274_7252e67999.jpg

cute kids

SFFTSE04100112HDTVXViD-SANavi_00193.jpg

Cho Rok greetings....[kinda sad too....], i like her frog bag though...

SFFTSE04100112HDTVXViD-SANavi_00203.jpg

Ppal Kang cries while cleaning....

SFFTSE04100112HDTVXViD-SANavi_00234.jpg

and our lovely Joon Ha was listening outside...

SFFTSE04100112HDTVXViD-SANavi_00236.jpg

broken hearted Tae Gyu, when he knows that his noona was loving his big Uncle...

SFFTSE04100112HDTVXViD-SANavi_00276.jpg

our cute Nam Yi, so sad that Ppal Kang fired because of him...

SFFTSE04100112HDTVXViD-SANavi_00314.jpg

Ppal Kang prepares her heart for her new job...

SFFTSE04100112HDTVXViD-SANavi_00331.jpg

PREVIEW

Kang Ha will know Ppal Kang working as a hostess, wonder what he will do though...[plz stop being cold-ice-hearted richard simmons man..]

SFFTSE04100112HDTVXViD-SANavi_00-2.jpg

bad guy [looks like he is the father too...] teasing Ppal Kang, seriously, if Kang Ha doesnt do anything when this happen, well, he doesnt deserve Ppal Kang too...

SFFTSE04100112HDTVXViD-SANavi_00340.jpg

thats all from me...keep updating later...

:)

Guest pas_sub

CAPS from ep3....

some funny scenes...

poor the nephew

poor Joon Ha too...

brokenheart...i feel his character pitiful too here...

WUASE03100111HDTVXViD-SANavi_002078.jpg

Pa Rang, sleepwalking, seriously, i never seen stuffs like this in reality...

WUASE03100111HDTVXViD-SANavi_002516.jpg

No Rang ghost...

WUASE03100111HDTVXViD-SANavi_002686.jpg

actually, its not...

WUASE03100111HDTVXViD-SANavi_002695.jpg

isnt he adorable, gosh, we share same age...

WUASE03100111HDTVXViD-SANavi_003321.jpg

if everyone hasn't seen it already, you guys should seriously consider dl-ing or somehow watching Intimate Note 3 in which Kim Ji Hoon and Choi Jung Wan guested. Their chemistry was cute to watch and Kim JiHoon and Shin Jung Hwan's comedic chemistry from Sang Sang Plus carried over. It was fun to watch ^^

Guest kukiemonster

in the first place, I did not consider to watch this drama as it seems a typical drama with a girl dreaming of marrying a col-hearted man. But after watching this, my heart fell for the kids. Their acting is impressive where I also cried and laughed with them. The kids who play the big brother joo hwang played it really well and I cried a bucket when Cho Rok was outside shivering and talking on the phone with Pal Kang. I love this kids.

Anyways, I want to thank Semi-Fly, Cute Girl, Tekin and Holden for providing the download links. Thank you so much.

:lol: i have finally started to check out this drama... ahahaha

i liked it right off from the start with the first episode...

i think i'm in the mood for one of these type of dramas... (and that's perfectly okay~) kekeke

I love Dramabeans but sometimes she doesn't have the same taste in dramas as I do so I get left out. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

FIGHTING!

^awww...

This series is good. I dont know people are into it. The leads are not that famous but the story is rather good. Well it's nothing new but it sure is refreshing.

^ gosh, for me it's a relief from all the big fanfare for the other just started dramas that's getting so much buzz. then again, i seem to end up watching shows where the leads don't have that buzz factor --- or the show doesn't have that buzz factor... (but in the end does one way or another) but that's okay...

and to be honest, this is my first drama with shin dongwook with a major role (since i last saw him in a drama)... so kinda checking out how he's going to play out his role.

Edit: and i'm perfectly fine with the 2 male leads' hair. XP

Guest charis89

Episode 4 recap :D

Jun-ha brings the brother-sister to a fast food restaurant, where learns the truth Pul-gang has all along been hiding her siblings in the basement. Pul-gang pleads him to keep the secret to himself. If Kang-ha knows the truth, he will throw them out of the house. To which Jun-ha advises they should owe up first to prevent encountering such situations.

When the threesome reach home, Jun-ha is greeted by the immature Tae-gyu (jumping up and down like a kid, and shouting sam-choon. omgs CUTE!), who tells his uncle he just visited the hospital for a checkup. When Pul-gang and Joo-hwang step out of the car, Tae-gyu recognizes him as the thief and gets the picture. At this time, Kang-ha catches an unaware No-rang in the living room. Startled to see house owner, she drops the boiling pot of porridge and scalds her foot. Jun-ha comes in thereafter, and is equally surprised to see a kid in their house. Oh oh, their secret has been found out.

It is a weepy scene in the living room as the Won family learns of No-rang’s relation with Pul-gang. No-rang begs the adults not to make them leave; she promises to stay out of their way if that is what it takes to let them stay. Unable to stand the sight, Kang-ha retreats to his room and Jun-ha follows after to convince his brother to help Pul-gang. She really has no choice. A young woman bringing up two kids and has no place to go is really pitiful.

Jun-ha comes down to inform the Shins of the arrangement. Kang-ha agrees to let them stay but don’t let him see her siblings. Pul-gang concedes without hesitation but Tae-gyu is flabbergasted, how can they not bump into another when living under one roof? (Well, they haven’t found out about the other three? Have they? Proves the way is workable.)

The nice and helpful Tae-gyu brings in the pizza he ordered earlier on, but makes his uncle pay the bill. Joo-hwang suggests that they bring the pizza in their room to eat so they won’t be in Kang-ha’s way when he comes down and actually stick to the promise. Before the siblings leave, the smarty Tae-gyu gives them a jolt, Pal-gang, Joo-hwang, Cho-rok, Pa-rang, No-rang, yah, interesting. He is really not bright enough to put two and two together. His sudden sharpness almost makes No-rang blurt out everything but is stopped by her sister.

For the first time after their parents died, the kids finally have a proper meal and all thanks to Jun-ha. They really like Jun-ha and are singing praises of him – how old is he? He is nicer than the mean lawyer... The happy mood sours as they talk about the grandpa, whom they think has disappeared as their parents are no longer around.

In-goo is making a scene in the hospital. He has been blaming himself ever since the argument he had with his father. Jae-young comes and is appalled to see her father in a miserable state. He confesses to Jae-young about his misgivings. In-goo must have been feeling bad that night that he keeps ranting about his deceased mother and tells his wife that he is actually responsible for his mother’s passing.

To make sure she makes breakfast for the three men, Pul-gang forces herself to stay awake the whole night. She eventually whips up a meal, though not appetizing and the soup is not Kang-ha’s favourite. Tae-gyu saves her out of trouble, and shows a victory sign at his special one. Unfortunately, there is yet another problem - rice crust~ The two brothers leave in a huff; they feel cheated. Before others, Jun-ha appears to be disappointed but he still persuades his brother to give Pul-gang another chance, which he abruptly rejects.

At lunch, the thrifty colleague brings Jin-joo a cup of coffee. Bring, because the coffee is left by some unknown. Sadly, the cup is knocked over by the sleepyhead Pul-gang. (Which is a good thing.) Pul-gang gets called for sleeping in Kang-ho’s class, and is brutally reminded of her presence here. At home, Joo-hwang and No-rang are eager to get rid of Tae-gyu. When he hears crying noises, the siblings quickly sing a song to divert his attention. After Tae-gyu leaves for work, the siblings gather to help share their sister’s work. Joo-hwang cooks, Cho-rok cuts the vegetables, No-rang irons the clothes and Pa-rang is in charge of looking after the maknae. However, things go wrong.

The Won brothers go to Tae-gyu’s workplace and watch their nephew fumble during the performance. Kang-ha asks why Jun-ha does not marry Jae-young instead and to which, the latter replies that he never vies with his brother. Walking down the streets, Kang-ha recognizes a familiar-looking woman except she is not who he is looking for.

Pul-gang reaches home to find a group of injured children. It is not as if she does not understand their intentions, but if they always get injured how? Peeved by Joo-hwang’s remark, she scurries to do house chores. Cleaning, cleaning, she finds her way to Kang-ha’s computer. Later that night, Tae-gyu sees the sleepwalking Pa-rang again. This time, he is sure he is not seeing ghosts because of Kang-ha. The family is called to the living room, where Kang-ha finally figures things out. (He is really a lot smarter than Tae-gyu!) Not hearing what Pul-gang has to say, he wants them to move out within one week.

While the Shin siblings are fretting about their survival, Jun-ha and Tae-gyu are fighting on the second floor to lengthen their stay. They fail to reach a conclusion as the night is late. Pul-gang accepts the decision even though she feels miserable. She carries on with the chores but eventually breaks down in the bathroom. Jun-ha happens to be outside and overhears her conversation to her mother and her sobbing.

The next day, Pul-gang meets with her friends at work and tells them of the current situation. She is at her ends and even suggests selling her kidney so she can buy a house. She gets a chiding from her friends, but what can she do? She has left with no choice. Jun-ha is in his office, where he fits bits and pieces – milk powder, crying noises. He pulls Pul-gang one side and asks about Nami. Jun-ha then tells her to keep it from his brother. However, the man has already found out and it makes no difference to him whether there is a baby or not.

Pul-gang’s problem is making the brothers fallout as Jun-ha disagrees with Kang-ha’s aloofness. Tae-gyu is devastated when he learns that Pul-gang has once liked Kang-ha but the depression quickly goes away as she assures him everything is the past now. Tae-gyu then tells her not to give up, there is surely a way to continue staying in the house.

The next morning, Pul-gang brings Nami to the company again and leaves him with the cleaning lady while she reports for work. When she returns for Nami, she finds her friend being reprimanded by her superior. Just then, Jae-young and Kang-ha are around and witness Pul-gang telling the superior the baby is hers. Jae-young’s mood is spoiled after sacking Pul-gang and finds Kang-ha in his office, where she receives a call from the hospital. Chairman Jung has woken and is looking for his elder son, who is already dead. (Signs of amnesia?)

Life has to go on. After being dismissed, Pul-gang starts looking for another job and finds one. She leaves Nami at home this time. She shows up in a black revealing dress and deep red lipstick, she is working as a hostess in a nightclub. Tears glistering in her eyes, Pul-gang bows to the customers and introduces herself as Mimi.

---

After watching the second time, I feel a lot towards Pul-gang. Taking care of five kids is no feat. She is one tough cookie,okay? If anyone busts her off, I'm going to be like Jun-ha or Tae-gyu and stand up for her. Boy~~ I like the two men so much. I am really peeved at Kang-ha. But I think my attitude is going to change soon. I'm pretty sure he will let them continue to stay after seeing what Pul-gang has to resort to.. Even so, I'm secretly wishing Pul-gang will choose Jun-ha.

With this, I shall end with one of my favourite scenes from episode 4.

Image28.jpg

@ charis89, thanks for the wonderful recap. This drama is really getting on to me. To me it has the same vibe as Brilliant Legacy, which is ofcourse a good thing. Now i can't wait for monday, I will watch raw this time though my knowledge of korean is very very limited.

Archived