Gong Hyo Jin 공효진

melusine

"M" and "Happiness" have been invited to the Toronto International Film Festival! :w00t:

They're in the Visions programme and Contemporary World Cinema programme, respectively.

http://www.tiff07.ca/filmsandschedules/visions/

Visions focuses on the innovative. It spotlights work that challenges our notion of mainstream cinema and explores new territory. Featuring unusual approaches to storytelling, experimental filmmaking techniques and new technologies, Visions is an exciting programme featuring the work of brazen newcomers and veteran filmmakers alike, pushing the boundaries of contemporary cinema.
http://www.tiff07.ca/filmsandschedules/fil...707111814511386

The mysterious letter M, title of Lee Myungse’s mesmerizing new film, resonates with meanings and allusions. “M” stands for memories; it evokes “Miriam: A Classic Story of Loneliness,” the acclaimed short story by Truman Capote; it is the first letter of meng, Mandarin for “dream”; and it also recalls “Mist” by Chung Hong-hee, a very popular song in Korea at the end of the sixties.

Another blaze of glory in Lee’s cinematic firmament, this moody and melancholic supernatural love story is brought to life onscreen by the director’s unique, sophisticated style.

Hallucinations and nightmares torment up-and-coming young author Min-woo (Gang Dong-won). He cannot concentrate on his new work, the much-anticipated follow-up to his first successful novel, nor can he lead a normal life. Old photos and images he does not recognize – though they are somehow familiar – materialize from the darkness as if developed in a darkroom. Haunted by these spectres of memories he can’t remember, he drags himself through days of confusion and alienation. Mimi (Lee Yeon-hee), a beautiful young woman, follows him around like one completely lost in love. As Mimi intones the notes of “Mist” for him, long-ago recollections sparkle in the darkness of his mind as if illuminated by flashbulbs. Flickering memories of his first love claim his concentration, calling for him to remember.

In his quest for a visual language that makes the most of the cinematic medium, Lee has elaborated an inimitable, personal way of filming; he has drifted away from the shores of mainstream narrative to explore new territories of visual expression. Toying with the well-exploited and commercially successful genres of melodrama and romance, Lee works his singular magic in M. Oscillating between dream and reality, Hollywood classics and cartoonish images, he whispers and shouts the lines of his wonderfully innovative poetry. [--Giovanna Fulvi]

707111814511386dir.jpg

Lee Myung-se was born in Baekmajang, South Korea, and studied film at the Seoul Institute of the Arts. He worked on film sets, including as an assistant director for Bae Chang-ho, before directing his first feature film, Gagman, in 1988. This was followed by the films My Love, My Bride (90), First Love (93), Bitter and Sweet (95), Their Last Love Affair (96), Nowhere to Hide (99), Duelist (05), which played in the Visions programme at the 2005 Festival, and M (07).

http://www.tiff07.ca/filmsandschedules/contemporaryworld/

Festival programmers scour the globe to find the best of current international filmmaking. Contemporary World Cinema is a lavish collection of films featuring premieres and prize-winning film selections from a variety of film festivals. From Vietnam to Iceland, Kazakhstan to Chile and beyond, Contemporary World Cinema is your ticket to a world-wide cinematic tour.
http://www.tiff07.ca/filmsandschedules/fil...707111812431386

Talented director Hur Jin-ho has signed Happiness, his fourth story of memorable love, with a steady hand and intricate writing. Melodious and incisive, his storytelling streams into a seamless account of joys and sorrows, narratives that are familiar and yet portrayed with vibrant freshness and originality. Casting a sharp, perceptive look at the simple facts of life, Hur’s minimal storylines typify modernity; he seems to have inherited from Yasujiro Ozu the ability to crystallize the passing of time in his films.

A gentle melodrama staged against a background of wounded lives, the film tiptoes into one’s mind and calmly but assuredly finds a special place there, dwelling in thoughts and memories long after it ends.

Young-su (heartthrob Hwang Jung-min) treats his life carelessly. Speeding down the fast track of existence, he accelerates by drinking and clubbing. But when he falls ill with cirrhosis of the liver, his friends and lovers abandon him, and his business plunges toward bankruptcy. Forced to reconsider his lifestyle, he reluctantly decides to go to a sanatorium in the countryside to cure his illness.

Eun-hee (Lim Soo-jung) paces her days carefully, for a critical lung disease is shortening both her breath and her life. She treasures each moment as a precious gift and tries to expand her time on earth in a constant fight with death. She does not show her pain but happily lives her daily routine – open-air exercise, a healthy diet, chores – with courage and hope.

The sanatorium is a strange place to adapt to and an even stranger place to fall in love, but inexplicably, Young-su starts to feel something more than a simple physical attraction to Eun-hee. At first he flirts with her – an old habit from his city life – but then he starts to fall for her quiet charm and positive, loving attitude.

Capturing fragments of truth and reality with easy elegance, Hur tells a new story of great humanity. Rather than intrude in his characters’ lives, he lets them breathe to the rhythm of his controlled narrative, rendering an incisive portrait of nascent emotions. Never overly sentimental, Happiness enjoys a great clarity of expression and a remarkable transparency of feelings, enhanced by Hur’s genius in directing his actors. [--Giovanna Fulvi]

707111812431386dir.jpg

Hur Jin-ho was born in Jeonju, South Korea, and studied philosophy at Yonsei University and film at the Korean Academy of Film Arts, both in Seoul. At KAFA , he directed the short For Kochul (93). His debut feature, Christmas in August (98), was screened in the Critics’ Week selection of the 1998 Cannes Film Festival. His other features are One Fine Spring Day (01), April Snow (05), which was a Special Presentation at the 2005 Festival, and Happiness (07).

Is GHJ walking the TIFF red carpet too much to hope for? :blush:

Harper's Bazaar September issue

20070822196372007082254hr3.jpg

click for bigger-sized scan

20070822196372007082254su6.jpg

KongHyoJin_Vogue_070905_01.jpg

KongHyoJin_Vogue_070905_02.jpg

Dayuumm, what a great assemblage of actors! :w00t: But then I may be a wee bit biased since most of the 13 are favorites of mine (and yes I do mean the watch&collect-everything-they're-in-get-excited-everytime-I-see-them-onscreen definition of favorite). Seriously, it's like a K-film lover's wet dream.^^

This thirteen-actor photo spread is for the Cinema Angels Project; proceeds earned will be donated to fostering the development of indie films.

when the first time i see gong hyo jin in sang doo i don't like her

she's not pretty in my eyes

but when i see her acting and the way she cried, smile, her voice ..

she is really beauty!

and i like to see her in that mag, she's so very sexy ^^

thanks for sharing the pics, news and the link too ^______^

Guest Pebrero

I don't consider her very attractive but she is a great actress.

I just start watching Thank you, and I truely appreciate her acting skills.

though i do like her since watching Sangdoo LGTS, i find her become more n more beautiful..!

Happy for you HyoJin onni! ^^

thx everyone for all pics!!

Some new photos of Miss Gong from *which I believe* September issues of Bazaar and Vogue (there's a whole set of each on her Sidus homepage, unfortunately only those with Sidus login ID can get ahold of these photos atm..).

B0F8C8BFC1F85_borahya33.jpg

B0F8C8BFC1F83_borahya33.jpg

B0F8C8BFC1F82_borahya33.jpg

B0F8C8BFC1F8_borahya33.jpg

An old pic of the GongGong couple which has just been recently resurfacing on the net.... (argh.. my favorite!! I keep a full-load folder of their pics on my desktop <_<)

untitled-17_hyunhwa90.jpg

Last but not least, she's been updating her cyworld with a whole bunch of pics from her trip to Barcelona for a magazine photoshoot, at some dinner/party and what-nots. Here's a very interesting one with Song Hye Gyo and Im Soo Jung. Indeed, the girl who's friends with everybody.

C7ECB1B3BEF3_hanzansoo.jpg

credit: borahya33, hyunwa90, hanzansoo - naver/daum blogs.

I have no idea why I've never posted in here before because I love this girl.

She is such an awesome actress & almost always she looks super in everything she wears.

The pics from Harpers Bazaar & Vogue are sizzling.. thanks for sharing =D

PS- Can not wait to see 'M'!!!

I think she is a good actress I really like her is ruler of your own world she played that part good her character in that show was kind of like a evil richard simmons and she played a richard simmons real good.

They are showing Thank You on azn.tv where I lived and she is so good at playing a mother in this drama and she was good in sangdoo lets go to school she acted pretty good with Rain.

available in my NEW CB

:lol:

http://clubbox.co.kr/cashewmania

Please download lots and help make my CB gold! :w00t:

Thanks a bunch, Tsukie! :D

BoA - Mist MV feat. M movie scenes starring Kang Dong Won, Lee Yeon Hee, Gong Hyo Jin.wmv [29.2MB]

http://down.clubbox.co.kr/cashewmania/vxwge

If you're interested in being a part of my team of uploaders, please PM me. ^_^