SUPERMAN RETURNS (2006)

Guest papabear

Out of curiousity, i was wondering what the people who saw the movie thought of this line by a film critic: "It amazed me at how little dialogue Brandon Routh had. Did they think he can't act, but picked him because he was physically appealing?" (Not exact quote)

the idea is that Bryan Singer (the director) picked brandon routh because he looks like christopher reeves, who was superman in the 1978 Richard Donner movie. after watching the movie, beyond looks, routh seems to have an uncanny resemblence in natural manerisms and voice that christopher reeves had.

singer is family friends with donner (the director of the 1978 movie). singer even used to live with him. there's a lot of stuff in the new movie that takes its cues from the 1978 movie: the opening credits, the music score, krypton "crystals" and the use of marlon brando's scenes. in that way critics consider it Superman 2.5 (an unofficial sequel)

I agree that routh kind of sucks as an actor but he isn't awful. superman returns is a hard movie to shine in, even kevin spacey isn't too good in the movie. It's lame but the initial criticisms about routh being superman had less to do with his acting and more due to the rumor that singer (who's gay) cast a gay actor to play superman.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PINKXDREAMER

didn't like the movie. it was so cheesy. and i don't know... just didn't really like it. kevin spacey was hilarious though.

Guest JuWon6o

saw the movie last night. movie was kinda cheesy but i liked the movie overall. it had its funny moments and intense moments. i thought the movie was kinda long though.overall id say its a B+.

Guest Phizzle!

i saw this the first day it came out, i dunno why i havent replied yet. anyway, the fact of the matter is...

I LOVED IT!

i loooove everything about this movie. brandon routh was great as superman. hes very good looking, even my mom thinks hes better looking than christopher reeves aha. i dunno why everyone is hating on kate bosworth, but she looked super nice. i like her more as a brunette.

Guest Sky's Crying

Out of curiousity, i was wondering what the people who saw the movie thought of this line by a film critic: "It amazed me at how little dialogue Brandon Routh had. Did they think he can't act, but picked him because he was physically appealing?" (Not exact quote)

I haven't seen the movie yet, so i can't judge.

Yeah that's completely true. Brandon Routh only had a few short lines here and there. He did have a striking resemblance to the actual comic though, that's probably why they chose him.

Guest erure

i'm the 100th replier yay >_<

omg superman returns was such a good movie~ brandon routh is so hot >_< >_< >_< now i'm really into superman and googling random trivia about him and stuff :crazy:

//edit

did anyone think about his hair? i thought it was really funny because of that littler curl in the front because sometimes when he's in water and stuff his hair turns into a mess but a moment later it's back into that perfect shape with the little curl- watch for it >_< i.e. spoiler: highlight! after he crashes into a park in metropolis and goes to the hospital- before his hair was a mess and in the hospital it's in that neat do again.

Guest Bobosaur

it's interesting to see that most people had the same expections (ie, kate bosworth would not be a good lois lane) and a lot of the same thoughts and reactions after watching the film...such as the cheesiness working for the film.

i actually thought that bosworth's rendition was noteworthy but not the classic lois lane that i envisioned, the passionate, determined, aggressive woman.

and kevin spacey's lex luthor was not what i expected but it worked within the film, nonetheless.

but brandon routh completely embodied the superman persona! physically and otherwise. i heard that his eery resemblance to christopher reeves was not the only connection he had to the superman character, but that the portrayal of clark kent was an extension of his real life personality...soft spoken, kind, clutzy...and that he knew random facts. kate bosworth shared that he told her one day out of the blue that the platypus was the only mammal to lay eggs. cute huh?

i am a routh fan!! ^^

overall, loved the superman story, the characters, and the feel...wasn't the best movie but it is definitely a good summer movie and dvd!!

Guest getxinfatuated

It's lame but the initial criticisms about routh being superman had less to do with his acting and more due to the rumor that singer (who's gay) cast a gay actor to play superman.

I'm sorry, but i am kind of confused. Are you talking about Brandon Routh being gay? I wouldn't know if he's bisexual, but he is not gay.

Guest erure

I'm sorry, but i am kind of confused. Are you talking about Brandon Routh being gay? I wouldn't know if he's bisexual, but he is not gay.

i know roflmao

brandon routh has a girlfriend and they've been dating for years now so how could he be gay? XP i guess he could be bisexual but i don't think so...

but brandon routh completely embodied the superman persona! physically and otherwise. i heard that his eery resemblance to christopher reeves was not the only connection he had to the superman character, but that the portrayal of clark kent was an extension of his real life personality...soft spoken, kind, clutzy...and that he knew random facts. kate bosworth shared that he told her one day out of the blue that the platypus was the only mammal to lay eggs. cute huh?

actually i found out that brandon routh was instantly cast as superman when bryan singer and brandon routh met at a coffee shop and he spilled his hot coffee (he thought he definitely lost the part for sure at the time) which in singer's eyes looked like the perfect klutzy clark kent.

It was a good movie overall but not great. It had too much boring moments and there wasn't enough action scenes eventhough it's 2 and 1/2 hrs long! The ending blows cuz all the climactic energy just fizzled out then they dragged it for another 15 mins or so. I also didn't feel really strong chemistry between superman and lois lane. Lex was pretty good tho.

Personally I liked the original Superman alot more. Christopher Reeves simply had a ton more charisma than Brandon. And that's what I felt was sorely lacking in Brandon's portrayal of Superman. As Clark Kent, however, Brandon did a pretty good job and alot of the charisma of the original superman were there. As Superman though... I thought Brandon looked a bit uncomfortably ... gay. :ph34r:

Despite all that criticism, it's still the best movie out so far this year... worth the money to see it in the theatres... and it's still definately a must see regardless.

PS: This new superman is stronger than the older version... but he lacks one power the old superman had.... reversing time, baby!

Guest tis a wonderful life

i enjoyed the movie very much. although at first i was a bit hesitant to watch since christopher reeve will forever be the superman in my mind, it was a bit weird to watch some other weird guy playing his role. however, routh played off clark kent so extremely well that i really thought for a second it was reeve. as clark kent he blew me away with his acting, it was classic. thus i warmed up to him and yes i would say, to my surprise, he did a "swell" job. i love how they included lines from previous superman movies. one thing i didn't like, very minimal, but his outfit was tooo dark. i liked the bright red cape and boots, classic superman. i agree his hair was kinda funky. bosworth as lois lane was alright, i didn't feel her performance was great but it was enough, i guess.

it's really weird that superman has a kid (wth?) i still can't get used to that...

SPOILER ALERT:

also, those crystals from his home that lex stole, remember how the girl dropped them all? well shouldn't they have made a massive land mass thingy since only a bit of it already did so much? cause they did fall into the water eventually...i thought that was kind of weird. correct me if i'm wrong anyone?

i didn't particularly enjoy the ending as well. but i guess that's how most superman movies end anyway.

Guest CK92842

PS: This new superman is stronger than the older version... but he lacks one power the old superman had.... reversing time, baby!

That was one of my biggest fears, seeing as how Singer tried to connect his version with Donner's...during the last half hour I thought he was gonna reverse time. ;-( Glad it didn't happen though.

Well as for the...

crystals falling into the water, Superman lifted all that was created by it and tossed it into outerspace. Hopefully during the end after he meets up with Lois, he went back to retrieve them.

Guest o1hunny

i really didn't want to watch hti smovie in the beginning but it acutally turned out really good :blink:

Guest C@nDy_GiRl_iRis

SUPERMAN ROCKED!!! ^______^V

Man! I wanna see this movie again

this week! It was an awesome movie!

I frakin cried when Lex TRIED to kill

superman! T-T* But in the end you

know superman survived!! =]

LOVED IT! I reccomend everyone to

see it if they havent already!

-Iris*

Guest wewereonabreak

hater or not, I think it's hard to deny that it was a solid movie. I mean I can't think of one movie that's absolutely perfect, but this movie had a lot of expectations and I think Bryan Singer did a great job of appealing to everyone, especially those older ones who remember the original.

What a SOLID cast too. wow. I mean, Superman could have been REALLY cheesy if the acting was way over the top, but that Brandon Routh guy was really centered and calm. Even that kid was awesome (when he notices the resemblance between Clark and Superman and you hear his asthma acting up).

I came to see the guy in silly tights doing heroic things with cheesy music in the background. That's the Superman I remembered as a kid and that's what I saw. I have no complaints.

Guest ginger

Oh, and I LOVE the fact that they kept the Superman perfect hair curl. That could have been so lame, but instead, it was classic.

-ginger

Guest wewereonabreak

i heard brandon was cast because he went to some hollywood party dressed up as superman. and then he got cast.

I thought it was just coincidence that he had dressed as Superman before. I don't know...anyway here are the pics. Pretty stunning:

super-BrandonRouth_cp.jpg

brandon-routh-2.jpg

Archived