Snsd Tae Yeon Causes Uproar Over Comments...

Guest un.mei

Guest Lishathestain

I've never read the Alicia Keys one/heard it so I wouldn't know.

Plus I still remember a certain boy band member that I won't bring up saying a certain racist comment as well .. and it wasn't even that big of a deal.

Once again another cultural difference... We're taught in the US that stuff is pure ignorance but believe me ... there's tons of racism going in Asia, not that it's any bit right, but SNSD loves Alicia Keys so it doesn't really matter, especially Sooyoung haha.

I can't do anything about the last comment because the nurses/doctors did send in a bunch of messages to Chinchin basically attacking her, and I mean sick people are moody, she's only human.

MBC Radio/SM said that Taeyeon and Kangin should have been more careful about what they said .. but they meant no harm by it.

I knew they were going to start making a big deal out of this soon .... after I heard the Chinchin for that day .. I knew problems were going to come up.

I honestly don't think Taeng was in the right state of mind when she was saying all this stuff and now she's going to have to deal with this mess.

But I don't foresee this being that big of an issue... just slow news T-T.

psh i know right. I'm not saying what she said is right. but what that certain boy band member said was even more ignorant. way more ignorant.

I think she should say sorry for the comment about Alicia Keys, but not for the hospital one. I mean she was really sick and shouldn't there be at least one nurse that wasn't on lunch break?! seriously..

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pencilcasee.

First of all your translations are a bit off and you might want to include an actual audio clip or something so people can actually hear what was said. A lot of things are lost in translation imo. Anyways, Taeyeon has the right to say her side of the story. Personally, I have seen cases where patients are ignored, but of course every side has a bias so who knows what really went on. She has been really sick though and if she's in pain she has a right to want medical attention. It's hard to believe that every doctor was on a lunch break or something so I felt like there probably was at least one doctor available to help her. I actually really think this comment of hers was a human instinct. We as humans complain and even though she's an idol star she's human as well. It might have not been such a smart move knowing netizens these days, but once again she's as human as you and me and sometimes we can only hold so much in especially when we're sick.

About the Alicia Keys comment, I'm not surprised because it's not the first time I've heard a Korean artist say something of that sort about African Americans. I'm not going to defend Taeyeon and say she didn't say anything wrong, but from what I've noticed it seems like she's not the only Korean who has a distorted and ignorant view about African Americans. She shouldn't have said that, but I don't really think it's her fault for being raised the way she was in a Korean society.

Guest LemonMud

heh...

i think the translations should be cleared up

people are getting the wrong idea and ... gettin' worked up

with being a celebrity... you an "extra responsibility" to know how to separate your professional life and with the personal one. yeah, it's unfair, but fans and critics blow things up and it's your responsibility to know where to draw the line of no crossingness :D

About the Alicia Keys comment, I'm not surprised because it's not the first time I've heard a Korean artist say something of that sort about African Americans. I'm not going to defend Taeyeon and say she didn't say anything wrong, but from what I've noticed it seems like she's not the only Korean who has a distorted and ignorant view about African Americans. She shouldn't have said that, but I don't really think it's her fault for being raised the way she was in a Korean society.

sorry... i just had to

"African Americans..." every African is not American

its true that asian countries are more ignorant... and yes i wouldnt exactly blame her for it

but yeah... YG (especially) praises black people a lot, it's a compliment when someone is called black

idk...

Guest RITSUKO

Personally, I think a lot people in here are defending Tae Yeon over bias as a supportive fan.

She does have the right to be angry, but she shouldn't bring such things up on a radio show in which so many people listen to, she should have told someone about it in private to vent. I think the matter in the hospital was wrong on both parts, the nurses should have acted sooner but I doubt Tae Yeon was going to die--her condition probably wasn't that serious for doctors to come rushing in from their lunch breaks to help her that's why the nurse told her to lie down. Also, she was close to mentioning the hospital's name but didn't because of Kang In. If she did bring up the hospital's name, just think how much the hospital will suffer business wise? Not all the staff there did wrong. Now we don't know the exact translation, so I don't know how she came off or what tone of voice she used, so I have nothing to really say about her attitude in general.

Also, the Alicia Keys comment was pretty bad. It's a compliment but at the same time an insult to colored people. Tae Yeon probably didn't mean any harm but obviously, her view on colored people seems to be different from asians, etc. She could have mentioned she was pretty and left the 'for a black woman' part out.

In the end, as an idol/star on a popular radio show, she should think before saying things that can cause netizens to rile up. After all the uproar about Snsd being disrespectful etc etc blah blah, as the leader she should be the one to prove that Snsd is not like that at all. For all of you disagreeing, saying she was too sick to really think, sick or not, she had the conscious thinking to say these things. Being a leader of a big idol group holds it's responsibilities, but it seems she's not doing a very good job at the most important part. She needs to show the beautiful shine that is in the girls of Snsd rather than the bad.

It's just my opinion, agree or hate me. I am a fan of her, but my views on the whole thing may differ.

it doesn't not. the "치고" part makes it offensive.

I always knew 치고 as "the best" not "For a"

I'm not defending anyone here, if she really meant "for a black girl" then it's ignorant and offensive, but race is a very touchy subject therefore we should be cautious about all translations we make.

Guest system_chaos

B R O K E N smile, those are opinions made from incorrect translations so they are invalid already. But if the nurse told her that she WOULD give her a shot and she just has to wait a bit while the nurse prepares, I don't think Taengoo would be so agitated. BUT AGAIN, that's not the case anymore because the trans was off and the story became skewed. :|

The Alicia Keys thing reminds me of the same ignorance SR had when it came to black people. :| I find that very disappointing. I don't think she's a b**** for saying that, but it makes me sad that even she is ignorant when it comes to matters like these.

She did wrong about the Alicia Keys comment. But there's many people who are like that in Korea, I'm not surprised. But yeah she did wrong. And I'm somewhat disappointed, she should have think it before, but then again, I don't think she's what everyone says.

To be honest, I don't really mind the Hospital comment, she wants to share her thoughts, good for her.

Guest Jamieâ„¢

psh i know right. I'm not saying what she said is right. but what that certain boy band member said was even more ignorant. way more ignorant.

I'm sorry, but there's really no need to bring that up..

and from what I remember.. people on soompi were really pissed off at the person for his comment. I think a letter was even sent asking for his apologies

I understand you're trying to stand up for Taeyeon, but by mentioning this, you're not really helping her much =T

Guest dancingbymyself

I don't really care for the Hospital thing..my opinion is whatever to that but my problem is the Alicia Keys comment.

HELL NO!!

Who is she to say that about Alicia Keys

"for a black person she's really pretty"

Yeah I can see the "compliment" in it but also the IGNORANCE.

You probably live in a multicultural country right?

Living in Korea, there's a huge chance she's never

seen a black person in person. Also personally

even though I live in America I don't see that many black people

I think are good looking. Actually including celebs I can count

the number of black people that I think are pretty with two hands.

It's not racism... it's just the standard for what's considered pretty

in Korea and what's considered pretty for black people is different.

That doesn't mean I have a problem with the majority of black people

I just don't find them very attractive.

^ Yeah I live in America.

& believe or not there are some color folks/ black ppl in Korea.

Also she came to America for HB, L.A to be correct there are ALOT of color folks here in LA.

So she has seen "black" ppl in person.

I've never read the Alicia Keys one/heard it so I wouldn't know.

Plus I still remember a certain boy band member that I won't bring up saying a certain racist comment as well .. and it wasn't even that big of a deal.

Once again another cultural difference... We're taught in the US that stuff is pure ignorance but believe me ... there's tons of racism going in Asia, not that it's any bit right, but SNSD loves Alicia Keys so it doesn't really matter, especially Sooyoung haha.

Doesn't really matter?

Are you serious? Both incidents matter especially when they have fans that are colored.

The incident with the "boy band" member does matter, just because ppl wanna dust it under the carpet & ignore it. There are still others that haven't. Especially to some of his fans whom are color skinned.

Yeah it's a cultural difference but these artists do know that the music genre that they sing from comes from colored ppl, & no I'm not just talking about Taeyeon I'm talking about the "boy band" member. These artists should realize that saying things w/o thinking is just makes them look stupid in the end. Taeyeon herself should know since her group had to deal with it the whole "think before you speak" thing.

Point is the comment she made does matter saying it doesn't just makes you also look bad.

the doctors had ALL gone off to lunch? I didnt know all doctors had to take lunch together at the same time of the day and still let patients come in.

Dude do they think that nurses can give prescriptions or something?:blink:

im sorry but if all the doctors in the clinic or hospital(ridiculous) are out for lunch they should have closed the clinic first then open it later.

Guest l0vel0vek0rean

Okay well my words to Tae Yeon is, get over it.....

This kind of things happen everyday, and most are worse.....and just because she's a celebrity, she can complain to the public? Sorry but I have to say, if she doesn't want to see anymore negative comments about herself, she should start talking about things that the public 'might' care? I mean, of course you're not supposed to bash the hospital on a radio show, and they certainly weren't going to (and we're not going to know which one), so why bring the issue up in the first place? It's not like we care, seriously, she should think about that......

And for the Alicia Keys comment? She needs to think before she say things, and if anymore inappropriate comments slips out of her? She has no right to be a radio host......

wait i just listened to the whole audio clip ... and what part of the translations are wrong?

the IV part ... she uses the word '주사' which is SHOT ... at the end kangin says "링게" which is drip IV which is still a shot.

i just went back and changed anything that was off but essentially that's it.

don't get me wrong here i don't think she's entirely wrong for the nurse thing but come on you want to defend her that badly that you're going to blame this as all nonsense bc i got DRIP IV and Shot wrong? O_O

and she NEVER says "she said she couldn't give me the shot because she was eating"

to be EXACT if you want to be ...

she says the nurse was in the middle of eating when she came out

and then kangin says "so that's the sole reason she couldn't give you a shot nothing else?"

and then tae yeon replies "yes it was meal time"

. . .

my translations were right. she implies she thinks it's bc of the meal but this is kangin and taeyeon jumping to conclusions and then they get a text message later on in the radio show that says "a nurse cannot give a shot without a doctor's approval" and tae yeon says "fine i must be wrong"

^ I think that translates to she's the prettiest black girl?

so it's translated that way?

anyway bout how being treated in the hospital well ppl who felt really sick will be so sensitive

if you do watch chinchin this past few days you will know how sick she was, she couldnt even sing even smile so lil even couldnt joke around

let's say the nurse think her condition just ok but she's actually not and only asked her to wait and lay down while she's not feeling ok at all, atleast the nurse could do check her up 1st (not wait till they finish the meal @_@ ) no need to give shot like right away no, esp when ppl already said they feel so sick and cant stand it anymore, it's not bout her being celebrity even non celebrity will feel the same atleast i will esp when it comes to health, coz for me NO WAITING for health coz even it seem not serious but still could be dangerous, who knows @_@

Guest Uyen Duong

on the radio they played a song by alicia keys and the comment she made was ... "for a black person she's really pretty"

Okkk, that comment made me make a disapproving face.

But hey, I still like Taeyeon.

Just because of some faults (or maybe a lot), I'm not going to go hating on Taeyeon.

I feel that's a bit immature.. S:

I mean, come on. I'm sure once in your life, you have said this and that, similiar to the things

she has said, but no one really does anything about it. After all, you're just a normal citizen roamin'

around town without having cameras flashed at you, unless it's your friends.

She's human too- they make mistakes, plenty of them. -___-;;

I understand her, because even I can't control what I say sometimes.

My friend has talked to me about it nicely, and she told me she still loves me (LOLLL),

but you know- it's just me. I can't really do much about it. The only thing I can think

of is, to just not talk at all.

Guest jeong_baby

Oy.

For a black person, Alicia Keys is really pretty?!

Seriously, Tae Yeon? Seriously?

Lmao, for an Asian person, Tae Yeon is pretty stupid...

LOL

But seriously, talking about your bad experience at a hospital on live radio isn't even interesting. :huh:

Shouldn't she have talked about more light-hearted stuff to cheer up the economy right now? Where was she trying to go with explaining that whole nurse story?

Alicia Keys is absolutely talented and beautiful<3

Guest Lishathestain

I'm just curious which one is the bigger cause of the "uproar" the hospital incident or the Alicia comment?

I'm sorry, but there's really no need to bring that up..

and from what I remember.. people on soompi were really pissed off at the person for his comment. I think a letter was even sent asking for his apologies

I understand you're trying to stand up for Taeyeon, but by mentioning this, you're not really helping her much =T

yea I know I just realized how I sound after I posted it bleh and I wasn't trying to stand up for Taeyeon on that matter. I actually want her to apologize for that one.

You probably live in a multicultural country right?

Living in Korea, there's a huge chance she's never

seen a black person in person. Also personally

even though I live in America I don't see that many black people

I think are good looking. Actually including celebs I can count

the number of black people that I think are pretty with two hands.

It's not racism... it's just the standard for what's considered pretty

in Korea and what's considered pretty for black people is different.

That doesn't mean I have a problem with the majority of black people

I just don't find them very attractive.

i kinda have to agree with this too though.

and Kangin, oh dear.. I mean he works as a DJ longer than her, he should've stopped her..

Guest honeyxswt

mehh I'm not a huge fan of SNSD but it still is sad hearing about things like this.

umm I haven't heard about the Alicia Keys thing. Wow, but if that's true-

that's umm.. not appropriate for anybody to say on a radio show.

I'm sure she meant it as a compliment but it is an insult to black people. =_=

I think the part that made netizens even more pissed was how she "apologized."

She said that it was "HER fault" for being sick.

And well, I don't think she has the right for to keep from people going to that hospital.

I dunno, she shouldn't have said that on a radio show- she could have just privately said that to Kangin while commercials were going on or something.

Archived