Snsd Tae Yeon Causes Uproar Over Comments...

Guest un.mei

Guest yimmmah

well, it's a good thing she didn't reveal the hospital name! It would've been uncalled for if she did -.-"

but I don't see a problem with her saying what she did on the radio. it's also a form of entertainment to hear about things like this and I'm sure it's something that some ppl can relate to (an irresponsible nurse...leaving a suffering patient waiting to go finish lunch =="...to me that's very irresponsible)

hmmm...and I could see why ppl would call her racist about that Alicia Keys comment ~_~ maybe it was just a slip of tongue? let's hope so. I hope the korean netizens can cool off soon and move on...it's not fun to dwell on negative things

edit: okay...apparently the translations [about alicia keys] on the 1st page isn't accurate? ... ugh, okay well just clarify in case ppl start quoting me out of feeling I've wronged taeyeon, my comments are solely based upon the 1st page translations...nothing else

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if it wasn't anything i dont see why many people in korea would find it offensive i think it IS an offensive comment it's just that she doesn't know it. she meant it as a compliment. just bc her tone didn't sound full of hate does not mean it wasn't a bad comment.

yimmah agree with you Health is the most important thing serious or not it's bout ppl's life, she shared information bout what she just experienced, coz i will do it too if im a radio DJ to make the nurses and doctors in that hospital also aware

you know someone should fixed that translation and make new Subtitle like "translation corrected" @_@ something

and soy bout alicia keys you never heard of it??? i wonder where other ppl "hear" it

you know someone should fixed that translation and make new Subtitle like "translation corrected" @_@ something

and soy bout alicia keys you never heard of it??? i wonder where other ppl "hear" it

I think this is the link :

http://leegy.egloos.com/4815021

the second player press play...

and tae yeon specially says ... "흑인 치고 정말 예쁘죠!~"

that translates exactly to "for a black person she's extremely pretty isn't she!"

Guest misz.perfect.

I am not condoning Taeyeon's actions, but let the person who has never once made a biased, discriminatory, or racist remark in his or her life be the first to condemn her.

Why do people magnify celebrities' mistakes because of their status? We're responsible for our own actions and no one else's.

Guest jeong_baby

From your soy her/himself:

BTW Taeyeon did say "She is pretty for a black person", but after listening to the audio, it's in no way offensive. In no way was she putting Alicia Keys down, I also think this is another case of lost in translation ... Her tone didn't show that atleast even though you're right about 치고 being a bit offensive, I think the tone kind of proved otherwise. IDK if this was on American radio/television it would have caused bigger problems, but because it's in Korea, there's not much that can be done about it.

Just because Soy hasn't heard it (actually she did...she read it after the OP posted the clip on page 2 I believe) does not mean it doesn't exist.

i put up a link to the audios -.-;;; it's not made up.

and i just went over my translations ...

and put it up on the first post.

i think it's really ridiculous for people to find any way to defend her.

whether she knows it or not it was a tactless and ignorant comment.

and while you can use the word "치고" in a positive connotation there are much more negative connotations to it.

Guest Lishathestain

I don't find the hospital issue offensive at all, she was just ranting and it's pretty common for DJs to rant and add their personal comments in their programs.

Yes, you can translate it as that, but you can also translate it as:

"When it comes to black people she is the prettiest!"

In south korean calling a black person '흑인' doesn't have a negative connotation, since there isn't another word for it.

ok that can also be translated to this?

this is so confusing. T-T

does this mean doctors/nurses will become SNSD Antis? :lol: ok sorry that's not funny..kinda.

It's funny how we in Soompi are more upset about the Alicia Keys comment, but I'm guessing Korean Netizens are more upset about the hospital comment :lol:.

why did they say her apoligize is meaningless? they just don't want to accept an apology ..no matter how from the heart it is anyway.

Guest inyeon.

er. i thought taeyeon said "shes a really pretty black woman."

people who speak fluently clear it up please.

but honestly, HECK, everyones racist. especially people on soompi.

about the hospital thing. i dont really care =/ here in the US, people chat on radio shows all the time. i cant see why its "disrespectful" in korea. damn, everything is disrespectful.

whatever. she was having a bad week, and obviously people will blow it out of proportion anyway.

edit:

if taeyeon apologized, forgive it. it might still be offensive but theres nothing more you can do. it wasnt even meant to be offensive, its more like a confusing translation.

I don't find the hospital issue offensive at all, she was just ranting and it's pretty common for DJs to rant and add their personal comments in their programs.

Yes, you can translate it as that, but you can also translate it as:

"When it comes to black people she is the prettiest!"

In south korean calling a black person '흑인' doesn't have a negative connotation, since there isn't another word for it.

Was this the same Chinchin where Kangin was like "you're pretty for a korean girl" to Taeyeon as well. I don't remember but now that I think about it sounds familiar.

if it wasn't anything i dont see why many people in korea would find it offensive i think it IS an offensive comment it's just that she doesn't know it. she meant it as a compliment. just bc her tone didn't sound full of hate does not mean it wasn't a bad comment.

People in Korea .. you mean the netizens on Daum and Naver right? Cause other than that I don't see people protesting outside of MBC Radio over this issue. I don't think the intention for her comment was bad. The way it was used ... was more of a compliment than anything else imo. When you're reading a transcript with translations versus when you listen to it, it has two completely different feelings.

The apology came from MBC/SM that's why people don't find it sincere, I guess, they said that Kangin and Taeyeon should have watched what they were saying but they meant no harm. I guess they're just waiting for them to apologize on air, then.

I think International fans blow things way too out of proportion.

Guest passmethewrinch

I am not condoning Taeyeon's actions, but let the person who has never once made a biased, discriminatory, or racist remark in his or her life be the first to condemn her.

Word.

It's funny how we in Soompi are more upset about the Alicia Keys comment, but I'm guessing Korean Netizens are more upset about the hospital comment :lol:.

lol I noticed that too. I guess it's just the cultural difference showing btwn Korea and the "West" again.

@inyeon. : lol but it is kinda true.

And yup, we definitely do.

Guest swtanjel012

first of all the netizen SERIOUSLY needs to get a life and chill. they always cause an uproar over every little comment. what happened to the freedom of speech. radio commentators are allowed to talk freely on their opinion. i do agree that what taeyeon was inappropriate , especially the alicia keys comment. she could have just talked about her experience but she didnt really need to exploit the location and whereabouts of the hospital.

Her comment about Alicia Keys is pretty disappointing... ( I love Taeyeon...)

And about the hospital thing... She said those things with unawareness of hospital practices so i think it is kind of understandable... but she should learn to think first before making such comments. A nurse can't really give a shot to a patient unless it is ordered by the doctor. On that kind of situation, the nurse's job is to explain to the patient that she can't give because there's no doctor yet... And from the way Taeyeon reacted in her radio show, it seemed like the nurse didn't explain that to her... a mistake from the side of the nurse.

i don't like how antis will make such a big deal out of this... to bring Taeyeon down.

^

lol antis will make it even more in extreme way just wait XD

ok got it ppl @_@

so many translation which one the real one???

but for real think it again do you really think Taeyeon said that to make a bad comment bout black ppl? for real tho

judging her as bad person over this just so ridiculous and hating her over this also eeek @_@

seems like most ppl just love to take things negative way

Was this the same Chinchin where Kangin was like "you're pretty for a korean girl" to Taeyeon as well. I don't remember but now that I think about it sounds familiar.

People in Korea .. you mean the netizens on Daum and Naver right? Cause other than that I don't see people protesting outside of MBC Radio over this issue. I don't think the intention for her comment was bad. The way it was used ... was more of a compliment than anything else imo. When you're reading a transcript with translations versus when you listen to it, it has two completely different feelings.

The apology came from MBC/SM that's why people don't find it sincere, I guess, they said that Kangin and Taeyeon should have watched what they were saying but they meant no harm. I guess they're just waiting for them to apologize on air, then.

like i said i don't she meant as a racist comment but as a compliment but that doesn't condone it or make it alright. it's still alright and i would hope as someone that really likes her that she realizes what kind of a mistake it is. what's wrong is wrong ... whether she meant it or not.

Guest Lishathestain

oh so agree.

lol sometimes way more than the Korean Netizens. sometimes..

Guest plumblossoms

I agree too... though I understand the netizen's reaction to the hospital bit, the Alicia Key's comment I don't think there's a huge mob about to attack Taeyeon for it...(yeah it sounds racist to us, but not to them) People have different perceptions of what is right or wrong... plus there's all these translations floating around...and it's slightly confusing ^^;;

Archived