Snsd Tae Yeon Causes Uproar Over Comments...

Guest un.mei

Guest splendidlure

lol. I understand that Taeyeon just wanted to compliment Alicia Keys. However, she could've easily just said Alicia Keys is so pretty and stop there.

I don't think she's racist. Racist people adamantly either hates a certain race or more or think of them lowly. Her comment was just ignorant and narrow-minded.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Senorita_

Well, I got to understand how Taeyeon was feeling because she was really sick, and she was just pointing out her issue. Good thing was she didn't tell everyone the hospital name.

As for her racial comment. There's no other words to say a black person in Korean, let alone in Chinese as well. In Korean and Chinese it's said and written as 黑人(hak yun) or 흑인 (huk in). I personally don't find that offensive. But if translated to English, then it may sound offensive to most.

Guest SuperKyle

Well if people can say "Tiffany is in Korea now she should understand that culture" than I think international fans need to understand that not everything is like what it is where they live. In Asia, particularly, they deal with race on a whole different scale. For us, it might be extremely offensive because that's what we're taught here, but for them, that's just like whatever. I'm pretty sure these artists, when they do radios and just about everything don't expect the world to be judging them, they usually cater to the Korean audience, hence why so many Korean netizens aren't fond of Soompi.

BTW Taeyeon did say "She is pretty for a black person", but after listening to the audio, it's in no way offensive. In no way was she putting Alicia Keys down, I also think this is another case of lost in translation ... Her tone didn't show that atleast even though you're right about 치고 being a bit offensive, I think the tone kind of proved otherwise. IDK if this was on American radio/television it would have caused bigger problems, but because it's in Korea, there's not much that can be done about it.

i agree with Soy, most wouldnt understand because of the cultural differences,

in the US you cant get away with this type of comment but in Korea its different(although still not right)....

although Tasha did try to educate Koreans about it... let's just say that Korea isnt very enlightened to the hardships of minorities...

Guest jeong_baby

like i said i don't she meant as a racist comment but as a compliment but that doesn't condone it or make it alright. it's still alright and i would hope as someone that really likes her that she realizes what kind of a mistake it is. what's wrong is wrong ... whether she meant it or not.

Oh-so agree. :)

Guest system_chaos

I think as long as people aren't saying that she's 'trash' or whatever derogatory comments then it's fine to comment that what she said was ignorant. I'm not going to turn into an anti because of this (she's a singer and I like her first and foremost for her vocal talent), but at least I'm going to be more informed. "Ah, so she has this bit of ignorance as well, because of her culture."

I don't think that's bad. :|

I think a lot of people that are finding the Alicia Keys comment are just reading the text T-T and not listening to it in context, hence why everyone is like this is wrong that is wrong. But it's a cultural difference for us it's ignorant, because we were taught about racial discrimination is a bad thing, but not everywhere is like that in the world, and rofl why don't people be more open minded and accept that. Wrong to us might not be wrong to them. Everyone saying it's bad is ultimately being narrow-minded at the culture difference as well, when you think about it.

Guest pencilcasee.

like i said i don't she meant as a racist comment but as a compliment but that doesn't condone it or make it alright. it's still alright and i would hope as someone that really likes her that she realizes what kind of a mistake it is. what's wrong is wrong ... whether she meant it or not.

I don't think anyone here, even fans, are saying that her Alicia Keyes comment wasn't wrong. However, like someone else posted the comment can be translated in another way. Like CphirMaig said, it could also be translated into "When it comes to black people she is the prettiest!" . Things get lost in translation so it depends on how you want to see it and interpret what she said. Either way no one is saying it wasn't wrong especially all of us who've grown up in a Western society, but I think a lot of us are trying to say that a comment like that doesn't define Taeyeon as a racist nor does it mean she's a bad person. In my opinion, it basically shows that a lot of Eastern socities are still very ignorant about African Americans. I'm not trying to make the situation better or worse by comparing Taeyeon to anyone else, but the fact is this isn't a first time a Korean artist has said something of this sort. Rather than comdemn them, I just see it as the fact that they were raised in a society that has some distorted views about certain things and people. They see things different from us here in the West. There are things Westerners do that offend Asians as well. What's right and wrong for someone isn't exactly always the same to others.

Guest EUNSHIHAE

once again....another pointless conversation.

----

I think a lot of people that are finding the Alicia Keys comment are just reading the text T-T and not listening to it in context, hence why everyone is like this is wrong that is wrong. But it's a cultural difference for us it's ignorant, because we were taught about racial discrimination is a bad thing, but not everywhere is like that in the world, and rofl why don't people be more open minded and accept that. Wrong to us might not be wrong to them. Everyone saying it's bad is ultimately being narrow-minded at the culture difference as well, when you think about it.

and for the so called "racist" comment.

it wasn't even that racist. I agree with what Soy said up there.

I think half the things that snsd says, i dont think that they

even find it offensive AT ALL. Some people are just like

that because of the different social social backgrounds that they

were taught. I have some friends who say some things to me

that i found very offensive but they didn't know that because of

how they were raised.

Guest roseseraphix

LOL! people making a fuss over her comment over alicia keys. At least Taeyeon is actually praising her over her Alicia's beauty.

just wait people, lifeless antis will make this even more serious~ *coughSTANDcough*

Because it's narrow minded to accept ignorance. Cultural differences nonwithstanding.

How would you guys feel if a non-Asian person said,

"For a Korean, Tae Yeon is pretty."

That statement implies that Koreans are generally unattractive and Tae Yeon is just an exception.

edit*

But if this is the actual remark :

"When it comes to black people she is the prettiest!"

^Then I find it to be... silly. And nothing really more, I guess.

ok talking bout racist in america and in korea

mmm remember how korean music esp Rap used to use this (im sorry i didnt mean to say this just wanna give example) "N" word into their songs if you listen kpop esp backthen? none really look at it as a big deal maybe just some

(and some songs still use it even now i just forgot the song but i remember hearing this word again after quite sometimes)

to them it might be cool to say that words coz just like been stated above what's racist in america could be not in korea coz they barely even encounter black ppl and even have the talk bout how they shouldnt say this or that which actually could be considered as racist tho

Guest Lishathestain

^oh i've seen a clip of some Korean celebs trying to be all that saying "wassup my n" and i thought people would comment on it. But they didnt.. haha.

LOL! people making a fuss over her comment over alicia keys. At least Taeyeon is actually praising her over her Alicia's beauty.

just wait people, lifeless antis will make this even more serious~ *coughSTANDcough*

lol they probably already have a thread open to discuss this xP

Because it's narrow minded to accept ignorance. Cultural differences nonwithstanding.

How would you guys feel if a non-Asian person said,

"For a Korean, Tae Yeon is pretty."

That statement implies that Koreans are generally unattractive and Tae Yeon is just an exception..

rofl my mom said that -_- because well really, she hasn't seen that many Koreans. but my mom isn't an SNSD member so .. xP

Guest s i m p l ynotme

truly saying...

i think the hospital one was a good wakeup call

i mean a nurse should do her job and try to grab a doctor or something... take action for what she is payed for

i feel bad for Taeyeon that she had to go through that horrible nurse...

but the comment about Alicia Keys was not necessary but you know...

everyone screws up she probably didnt REALLY mean it that way...

hwaiting...

Guest star-struck

lol. that's basically all i'm doing right now... is lol.

i cannot believe a comment by 1 snsd member would get 5 pages of response in less than a day.

way to blow things out of proportion. it looks like people really care about these girls. -__-

i see nothing wrong with the first comment about the nurse. she can say whatever she wants on radio, it's just an anecdote. i've heard way worse on the radio. i don't even get why people are complaining. korean netizens are so sensitive, it's like they don't have other things to do but to prey on celebs. snsd is snsd because they just say what they want to say. why should they have to watch what they say? this goes for all celebs. if people don't like what they're saying or are just plain picky, then they probably shouldn't even be paying attention to them.

as for the alicia keys comment, there's no way to clear things up because different people have different perspectives. as an asian american, i don't think she meant it as anything offensive, but rather a complement because she's seen like what, 5 black people (exaggeration) in her whole life. but putting myself in the place of a black person (impossible, because i'm not one), i might interpret it as offensive. but bottom line is, all races have prejudices against each other, so a comment like this by a 19 year old shouldn't even raise this much discussion, especially since it's taken out of context.

you know this really reminds me of when my relatives make derogatory and racist comments. and i hate when they use excuses as cultural differences and other nonsense. whether they are living here or there it's still wrong and it's NEVER okay to be racist and when people don't want to admit it and use excuses to pardon their comments or actions ... is really ... unfair. especially if you are that minority. bad is bad ... the korean netizens although they get mad over the silliest things ... i think something like this is definitely something to be upset about. as a korean person i find it embarrassing and tactless that the korean americans think it's okay for her to make comments like that bc that's our culture. that's just BS. i don't care what her intentions were ... it was still the WRONG way to say it. that doesn't mean i dislike her ... but i dont understand why people need to find reasons to defend her or make this OKAY. bc racism is NEVER okay doesn't matter WHERE you're from ... it is NEVER okay and it will NEVER be even SLIGHTLY fixed if we always use these stupid excuses. it will FOREVER be okay in korea bc everyone will be like "oh that's okay this is korea there are no black people here we don't know any better." that's just pure BS.

Guest passmethewrinch

edit*

But if this is the actual remark :

"When it comes to black people she is the prettiest!"

^Then I find it to be... silly. And nothing really more, I guess.

Exactly.

Why am I replying so much to this topic, anyways? Taeyeon doesn't need to be defended. She didn't even do anything wrong.

I'm laughing at myself right now.

Guest she-smiles

well, why didn't the nurse just tell taeyeon that she wasn't allow to give her a shot without the doctor's consent?

(or did she?)

but i don't know, what ev.

i could care less about this situation.

Guest infinityyy

ok talking bout racist in america and in korea

mmm remember how korean music esp Rap used to use this (im sorry i didnt mean to say this just wanna give example) "N" word into their songs if you listen kpop esp backthen? none really look at it as a big deal maybe just some

(and some songs still use it even now i just forgot the song but i remember hearing this word again after quite sometimes)

to them it might be cool to say that words coz just like been stated above what's racist in america could be not in korea coz they barely even encounter black ppl and even have the talk bout how they shouldnt say this or that which actually could be considered as racist tho

Was Korean rap that "bad" "back then"?

Foreigners could easily mistaken the 'n' word with 니가 or 내가, which don't have anything to do with the 'n' word.

you know this really reminds me of when my relatives make derogatory and racist comments. and i hate when they use excuses as cultural differences and other nonsense. whether they are living here or there it's still wrong and it's NEVER okay to be racist and when people don't want to admit it and use excuses to pardon their comments or actions ... is really ... unfair. especially if you are that minority. bad is bad ... the korean netizens although they get mad over the silliest things ... i think something like this is definitely something to be upset about. as a korean person i find it embarrassing and tactless that the korean americans think it's okay for her to make comments like that bc that's our culture. that's just BS. i don't care what her intentions were ... it was still the WRONG way to say it. that doesn't mean i dislike her ... but i dont understand why people need to find reasons to defend her or make this OKAY. bc racism is NEVER okay doesn't matter WHERE you're from ... it is NEVER okay and it will NEVER be even SLIGHTLY fixed if we always use these stupid excuses. it will FOREVER be okay in korea bc everyone will be like "oh that's okay this is korea there are no black people here we don't know any better." that's just pure BS.

I can understand why you aren't fond of this incident; I agree with you.

I guess it all just depends on the person--how willing they are to accept/forgive mistakes.

Archived