Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Variety

Clint's 'Changeling' set for Cannes

Angelina Jolie stars in Eastwood film

By TODD MCCARTHY

Posted: Tue., Apr. 22, 2008, 9:30pm PT

Clint Eastwood's "Changeling," a 1920s-set mystery thriller starring Angelina Jolie, will be part of the competition lineup at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival.

The full slate of Cannes Official Selection entries is being announced today in Paris.

"Changeling," which Universal will release domestically in November, also stars John Malkovich, Amy Ryan and Colm Feore. Pic will be Eastwood's fifth to compete in Cannes, after "Pale Rider," "White Hunter, Black Heart," "Bird" and "Mystic River."

In a reversal of how the situation looked late last week, Woody Allen's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona," which stars Penelope Cruz, Scarlett Johansson and Javier Bardem, will appear in Cannes after all, with Allen attending the fest over the initial weekend.

In another switch, it seems that Barry Levinson's "What Just Happened?" may not close the fest, leaving question marks over both the opening and closing slots, which have been unusually difficult to fill this year (Daily Variety, April 18).

Speculation continues to surround Steven Soderbergh's dual Che Guevara features, "The Argentine" and "Guerrilla." Despite the desires of both Soderbergh and Cannes topper Thierry Fremaux to premiere the films on the Croisette, it looked all but certain last week that the biographical dramas simply wouldn't be ready in time. No one is saying the situation has definitely changed, but the competition schedule is being left flexible enough to accommodate Soderbergh in case he decides the films are in shape to present to the public -- a result for which Cannes programmers have evidently been given some reason to hope.

It would hardly be the first time a not-entirely-finished film unspools in Competition; indeed, "Apocalypse Now" and "Paris, Texas" were both further reshaped by their directors after winning the Palme d'Or.

Among other last-minute additions to the competition are the new pictures by Chinese helmer Jia Zhangke and Singapore's Eric Khoo. South Korean auteur Kim Jee-woon's "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" will be shown in the Official Selection in a special screening.

YES!!!!! :w00t:

GBW in the Special Screening, Official Selection category!!! :w00t:

Thanks Helena for the update.. I was :wacko::sweatingbullets: looking for the latest info of the list. :blush:

Finally. Wonder if the delay was to facilitate more (Asian) movies participating in the festival. Anyway.. glad to know that it's been confirmed.

Right?

Guest kdramafanusa

GBW in the Special Screening, Official Selection category!!! :w00t:

Thanks Helena for the update.. I was :wacko::sweatingbullets: looking for the latest info of the list. :blush:

I missed this part earlier:

The full slate of Cannes Official Selection entries is being announced today in Paris.

Yes!!! It's confirmed. I believe this article came out even before the announcement in Paris.

Yes!!! It's confirmed. I believe this article came out even before the announcement in Paris.

Awesome news! :w00t: Now we wait for the official list. I just hope that ICWTR might be in the competing category. :sweatingbullets:

This is the news update that Eldri highlighted for us just now. I was trying to babelfish the content.. heart beating faster seeing the mention of 'Special Screening'... :blush: .. but afraid to jump into anything yet. :P

Guest Janie Simply

Thanks Helena & Eldri :P for the great news; The cowgirls must be celebrating at GBW site now; Wait a minute..., where's Rubie's siggy so I giddy up to there through shortcut :sweatingbullets:

I've been checking various sources for the Cannes selection list but so far, it hasn't been posted anywhere.. probably not much longer. Just a few hours different in time zones but I sure hope the speculation will end on a high note for GBW especially.

Even as BH would still be in Cannes (assuming he'll go with the ICWTR cast/director).. it would be a double treat to see him with the GBW team as well. :mellow:

Yee HA!!! Congrate to the 3 Cowboys & the Director :w00t:

♥ Wonder when the next storm will come? :blush:

Hunnie, can you handle such storm :sweatingbullets:

Hunnie, can you handle such storm :sweatingbullets:

As long as it's not the 'destructing' kind :sweatingbullets: .. we should be alright.. hope so. :blush: :lol:

If I faint.. like always.. the hunnies here will help me up again.. huh.. huh.. and vice-versa. :rolleyes:

But in the meantime.. let's enjoy the thrill of being swept by our own special STORM. :blush:

---

Btw.. are we still waiting for the official list :mellow: .. variety.com is too fast. :sweatingbullets:

Edit: notice at Cannes official site.. all information of the list will be released/posted after 1.00 pm local time.

Guest zacey

LOL! Indeed the best reason to be excited and to be active again. :lol:

We have the IRIS thread opened as soon as it was announced that BH's returning to tv. There's a shortcut to the drama thread at my signature space and kdramafanusa has it, too. :)

for LBH... DEFINITELY!!! :lol:

ok... found it... thanks!!!! now going in to spam... :P

Guest Janie Simply

Source: Variety

Clint's 'Changeling' set for Cannes

Angelina Jolie stars in Eastwood film

By TODD MCCARTHY

Posted: Tue., Apr. 22, 2008, 9:30pm PT

Clint Eastwood's "Changeling," a 1920s-set mystery thriller starring Angelina Jolie, will be part of the competition lineup at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival.

---

Among other last-minute additions to the competition are the new pictures by Chinese helmer Jia Zhangke and Singapore's Eric Khoo. South Korean auteur Kim Jee-woon's "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" will be shown in the Official Selection in a special screening.

Come to think of it, didn't Mr. Eastwood star in Good Bad Ugly during his younger days :sweatingbullets: It should be fanscinating for him to watch the Oriental version of GBW at Cannes B)

Come to think of it, didn't Mr. Eastwood star in Good Bad Ugly during his younger days :sweatingbullets: It should be fanscinating for him to watch the Oriental version of GBW at Cannes B)

Good point, Janice. *nods*

He was THE GOOD in the earlier version of the movie. It'll be interesting to find out what the response would be after the screening as it'll be the first time anyone seeing a complete GBW. It's so exciting that the movie is finally going to Cannes. I think they really wanted to screen Dir. Kim's latest work as he's been there with A Bittersweet Life. Plus there are Song Kang Ho and Lee Byung Hun as well who are no strangers to the international fest. And Jung Woo Sung is also well known for his movies.. especially Musa.

It's a plusplusplus treat! :lol:

Change of Luck

I guess .. :mellow: .. we can't have it all.. when GBW.. is finally in.. it's ICWTR.. that is not found.. :sweatingbullets: unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. :wacko:

April 23, 2008

Cannes Film Festival - Unveiled Line-Up

Unveiling the line-up for the 61st edition of the world’s biggest film festival, which runs from May 14-25, organizers said there was a feeling that “a new cycle was beginning” after the widely hailed success of last year’s event.

“It won’t have escaped you that the selection process was long, complicated and quite difficult,” Thierry Fremaux, the festival’s head, told a news conference that was delayed from an originally scheduled date last week.

cannes.jpg

IN COMPETITION

"24 City," China, Jia Zhangke

"Adoration," Canada, Atom Egoyan

"Changeling," U.S., Clint Eastwood

"Che," Spain, Steven Soderbergh

"Un Conte de noel," France, Arnaud Desplechin

"Daydreams," Turkey, Nuri Bilge Ceylan

"Delta," Hungary, Kornel Mundruczo

"Il Divo," Paolo Sorrentino, Italy

"Gomorra," Italy, Matteo Garrone

"La Frontiere de l'aube," France, Philippe Garrel

"Leonera," Argentina, Pablo Trapero

"Linha de Passe," Brazil, Walter Salles, Daniela Thomas

"La mujer sin cabeza," Argentina, Lucrecia Martel

"My Magic," Singapore, Eric Khoo

"The Palermo Shooting," Germany, Wim Wenders

"Serbis," Philippines, Brillante Mendoza

"The Silence of Lorna," Belgium, Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne

"Synecdoche, New York," U.S., Charlie Kaufman

"Waltz With Bashir," Israel, Ari Folman

OUT OF COMPETITION

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," U.S., Steven Spielberg

"Kung Fu Panda," U.S., Mark Osborne, John Stevenson

61cannes1a.jpg

"The Good, the Bad, the Weird," South Korea, Kim Jee-woon

"Vicky Cristina Barcelona," U.S., Spain, Woody Allen

MIDNIGHT SCREENINGS

“Maradona,” Spain-France, Emir Kusturica

“Surveillance,” U.S., Jennifer Lynch

61cannes2a.jpg

“The Chaser,” South Korea, Na Hong-jin

SPECIAL SCREENNGS

“Ashes of Time Redux,” Hong Kong, Wong Kar-wai

“Of Time and the City,” U.K., Terence Davies

"Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired," U.S.-U.K., Marina Zenovich

"Sangue Pazzo" (Crazy Blood), Italy-France, Marco Tullio Giordana

SCREENING OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE JURY

“The Third Wave,” U.S., Alison Thompson

UN CERTAIN REGARD

“A festa da menina morta,” Brazil, Matheus Nachtergaele

“Afterschool,” Antonio Campos

“De Ofrivilliga,” Sweden, Ruben Ostlund

“Je veux voir,” France, Joana Hadjithomas, Khalil Joreige

“Johnny Mad Dog,” France, Jean-Stephane Sauvaire

“La vie moderne (profiles paysans)”, France, Raymond Depardon

“Los Bastardos,” Mexico, Amat Escalante

“Milh handha al-bahr,” (Salt of This Sea), Palestine, Annemarie Jacir

“O’ Horten,” Norway-Germany, Bent Hamer

“Soi Cowboy,” Thomas Clay

“Tin Che,” (Parking), Chung Mong-Hong

"Tokyo!," France, Japan, Bong Joon-ho, Michel Gondry, Leos Carax

"Tokyo Sonata," Japan, Kiyoshi Kurosawa

“Tulpan,” Germany, Sergey Dvortsevoy

"Tyson," U.S., James Toback

“Versailles,” France, Pierre Schoeller

“Wendy and Lucy,” U.S., Kelly Reichardt

“Wolke 9” (Cloud Nine), Germany, Andreas Dresen

“Yi ban haishui, yi ban huoyan,” Fendou Liu

CINEFONDATION

“Ba Yue Shi Wu,” U.S., Jiang Xuan

“Blind Spot,” France, Johanna Bessiere, Cecile Dubois Herry, Simon Rouby, Nicolas Chauvelot, Olivier Clert, Yvon Jardel

“Et dans mon coeur, j’emporterai…,” Belgium, Yoon Sung-A

“Forbach,” France, Claire Burger

“Gata,” Russia, Diana Mkrtchyan

“Gestern in Eden,” Germany, Jan Speckenbach

“Himnon” (Anthem), Israel, Elad Keidan

“Illusion Dwellers,” U.K., Rob Ellender

“Interior. Scara de bloc,” Romania, Ciprian Alexandrescu

“Kestomerkitsijat,” Finland, Juho Kuosmanen

“The Maid,” U.S., Heidi Saman

“Naus,” Czech Republic, Lukas Glaser

“O Som E O Resto,” Brazil, Andre Lavaquial

“El Reloj,” Argentina, Marco Berger

“Shtika” (Silence), Israel, Hadar Morag

“Stop,” South Korea, Park Jae-ok

“This Is a Story About Ted and Alice,” U.S., Teressa Tunney

SHORTS IN COMPETITION

“411-Z,” Hungary, Daniel Erdelyi

“Buen Viaje” (Bon Voyage), Javier Palleiro, Guillermo Rocamora

“De Moins en Moins,” France, Melanie Laurent

“El Deseo” (The Desire), Mexico, Marie Benito

“Jerrycan,” Australia, Julius Avery

“Love You More,” U.K., Sam Taylor Wood

“Megatron,” Romania, Marian Crisan

“My Rabbit Hoppy,” Australia, Anthony Lucas

“Smafuglar,” Iceland, Runar Runarsson

Source: http://www.filmofilia.com/2008/04/23/eastw...-film-festival/

Guest TY_KSW

Dir Tran premiered the movie in Paris? So Hunnie will go there too?

If Dir Tran cud make another ocation in his father land? :rolleyes: i mean.. a good reason n chance to get Hunnie here!!!!!!!! :lol:

Dir Tran premiered the movie in Paris? So Hunnie will go there too?

If Dir Tran cud make another ocation in his father land? :rolleyes: i mean.. a good reason n chance to get Hunnie here!!!!!!!! :lol:

Uhhh, TY.. actually ICWTR is not in the final list despite the almost sure 'speculation' that it'll be premiering at Cannes. :unsure:

Unless.. unless.. there's another (unmention) section for it.. which I highly doubt. :sweatingbullets:

So.. I'm not sure. :mellow: But of course.. Cannes or no Cannes, the movie will obviously premiere in France first where it's mainly financed/produced.. not to mention that Dir. Tran is also French-based.. right? Then.. hopefully.. a cool worldwide premiere-promo treat for the fans. :blush:

But I hope BH will make it to Cannes for GBW.. want to see him soooooooo BAD.. :tears:

Guest TY_KSW

Uhhh, TY.. actually ICWTR is not in the final list despite the almost sure 'speculation' that it'll be premiering at Cannes. :unsure:

Unless.. unless.. there's another (unmention) section for it.. which I highly doubt. :sweatingbullets:

So.. I'm not sure. :mellow: But of course.. Cannes or no Cannes, the movie will obviously premiere in France first where it's mainly financed/produced.. not to mention that Dir. Tran is also French-based.. right? Then.. hopefully.. a cool worldwide premiere-promo treat for the fans. :blush:

But I hope BH will make it to Cannes for GBW.. want to see him soooooooo BAD.. :tears:

Pandarube.. reading your hoping... i may think you are living in France hahah! :w00t:

Pandarube.. reading your hoping... i may think you are living in France hahah! :w00t:

I know. :sweatingbullets: .. what I wrote.. doesn't really sound right.. huh.. but too excited to think laa. :blush:

But look at it this way.. :phew:

Near or far.. there's rubie wherever Hunnie is! :w00t: LOL

Guest TY_KSW

I know. :sweatingbullets: .. what I wrote.. doesn't really sound right.. huh.. but too excited to think laa. :blush:

But look at it this way.. :phew:

Near or far.. there's rubie wherever Hunnie is! :w00t: LOL

"wherever you go, whatever you do, i wll be right here waiting for you!!" Hunnie! i mean Vietnam! :lol:

Guest kdramafanusa

I am pretty sure that he'll try his very best to be there. :)

Whoops. The list from Variety up there wasn't complete (must be my pc going cuckoo.. :sweatingbullets: )..

Here's the rest of the films.. in another 2 categories (most are documentaries & short films).. so.. still no ICWTR.. :mellow:

Amended the previous post of Cannes 2008 line-up

CINEFONDATION:

“Ba Yue Shi Wu,” U.S., Jiang Xuan

“Blind Spot,” France, Johanna Bessiere, Cecile Dubois Herry, Simon Rouby, Nicolas Chauvelot, Olivier Clert, Yvon Jardel

“Et dans mon coeur, j’emporterai…,” Belgium, Yoon Sung-A

“Forbach,” France, Claire Burger

“Gata,” Russia, Diana Mkrtchyan

“Gestern in Eden,” Germany, Jan Speckenbach

“Himnon” (Anthem), Israel, Elad Keidan

“Illusion Dwellers,” U.K., Rob Ellender

“Interior. Scara de bloc,” Romania, Ciprian Alexandrescu

“Kestomerkitsijat,” Finland, Juho Kuosmanen

“The Maid,” U.S., Heidi Saman

“Naus,” Czech Republic, Lukas Glaser

“O Som E O Resto,” Brazil, Andre Lavaquial

“El Reloj,” Argentina, Marco Berger

“Shtika” (Silence), Israel, Hadar Morag

“Stop,” South Korea, Park Jae-ok

“This Is a Story About Ted and Alice,” U.S., Teressa Tunney

SHORTS IN COMPETITION:

“411-Z,” Hungary, Daniel Erdelyi

“Buen Viaje” (Bon Voyage), Javier Palleiro, Guillermo Rocamora

“De Moins en Moins,” France, Melanie Laurent

“El Deseo” (The Desire), Mexico, Marie Benito

“Jerrycan,” Australia, Julius Avery

“Love You More,” U.K., Sam Taylor Wood

“Megatron,” Romania, Marian Crisan

“My Rabbit Hoppy,” Australia, Anthony Lucas

“Smafuglar,” Iceland, Runar Runarsson

More at http://www.filmofilia.com/2008/04/23/eastw...-film-festival/

Guest TY_KSW

I wonder how could they clear all that films just in a specific duration.. They should nominate the best selection of each country instead.. :rolleyes:

Did we just had another 'storm' with the Cannes line-up? :sweatingbullets: I must say that I wasn't quite expecting the final list.. although I believed that GBW would be included in the last-minute selection. But seeing no ICWTR.. feels odd especially after being mentioned numerous times in past articles.

So, we could never know anything.. till it's truly confirmed. Seems GBW is also in the Out-of-Competition category just like BSL 3 years ago. BH & Dir. Kim would already be pros this time around. :lol:

Hopefully the press conference for GBW would receive a lot of media attention in the coming festival. I remember how it was quite frustrating for BSL previously.. when the scheduled press conference clashed with that for 'Star Wars Episode III – Revenge of the Sith' at the same time. :blink:

Yet.. this time, in the same category.. GBW is placed with 'Indiana Jones' latest feature.. :mellow: .. which incidently is the most anticipated movie at the festival.

I am pretty sure that he'll try his very best to be there. :)

Sure hope he will be there, BH wouldn't miss the chance.. right? A lot of proposals (of the business or work-related kind ^^) could happen at Cannes. :rolleyes:

It'll be nicer and a double treat if he had actually finish filming GI Joe by May. But this is all good. :blush:

I wonder how could they clear all that films just in a specific duration.. They should nominate the best selection of each country instead.. :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken.. the movies are being shown non-stop throughout the 10-day event and screened twice (if there's an overwhelming request) for audience to catch. Not everyone will see everything.. except those in the 'In Competition' category, especially for the juries to pick the best one. But people would obviously have their own list of movies to watch.

Guest kdramafanusa

Official Website: http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en.html

Full List: http://www.festival-cannes.fr/assets/Pdf/G...al/pdf-9135.pdf

Definitions of each category:

THE OFFICIAL SELECTION

The Official Selection consists of two main sections: the Competition and "Un Certain Regard". It is completed by the feature films presented Out of Competition, at midnight or at special screenings. Not to forget the shorts competition and the Cinéfondation's film school selection.

THE COMPETITION

Symbolised by the Climbing of the Steps, the Competition represents both the most visible part of the Festival and the heart of the Official Selection. It welcomes the most highly recognised artists of world cinema and reveals emerging talent. The films in Competition aim to touch international audiences and illustrate the Festival's desire to privilege an "auteur cinéma for the general public". At the Festival's Closing Ceremony, the Jury awards its prizes: the Palme d'Or, the Grand Prix, Best Actor and Best Actress Awards, Best Director Award, Best Script Award and Jury Prize.

UN CERTAIN REGARD

"Un Certain Regard" highlights singular works, original in their message and aesthetics, which reflect the renewal of cinematic expression.

"Un Certain Regard" awards its Prize, sponsored by the Groupama-Gan Cinema Foundation, on the eve of the Official Award Ceremony in the Debussy Theatre.

FILMS OUT OF COMPETITION AND SPECIAL SCREENINGS

Le Festival de Cannes additionally presents feature films Out of Competition and Special Screenings. Out of Competition films are traditionally film-events, marking the year of cinema. The Special Screenings offer the tailor-made exhibition of more personal works.

THE SELECTION OF SHORTS IN COMPETITION

A selection of a dozen international shorts, grouped together into one screening, is presented to the Cinéfondation and Shorts Jury, which awards to the best the Short Film Palme d'Or.

THE CINEFONDATION SELECTION

This international selection of student films reflects both the diversity and dynamism of young creators, and proclaims the trends of the cinema of tomorrow. Three of these works are distinguished by the Jury of the Cinéfondation and Shorts.

CANNES CLASSICS

This section places the prestige of the Festival in the service of rediscovered cinema, with restored prints and re-releases in theatres or on DVD of masterpieces of the past. Cannes Classics equally hosts tributes to foreign film industries and documentaries on cinema.