Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Guest mariaclara

Guest jacinda

I just wanted to say: Best movie of 2005. Seriously. Of all those movies that I saw and had been anticipating, this one was the only one who met my expectations and went above and beyond.

I rewatched the BBC series after seeing it in theaters and then again right after I watched the DVD and as much as I had loved it before, it really doesn't seem that great anymore after seeing this movie adaptation. The acting which I loved before doesn't quite seem so natural, and it bothered me that the conversations were word for word from Austen. This adaptation took the best lines from Austen's writing, added in a few new welcome ones that I felt helped character development and the story (such as the Emma Thompson written scene where Charlotte confronts Lizzy after agreeing to marry Collins), and a liveliness that wasn't present in the BBC one. The quality and money put into this version was also readily apparent.

The old one just seems sort of stale compared to this. No invention, no breath of fresh air for the people who've read the book countless times. It's just acted out, with some nuances, but not much else. The camera work was very boring, whereas I really loved the shots in this movie. I think Joe Wright was brilliant in his camera direction, such as the shot when in Church Darcy glances towards Elizabeth and she immediately looks away, blocking his face in the shot, and where she sees Georgiana, and how she first pops up into the shot when she sees Pemberly followed by her aunt and uncle.

And the acting! I think I keep talking about the acting but I never really go into any depth about why I like it. Elizabeth was so human in this one, so easy to relate to. And Matthew McFayden did such a better job than Firth at showing his emotions for Elizabeth on his face. Firth didn't seem like a man in love when he proposed.

I was incredibly suprised at how well this 2 hr adaptation worked out. I had thought it would bomb because Austen is all about subtlety and how could they fit in all the plot details and get in all her wit at the same time? But they did it.

I think I've said enough. It's just that I've been watching this movie quite a lot lately. On DVD, on my ipod. It's right up there next to Little Women on my shelf. Both are extroadinary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest saranghae

I just wanted to say: Best movie of 2005. Seriously. Of all those movies that I saw and had been anticipating, this one was the only one who met my expectations and went above and beyond.

I rewatched the BBC series after seeing it in theaters and then again right after I watched the DVD and as much as I had loved it before, it really doesn't seem that great anymore after seeing this movie adaptation. The acting which I loved before doesn't quite seem so natural, and it bothered me that the conversations were word for word from Austen. This adaptation took the best lines from Austen's writing, added in a few new welcome ones that I felt helped character development and the story (such as the Emma Thompson written scene where Charlotte confronts Lizzy after agreeing to marry Collins), and a liveliness that wasn't present in the BBC one. The quality and money put into this version was also readily apparent.

The old one just seems sort of stale compared to this. No invention, no breath of fresh air for the people who've read the book countless times. It's just acted out, with some nuances, but not much else. The camera work was very boring, whereas I really loved the shots in this movie. I think Joe Wright was brilliant in his camera direction, such as the shot when in Church Darcy glances towards Elizabeth and she immediately looks away, blocking his face in the shot, and where she sees Georgiana, and how she first pops up into the shot when she sees Pemberly followed by her aunt and uncle.

And the acting! I think I keep talking about the acting but I never really go into any depth about why I like it. Elizabeth was so human in this one, so easy to relate to. And Matthew McFayden did such a better job than Firth at showing his emotions for Elizabeth on his face. Firth didn't seem like a man in love when he proposed.

I was incredibly suprised at how well this 2 hr adaptation worked out. I had thought it would bomb because Austen is all about subtlety and how could they fit in all the plot details and get in all her wit at the same time? But they did it.

I think I've said enough. It's just that I've been watching this movie quite a lot lately. On DVD, on my ipod. It's right up there next to Little Women on my shelf. Both are extroadinary.

I totally agree with you!!!

this movie was excellent..

and although i love colin firth, matthew mcfayden gave mr.darcy a new twist..

keira knightly was also exceptional..

I LOVED LITTLE WOMEN, TOO!!! T_T

do you mean the version with winona ryder and susan sarandon and kirsten dunst?

Guest FoxxiDork85

oy..the movie version butchered the book!!! I don't know, dude... This is an entry I wrote right after I saw the movie:

dude!! I saw the Pride and Prejudice, it was horrid. Although it did gave me all that gushy romantic sentiments, I still feel as though the movie was too short, and it cutted all the necessary elements that made Pride and Prejudice, Pride and Prejudice. Keira Knightly, adorable, but lacked the "strong-willed and determined" as Ms Elizabeth Bennet, and damn it she has no boobs!!! The new Mr Darcy, however, was okay, a little pathetic as compared to Colin Firth's portrayal, but I got to say Matthew McFadyen is quite good looking...HOT!! he has that eye, but he didn't use it as well as Colin Firth. *sigh* Well, I guess it was a good try. Damn, I'm just a retard. hehe

I SAY NOTHING BEATS THE 1995 VERSION!!!!

^ hehe. are large breasts a requirement for the role of elizabeth bennet? must've missed that description in the book.

bought the dvd (boo, no deleted scenes, but then again deleted scenes are usually deleted for a reason). i was planning just to watch it with my mom, but my dad came in and he was like, "wow, this is a good movie!" even though i've never known him to sit through anything remotely chick flick. now i'm going to make my guy friends watch it. actually i think all men should watch it, and take notes on mr. darcy and stuff... jk.

Guest jacinda

I totally agree with you!!!

this movie was excellent..

and although i love colin firth, matthew mcfayden gave mr.darcy a new twist..

keira knightly was also exceptional..

I LOVED LITTLE WOMEN, TOO!!! T_T

do you mean the version with winona ryder and susan sarandon and kirsten dunst?

Of course! That version was cast so well! Winona Ryder was perfect (and got a best actress nomination too!). Everyone was perfect in that movie except grown up Amy. Christian Bale was so hot and the music in the movie was the best score ever made in my opinion.

Of course! That version was cast so well! Winona Ryder was perfect (and got a best actress nomination too!). Everyone was perfect in that movie except grown up Amy. Christian Bale was so hot and the music in the movie was the best score ever made in my opinion.

i LOVE the "little women" score. i've heard it being used for other movie previews as well.

casting, i don't remember. i'd guess it's kinda like the keira knightley issue -- was jo really supposed to be as striking as winona ryder? then again, would anyone have watched if the lead had really looked like jo? i did remember having a big crush on christian bale around that time, though.

I've watched the movie... LOVE IT!!! This was my favorite book. ^_^ This movie is such a "chick flick"

MOST AGREEABLE. seriously like i said, before i used to think that pride and prejudice was a drama fest, i have been ever so contradicted. this movie is incredble. i watched it again today. LOL. im gonna go get the book tomorrow. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tis a wonderful life

i never got a chance to read the book, (funny cause i am a romance novel fanatic and this is the ultimate romance book) but i actually watched bride and prejudice b4 this one. if you don't know, bride and prejudice is the bollywood version, i highly recommend it. anyway, awww...i absolutely love mr. darcy. yes, this movie was awesome. keira knightly is awesome actress.

i swear i was meant to be born in those days when men were still gentlemen (sorry guys) and would take the effort to court the women. gosh, i'm such a hopeless romantic.

i never got a chance to read the book, (funny cause i am a romance novel fanatic and this is the ultimate romance book) but i actually watched bride and prejudice b4 this one. if you don't know, bride and prejudice is the bollywood version, i highly recommend it. anyway, awww...i absolutely love mr. darcy. yes, this movie was awesome. keira knightly is awesome actress.

i swear i was meant to be born in those days when men were still gentlemen (sorry guys) and would take the effort to court the women. gosh, i'm such a hopeless romantic.

, awww...i absolutely love mr. darcy. yes, this movie was awesome. keira knightly is awesome actress.

omg, i compeletly and utterly agree, i remember telling my sister the same thing when we were watching the movie. its soo amazing... I WANNA BE COURTED :tears:

omg, i compeletly and utterly agree, i remember telling my sister the same thing when we were watching the movie. its soo amazing... I WANNA BE COURTED :tears:

WORD. Totally digged the movie. It's wicked! Great cast. Awesome music. Nice sceneries. Beautiful costumes. Absolutely love it! :D

I absolutely ADORE this version! Keira Knightley brought something new to the character and her chemistry with Matthew McFayden is undeniable! I really felt Darcy's love for Elizabeth and it helps that Matt's eyes "spoke" to me! And the Bennett sisters were well cast. I thought Rosamund Pike was perfect for Jane Bennett!

Guest CloudyDays

my sister who absolutely hate "chick flicks" recommended me to see this cuz she said she loved it!

i didnt really wanna see it cuz i dont really like those english accent movies but this movie was SO GOOD! i had to put on subtitles for the movie tho to understand it better lol. but i loved it! i made my bf watch it too lol.

:w00t: i found ppl that love gentlemen!! (btw mudblood, LOVE the avatar!) i wish guys were still gentlemanly and polite and stuff...i soooo dig the poetry and the courteous behavior. and how touching was like a sin haha.

:w00t: i found ppl that love gentlemen!! (btw mudblood, LOVE the avatar!) i wish guys were still gentlemanly and polite and stuff...i soooo dig the poetry and the courteous behavior. and how touching was like a sin haha.

haha, thanks

i completely agree about the sin partt. LOL

my absolute favourite part is the end with the whole "mrs Darcy " thing. OMG!! HOW CUTE> I was punching the crap outta my sister becuase i was soo happy. LOL :lol:

\seriously. it has become my favourite movie

i went and borrowed the 1995 series from the library, LOL :lol:

Guest jing a ling

hey, does anyone know if the american version of the dvd has the end scene where they kiss?

Guest kdrama_luv3r

the movie was pretty! Cute and it more modern even with the period setting.

HAve any seen the BBC verison with Colin Firlth?

He like the Best DARCY!!!!! I love the BBC verison!!! I seen it like 6 times!!!!

Archived