Park Hae-Il 박해일 [Movies: “Decision to Leave”, “Hansan: Rising Dragon”]

Helena

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220207000912
Big-budget Korean films likely to be out of sight in local theaters, for now

By Song Seung-hyun (ssh@heraldcorp.com) | February 7, 2022

Spoiler

spacer.png

Han Je-rim’s “Emergency Declaration” (Showbox)

It will be difficult to find big-budget Korean films in the coming month or so as many of them have delayed their opening dates.  No films with a budget of more than 10 billion won will open before April, as they delayed their release dates.  This is partially due to a surge of COVID-19 cases here. 

The number of moviegoers hit a new low over the Seollal holiday, usually one of the busiest times of the year for movie theaters in Korea.  According to the Korean Film Council’s data, during the Seollal holidays -- from Jan 29. to Feb. 2 -- around 1.36 million people went to the movies. The figure is even lower than the number of moviegoers over last year’s Seollal holiday, which stood at around 1.53 million.   Two of the Korean films that were created at a cost of more than 10 billion won -- “Kingmaker” and “The Pirates: The Last Royal Treasure” -- only sold around 480,000 and 880,000 tickets, respectively, over the Seollal holidays.  Local film industry insiders say that the distributors of the highly anticipated films became more hesitant to fix release dates after seeing the two Korean films’ ticket sales, which fell far short of expectations.

Aviation disaster flick “Emergency Declaration,” directed by Han Jae-rim, which cost more than 24.5 billion won to produce, is have yet to confirm its release date.  The film had its world premiere at last year’s Cannes Film Festival in July. It has been one of the most anticipated films in South Korea because of its star-studded cast, which includes Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon.  The film’s release has been delayed several times since 2020 and most recently it was preparing to open in theaters in January. However, that plan was canceled as well. 

Director Kim Han-min’s “Hansan: Rise of the Dragon” which was set to be released last summer, still does not have a confirmed release date.  The new film from Kim, who directed hit period films like “War of the Arrows” (2011) and “Roaring Currents” (2014), centers around the legendary historical figure Adm. Yi Sun-sin (played by Park Hae-il) fighting the Great Battle of Hansan in 1592.

The musical film “Hero” directed by Yoon Jae-kyun also has not decided its release date yet. The film is a biopic of Ahn Jung-geun, a Korean independence fighter who assassinated Ito Hirobumi, the first Japanese Resident-General in Korea during the Japanese colonial period, in Harbin, China in 1909.

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065596316524854
Korean movies enter Ice Age without official release date
연합뉴스 / 2022-02-07 15:58:24

spacer.png
▲ This photo shows a movie theater. (Yonhap)

Spoiler

▲ This photo, provided by Showbox, shows a poster of "Emergency Declaration" which was supposed to release last month. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Feb. 7 (Yonhap) -- While the Korean box office failed to make headway during the New Year holiday due to the spread of COVID-19, Korean films haven’t scheduled their official releases.  Distributors and theaters explain that great Korean films need to be released to save the movie industry in crisis and the government should support movie openings and abolish restrictions on theater business hours.

A total of 1,364,000 people visited the theater during the Lunar New Year holiday (Jan. 29 ~ Feb. 2), according to the KOREA Box-office Information System. It is about 180,000 less than the number of audiences during the previous Chuseok holiday (Korean Thanksgiving) in September last year.  "The Pirates: The Last Royal Treasure” and the political drama “Kingmaker” attracted about 649,000 and 357,000 audiences, respectively. The two works, ranking first and second in the box office, barely exceeded 1 million viewers.  Considering how the two works are Korean masterpieces that came after a long time, their performances are somewhat disappointing. In the second week of its release, the real-time reservation rate has fallen, making it difficult to expect a big increase in the audience in the future.

The problem is that new Korean films are not expected to be released until next month, even after the end of the first quarter.  In particular, there is no tent pole (a commercial film with a clear success) that has invested more than 7 billion won in production costs for famous directors and actors, so it is estimated that Korean films will be hit by a difficult period.

According to Yonhap News coverage, “Hero” (Director Yoon Jae-kyun), “Hansan” (Kim Han-min), “Alien” (Choi Dong-hoon), “Boston 1947” (Kang Je-gyu), “The Moon” (Kim Yong-hwa), and “Smugglers” (Ryoo Seung-wan) have finished filming but did not schedule the release date.

Upcoming films such as the “Emergency Declaration,” “Confidential Assignment 2: International,” “The Match,” “The Point Men,” “The Roundup 2,” “Bogota: City of the Lost,” and “The Witch: Part 2. The Other One” also don’t have a specific release date. (END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/news.jsp?blbdComCd=601006&seq=5719&mode=VIEW
HEAVEN: TO THE LAND OF HAPPINESS and ESCAPE FROM MOGADISHU to Bookend 20th Florence Korea Film Fest

by Pierce Conran | Feb 23, 2022

Long-Running Italian Event to Screen 76 Korean Films

7AD3592A-7872-47F8-A32C-E226BB4E773C.jpg
Heaven: To the Land of Happiness (2019)

The Florence Korea Film Fest is set to return for its 20th edition this spring, taking place between April 7 and 15. A total of 76 Korean films are scheduled to screen at this year’s edition, including 35 feature-length titles and 41 short films.

This year’s event will be bookended by director Im Sangsoo’s Heaven: To the Land of Happiness, which will serve as the opening film, and Ryoo Seungwan’s Escape from Mogadishu, which has been set as this year’s closing gala presentation.

Starring Choi Minshik and Park Haeil, Heaven: To the Land of Happiness was part of the Cannes Film Festival’s official selection in 2020, though no screenings took place that year, and went on to have its world premiere as the opening film of the Busan International Film Festival last October.

A taught action-thriller set in Somalia in the early 1990s and starring Kim Yunseok and Zo Insung, Ryoo’s acclaimed Escape from Mogadishu was the most successful Korean film released in theaters in 2021 with over three million admissions.

To commemorate the festival’s 20th anniversary, 12 prominent film directors, actors and producers will take part in the festival. This year’s event will also include a section on webtoon adaptations, which will comprise four works.

Guests expected to participate at this year’s Florence Korea Film Fest, which, just like the two prior pandemic editions, will once again proceed as a hybrid online-offline event, will include directors Im Sangsoo, Hwang Donghyuk (The Fortress, 2017) and Shin Suwon (Madonna, 2015), and actors Cho Jinwoong (Believer, 2018) and Lee Jungjae (DELIVER US FROM EVIL, 2020). 

—UPDATE—

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/news.jsp?blbdComCd=601006&seq=5744&mode=VIEW
The 20th Florence Korea Film Fest, Open the Door with Heaven: To the Land of Happiness

by Hellen Park | Apr 08, 2022

Held from April 7 to 15, Lee Jungjae, Cho Jinwoong, etc. Will Meet Italian Audiences

Florence Korea Film Fest, which introduces Korean films throughout Europe and Italy, will be held from April 7 to 15 (local time). Marking its 20th anniversary this year, the festival will attract Italian and European audiences with its special programs.

First, the opening film is Heaven: To the Land of Happiness, directed by Im Sangsoo, starring Choi Minshik and Park Haeil. Heaven: To the Land of Happiness is a touching road movie depicting the story of an escaped prisoner and a terminally ill patient, who accidentally get a large amount of money and go on the last trip of their lives.

An official at the festival said, "The reason we chose Heaven: To the Land of Happiness as the opening film is that it is a very humorous road movie while making us ruminate on the profound meaning of existence. It also has a different color from Director Im Sangsoo's previous films." Starting with the Official Selection at the 73rd Cannes International Film Festival in 2020, Heaven: The Land of Happiness has been invited to domestic and foreign film festivals such as the 26th Busan International Film Festival, the 16th London Korean Film Festival, and the 18th Hong Kong Asian Film Festival, recognized its cinematic quality.

At Florence Korea Film Fest, which marks its 20th anniversary this year, directors and actors representing the Korean film industry will participate in person to meet Italian audiences. Starting Director Im Sangsoo of the opening film Heaven: To the Land of Happiness, Director Hwang Donghyuk and Actor Lee Jungjae of Squid Game, will host a master class at Florence Korea Film Fest. Also, Director Lee Kyuman and Actor Cho Jinwoong of The Policeman’s Lineage will meet the audience through the master class at the festival. At Florence Korea Film Fest 2022, more than 60 short and long Korean films will be screened. The closing film is Escape from Mogadishu, Director Ryoo Seungwan's film that recorded the highest box office hit among Korean films in 2021. 

• 1 month later...

64AFE81C-B628-4421-995A-64BB512D6212.jpg

A poster of "Decision to Leave" by CJ ENM

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/04/14/entertainment/movies/Park-Chanwook-Decision-to-Leave-Cannes/20220414194009960.html
Park Chan-wook’s 'Decision to Leave' invited to compete at Cannes

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr] | April 14, 2022

86AEC25E-650E-4FBF-B2B3-72A61334F448.jpg
Director Park Chan-wook [WATCHA]

Renowned filmmaker Park Chan-wook’s latest film “Decision to Leave” has been invited to compete at the 75th Cannes Film Festival.  It’s Park’s first film after a six-year hiatus since “The Handmaiden,” which was released in 2016.

“Decision to Leave” is about a police detective who finds himself attracted to a mysterious widow after she becomes the prime suspect in his latest murder investigation.  Actors Park Hae-il, Tang Wei, Lee Jung-hyun, Go Kyung-pyo and Park Yong-woo feature in the film. 

Park is no stranger to Cannes: his 2003 film “Oldboy” won the Grand Prix at the 57th edition and 2009 film “Thirst” won Prix du Jury at the 62nd edition.

At the 72nd edition in 2019, director Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite” made cinematic history for Korea after receiving the highest honor — the Palme d’Or. The film went on to win four Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director the following year.

The 75th edition of Cannes will run from May 17 to 28.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220414012251315
'Broker,' 'Decision to Leave' to compete for Palme d'Or at Cannes

By Kim Boram (brk@yna.co.kr) | April 14, 2022

SEOUL, April 14 (Yonhap) -- "Decision to Leave" by renowned Korean director Park Chan-wook and "Broker" by award-winning Japanese auteur Hirokazu Kore-eda were selected for the competition section of the 75th Cannes Film Festival.

In the official selection announced by the festival Thursday, the two Korean films were among 18 works competing for the highest honor, the Palme d'Or, this year.

It is the first time in five years that two Korean films have been invited to the official competition section since 2017, when Bong Joon-ho's "Okja" and Hong Sang-soo's "The Day After" made the list.

Last year, no Korean-made films were contending at the world's most prestigious film fest. Two films -- Hong Sang-soo's "In Front of Your Face" and Han Jae-rim's "Emergency Declaration" -- were listed in non-competition sections.

"Broker" is written and directed by Japanese director Kore-eda, who took home the Palme d'Or for "Shoplifters" in 2018, but produced by Korean companies, like CJ ENM, and starring Korean actors, including Song Kang-ho of "Parasite."

It is the Cannes-winning director's first Korean-language project about adoption, featuring the relationships of characters formed through a baby box, where people anonymously drop off newborns that they can't raise.

"It's Hirokazu Kore-eda with a movie made in Korea. Korea is very attractive to movies," said Thierry Fremaux, artistic director of the annual film festival, during a press conference streamed online. "We find here again one of the greatest Korean actors, and a former member of the jury, Song Kang-ho, who is playing in this movie."

Park, who has won two titles at Cannes for "Oldboy" (2003) and "Thirst" (2009), returned to Cannes in six years since "The Handmaiden" was invited to the competition in 2016.

His most recent film "Decision to Leave" is about a detective who suspects a mysterious widow in a murder case and later becomes interested in her. Chinese actress Tang Wei of "Lust, Caution" (2007) and Korean actor Park Hae-il star in the film.

"It's meaningful to participate in a film festival in the midst of the pandemic," the director said through local distributor CJ ENM. "I'll see as many films as possible at Cannes and will give a standing ovation to them longer than any other people there."

At the same time, the spy action film "Hunt," which is "Squid Game" star Lee Jung-jae's directorial debut, was invited to the festival's out-of-competition "Midnight Screenings."

"Thank you so much to the Cannes Film Festival," Lee said in a statement. "It's an honor to have the premier of my first directorial film at Cannes."

This year's Cannes Film Festival will kick off on May 17 and run through May 28.

(END)

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065577407146341
‘Decision to Leave’ director Park Chan-wook says “great spring news to be invited to Cannes”

Yonhap News / 2022-04-15 10:43:13

(This article is translated from Korean to English by An Hayeon.)

Spoiler

3BF0FD80-13F0-409A-9E29-70BBE81F6822.jpg

▲ A poster of "Broker" by Zip Cinema (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

CAB066D3-7817-43A5-A223-1B17CD219B77.jpg
▲ A poster of "Decision to Leave" by CJ ENM (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Spoiler

41C4BCC5-DE48-4CCB-B026-81E50DE45352.jpg

▲ This image provided by Megabox Plus M shows a scene from "Hunt." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, April 15 (Yonhap) -- “It’s great spring news for everyone who participated in the film ‘Decision to Leave,’” said Director Park Chan-wook, who is entering the competition section of the 75th Cannes Film Festival for the first time in 6 years since “The Handmaiden.”

"It's meaningful to participate in a film festival amid the pandemic," the director said through local distributor CJ ENM, on Thursday.

“I've had plenty of time to think about the meaning of watching a movie theater in groups,” adding, "I'll see as many films as possible at Cannes and will give a standing ovation to them longer than any other people there,” said Park.

The film’s lead actress Tang Wei said, “I’m so happy," adding, "I hope the day will come soon when everyone returns to the theater and recovers their daily lives."

Korean actor Park Hae-il explained, “It was a meaningful time during filming, and I’m even happier to participate in the Cannes Film Festival,” adding, “As I’ve waited for the day to watch a movie in the theater with a lot of people, I’m excited to meet the audience all over the world with ‘Decision to Leave.’”

Park, who has won two titles at Cannes for "Oldboy" (2003) and "Thirst" (2009), will put his name for the fourth time with “Decision to Leave,” following “The Handmaiden” (2016).

Japanese director Kore-eda, who took home the Palme d'Or for "Shoplifters" in 2018, was nominated once again for the Korean film “Broker.” The director said, “I'm glad that this work, which transcends language and cultural differences, was highly praised and it’s a relief that not only me but all the staff and actors who participated in the work were rewarded.”

"This will be my first time attending the Cannes Film Festival in four years, and I want to use it as a good opportunity to think about the meaning of continuing to make and deliver movies to the world at a time of confusion,” added the director. 

Director Kore-eda was nominated for his sixth time in the competition section and set a record for entering the Cannes Film Festival for the eighth time in his career, including the Un Certain Regard section. 

Actor Song Kang-ho will attend the Cannes Film Festival for the seventh time after the film “The Host” (2006, Director's Fortnight), “Secret Sunshine” (2007, In Competition), “The Good, the Bad, the Weird” (2008, Out of Competition), “Thirst” (2009, In Competition·Jury Prize), “Parasite” (2019, In Competition·Palme d'Or), “Emergency Declaration" (Out of Competition). 

Song said, “It’s always exciting and fun to be at the Cannes Film Festival,” adding, “I’m honored and thankful to share the news with director Kore-eda and my fellow actors.” 

This will be the fourth time for actress Bae Doo-na to be invited to the Cannes Film Festival after “The Host,” “Air Doll” (2009, Un Certain Regard), and “A Girl at my Door,” (2014, Un Certain Regard). 

The film "Peninsula," has been named for the Cannes Film Festival, but actor Gang Dong-won was not able to attend since the festival was not held. Gang shared, “I am very grateful that I could hear such good news as this is a work that everyone filmed with all their heart.” 

Lee Ji-eun (IU), who will attend the Cannes Film Festival for the first time said, “I was grateful that I learned a lot last spring and all my experiences were magical while filming ‘Broker,’” adding, “I'm excited and looking forward to attending the Cannes Film Festival because this spring will be as magical as last year's.” 

Lee Jung-jae, who was invited to the festival's out-of-competition "Midnight Screenings,” with his directorial debut film “Hunt,” said, "Thank you so much to the Cannes Film Festival. It's an honor to have the premiere of my first directorial film at Cannes."

Lee said, "I think today's results come from the passion of the production team and the efforts of the actors who performed with all their might," adding, "Thank you for your interest and support, and I look forward to a good response at the Cannes Film Festival."  (END)

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2022/04/15/2022041500896.html
Park Chan-wook, Koreeda's Korean Films to Compete at Cannes Festival

By Kim Sung-hyun | April 15, 2022 10:36

116F6677-E26C-4A7C-95D5-6A682908B040.jpg
Park Chan-wook (left) and Hirokazu Koreeda

Two Korean films have been invited to the competition section of this year's Cannes Film Festival, which announced its official selections on Thursday. The festival will run from May 17 through 28.

Director Park Chan-wook's new film "Decision to Leave" and Japanese director Hirokazu Koreeda's Korean-backed movie "Broker" are among 18 films that will compete for the top prize.

"Decision to Leave," starring Park Hae-il and Chinese actress Tang Wei, revolves around a police detective and the wife of the victim of a murder he investigates.

"Broker" portrays the unexpected journey of those whose lives are linked through a "baby box," where mothers who feel unable to raise a child can drop off their babies anonymously for adoption. It boasts a star-studded cast including Song Kang-ho, Kang Dong-won, Bae Doo-na and IU.

Both Park and Koreeda have won multiple awards at the French film festival.

Park won the Grand Prix for "Oldboy" in 2004 and the Jury Prize for "Thirst" in 2009, while "The Handmaiden" was invited to the competition section in 2016.

Koreeda won the Jury Prize for "Like Father, Like Son" in 2013 and the Palme d'Or for "Shoplifters" in 2018.

Park said, "It is great news for the entire cast and crew of 'Decision to Leave.' I will watch as many films as possible and give standing ovations longer than anyone else."

Lee Jung-jae, who shot to global fame starring in Netflix's hit Korean series "Squid Game," will also be at Cannes, as his directorial debut "Hunt" has been invited to the Midnight Screenings. He also plays the lead role in the film alongside his close friend Jung Woo-sung.

"I'm really honored to have the premiere of my directorial debut at Cannes," Lee said. 

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065575907920830
Box office success ‘The Admiral’ follow-up ‘Hansan: Rise of the Dragon’ to release in July

YonhapNews / 2022-04-18 10:18:14

A286F97D-472E-432F-B243-664EE006AEB0.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by Lotte Entertainment, shows the poster of “Hansan: Rise of the Dragon." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, April 18 (Yonhap) -- “Hansan: Rise of the Dragon,” the follow-up of S. Korea’s box office success “The Admiral: Roaring Currents” (2014), is confirmed to hit theaters this summer.

The Yi Sun-sin sequel will be released in late July, according to movie distributor Lotte Entertainment, Monday.

“Hansan,” which is the second movie of director Kim Han-min’s Yi Sun-sin trilogy, depicts the Battle of Hansan Island, where Korean Admiral Yi destroyed Japanese ships with the “hakikjin” strategy.

Actor Park Hae-il will play commander Yi in “Hansan,” following Choi Min-sik in “The Admiral.”

Released in 2014, "The Admiral: Roaring Currents," garnered a total of 17.61 million admissions and ranked first for having the highest number of views in Korean movie history.

“Noryang,” the final entry of the Yi trilogy, also finished filming in June last year. (END)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/features.jsp?blbdComCd=601013&mode=FEATURES_VIEW&seq=562
Korean Films, Decision to Leave & Broker, Invited to the Competition at the 75th Cannes

by Hellen Park | Apr 15, 2022

Hunt, Global Star Lee Jungjae’s Directorial Debut, Invited to the Midnight Screenings at Cannes

9252FBBA-A10E-4F82-B640-E93D0E23C6C1.jpg

The 75th Cannes International Film Festival heralded a lively start in full swing by announcing its official invitations to the competition section. “The world cinema is starting to get back in shape, and this year marks a return to a quasi-normality.” At the official press conference of the Cannes International Film Festival held at the Champs-Elysees in Paris on April 14 (local time), Thierry Frémaux, the artistic director of the festival, announced the official invitations in a hopeful voice.

This year, Cannes clearly showed its affection for Korean films. Two directors representing Korea and Japan, who have been favored by Cannes, have been invited to the competition section with Korean films. Park Chanwook’s Decision to Leave and Kore-eda Hirokazu’s Broker are the main characters. It is the first time in five years that two Korean films have been invited to the competition section together since Bong Joonho’s Okja and Hong Sangsoo’s The Day After in 2017. Also, it is the first time in three years that Korean films have been invited to the competition section since PARASITE in 2019. In addition, Actor Lee Jungjae, who has firmly established himself as a global star with Squid Game, will be on the red carpet of the Midnight Screenings as a ‘director’ in Cannes this year.

With Decision to Leave, Director Park Chanwook Returns to Cannes in 6 Years

A758B064-6A43-433F-9A34-79846DF273F4.jpg

Even before the official announcement, Director Park Chanwook’s Decision to Leave was already mentioned by foreign media as a strong contender in the competition section. Director Park already has a deep connection with Cannes. He won the Grand Prize for Oldboy (2003), and the Jury Prize for Thirst (2009), and was nominated for the Grand Prize for The Handmaiden in 2016. Now, six years later, Director Park has made it to the competition section again. Including Decision to Leave, Director Park has been invited to Cannes four times, setting the tied record of most invited directors with Director Hong Sangsoo, who also has been invited to the festival four times.

Director Park Chanwook’s Decision to Leave is an authentic melodrama starring Korean actor Park Haeil and Chinese actor Wei Tang. There is a murder case in the mountain, and the detective (Park Haeil) investigating the case suspects the wife (Wei Tang) of the deceased as a prime suspect. However, the two characters gradually get caught up in uncontrollable emotions. Given that Director Park’s films have always been hot melodrama full of blood, this work is also expected to show a new level of melodrama. 

At the news of the official invitation to the Cannes competition, Director Park said, “It’s good spring news for everyone who participated in the film. It feels more special because the film festival is held in a situation where the Pandemic hasn't ended yet. I’ve had plenty of time to think about the meaning of watching a movie at a theater in groups. I’ll see as many films as possible at Cannes and will give a standing ovation to them longer than any other people there this time.” Wei Tang, the main character, also said, “I’m so happy and send congratulations to every staff member of the film. I hope the day will come soon when everyone returns to the theater and recovers their daily lives.” Park Haeil also conveyed the joy of the invitation, saying, “Since I’ve waited for the day to watch a movie in the theater with a lot of people, I’m so excited to meet the audience all over the world with the film.”

Spoiler

Director Kore-eda Hirokazu Goes to Cannes for Broker, the Korean Film, with Song Kangho of PARASITE

8CB10B1C-BD17-4A70-94CB-07297235ACB6.jpg

Director Kore-eda Hirokazu, who already won the Palme d’Or at Cannes for Shoplifters in 2018, has been invited to the Cannes competition section this year, which is very special. It’s because his new film, Broker, is a Korean film produced by ‘ZIP CINEMA’ a Korean film production company, and CJ ENM is in charge of the investment and distribution of the film. On top of that, superb actors such as Song Kangho of PARASITE, who won the Palme d’Or in 2019, Bae Doona, the director’s persona, Gang Dongwon, who heralds global activities, and Lee Jieun (IU), a K-pop star and actor appear in the film. Introducing the film, Thierry Frémaux, the artistic director of the festival, said, “Kore-eda Hirokazu, a Japanese master director who won the Palme d’Or, will return to the festival with Korean actor Song Kangho and an attractive Korean film Broker,” keeping his hopes high.

Director Kore-eda Hirokazu said, “I’m grateful that this work, which transcends language and cultural differences, was highly praised. With this work, I’ll be participating in the Cannes International Film Festival for the first time in four years, and I would like to use it as a good opportunity to think about the meaning of making and delivering movies to the world at a time of confusion.”

Song Kangho, who participated at Cannes as a judge, said, “It’s always exciting and fun to be at the Cannes International Film Festival.” Actor Bae Doona, who has already visited Cannes four times, happily said, “It’s a special movie for me just to work again with Director Kore-eda Hirokazu in 12 years after Air Doll.”

Hunt, Lee Jungjae’s Directorial Debut, Going to the Midnight Screenings with Actor Jung Woosung, the Director’s Old Buddy

864D2967-AB56-43D1-89FE-4844FE05897F.jpg

Actor Lee Jungjae, who has been nominated for Best Actor several times at Hollywood’s awards ceremonies through the worldwide success of Squid Game, will stand on the red carpet as a ‘director’ for the first time in his life. Hunt, Lee Jungjae’s directorial debut film, has been invited to the ‘Midnight Screenings,’ one of the Out of Competition sections at Cannes this year. At the news of the invitation from Cannes, Lee Jungjae said, “I think today’s result has come from the passion of the production team and the efforts of the actors who performed with all their might. Thank you for your interest and support. I look forward to a good response at the Cannes International Film Festival.”

Lee Jungjae’s directorial debut film, Hunt, is a spy thriller about two NIS agents doubting each other in the process of finding spies in the organization. Lee Jungjae directed, produced, adapted, and even starred in the film. Actor Jung Woosung stars in the film to play the opposite spy character who conflicts with Lee Jungjae’s character. Lee Jungjae and Jung Woosung, the old buddies and colleagues who have been top stars in the Korean cinema since the 1990s, reunited for Hunt 20 years after they co-starred in City of The Rising Sun, directed by Kim Sungsoo. The Midnight Screenings is an Out of Competition section that introduces genre films that combine the cinematic quality and the popularity, and Korean commercial films such as TRAIN TO BUSAN, etc. had opportunities to meet global audiences through the section.

In addition, a film we need to pay attention to has been invited. All the People I'll Never Be, directed by Davy Chou, a rising star in the Cambodian film industry, has been invited to the Un Certain Regard. Just like its French title ETOUR À SÉOUL, Korean actors Oh Kwangrok, Park Jimin, and Kim Sunyoung appear in the film set in Korea. The film also received KOFIC’s Location Incentive 2021.

Following PARASITE, Can Korean Films Win the Awards at Cannes This Year?

The Cannes International Film Festival has also suffered from the global COVID-19 Pandemic since 2020. The festival in 2020 had to be satisfied with the announcement of the selections without an event, and it gave up the traditional May event to avoid the Pandemic and held the ceremony in July 2021. The size of the event had to be reduced as well. However, this year in 2022, as Thierry Frémaux, the artistic director of the festival, declared, the festival will be held in May again and is expected to be crowded with movie-thirsty film industry officials from around the world. In addition, attention is being paid to whether the performance of Korean films led by Director Bong Joonho’s PARASITE in 2019 will continue at Cannes this year, which is preparing for getting back in shape after the Pandemic. At least, Director Park Chanwook, who has already won two titles in the Cannes competition, and Director Kore-eda Hirokazu, the winner of the Palme d’Or, are expected to win main awards in the competition section at Cannes this year.

With the opening film Z, directed by Michel Hazanavicius, the 75th Cannes International Film Festival will be held in Cannes, France, from May 17 to 25, 2022. 

2022 CANNES FILM FESTIVAL
COMPETITION LINEUP
<Armageddon Time> James Gray (U.S.)
<Boy From Heaven> Tarik Saleh (Sweden)
<Broker> Kore-eda Hirokazu (Korea)
<Brother and Sister> Arnaud Desplechin (France)
<Close> Lucas Dhont (Belgium)
<Crimes of the Future> David Cronenberg (Canada)
<Decision to Leave> Park Chan-Wook (Korea)
<Eo> Jerzy Skolimowski (Poland)
<Forever Young> Valeria Bruni Tedeschi (France)
<Holy Spider> Ali Abbasi (Iran)
<Leila’s Brothers> Saeed Roustaee (Iran)
<Nostalgia> Mario Martone (Italy)
<RMN> Cristian Mungiu (Romania)
<Showing Up> Kelly Reichardt (U.S.)
<Stars at Noon> Claire Denis (France)
<Tchaïkovski’s Wife> Kirill Serebrennikov (Russia)
<Tori and Lokita> Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne (Belgium)
<Triangle of Sadness> Ruben Östlund (Sweden)

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065594820114695
'Hansan'·'Alien'·'Emergency Declaration' to hit theaters one after another this summer

YonhapNews / 2022-04-19 15:33:56

SEOUL, April 19 (Yonhap) -- S. Korea has decided to lift COVID-19 social distancing measures after 2 years and this change is expected to revitalize the theaters.  Blockbusters that postponed their releases are starting to announce release schedules while films submitted to Cannes Film Festival are also to be screened in the cinemas.

Firstly, the “Hansan: Rise of the Dragon,” follow-up of S. Korea’s box office success “The Admiral: Roaring Currents” (2014), is confirmed to hit theaters in July, according to Lotte Entertainment. “Hansan,” the second movie of director Kim Han-min’s Yi Sun-sin trilogy, finished shooting in September 2020 and was preparing to hit cinemas last summer. However, the movie was delayed due to COVID-19.

The first film of the trilogy, "The Admiral: Roaring Currents," garnered a total of 17.61 million admissions and is still ranking first for having the highest number of views in Korean movie history. “Noryang,” the final entry of the Yi trilogy, also finished filming in June last year.

As “Hansan,” which is considered the most promising film since last year, noticed its release schedule, other tent-pole films will also be screened one after another. 

E4B94FF7-EC93-4799-8A1A-4C29981C4A4D.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by Lotte Entertainment, shows the poster of “Hansan: Rise of the Dragon." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Director Han Jae-rim’s disaster-action film “Emergency Declaration,” which was invited to Canne’s Film Festival last year, will be screened in July~August, according to Showbox.   “Emergency Declaration,” a film starring veteran actors and actresses, including Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon, and Im Si-wan, was set to be released last January but was delayed due to the COVID-19 situation. 

Spoiler

2BBA4BA2-10E1-44B5-9014-468A954350C6.jpg

▲ This photo, provided by Showbox, shows a scene from the movie "Emergency Declaration." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

CJ ENM will also reveal director Choi Dong-hoon’s new film “Alien.”   “Alien,” which was filmed over a year from March 2020 to April 2021, is a sci-fi action fantasy that depicts a time-slip story between swordsmen in the late Goryeo period and aliens living in the present, trying to find a mysterious sword.  The movie boasts a star-studded cast including Ryu Jun-yeol, Kim Woo-bin, Kim Tae-ri, Yeom Jung-ah, Jo Woo-jin, Lee Ha-nui, and Kim Eui-sung. The first part and the second half of the film were shot at the same time, but only the first installment will hit the theaters this summer.

Spoiler

C929F0C0-1EE0-4D81-B87B-38FC2FA9C37C.jpg

▲ This photo, provided by CJ ENM, shows movie "Alien." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Big Hollywood films will also come out this summer. Marvel’s superhero Thor’s fourth solo movie “Thor: Love and Thunder,” will be released in the coming July. Thor is the first Marvel hero to star in a fourth solo film.  The movie is once again directed by Taika Waititi, who created Thor’s biggest hit “Thor Ragnarok” (2017). Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman will return as Thor and Jane, while Christian Bale will appear for the first time.

Before the summer begins, films that entered the competition section of the 75th Cannes Film Festival, including “Decision to leave” by director Park Chan-wook and "Broker" by Japanese auteur Hirokazu Kore-eda, will hit the cinemas one after another in June.   Both films, which have the potential to win the awards, gained attention with their star cast including Tang Wei, Park Hae-il, Song Kang-ho, Bae Doo-na, Gang Dong-won, and Lee Ji-eun.

The directorial debut film “Hunt,” by the “Squid Game” star Lee Jung-jae, will first be revealed in Cannes Film Festival's out-of-competition "Midnight Screenings,” and arrive in the cinemas this summer.

In May, “The Outlaws 2” starring Ma Dong-seok, and Hollywood blockbusters “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” and “Top Gun: Maverick” will be available in theaters. 

“Since the social distancing rules are lifted, various films are preparing for their releases,” said an official from a film distribution company. (END)

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220420003800315
Homegrown blockbusters set to be shown on big screen in coming months

By Kim Boram (brk@yna.co.kr) | April 20, 2022

SEOUL, April 20 (Yonhap) -- A slew of homegrown films by star directors and actors are poised to hit theaters in coming months and expected to give a fresh boost to the pandemic-hit movie industry amid the nationwide move to return to normal.

Written and directed by Cannes-winning Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda, "Broker" will be released in early June. It is Kore-eda's first Korean-language project and one of the two Korean films to compete for the highest honor of the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival next month.  Starring Song Kang-ho of "Parasite," Gang Dong-won and Bae Doo-na, "Broker" features the relationships of characters formed through a baby box, where people anonymously drop off newborns that they can't raise.

Spoiler

267E6D1F-9145-48B3-96AC-9356D7488C15.jpg

▲ A poster of "Broker" by CJ ENM (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Another Cannes-invitee, "Decision to Leave," a film by Park Chan-wook, will be shown in late June.  It is about a detective who suspects a mysterious widow in a murder case and later becomes interested in her. Chinese actress Tang Wei of "Lust, Caution" (2007) and Korean actor Park Hae-il star in the film.

The historical war film "Hansan" directed by Kim Han-min will be coming in July.  It is the second film of Kim's trilogy about battles led by Admiral Yi Sun-shin during the Japanese invasions of Korea in late 16th century. The 2014 film "Roaring Currents," the most-viewed film in South Korea with a total of 17.6 million spectators, was the first of the series.  "Hansan" depicts the historical Battle of Hansan, which took place years before Battle of Myeongnyang Strait set in "Roaring Currents."

3BBAD769-030F-443E-B478-0ED64AF0FC64.jpg
▲ A poster of "Hansan" by Lotte Entertainment (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The action fantasy film "Alien," directed by hitmaker Choi Dong-hoon of "The Thieves" (2012) and "Assassination" (2015), will likely hit local screens this summer.  The film, which stars Kim Tae-ri, Kim Woo-bin and Ryu Jun-yeol, is about a time portal that connects the present Korea to the 14th century Goryeo, where sorcerers are competing for the magical sword.

The star-studded disaster film "Emergency Declaration," which was invited to the out of competition section of last year's Cannes Film Festival, is also one of the films to be released in summer.  Starring Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon, the film revolves around a veteran detective who tries to uncover a terrorist plot on an airplane and rescue his wife.  Its theatrical release had been slated for January but was put on hold indefinitely due to the recent surge in COVID-19 infections stemming from the omicron variant.

"The Witch: Part 2," the sequel to the 2018 film "The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion" by Park Hoon-jung, "Smuggle" by Ryoo Seung-wan of "Escape from Mogadishu," and "Hunt," a directorial debut of "Squid Game" star Lee Jung-jae, are among the big-name films set to compete in summer.

Spoiler

AC4EBDF9-2522-4CDB-B2AB-2C679A91CED5.jpg

▲ A poster of "Hunt" by Megabox Plus M (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Over the yearslong pandemic, the South Korean film industry has been struggling with a sharp drop in the number of moviegoers due to strict social distancing rules and lack of new releases.  An average 60 million people came to theaters in 2020 and 2021, tumbling from 226 million moviegoers tallied in 2019. (END)

https://variety.com/2022/film/asia/park-chan-wooks-cannes-competition-film-decision-to-leave-grabbed-by-mubi-1235243522/
Park Chan-wook’s Cannes Competition Film ‘Decision to Leave’ Grabbed by Mubi

By Patrick Frater | Apr 28, 2022 7:11am PT

C5F0F983-2A8E-4065-B5E6-780B151EFEE5.web
CJ Entertainment

“Decision to Leave,” the detective mystery by Korean director Park Chan-wook that will debut in competition in Cannes next month, is to be given theatrical releases in the U.S. and U.K. by streaming platform Mubi.

Mubi, which pitches itself as a global distributor, streaming service and production company, picked up multiple territory rights including North America, U.K., Ireland, Turkey, and India, in a deal with South Korea’s CJ Entertainment.

“The film will be released theatrically in the U.S. and the U.K. with fall 2022 release dates planned, followed by an exclusive Mubi streaming release,” Mubi said.

“Decision to Leave” was produced by Moho Film (“Sympathy for Lady Vengeance,” “Thirst,” “The Handmaiden” and “Snowpiercer”) and is presented by “Parasite” studio CJ ENM.

The film stars Park Hae-il (“The Host,” “Memories of Murder”) and China’s Tang Wei (“Lust, Caution,” “Blackhat”) in a tale about a detective who develops a personal interest in the woman who should be the chief suspect in his ongoing murder investigation.

One of the most influential directors to emerge from the Korean film powerhouse, Park was previously in Cannes with “Oldboy” in 2003, “Thirst” in 2009 and with “The Handmaiden” in 2016.

“Oldboy” was part of a loose ‘revenge trilogy’ that also included “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance” in 2002 and “Sympathy for Lady Vengeance” in 2005. Park made his Hollywood debut with Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska-starring “Stoker” in 2013 and also directed TV series “The Little Drummer Girl” in 2018.

Mubi, known for a closely-curated streaming offering, calls itself “the biggest community of film lovers,” in the world with more than 12 million members and availability in 190 countries.

As a producer, the company will see its co-production “One Fine Morning” from Denmark’s Mia Hansen-Løve premiere at Cannes in the Directors’ Fortnight section.

The CJ group of companies have been pioneers in the contemporary Korean film and television industries, getting their start in 2005 in an alliance with DreamWorks SKG. The CJ Entertainment film division has a filmography that includes Lee Chang-dong’s “Secret Sunshine,” “Bong Joon-ho’s “Snowpiercer” film, record breakers “Miss Granny,” “Ode to My Father” and “Roaring Currents” as well as Bong’s Oscar-winner “Parasite.”

The company has a second film in competition at Cannes this year, “Broker,” the first Korean-language feature by previous Palme d’Or-winner Kore-eda Hirokazu.

• Helena changed the title to Park Hae-Il 박해일 [Upcoming movies: “Decision to Leave”, “Hansan: Rise of the Dragon”]

[ cjenmmovie ] < Decision to Leave> ★ Confirmed to be released on June 29 ★
The 1st trailer will be out on May 11 (Wednesday) at 6pm.

https://zapzee.net/2022/05/06/park-chan-wooks-new-movie-decision-to-leave-unveils-intense-special-teaser-and-confirms-june-release/
Park Chan Wook’s New Movie ‘Decision to Leave’ Unveils Intense Special Teaser and Confirms June Release

by krishkim

The award-winning director Park Chan Wook is returning with Decision to Leave.

On the 6th, CJ ENM announced that the new movie Decision to Leave, Park Chan Wook’s 4th movie to be invited to the Cannes Film Festival, confirmed its release on June 29th. Along with the news, they released a special teaser that gives a glimpse into the charming characters and their relationship.

Decision to Leave is about a detective investigating an unnatural death case that took place on a mountain and the doubts and attraction he feels towards the deceased’s wife.

Starting with the movie Oldboy, which director Park Chan Wook won the Grand Prix at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival, he won the Prix du Jury with the vampire film Thirst in 2009 and premiered The Handmaiden in 2016. And with Decision to Leave, Park achieved the feat of getting invited to Cannes for the fourth time.

B279F944-1A5C-46E7-ADCC-BBA0EED08C20.web
Credit: CJ ENM

The special teaser shows the first look into Park Chan Wook’s first Korean movie in six years. Hae Joon (Park Hae Il) and the mysterious Seo Rae (Tang Wei) are standing in front of the ocean. The two, who first met as a detective and the deceased’s wife, gradually grow closer, forming a subtle tension between them.

The teaser ends by heralding the rush of emotions that Seo Rae and Hae Joon feel, heightening expectations for Park Chan Wook’s new mystery film.

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065590414599428
Park Chan-wook’s 'Decision to Leave' to be released on June 29

Yonhap News / 2022-05-06 14:20:54
(This article is translated from Korean to English by Kim Sun Min.)

24E8DFE5-CA09-4AA1-B95F-F50A296C6F45.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by CJ ENM, shows "Decision to Leave." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, May 6 (Yonhap) – S. Korean filmmaker Park Chan-wook’s new film “Decision to Leave,” which was selected for the competition section of the 75th Cannes Film Festival this year, will be released in Korea on June 29, according to the distribution company CJ ENM on Friday.

“Decision to Leave” depicts the story of a detective Hae-jun(Park Hae-il), who investigates the murder case in the mountains, developing an interest in the dead man’s mysterious wife Seo Rae(Tang Wei). It is Park’s first film in six years since the movie “The Handmaiden” was released, and it is also Park’s fourth Cannes competition title. (END)

https://www.screendaily.com/features/how-will-covid-caution-affect-turnout-of-asian-industry-in-cannes/5170179.article
How will Covid caution affect turnout of Asian industry in Cannes?

BY JEAN NOH, SILVIA WONG, MICHAEL ROSSER || 6 MAY 2022

As the international film industry prepares to return to Cannes, many still question the extent to which Asia will be represented on the Croisette.

AC20EC33-CD14-4ADD-ABA9-0C7453300539.jpg
SOURCE: MUBI
PARK CHAN-WOOK’S ‘DECISION TO LEAVE’ WILL PLAY IN COMPETITION AT CANNES

“Asia isn’t back to travel,” said Cannes’ general delegate Thierry Frémaux last month, acknowledging the travel restrictions that remained in countries across Asia, following Covid spikes in Japan, Hong Kong and elsewhere.

The prevailing attitude toward the virus from many across the continent is highly cautious. For example, at South Korea’s Jeonju International Film Festival this month, Screen did not see a single person without a mask in screenings, at outdoor events and from the public at large on any given street.

Meanwhile, Japanese actor-director Takeshi Kitano was pulled out of a long-planned trip to the Far East Film Festival in Italy’s Udine, citing Covid concerns among other factors.

Nevertheless, Asia will be back in Cannes, albeit in smaller numbers.

The Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP) will continue its partnership with Singapore’s Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA), sharing a pavilion in the Riviera’s International Village. FDCP will bring a delegation of more than 50 filmmakers and government partners to Cannes, while companies from Singapore include Encore Films, M’Go Films and the Singapore International Film Festival.

The new Mongolian National Film Council (MNFC) will make its market debut in the Palais des Festivals, with a delegation of Mongolian filmmakers, distributors and government officials led by MNFC’s new head Undral Choimpog and Mongolian minister of culture Nomin Chinbat.

Also present will be Thailand’s Department of International Trade Promotion (DITP), the National Film Development Corporation Malaysia (FINAS) and Taiwan Creative Content Agency (TAICCA). The physical Taiwan pavilion will present 91 titles from 39 companies, a 40% increase from 2021.

However, the Hong Kong pavilion will only be accessible online for the second consecutive year, a reflection of the travel restrictions and quarantine measures which have recently been relaxed but remain in place to some extent.

Albert Lee, executive director of Hong Kong International Film Festival, is one who will not be making the trip. “Travelling overseas continues to be haphazard for us in Hong Kong, with returning flights and quarantine hotels at a premium,” says Lee. “But some of my colleagues from programming and the industry office will be in Cannes for the first time in three years with the HAF Goes To Cannes programme.”

Mandy Lam, general manager of sales and acquisitions at Hong Kong-based studio Edko Films, will also be attending, “having not been to a physical film festival for over two years because of the ever-changing quarantine measures”.

With some relaxation of regulations happening, “we believe it is a good time for us to be back to the physical film market,” she adds. “Coming back to the physical market, we hope to strengthen our relationship with sales companies.”

But not all are convinced. June Wu, head of international sales at Taiwan’s Distribution Workshop, told Screen: “I won’t be going to Cannes this year, as there are not many new titles from us to justify my trip. We have titles in post-production from both China and Taiwan, but due to the surge of Covid daily cases, many mainland Chinese cinemas are facing temporary closures. The status for these titles is pending, with no specific release schedules.

“Even though I haven’t physically attended any markets in the last two years, we managed to sell to different regions pretty well and the deals went smoothly so online meetings will be sufficient.”

Wu adds that Taiwan still requires 10 days of quarantine and seven days of self-health checks when entering the country, which would impact her work locally.

From India, which has been chosen as the country of honour at this year’s Marché, the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) will be in attendance with the minister for information and broadcasting, Anurag Thakur.

Organisations and distributors set to attend from India include the National Films Development Corporation (NFDC), Shemaroo Contentino, Star Entertainment, Impact Films and Pictureworks. However, one source said: “While the Indian film industry is participating in full swing this year, there are complaints that many of the country’s sales agents won’t be coming to Cannes so they’re unable to organise meetings.”

Japan and Korea

From elsewhere in Asia, UniJapan will be opening a pavilion and booth in Cannes, while Japan’s Gaga Corporation chairman Tom Yoda will be attending with a team to hold meetings with buyers and sellers. But there will also be remote activity.

“Our sales executive in charge of Asian territories is attending online only as many buyers are doing online only, and time difference-wise, it is better for her to stay back in Japan,” says Haruko Watanabe, head of international sales at Gaga Corporation. “Of course, our acquisition team will be there [in Cannes] to meet the international sellers. We are one step closer to the pre-Covid time.”

Korea’s CJ ENM, on the other hand, will be out in force. The major investor-distributor has two films vying for the Palme d’Or in Competition: Park Chan-wook’s Decision To Leave and Hirokazu Kore-eda’s Broker.

“We heard that on the Asian side [many buyers are opting to stay home],” says Park Jungmin, CJ ENM’s head of international sales and distribution. “Quarantine standards are different from country to country on return. But we have two films in Competition so of course we all have to go and need to meet with buyers from Europe, the Americas and the Middle East.”

Also with films at the festival are Korea’s Megabox, which has espionage thriller Hunt, the directorial debut of Squid Game star Lee Jung-jae, which will play in Midnight Screenings; and Finecut, which will be selling July Jung’s Next Sohee, set to open Critics’ Week. Both firms will have teams on the ground.

With such a strong presence in Official Selection, the Korean Film Council (KOFIC) will be holding a Korean Film Night to celebrate and provide networking opportunities.

Companies such as K-Movie Entertainment, Contents Panda and Lotte Entertainment will also be attending with new films on their slates.

“We want to show everyone that Contents Panda is still alive and kicking,” says Danny Lee, executive vice president at Contents Panda of being present in-person on the Croisette. “We’re eagerly looking forward to Cannes with our line-up.”

Representatives from the Busan, Bifan and Jeonju film festivals are attending as well, acknowledging the need to get out and network for their festivals.

Conversely, companies such as M-Line Distribution and Showbox have opted not to attend, citing the fact that they do not have a significant number of new films on their slates; low participation rates from their buyers; and concerns over health safety and care standards that are noticeably more lax than at home.

“Asian buyers’ participation is going to be too low and we’d just be doing online meetings from Cannes,” says Rachel Joo, head of sales at M-Line Distribution. “European buyers are important, too, but we’d still have to coordinate time zones.

“We still don’t know how the situation with Covid-19 will pan out. The procedures for returning to Korea are a consideration, as is the uncertainty of what would happen if we got sick in Cannes.”

Looking beyond Cannes, the buyers and sellers not travelling from Asia to the south of France this month point to Busan and Tokyo as festivals and markets they are anticipating attending physically. There, they acknowledge that people are more conscientious about wearing masks and sanitising whether government-mandated or not.

Travel times are also shorter as a journey to Cannes requires at least 20 hours travel with two flights, the avoidance of Russian airspace adding even more to the time spent in planes. It all adds up to the fact that it will be some time before numbers from Asia return to pre-pandemic levels.

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/films/heojil-kyolshim

IN COMPETITION - FEATURE FILMS
HEOJIL KYOLSHIM
(DECISION TO LEAVE)
Directed by : PARK Chan-Wook
Year of production : 2022 | Country : SOUTH KOREA | Length : 138 minutes

SYNOPSIS

A man falls from a mountain peak to his death.
The detective in charge, Hae-joon (PARK Hae-il),
comes to meet the dead man's wife Seo-rae (TANG Wei).

"I worry when he does not come back from a mountain,
thinking he might die at last."

Seo-rae does not show any signs of agitation at her husband's death.
With her behavior so unlike that of a grieving relative, the police consider her a suspect.
Hae-joon interrogates Seo-rae,
and while observing her on stakeout,
feels himself slowly developing an interest in her.

Meanwhile the difficult-to-read Seo-rae, 
despite being suspected of a crime,
acts boldly towards Hae-joon.

A suspect who is hiding her true feelings.
A detective who suspects and desires his suspect.
Their Decision to Leave.

VIDEOS

Uploaded by https://www.youtube.com/c/theupcomingmagazine/

Spoiler

FBCF848A-DF96-45C4-80C1-D7393B351ED2.web
© 2022 CJ ENM Co., Ltd., MOHO FILM. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED / DECISION TO LEAVE

CREDITS

PARK Chan-Wook - Director
PARK Chan-Wook - Script / Dialogue
CHUNG Seo-Kyung - Script / Dialogue
KIM Ji-Yong - Cinematography
RYU Seong-Hie - Set decorator
CHO Young-Wuk - Music
KIM Suk-Won - Sound
KIM Sang-Bum - Film Editor

CASTING
PARK Hae-Il - Chang Hae-joon 
TANG Wei - Song Seo-rae

PHOTOS

Spoiler

51D230AA-2074-4F2F-BC03-FD465BF45378.web

3CF12918-5309-4292-98AD-FB7F255F5D47.web

DB1C7318-7E5F-4023-9986-D55F6AA860A6.web

834D6F18-967E-4827-A3FD-D648C48A6DD4.web

9984E88D-5FD0-48CC-926D-BDE6B2C90E33.web

9190E958-3558-4662-849D-9CA045F7D09E.web

DECISION TO LEAVE © 2022 CJ ENM Co., Ltd., MOHO FILM. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

CONTACTS

Spoiler

Production
MOHO FILM - 2807, Office Bldg, Kintex-ro 240, Ilsanseo-gu 10391 GOYANG SOUTH KOREA - T: 82 2 3675 4430 - moho@moho.co.kr 

Distribution
BAC FILMS - T: 33 (0)1 80 49 10 00 - www.bacfilms.com 
- contact@bacfilms.fr

French press
LE PUBLIC SYSTÈME CINÉMA - T: 33 (0)1 41 34 20 33 - www.lepublicsystemecinema.fr 
Alexis DELAGE-TORIEL - adelagetoriel@lepublicsystemecinema.fr

International press
LE PUBLIC SYSTÈME CINÉMA - T: 33 (0)1 41 34 20 33 - www.lepublicsystemecinema.fr 
Alexis DELAGE-TORIEL - adelagetoriel@lepublicsystemecinema.fr

International sales
CJ ENM - T: 82 1 062 674 805 - http://www.cjenm.com 
- juhee.yi@cj.net

On 5/9/2022 at 2:29 PM, Helena said:

IN COMPETITION - FEATURE FILMS
HEOJIL KYOLSHIM
(DECISION TO LEAVE)
Directed by : PARK Chan-Wook
Year of production : 2022 | Country : SOUTH KOREA | Length : 138 minutes

ENGLISH PRESS KIT
https://cdn-media.festival-cannes.com/film_film/0002/75/19467cc6015c6b4875f2f59b9db8753c4ec48fb7.pdf

A0A8BB15-E3C0-41E7-813A-52F704FF530A.png

Spoiler

ADF86E45-A0E6-4994-ADD2-04B40A79A498.png
8523F61B-CD69-4F87-B9C8-BBA2419C0657.png
1B2C9211-B3A5-4487-A3D5-00BC9F26C09B.png
2EFB2CE9-BD9D-4A30-8EAC-501223F2A480.png
98089872-5C09-44F9-B8A2-BB55BB0BEE78.png
066CEBE1-D3D0-4743-B297-071F5E74D1AF.png
BADA526D-B311-4A41-AA3B-242109E48000.png
62FBC7F1-72D3-4F4D-BE99-A1B76528D5A6.png
93B06565-44DF-445F-B84F-FD85D2CDC235.png
0DE3C796-000F-491A-8C63-389058396A38.png
E5003F8A-B2B7-49AC-9B6A-BC892E0A5FF6.png
EB25D59E-5213-49A2-AFDB-93AD4CC43EFF.png

Page 9 of 13

CHARACTER & CAST

Hae-joon | a polite and clean detective “

It’s not that I can’t sleep because of stakeout,
I do stakeout because I can’t sleep. ”

The always proud and faithful detective Hae-joon is so capable that he becomes the youngest officer ever to rise to the position of Inspector. He always dresses neatly, cares about cleanliness, and has a polite, kind personality, but above all, he is a person who sincerely devotes himself to catching criminals. He records all details at the scene of a crime on his smartwatch, and routinely performs late-night duty because of his insomnia. It’s to this person that Seo-rae, who reacts so placidly to her husband’s death, approaches so boldly with strong curiosity.

PARK Hae-il
PARK Hae-il is an actor who has shown tremendous range in the course of his career, appearing in period films, action movies, dramas and more. Famous for his roles in MEMORIES OF MURDER, THE HOST and THE FORTRESS, in DECISION TO LEAVE he plays a police detective for the first time. As the clean and polite detective Hae-joon, PARK Hae-il depicts a character who departs significantly from the familiar conventions of the police procedural genre. Expressing both the suspicion of a police detective and the attraction of a human being, Hae-joon’s subtle inner changes are expressed masterfully by PARK Hae-il. Director PARK says, “Hae-joon is an exceptionally refined, neat, and kind person. No other actor came to mind for this role, so in that sense the script was almost custom tailored to PARK Hae-il.”

“While pulling the drama forward with Seo-rae, I thought to myself about how to construct in detail the smallest gestures up to the biggest emotions. That was my biggest challenge as an actor,” says PARK Hae-il, who perfectly expressed Hae-joon’s delicate yet simple charm, as well as the complex emotions that grew ever more confused within him as time passed.

Filmography
The King’s Letters (2019), Ode to the Goose (2018), High Society (2018), The Fortress (2017), The Last Princess (2016), Love and... (2015), My Dictator (2014), The Whistle Blower (2014), Gyeong-ju (2014), Boomerang Family (2013), A Muse (2012), War of the Arrows (2011), End of Animal (2011), Heartbeat (2011), Moss (2010), A Million (2009), Modern Boy (2008), Paradise Murdered (2007), The Host (2006), Boy Who Went to Heaven (2005), Rules of Dating (2005), My Mother, the Mermaid (2004), Memories of Murder (2003), Jealousy is My Middle Name (2003), Scent of Love (2003)

Page 7 of 13

INTERVIEW WITH DIRECTOR PARK CHAN-WOOK

Q. What was the process of developing DECISION TO LEAVE?

It started from a conversation in London with screenwriter CHUNG Seo-kyung, who I’ve collaborated with on many films. Before that, there were two bits of source material in my mind. The first is a Korean song ‘The Mist’ composed by LEE Bong- jo, which I have loved since I was young, and which I only knew as a recording by Ms. CHUNG Hoon-hee. But later I found out that Twin Folio had also recorded that song, and after listening to it, I fell in love with it. And I thought to myself, how about making a film with the voice of CHUNG Hoon-hee, as well as another version of the song with the voice of SONG Chang-sik? Naturally, I thought that it should be a romance film set in a misty town. Second, I wanted to make a film featuring a detective character with a personality that I like, similar to my favorite police character Martin BECK from the Swedish detective novel series. I wanted to see a detective who was gentle, quiet, clean, polite and kind. The two stories merged into one through a conversation with screenwriter CHUNG Seo-kyung, and gradually took shape.

Q. What is the meaning of the title DECISION TO LEAVE?

When they say, “I don’t think things will work out between us,” they decide to break up. But when they express their intention in this resolute way, from an outside perspective it doesn’t feel very convincing. They may want and agree to separate, but given that deep inside their hearts they don’t really want to part, it’s a title that suggests they won’t be able to leave each other.

Q. As you were directing this film, what were the new elements you considered?

If my previous films were intense, made with the goal of providing a very stimulating experience, DECISION TO LEAVE is a film that subtly and imperceptibly pulls the audience in and captures their interest. So there’s not much violence, nudity or sexual content. However, I wanted to depict these complicated emotions that any human, and any adult, can empathize with.

Q. What were the reasons behind the casting of TANG Wei and PARK Hae-il?

CHUNG Seo-kyung said it would be good if the female lead was Chinese, so that we might be able to cast TANG Wei. Sure enough, I’ve wanted to work with her ever since watching LUST, CAUTION, and more than anything, we thought she would be convincing as the character that CHUNG Seo-kyung and I wanted to create. And I thought that TANG Wei and PARK Hae-il would make for a fascinating combination.

I’ve known PARK Hae-il for so long that it seemed as if I must have shot one or two films with him. But I realized one day that I had never made a film with him. In the film, Hae-joon is exceptionally gentle, neat and polite and has eccentric humor. No other actor but PARK Hae-il came to mind for that character. In that sense the script was almost custom tailored to him, and although the “Hae” in “Hae-joon” represents the sea, it also brings to mind PARK Hae-il.

Q. What kind of people are Seo-rae and Hae-joon to each other?

To Seo-rae, who has always thought of herself as being unhappy, Hae-joon is like a precious gift. She must have been taken with surprise to think, “Someone like him really does care for me.” For Hae-joon, Seo-rae is like the waves on the sea. Sometimes she is calm, sometimes violent, sometimes overwhelming. Sometimes she wraps you in her embrace, but it’s always changeable.

Q. What do you hope viewers will take away from DECISION TO LEAVE?

DECISION TO LEAVE is a story for adults. It’s a love story, and also a detective drama. But what I really want to emphasize is that it’s a story about loss, that any adults will be able to relate to. Rather than treat it as a solid tragedy, I tried to express it with subtlety, elegance and humor.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/05/12/entertainment/movies/Broker-Decision-to-Leave-Cannes/20220512151004209.html
Cannes premiere dates for two Korean films unveiled

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr] | May 12, 2022

76D8BF4C-A33A-4428-86C3-A17A7F3F839C.jpg

Poster for ″Decision to Leave,″ left, and ″Broker″ [CJ ENM]

Schedules for the world premieres of two Korean films invited to this year’s Cannes Film Festival were revealed Thursday.

According to CJ ENM, which oversees distribution of both films, Park Chan-wook’s “Decision to Leave” will have its world premiere at Cannes at 6 p.m. on May 23. The filmmaker and lead actors Park Hae-il and Tang Wei will head to Cannes for the red carpet premiere and the global press event on May 24. 

The film centers around a police detective who finds himself attracted to a mysterious widow after she becomes the prime suspect in his latest murder investigation.

“Broker,” a Korean-language film directed by Japanese filmmaker Hirokazu Kore-eda, will premiere at 7 p.m. on May 26. Kore-eda and lead actors Song Kang-ho, Gang Dong-won, Lee Ji-eun and Lee Joo-young will participate in the press event on May 27.

“Broker” follows a group of people who embark on a journey to find a new family for a baby who was found in a baby box, where babies can be anonymously dropped off to be cared for by others. 

The 75th edition of Cannes will run from May 17 to 28.

https://thefilmstage.com/our-20-most-anticipated-2022-cannes-film-festival-premieres/
Our 20 Most-Anticipated 2022 Cannes Film Festival Premieres

59B4B127-DAC8-4A02-951C-1D40C74D4B47.jpg

At long last, Cannes returns to its proper May slot. With the event kicking off next week, running from the 17th through the 28th, much cinematic greatness awaits.

Ahead of the festivities we’ve rounded up what we’re most looking forward to—and while we’re sure many surprises await, per every year, one will find twenty films that should already be on your radar. Check out our picks below and be sure to subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest updates from the festival.

8. Broker (Hirokazu Kore-eda)

Spoiler

E8F1130C-56CD-4BDF-A20E-F730BDF9CF56.jpg

One of the major titles of the 2022 lineup is from Hirokazu Koreeda, who last visited the festival with Shoplifters and took home the Palme d’Or. Broker, which is his first South Korean project features the all-star cast of Song Kang-ho (Parasite), Bae Doona (Cloud Atlas, The Host), Kang Dong-won (Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula), and the popular artist IU aka Lee Ji-eun. Shot by cinematographer Hong Kyung-pyo (Parasite, Burning) the film centers on baby boxes, in which parents who aren’t able to provide for their babies anonymously give them. – Jordan R.

3. Decision to Leave (Park Chan-wook)

D6A77EC6-0BEE-40AD-8217-C09B095202E9.jpg
Marking Park Chan-wook’s first feature since 2016’s The Handmaiden, anticipation is sky high for his melodrama mystery Decision to Leave. Led by Tang Wei (Lust, Caution, Blackhat) and Park Hae-il (The Host, Memories of Murder), it follows a detective investigating a man’s death who begins to develop feelings for the widow. With cinematography from Ji-yong Kim (The Age of Shadows, A Bittersweet Life), we expect a stylish, twist-filled adventure. – Jordan R.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220513005100315
'Decision to Leave,' 'Broker' eye prize at Cannes

By Kim Boram (brk@yna.co.kr) | May 13, 2022

SEOUL, May 13 (Yonhap) -- At this year's Cannes Film Festival set to kick off next week, two Korean films -- "Decision to Leave" by renowned director Park Chan-wook and "Broker" by award-winning Japanese auteur Hirokazu Kore-eda -- will compete for the top honor of Palme d'Or.

It is the first time in five years that two Korean titles have been invited to the official competition section since 2017, when Bong Joon-ho's "Okja" and Hong Sang-soo's "The Day After" made the list.

Hopes are high that at least one of the two Korean contenders will be awarded at the world's most prestigious film festival, following Bong's black comedy "Parasite," which clinched the Palme d'Or in the 2019 edition.

5129EA33-E6BE-4EAA-A134-41E2B58F348F.jpg
This image provided by the 75th Cannes Film Festival shows a scene from "Decision to Leave." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The mystery romance "Decision to Leave" is director Park's first feature in six years after the psychological thriller "The Handmaiden" (2016), which was also invited to Cannes' competition.

The new film is about a detective who suspects a mysterious widow in a murder case and later becomes interested in her. Chinese actress Tang Wei of "Lust, Caution" (2007) and Korean actor Park Hae-il star in the film.

His return to Cannes has become the talk of the town as two of his three Cannes-contending features won a trophy at the festival. "Oldboy" (2003) took the second-highest honor of Grand Prix and "Thirst" (2009) received the Jury Prize.

"The Handmaiden" missed an official prize but got an independent but Cannes-approved award of the Vulcan Award that gives recognition to films from the official selection of Cannes with outstanding technical achievements, like production design and cinematography.

"Many say that it is time for the director to get the top prize," film critic Yoon Sung-eun said. "Cannes tends to recognize films based on realism and social criticism, but Park's films are acclaimed for his own artistic styles and mise-en-scene."

360EAA51-4100-4BE2-8DEC-BDCF08C2B347.jpg
This image provided by the 75th Cannes Film Festival shows a scene from "Broker." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

"Broker" is written and directed by Japanese director Kore-eda but produced, invested and distributed by Korean companies, including CJ ENM. It stars Korean actors, including Song Kang-ho of "Parasite."

It is the Cannes-winning director's first Korean-language project about adoption, featuring the relationships of characters formed through a baby box, where people anonymously drop off newborns that they can't raise.

It also marked Kore-eda's eighth entry to Cannes, including "Shoplifters" (2018), the winner of the Palme d'Or that year.

The film critic said "Broker" will come into the spotlight not only for the global reputation of its director but also for the veteran actor Song, who is expected to hit Cannes' red carpet for the seventh time this year.

He starred in many Cannes-winning projects, including "Thirst" and "Parasite," and served as a jury member at last year's Cannes.

"Song is one of the most beloved actors by renowned filmmakers. Many people said he deserves to win an acting award at Cannes," she said. "But the important thing is his role in the film and how much he leads the story. The preference of jury members also matters."

This year's Cannes film festival will kick off next Tuesday and run through May 28. 
(END)

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2022/05/689_329213.html
'Broker,' 'Decision to Leave' to kick off summer blockbuster season

By Kwak Yeon-soo | 2022-05-16

EE95140E-EED2-4DAE-999A-C39241CB227F.jpg
Posters for the films "Decision to Leave," left, and "Broker" / Courtesy of CJ ENM

With "Broker," "Decision to Leave" and "The Witch: Part 2. The Other One" all due out soon, movies are back in full force this summer. Film studios have been storing up some of their biggest movies over the past two pandemic-plagued years due to concerns over the lagging box office business.

However, movies have been trending upward since late April when theaters were allowed to sell popcorn again, as part of the easing social distancing measures. Marvel's "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness," which opened on May 4, has already earned 52.4 billion won ($40 million) at the box office, selling nearly 5 million tickets as of Monday.

"The Roundup," which is about to open on Wednesday, is expected to be a box office hit as it has already sold more than 110,000 tickets, with two days still to go before its release. 

A mix of franchise films and high-concept movies are expected to hit theaters this summer.

Directed by Japanese auteur Hirokazu Kore-eda, "Broker" will be released on June 8. The film, which centers on baby boxes that are left out for people to drop off their unwanted babies anonymously, will compete for the highest honor of the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival. 

Another Cannes invitee, "Decision to Leave" directed by Park Chan-wook, will premiere on June 29. It is about a detective drawn to a mysterious widow during a murder investigation in the mountainous countryside.

"The Witch: Part 2. The Other One," a sequel to "The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion," will also be released in local theaters on June 15. It tells the story of a lone survivor who escapes from a secret lab that conducted various experiments on her.

Spoiler

90FA6847-2D9E-4B62-BB6C-AD13C296C1CF.jpg

A poster for the film "Alienoid" / Courtesy of CJ ENM

In July, the action fantasy film "Alienoid," directed by Choi Dong-hoon of "The Thieves" and "Assassination," will hit theaters. The time-slip movie depicts swordsmen during the 918-1392 Goryeo era and aliens living in the present attempting to find a mysterious sword. The two-part blockbuster was shot simultaneously with a star-studded cast, including Ryu Jun-yeol, Kim Woo-bin, Kim Tae-ri, So Ji-sub, Lee Ha-nee, Yum Jung-ah and Jo Woo-jin.

Naval epic film "Hansan: Rise of the Dragon," directed by Kim Han-min, the masterful mind behind "War of the Arrows" (2011) and "Roaring Currents" (2014), is expected to drop in late July. The film, with a production budget of 30 billion won, centers on the legendary historical figure Admiral Yi Sun-sin.

Spoiler

BD8C92CC-08B5-436F-869E-4CAF425F6BC1.jpg

A scene from the film "Hunt" / Courtesy of Megabox Plus M

In August, aviation disaster film "Emergency Declaration" and espionage thriller "Hunt" are likely to draw the most moviegoers. "Emergency Declaration," which premiered at Cannes last year and stars Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun, centers on a commercial airliner that must make an emergency landing following an unexpected disaster. 

"Hunt" marks the directorial debut for "Squid Game" actor Lee Jung-jae, who also stars alongside Jung Woo-sung as two agents who are tasked with uncovering a North Korean spy within the Korean Central Intelligence Agency.

[cr: https://twitter.com/cjenmmovie/] ‘Decision to Leave’ Character poster

13B8A57E-4A4E-4876-9D74-288EBE8867C8.jpg

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065576578847066
Two Korean films to compete for Palme d’Or at Cannes

YonhapNews / 2022-05-17
(This article is translated from Korean to English by Kim Sun Min.)

39691EBC-26F2-4984-A0E2-7CABDC39FBE2.jpg
▲ This file photo shows the Grand Auditorium Louis Lumière in Cannes when "Okja" was screened in 2017. (Yonhap)

SEOUL, May 17 (Yonhap) – This year's 75th Cannes International Film Festival will kick off its journey of 12 days at the Grand Auditorium Louis Lumière in Cannes, the southeastern French resort city, on May 17 at 7 p.m (local time).

The Cannes Film Festival, which is most prestigious among the world's three major film festivals, was canceled and postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and is scheduled to be held as planned in three years.

The opening film is the zombie comedy film "Final Cut,” directed by Michel Hazanavicius, who won five categories at the U.S. Academy Awards for "The Artist,” which was released in 2012.

In the official competition section, 21 films, including the Korean films "Decision to Leave" and "Broker," will compete for the Palme d’Or, the highest prize awarded at the Cannes Film Festival. It is the first time in five years that two Korean titles have been invited to the official competition section at the same time since 2017, when "Okja" (Bong Joon-ho) and "The Day After" (Hong Sang-soo) made the list.

B1321567-9957-4028-B759-170F0E8FCE23.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by CJ ENM, shows "Decision to Leave." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

“Decision to Leave,” directed by Park Chan-wook, depicts the story of a detective Hae-jun, who investigates the murder case in the mountains, developing an interest in the dead man’s mysterious wife Seo Rae. The film stars Park Hae-il and Tang Wei. Director Park, who won the second-highest honor of Grand Prix for "Oldboy" (2004) and took the Jury Prize for "Thirst" (2009), entered the fourth competition section in six years since the psychological thriller "The Handmaiden" in 2016.

“Broker” is written and directed by Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda, who won the Palme d'Or for "Shoplifters" in 2018. Although it was directed by a Japanese director, it is a Korean film starring Song Kang-ho, Gang Dong-won, Bae Doo-na, Lee Ji-eun (IU), and Lee Joo-young and it is produced by Zip Cinema.  
Director Kore-eda wrote the script under the theme of baby box, which has become a social problem in both Korea and Japan. Song Kang-ho is expected to hit Cannes’ red carpet for the seventh time this year, following last year when he served as a jury member.

"Decision to Leave" and "Broker" will have their world premiere at the Grand Auditorium Louis Lumière in Cannes on May 23 and 26, respectively. French actor Vincent Lindon of “Titane,” which won the Palme d'Or last year, has been named president of the jury. 

Spoiler

B58C60B9-77E2-4931-BE19-F0AAC5893F96.jpg

▲ This photo, provided by CJ ENM, shows "Broker." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

In addition to "Broker," various Palme d'Or-winning films, such as Dardenne brothers’ "Tori and Lokita," Cristian Mungiu’s "R.M.N," and Ruben Östlund’s "Triangle of Sadness,” have entered the competition section. James Gray of “Armageddon Time” and David Cronenberg of “Crimes of the Future” will compete for their first Palme d'Or.

S. Korean spy action film “Hunt,” directed by Lee Jung-jae in his feature directorial debut, will be invited to the non-competitive Midnight Screening section, which will screen genre films late at night, marking the first audience on May 20 at midnight. Lee Jung-jae and Jung Woo-sung worked together for the first time in more than 20 years since the film "City of the Rising Sun" (1999). They played the ace agents of National Security Agency who hunt for a North Korean spy chief in South. 

“Next Sohee,” directed by filmmaker July Jung, starring Bae Doo-na has been selected as a closing film for the 75th Cannes Film Festival’s parallel sidebar Critics’ Week. It is the new film of director Jung, who was invited to the Remarkable Eyes section of the 67th Cannes Film Festival for “A Girl at My Next Door” in 2014. Bae Doo-na has been invited to Cannes with two films, including “Broker,” where she also played the detective. Meanwhile, S. Korean journalist and Busan Festival’s topper Huh Monn-yung has been appointed as a jury for this year’s Critics’ Week.

Director Moon Soo-jin’s short animation “Keratin” has been invited to the competition section. Besides, the film “ALL THE PEOPLE I’LL NEVER BE,” directed by French filmmaker, starring Kim Sun-young and Oh Kwang-rok has entered the “Un Certain Regard” section of the Cannes Film Festival. (END)

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065589991753794
Three movies shot in Busan gains attention in Cannes

YonhapNews / 2022-05-17

SEOUL, May 17 (Yonhap) -- The three films that were shot in Busan have been officially invited to the 75th Cannes Film Festival, which begins on the 17th, drawing the attention of the public.

According to the Busan Film Commission on the 16th, the three films invited to the Cannes, "Broker (Hirozaku Kore-eda)," "Decision to Leave (Park Chan-wook)," and "Hunt (Lee Jung-Jae)" were all shot in Busan.  "Broker" and "Decision to Leave" especially drew more attention as they entered the competition section of the Cannes Film Festival.

The movie "Broker," directed by the world-famous master Hirozaku Kore-eda, was filmed at 13 locations in Busan, including Yeonsan-dong, Jeonpo-dong, and Dadaepo Beach, for about two months last year.  This film, which was entirely filmed in Korea, first began in Busan.  "From the hunting stage, the production team wanted to shoot all the scenes in Busan," said Son Il-sung from the video project team of the Busan Film Comission, who was in charge of the location.

Director Park Chan-wook's fourth film, "Decision to Leave" was filmed in 23 locations in Busan from 2020 to early 2021.  Along with Busan Cinema Complex, the movie was shot in Geumjeongsan Mountain, Korea Maritime & Ocean University (KMOU), Busan and the Gijang District's ceramics village . Among the 16 districts and counties in Busan, it was shot in 14 of them. 

"Hunt," the first movie directed by the actor Lee Jung-jae, who has been invited to the "Midnight Screening," had the longest time filming in Busan last year.  This movie was filmed at 17 locations including Busan Cinema Complex, Busanjin Station, and the former Busan University of Foreign Studies for about 6 months.

"As the films filmed in Busan have entered the Cannes Film Festival, Busan have been attracting attention," Kim In-su, chairman of the Busan Film Commission, said. "I'm very happy that a lot of people from abroad fot to know the charm of Busan."

The 75th Cannes Film Festival begins on the 17th and runs until the 28th. This is the first time in five years since two Korean films have been invited to the competition section at the same time. (END)

https://www.screendaily.com/news/cannes-2022-screens-dailies/5170637.article
Screen International’s daily magazines from the 2022 Cannes Film Festival, which runs May 17-28. 
Cannes 2022: Screen’s dailies: Day 1
82B99D82-2F23-4BAC-A055-3ACE18F8B3FB.jpg

Cannes 2022: Screen’s dailies: Day 2

3E265646-7485-427E-9630-A16C57B4DAD7.jpg

Spoiler

page 24

9411EF1F-E661-4303-A4F0-0252F2327140.jpg