[drama 2008] White Lies 하얀 거짓말

Guest huangsy

@gerryg: Imagine the following cartoon drawing: A group of people, parched and dry, crawling across the sands of a hot desert, dying of thirst for some water. B)

The people are all of us, non-Korean speakers, who are watching this drama without subs.

And, thanks to canyayasis & nysophia_x_ii, who has just given us water, WE ARE SAVED!!! :wacko::w00t:

:lol::lol::lol:

So true, so true but here's the damnest thing....

We keep crawling! :lol: LMAO

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *alodia*

Can I join you in your crawling? :lol:

I'm downloading episode 1 at the moment (thank god it's on aja-aja).

I just found out about this drama yesterday from a friend.

Shin Eun Kyung is one of my favorite actresses. Too bad she's getting looong dramas recently, thus they are left unsubbed.

I donwloaded an episode of Mom Has Grown Horns... i only understand about 5-10% and decided not to torture myself with it anymore (too bad, seems like a good drama too).

But reading the synopsis of this drama, even if the 200 episode scares me to death, I want to give it a try.

Browsed thru your previous post (didn't read much to avoid spoilers) and it really looks good.

I don't know when will I be able to keep up with the episodes since I'm a bit too late already... but if i'll like episode one, i'll try my best to join you in watching one episode at a time (it may take me years to finish watching this).

Hey look at the numbers!

DAILY TV RATING - FRIDAY 2009-03-06

TNS

NATIONWIDE RANK / SHOW / NETWORK / NATIONWIDE RATING / SEOUL RATING + RANK {if different from Nationwide}

1. Cruel Temptation / Lure Of Wife <아내의유혹> (SBS) - 34.3%, 35.2%

2. White Lie <하얀거짓말> (MBC) - 16.6%, 16.8%

3. VJ Commando VJ특공대 (KBS2) - 15.8%, 15.8% (#4)

4. The Road Home <집으로가는길> (KBS1) - 15.6%, 14.4% (#6)

5. KBS News 9 (KBS1) - 15.1%, 14.6%

6. Don't Cry My Love / I Love You, Don't Cry <사랑해울지마> (MBC) - 15.0%, 16.6% (#3)

7. Real Or Not 있다없다 (SBS) - 12.3%, 12.7%

8. 2009 WBC <Round 1 - Korea:Taiwan> (KBS2) - 12.3%, 12.5% (#10)

9. Tae-Hee Hye-Kyo Ji-Hyun <태희혜교지현이> (MBC) - 12.0%, 12.6% (#9)

10. Friend Note 절친노트 (SBS) - 11.5%, 12.7% (#8)

*** AGB ***

Nationwide Rank / Show / Network / Nationwide Rating / Seoul Rating + Rank (if different from Nationwide)

1. Cruel Temptation / Lure Of Wife <아내의유혹> (SBS) - 34.7%, 33.1%

2. The Road Home <집으로가는길> (KBS1) - 18.8%, 18.5%

3. White Lie <하얀거짓말> (MBC) - 17.9%, 18.4%

4. KBS 9 News (KBS1) - 16.6%, 15.7%

5. Innocent You / Purity <순결한당신> (SBS) - 14.5%, 15.1%

6. VJ Commando VJ특공대 (KBS2) - 14.2%, 14.4%

7. Don't Cry My Love / I Love You, Don't Cry <사랑해울지마> (MBC) - 14.0%, 14.1%

8. Wife And Woman <아내와여자> (KBS2) - 12.1%, 12.9%

9. SBS 8 News (SBS) - 11.8%, 11.2% (#14)

10. Section TV 섹션TV연예통신 (MBC) - 11.5%, 12.0%

credit kdramafanusa/soompi

credit noknok/soompi

Welcome *alodia*! Join the fun

The autistic husband got his hair cut and permed. He's looking more and more like a man. I guess his mother kept his hair in that bowl hair style so she can keep him in a little boy position but his wife is making a man out of him. It's great to see because it's a slow and fairly realistic process.

:lol::lol::lol:

So true, so true but here's the damnest thing....

We keep crawling! :lol: LMAO

@alodia: Welcome to the thirsty group. We'll gladly share our water with you. hahahaha :lol::wacko:

@gerryg: Actually, the word "people" doesn't even describe me any longer. I am crawling through so many dramas, without subs, I think I've turned into an inchworm. :blink::wacko::w00t:

The deserts that I'm crawling through are: "Don't Cry, I love You", "Road Home", "White Lies", "Family Honor" and last, but not least, "Glory to Youth" ... which has absolutely no one to give me even a drop of water.

Thank goodness that I don't watch every episode of all of these dramas every day. Otherwise, I will definitely be dead of thirst. ahhhh... I must be a glutton for punishment! :crazy::w00t:

The ex-'s wife who has finally put all the pieces together, called her father.

Presumably to make things difficult for Mrs. Shin and her husband....

She took the ripped up pieces of their photograph together to a photo shop and

had the picture restored.

She calls Mrs. Shin saying she has to meet her right away...

but in true K-Drama fashion she is sidetracked to see her pregancy doctor,

who announces that she's pregnant.

Now faced with the fact that she's carrying his child - she's torn as to what to do.

She has however begun to "bait" Mrs. Shin's daughter-in-law with loaded questions...

"Are you happy?"

"But are you really Happy?"

"What was your boyfriend in college's name...?"

She asked her husband.... "What was sisterr-in-law's boyfriend's name in college?"

The ex- meanwhile - went to see a man in the hospital - He must be important to him because

he held the man's hand closely as he saw his injuries - he was badly beaten.

The man told him a truth about his father that was previously unknown...

and whatever he said shook him up.

Today was the anniversary of Mrs. Shin's husband's death and they were holding the

ceremony - only the ex- was late...

His wife (who still has not told him she is pregnant) called him.... he was on his way...

Mrs. Shin started the ceremony anyway - and had the younger autistic son do the bowing

at the table with his sister giving him directions...

the ex- walks in - walks over the the table and flips it over and starts screaming about the father...

and walks over to Mrs. Shin and grabs her by the coller and gets in her face screaming about

some unknown truth about his dad.....

I suspect the dead dad had never intended for Mrs. Shin to make his life a living heck...

and that by manipulating and controlling him - she was going against her dead husband's wishes...

Meanwhile - just moments before this happened - the ex-'s now pregnant wife - went into sister-in-law's room to get some tissues and discovered the second wedding band... now she's got both.

OK - well.... throwing Ms. Shin against the wall ending up being a fantasy in the ex's head!

Didn't really happen....

but he did drag him mother in front of the picture of the father...

and she made such a scene that Mrs. Shin left the ceremony.

Then the little boy came out of his room - saw the "Ahjussi" that kidnapped him -

and kicked him and tried too bite his leg...

so then the Ahjussi, his mom and his now pregnant wife left the ceremony too.

The pregnant wife invited sister-in-law over and started cleaning out her closet to give her fancy clothes...

She said she wouldn't need them since she's pregnant - and then carefully observed sister-in-law's face for a reaction -

She said - "aren't you going to congratulate me???"

And she stumbles over her congratulations...

And then to be as mean as possible - she pulled out some clothes that sister-in-law had bought her husband...(before she knew he was married) and said "Here, you can take this too.

It's not my husband's style and is cheap and ugly..."

Then the ex- took his wife out to eat at a restaurant he had closed for their privacy...

a string ensemble played classical music for them.... and he got down on his knees and

proposed for real this time..... since last time, their families had just arranged the marriage.

His mother did back-flips at the news her daughter-in-law is pregnant and ran to tell

Mrs. Shin the good news - there's an heir for the Shin dynasty...

to which Mrs. Shin said they already have an heir.... the little boy that the autistic son will be

adopting....

Oh my gosh! This story is too much! I was wondering what Mrs. Shin said at the end of the episode. I was literally screaming...

What did she say? What did she say? :o

I just can't believe this story. It gets better and better. What will the ex mother do when she finds out that Mrs. Shin has adopted her grandson!? Oh my goodness, what a story. Everyone has a lie. It's a wonder we're not going through the 'whose baby is she carrying?" That would have been interesting too.

I think the ex's wife is too mean. She was sleeping around knowing she doesn't love her husband and now she has the nerve to be jealous. What nerves! But I like them, I like them a lot! :D Normally we only see this kind of cockiness from a man but it's great seeing it in a woman.

So, the little boy bit his daddy huh. Good for him! I was wondering why the ex shook him off his leg like that. He doesn't deserve to have a son. <_< The ex is so unworthy.

So, does the ex really love his wife now? Why, the change? Or, is it another ploy or manipulation? :unsure:

Darn, we still don't know what the injured man told the ex about his father.

@canyayasis: Thanks for keeping us crawling. (I just wish that someone was doing the same for "Glory of Youth" because there seems to have been huge revelation of secrets in the last few episodes ... based on the dramatic swell in the background music.) :wacko:

yesterday's episode was wonderful and heartbreaking...

The challenge was to make the little boy understand that he could now call the autistic son "Appa" instead of Ahjussi... (these 2 are very close to the same childlike emotional level of understanding..)

So finally - the boy's mother asks "do you like Ahjussi?"

"yes"

"would you like for him to be your father?"

"yes"

"then just call him Appa."

So the little boy calls him "Dad" and jumps in his arms...

but then the heartbreaker....(sort of...)

The new family of 3 go off for the first day of school.

**the little boy helped his DAD pick out what the DAD was going to wear for the boy's first day of school.

First they walk past the playground where the little boy was kidnapped.

and his new dad sees the slide and remembers what happened last time they were there,

and squeezes the little boy's hand so tight - the little boy cries...

then ALL the kids and mothers and dads are at school orientation listening to the teacher.

the new dad is struggling - with the noise, th chaos and just keeps hanging on to the boy.

the mom comes over to try to settle things....

but when they get home, the little boy says he doesn't want him to be his dad,

"because he's strange...and wierd..." and runs to his room....

the new parents follow him... and the little boy screams he doesn't want Ahjussi to be his dad

because he's embarassing...and says he's not his dad - he's just ahjussi...

Well, mom sends the new dad out.... and she looks like she's gonna kill the kid...

the boy keeps saying that ahjussi is strange and embarassing - and that he was embarassed by him at school.

the mom takes his favorite drawing pencils and starts screaming at the kid while beating her chest with the pencils...

now the boy is crying too...

New dad hears his wife screaming at the boy

and runs in the room and grabs the boy and takes him out of the room...

(remember many weeks back - when he had a flashback of Mrs. Shin screaming at him

when he was a little boy)

He holds the crying boy - bouncing him up and down - repeating over and over again...

"I'm not your dad" (i.e Appa ahnimnida - dad not)

"I'm your Ahjussi.."(i.e. Ahjussi imnida - ahjussi am)

"I'm not your dad" (i.e Appa ahnimnida - dad not)

"I'm your Ahjussi.."(i.e. Ahjussi imnida - ahjussi am)

He's trying to reverse all that's happened and go back to the happier times when

he was just an ahjussi to the little boy...

It has the feel of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz clicking her heels and saying

"There's no place like home."

So....over and over and over and over and over again - all the while as he holds the boy AND

the little boy holds on to him too... (this scene absolutely brought tears to my eyes)

Finally the mother calms down and comes into the other room...

and the little boy raises his head and looks straight into the man's eyse and says...

"you're not my ahjussi, you're my dad..."

(it's these little moments of this autistic man's life - flashing with brilliance that really keep me watching)

Meanwhile the ex-'s newly pregnant wife - is having nightmares of her husband sneaking

off to meet sister-in-law.... and when she can't reach her husband because his phone is off,

she calls sister-in-law and asks her where she is...

"i'm at the house" (Chib/p - 집)

and she's not sure if she believes her - until she hears the autistic husband's voice talking to her.

So prego feels embarassed and hangs up - as her husband arrives bearing gifts...

Toward the end of yesterday's episode - Mrs. Shin receives an anonymous call...

The audience is shown his back only - and we hear his voice - but don't know who he is...

*We do know he shops at the same place the ex- does because I think he's wearing the same

shiny silver suit!

I'll have to rewatch it to hear more clearly - but I do know it's about the little boy's paternity/father...

because Mrs. Shin keeps having these private meetings with the mother asking about the boy's real dad.

Okay - off to work!

the character names:

orgimg11122810677310a96eu0.png

eun-yeong

orgimg1212281067731024eac3.png

mz. shin (president shin)

orgimg1412281067731024exn7.png

hyeong-woo

orgimg1312281067731024ebh2.png

jeong-woo

orgimg1512281067731024fst3.png

na-kyeong

I've decided to repeat dramaok's post from way in the beginning to help me - be clear on the names...

I'll use the post as a "key" of sorts to refer for the names!

+so the ex- has gotten rotten-er in the last 2 eppies.....

The paternity of the boy - the father that is... is still a mystery to Ms. Shin.

But a man keeps calling her and telling her that HE is the father...

Then the ex- calls EY (his ex) and begs her to meet him and to bring the boy.

So she finally says she will (WHY, after he tried to kidnap the kid to England???)

Unbeknownst to her - the man (who is following her ex's orders) shows up at the restaurant and says that the ex has been held up but will be here soon.... and offers for them to go ahead and eat...

the stranger ALSO, had called Mrs. Shin and said if you doubt that I am the father - come to such and such a restaurant and you will see the 3 of us having a nice family dinner....

So Mrs. Shin drives by... and sure enough - there they are - the 3 of them - having a meal together...

as soon as she see them, she drives off - and the ex- walks out of the alley with a smirk on his face...

The ex- is totally creating this ficticious story for her and the boy - and usually the smart Mrs. Shin is buying it...

She goes home and ONCE AGAIN starts throwing her daughter-in-law's clothes out of the closet to throw her out...

She takes down their wedding picture and is about to smash it, but her son walks in and stops her...

Meanwhile back at the restaurant - the ex- shows up with apologies - and joins their dinner (but Mrs. Shin is gone)

then he takes the boy to his car to give him a present - and has a secret talk with him - and ask the boy to draw a picture of his mom, himself and the stranger ahjussi Just for him - and to keep it a secret from his mom and dad and everyone...

When they come back to the car and EY asks what they were talking about - the boy says "it's a secret"..

Meanwhile - Prego - is having delusional dreams of walking in on her husband and sister-in-law in bed...

the nightmare wakes her up and she takes the jacket that sister-in-law had given to him out to the living room and in a moment

of crazed anger - takes a pair of scissors to it... ripping it to shreads...

her husband wakes up and comes out and see what she's done -

FREEZE FRAME for Monday's episode.

Guest lavie123

I've decided to repeat dramaok's post from way in the beginning to help me - be clear on the names...

I'll use the post as a "key" of sorts to refer for the names!

I was looking forward to your summaries. I hope that you are okay and that you will continue at your own pace of course.

In behalf of canyayasis, I'll provide the explanation. I just heard that she has not been watching the dramas because she has been spending all of her available time learning more Korean. So, that she can become even more proficient in listening to the dialog and eventually, give us more detailed translations, summaries, etc. :D

So, for now, we're crawling through the desert again. :lol:

In behalf of canyayasis, I'll provide the explanation. I just heard that she has not been watching the dramas because she has been spending all of her available time learning more Korean. So, that she can become even more proficient in listening to the dialog and eventually, give us more detailed translations, summaries, etc. :D

So, for now, we're crawling through the desert again. :lol:

Well at least she gave us enough water to keep us going :lol:

Thanks for the update! ;)

It's hot! It's cold.....

OK... the ex- has COMPLETELY manufactured a father for the child...

He's double-crossed his ex- and kept sending the Ahjussi to meet her with various excuses... all the while he stood back

and took pictures which he fed to Mrs. Shin as "proof" that she was off meeting the biological father...

Mrs. Shin was SOOO mad that - she POISONED her own son's fish to death -

tossed all his CDs all over the floor... and blamed the kid....

Only the daughter-in-law has a hidden camcorder for taking to the Doctor to gauge the autistic husband's behavioral improvements...

and the doctor AND the daughter-in-law BOTH saw that it was Mrs. Shin who did it....

But before she can confront the mother... Mrs. Shin gathers the 2 ex's and the fake father together...

Mrs. shin doesn't believe her that she doesn't know the man...

and the autistic son told the mother to make the kid go away since he thinks the boy killed his fish...

armed with all of this information ... Mrs. Shin... throws the boy out of the house YET AGAIN.....

the little boy drew a farewell picture to his "dad"saying...

"Daddy - I love you..."

and when he tried to run after then... guess who stopped him...

but FINALLY someone has figured it out...

the ex's mother overhears something at the spa when the boy is there...

and she runs home to tell HER daughter-in-law that the boy is the REAL son of her sister-in-law who..

when she was pregnant with the boy was abandoned by a "bad bad man"...

only the mother-in-law doesn't know that the daughter in law KNOWS that the "bad bad man" is her current husband

and the womans OWN son!!

so... someone finally knows the biology of the boys parents...

and as she realizes this... her husband (the ex) walks in and says "what's going on???"

But the killer for me is that she(the ex) doesn't get to confront Mrs. Shin with the video of her killing

her own son's fish and pulling out all the CDs from the shelf....

How CRUEL to let her own son think that the boy did it!!!

and on a side note - the austistic son's sister has finally warmed to the boy and gave him 2 troll dolls as

a goodbye gift...

Have there ever been such ridiculous parents and adults in a child's life??????

Sadly - I'm sure there have been....

So "psycho prego" as she will now be called - has finally put the dots together...

the boy has once again been banished to her parents home....

Autistic son/husband is at home sad and lonely because he misses the boy - but knowing he's the reason he is gone... and his wife is concentrating on being a good wife by bringing home rented movies to watch.

Having settled on a documentary - he clearly is not watching - with eyes downcast... ruminating his genuine

affection for the little boy that calls him dad....

Meanwhile, psycho prego overhears her husband talking to the boy in his office - and comes in and suggests that they ALL go for ice cream.... then she offers to take the boy (they call him "Bae-on-ni", but as I can't find the exact name, I don't won't to be calling him the wrong name) to the movies...

at the movies - he's having fun - she meanwhile is going slowly insane...

the boy has told her a big secret in their car ride over that Ahjussi tried to take him to England...or maybe he'll try again.... and he (the boy) says she must keep his secret...

after the movies, in the huge crowds of a multi-plex.... she lets go of his hand on purpose.... and drives home.

she starts drinking... booze for the pyscho prego... and when sister in law calls... she says she has the boy.

and when she asks to speak to him.... prego says he's off having too much fun to come to the phone...

with a sudden surge of conscience.... she heads back to the multi plex to find the boy...

when he's nowhere to be found.... she breaks down and calls her husband...

she's lost the boy.... she can't find him....

For the record - this is Abandonment number 7 or 8 for this poor kid!!

He's been kidnapped... by the double-crossing blackmailer...

He's been kidnapped by the stranger ahjussi to be given to his biological father for the aborted abduction to England (first time... seems a 2nd time is coming)

He's been banished to his room at Mrs. Shin's house...

He's been banished with his mom to his grandparents...

He's been banished away from his mom to his grandparents...

and let us never forget - he was given away and abandoned as a newborn....

YIKES-AH-PEEZ!!!!!

This poor kid!

by the way- the ex- blackmailed the boy's mother to say that the stranger Ahjussi was the boy's father...

and she doesn't even know the guy's name!!

So she's now told Mrs. Shin - he is the boy's father...

for all her power... Mrs. Shin sure isn't very clever, is she?

Shouldn't she be doing simple DNA tests - simple surveillance and wire taping -

Thank you canyayasis for doing yet another summary for us. :D

I'm still stuck at how the grandmother kidnapped and abandon her grandchild at birth and brought him back as dismantled broken boy. That is waay beyond me :sweatingbullets:

So is it true that no one besides the psycho knows that the ex is the little boy's father? How can that be?

Also, I think the reason why the psycho is psycho is because she is unfaithful. Unfaithful people generally distrust everyone around them ... why ... because they think that if they can do it than the others can do it too. Consequently, they never have clean thoughts and live in a world of deception.

Speaking of deception what is going on with the phycho's lover and bobble head sister-in-law? Does he know the ex is his woman's husband? Since she lost the little boy, I hope the sil exposes her big time!

• 2 weeks later...

are there still anyone watching this? :lol: i just found out recently they actually have chinese subs for this~ i think the subs are only up to epi 36 as of today so there's still a long way to catch up on recent episodes. anyway, if anyone wants any question answered on earlier episodes ... i will try to help as much as i can.

Archived