Jung Ji Hoon * 정지훈 * 鄭智薰 * (aka Rain/Bi / 비 / ピ) I [Upcoming Drama 2024] Red Swan

Nancyzak

K-pop star Rain gets surprise career boost from a bad music video

A parody dance video by a student late last year has led people to Gang, the singer's 2017 single

xrain_oppa.png.pagespeed.ic.wj6mtDxywf.j

Singer Jung Ji Hoon, known popularly as Rain, was one of the biggest K-pop stars at one time, with South Korean media even dubbing him a “world star”.

His album It’s Raining sold more than a million copies in Asia and he acted in two Hollywood movies. However, his career began to go downhill after the release of his 2014 album Rain Effect and went down further with the release of the 2017 single Gang and 2019 movie Race to Freedom: Um Bok Dong.

The singer recently made the headlines again but not for the right reasons. The Gang  music video became popular for its over the top production, embarrassing choreography and self-absorbed lyrics. The word “gang” means audacity in Korean.

Late last year, a student started a parody dance video and called the movement 1 Gang A Day. The viral video led people to the original video by Rain.

The original video is expected to garner more than 10 million views, while a variety of parody videos have been circulating on the Internet.

People haven been leaving comments — from sarcastic to entertaining — in the video’s comment section. One person said the original song was a vaccination for K-pop. Another said that the title “Gang” sounded corny and that nobody used the word any more and that it was like returning to 2006.

Last weekend, Rain appeared on the variety show Hang Out With Yoo, which led to more comments and parodies. The singer said on the show that one should do 3 Gangs a day. According to Rain, artistes in the past had to have a confident attitude, smashing things onstage and shoot lasers from their eyes.

He added that gazing at the camera while dancing well is old-fashioned now. TV host Yoo Jae Suk asked Rain how he ended up with the Gang video as a savvy artiste and Rain responded that he only realised that after Gang.

Rain has also made a comeback as a producer for I-Land, a reality show in search of the next K-pop band. BTS label Big Hit Entertainment and entertainment giant CJ&EM have formed Belif Lab to produce I-Land.

Rain is not the only K-pop artiste to have made a comeback recently. Yang Joon Il, a Korean-American pop singer, made a return this year after his 1990s videos became popular on YouTube. Yang had retired from the industry and was living in the US. He had a concert and appeared in TV ads. /TISG

credit : http://theindependent.sg/k-pop-star-rain-gets-surprise-career-boost-from-a-bad-music-video/

Yoo Jae-suk recruits superstars Lee Hyo-ri, Rain to form group

20200529000445_0.jpg

Comedian Yoo Jae-suk is collaborating with singers Lee Hyo-ri and Rain as a group for Saturday’s episode of “Hangout with Yoo,” as revealed in the preview shown in last week’s episode where they were seen dancing onstage.

MBC’s “Hangout with Yoo” features the popular comedian taking on different characters and trying new fields. So far, he has attempted cooking ramen, singing trot music and frying chicken.

His latest attempt is to become a dance group member.

In previous episodes, Yoo met with superstars Rain and Lee separately in order to recruit them for a new mixed gender dance group. In the episodes, Rain and Lee showcased their dance skills as well as their sense of humor.

The episode on Saturday will feature the three celebrities in a dance group.

“The group is in the process of coming together and is contemplating recruiting additional members as well as other plans,” said an MBC official on Thursday.

Producers of “Hangout with Yoo” have announced that the group will focused on summer dance music that will bring back memories of the ’90s and the 2000s.

The next episode of “Hangout with Yoo” is scheduled to air at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday on MBC.

By Lim Jang-won (ljw@heraldcorp.com)

Legends Yoo Jae-suk, Lee Hyori and Rain form K-pop trio

A preview from the upcoming episode for MBC variety show "Hangout With Yoo" on Saturday. From left, Yoo Jae-suk, Lee Hyori and Rain pose on stage as they practice as part of their newly formed mixed-gender group. [MBC]

A preview from the upcoming episode for MBC variety show "Hangout With Yoo" on Saturday. From left, Yoo Jae-suk, Lee Hyori and Rain pose on stage as they practice as part of their newly formed mixed-gender group. [MBC]

It’s official. The hotly anticipated trio of popular entertainer Yoo Jae-suk and celebrity icons Lee Hyori and Rain, also known as Jung Ji-hoon, are forming a mixed-gender K-pop group through the MBC variety show “Hangout with Yoo,” the broadcaster announced on Friday.

It all began when Yoo launched a music project to create a mixed-gender pop group like the ones that dominated the music industry in the 90s — COOL, Roo’Ra, S#arp, and Koyote. 

The comedian was initially set to return as Yoo San-seul, his stage name as a trot singer, but postponed his plan after a spate of new trot songs were released following the competition show “Mr. Trot” on TV Chosun, which ended in March.  

The entertainer then turned his attention to getting advice from veteran singers and experts from the 90s to get a kick-start on his new project and met separately with both Lee and Jung to coax them into joining him.  

Lee and Jung were legends in the early 2000s. Lee, a former member of the hit 90s girl group FIN.K.L, debuted solo with the sensational “10 Minutes” in 2003 and saw a slew of smash-hit songs such as “U-Go-Girl” (2008), "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" (2010), “Bad Girls” (2013) and “Miss Korea” (2013).  

Jung debuted in 2002 with “Bad Guy” (2002) which was an immediate hit, and was praised for his singing and dancing skills and songs such as “How to Avoid the Sun” (2003) and “Rainism” (2008). After he ended his contract with his former agency JYP Entertainment in 2007, his fame began to fade away. He turned his attention to producing songs and even expanded his career to acting. 

His questionable songs “Gang” (2017) has recently seen renewed popularity but as the subject of mockery rather than its quality. 

However, the veteran singer's laid back attitude and breezy acceptance that his song “wasn’t cool anymore” garnered favorable feedback from “Hangout with Yoo” viewers, and demand for the creation of the trio grew.  

On May 21, the show’s official Instagram account uploaded pictures of the trio, riling up the fans, and on Friday, the show officially announced that Yoo, Lee and Jung have become members of the group.  

“We’re still fitting together the puzzle of what the group is going to be like, and we’re still deliberating about recruiting new members,” the show said.  

The 44th episode of “Hangout with Yoo” that feature the trio uniting for the first time will air on Saturday at 6:30 p.m.  

BY LEE JAE-LIM   [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]  

RAIN + HYO RI HEAT UP THE DANCE FLOOR

screenshot_20200530-202558_youtube5363962579171784953.jpg?w=620

Rain and Hyo Ri, plus Yoo Jae Suk, dance up a storm for the latter’s variety show. I love how Rain and Hyo Ri have zero self-consciousness and get along like a house on fire.

They are both legends in their own right in the K-Pop world and it’s always nice to see them hang out and perform together.

*** RAIN says there's no one in the music industry who can beat Lee Hyori for female solo...... :blush:

'놀면뭐하니?' 비 "지금도 가요계서 이효리 이길 여성 솔로 없어"

뉴스1 원문 기사전송 2020-05-30 18:52

기사 이미지

MBC ⓒ 뉴스1

(서울=뉴스1) 장아름 기자 = '놀면 뭐하니?' 비가 이효리의 진가를 극찬했다.

30일 오후 6시30분 방송된 MBC '놀면 뭐하니?'에서는 이효리와 비의 재회가 그려졌다.

비는 레인컴퍼니를 운영 중인 대표로서 "이효리와 계약하고 싶다"며 "계약금도 다 줄 수 있다"고 의욕을 보였다. 이에 최근 에스팀과 계약한 이효리는 "여기저기 알아볼 걸 그랬다"고 너스레를 떨었다.

두 사람은 데뷔가 한달 차이나는 동기였다. 비는 "(핑클과) 같이 방송한 적이 많다"면서 "그 당시 저는 아무 것도 아니었다"고 회상했다.

또 비는 "제가 정말 놀란 게, 누나가 그대로다. 저는 지금도 가요계에서 이효리라는 브랜드를 이길 수 있는 여성 솔로는 없다 생각한다"고 극찬했다.

이에 유재석은 "가요대상, 연예대상을 동시에 수상한 건 이효리 뿐"이라고 거들었다.

aluemchang@news1.kr

Singer Rain of 'Gang' sensation forms project K-pop team for TV

SEOUL, May 31 (Yonhap) -- Doubling down on a recent viral sensation surrounding one of his past obscure songs, K-pop singer Rain has formed a one-off K-pop team as part of a reality TV project.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, appeared on television forming a project coed band with Lee Hyo-ri, former member of '90s girl group FIN.K.L, and star comedian-emcee Yoo Jae-suk on MBC TV's "Hang Out with Yoo" on Saturday.

The episode featured the trio discussing the group's concept and direction, as well as footage of the team performing past hit songs by the two K-pop stars.

The team, which could add more members down the line, plans to release a retro '90s or 2000s-style summer dance song in the near future.

The weekend prime time TV show centers around Yoo, one of the biggest celebrity comedians in South Korea, tackling various vocational projects, such as cooking and stage acting, in a reality TV format.

Last year, Yoo released a three-track EP record, "Bbong For Yoo," under the comedic alter ego of Yoo San-seul, creating huge buzz within the pop culture landscape.

One of the biggest K-pop stars during the 2000s, Rain, who has experienced a career lull in recent years, has returned to the public spotlight amid a hate-watching boom towards the music video for his 2017 song "Gang."

The strange popularity of the video, which many describe as corny and out-of-touch, has led to an online movement called "one Gang a day," referring to the act of viewing the video on YouTube at least once a day.

The view count for the music video has recently surpassed the 10-million mark. It has also led to the creation and uploading of a vast number of parody videos on the internet.

AEN20200529007200315_01_i_P4.jpg

This composite image provided by MBC TV shows highlights from the network's weekend variety show "Hang Out With Yoo," starring comedian Yoo Jae-suk and K-pop stars Rain and Lee Hyo-ri. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

odissy@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

Watch: Lee Hyori, Rain, And Yoo Jae Suk Reminisce About Old Times As They Prepare For Co-Ed Group

0130d9d3f48a49a49a9cbec114b63bda.jpeg?s=

On the May 30 episode of MBC’s “How Do You Play?”, Lee Hyori, Rain, and Yoo Jae Suk met up to discuss their upcoming co-ed group.

First, Lee Hyori and Yoo Jae Suk met at a café and talked about Lee Hyori’s recent contract with a new agency. She said, “If I debut in a group, I’ll be involved for several months. In that case, I need an agency. I signed with this agency because we have a prior relationship.”

Lee Hyori added that the contract does not force her to do anything she doesn’t want to do. “I don’t have any activities planned except for this show,” she said. “I asked them not to plan anything else for me. In return, I did not accept the contract fee.”

Later, Rain joined them to talk about their careers. He said, “I believe there are still no female solo artists who can win against Lee Hyori.” Yoo Jae Suk added that Lee Hyori is the only celebrity who has won Grand Prizes (Daesangs) in both music and entertainment. He joked, “If we form a group and we win the Daesang in music, I’ll become the next celebrity to accomplish that feat.”

Rain and Lee Hyori also recalled their old duet performance together. Rain said, “We only rehearsed for a day.” Lee Hyori explained,

“We were so busy at the time that we only had time to rehearse for a day.”

Rain added that he and Lee Hyori could have gotten a lot closer but were not able to because of their packed schedules. Lee Hyori cracked Yoo Jae Suk up by saying, “We even could have dated.” Rain said, “I know. But we didn’t even exchange contact information.”

Lee Hyori continued, “We didn’t have time to meet up in private. We met several times for work, but we didn’t have time for anything else.”

In discussing who else would join their group, Lee Hyori said, “It’s not enough to just get the strongest and most talented people and put them in a group together. The balance is what’s important. If someone is like fire, you need someone else who is like water.” She quipped, “Since I come on pretty strong, I think you need to find people who are quiet and will listen to what I say.” Rain said, “If it’s like this, let’s just become Lee Hyori & Boys.”

Lee Hyori then gave a performance of her solo hit “U Go Girl.”

Lee Hyori also talked about a scene in which she fought with Kim Tae Hee in a sitcom. She said, “Can’t Kim Tae Hee join the group as well? I’ll invite Lee Sang Soon too and we’ll be a family group. I think Lee Sang Soon would like that. He’d step over me in order to get to the top.” Rain looked interested in the idea but Lee Hyori said, “There can only be one visual in the group. Who is it?” Rain replied without hesitation, “It’s Kim Tae Hee.” She laughed and said, “He’s quite wise.”

Check out an episode of “How Do You Play?” below!

Watch Now

Source (1) (2) (3) (4) / soompi news

Singer Rain of 'Gang' sensation forms project K-pop team for TV

optimize

Doubling down on a recent viral sensation surrounding one of his past obscure songs, K-pop singer Rain has formed a one-off K-pop team as part of a reality TV project.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, appeared on television forming a project coed band with Lee Hyo-ri, former member of '90s girl group FIN.K.L, and star comedian-emcee Yoo Jae-suk on MBC TV's "Hang Out with Yoo" on Saturday.

The episode featured the trio discussing the group's concept and direction, as well as footage of the team performing past hit songs by the two K-pop stars.

The team, which could add more members down the line, plans to release a retro '90s or 2000s-style summer dance song in the near future.

The weekend prime time TV show centers around Yoo, one of the biggest celebrity comedians in South Korea, tackling various vocational projects, such as cooking and stage acting, in a reality TV format.

Last year, Yoo released a three-track EP record, "Bbong For Yoo," under the comedic alter ego of Yoo San-seul, creating huge buzz within the pop culture landscape.

One of the biggest K-pop stars during the 2000s, Rain, who has experienced a career lull in recent years, has returned to the public spotlight amid a hate-watching boom towards the music video for his 2017 song "Gang."

The strange popularity of the video, which many describe as corny and out-of-touch, has led to an online movement called "one Gang a day," referring to the act of viewing the video on YouTube at least once a day.

The view count for the music video has recently surpassed the 10-million mark. It has also led to the creation and uploading of a vast number of parody videos on the internet. (Yonhap)

[SBS Star] Yu Jae Seok·Lee Hyo-ri·RAIN to Make a Unit Debut

201435759_1280.jpg

Entertainer Yu Jae Seok, singers Lee Hyo-ri and RAIN will be debuting as a unit group this summer. On May 29, the production team of MBC's variety show 'How Do You Play?' revealed the new co-ed unit group's debut plans. Yu Jae Seok, Lee Hyo-ri, RAINThe production team stated, "Yu Jae Seok, who is a 'trainee', will be forming a co-ed unit group with legendary singers Lee Hyo-ri and RAIN." They added, "The group is currently in the process of putting together the pieces, and we are considering adding more members into the group." Yu Jae Seok, Lee Hyo-ri, RAINOn the previous episode of 'How Do You Play', Yu Jae Seok met up with Lee Hyo-ri and RAIN to discuss their idea of forming a unit group. Yu Jae Seok, who has shown off his talents in music and dance, is rumored to be developing his producing skills this time. Lee Hyo-ri, who has already proven her popularity as the iconic solo artist of K-pop, will take on the role of main vocalist and center of the group. RAIN will also be showing off his passion and charms as the third member of the unit group. Yu Jae Seok, Lee Hyo-ri, RAIN(Credit= MBC How Do You Play?) (SBS Star)

201435760_1280.jpg

201435758_1280.jpg

201435757_1280.jpg

Jay Park raises speculation over collaboration with Bi Rain through repeated Gang-hat SNS update

0004216127_001_20200531100004958.jpg?typ

Artists under the global hip-hop label H1ghr Music joined in the "Gang" syndrome.

On May 30, President Jay Park of H1ghr Music, Haon, pH-1, Sik-K stirred the public's curiosity by continuously posting photos of Bi Rain's "Gang" hat on the personal SNS.

" Each of the artists mentioned above exudes a unique swag when wearing the Rain hat - a product that has ""caused a fever"" because Bi Rain used it in the MV ""Gang"" - engraved with his name, thereby attracting a lot of attention from netizens."

In particular, following Jay Park, Bi Rain, the protagonist of the "Gang" syndrome, also raised expectations of the collaboration with H1ghr Music by uploading a photo of wearing the hat on his SNS.

"Gang" is a song that Bi Rain, who is constantly causing a sensation with the recent "1 on 1 Gang" meme, released 3 years ago. In 2020, this song has once again become hot in the online community and created the "Gang" syndrome. In addition, thanks to the influence of this syndrome, Bi Rain is capturing attention by heralding the co-ed group project with Yoo Jae Suk and Lee Hyorin through the show "Hangout with Yoo" (MBC).

On the other hand, H1ghr Music is a global hip-hop and R&B music label gathering talented Korean artists and artists who have shown dynamic activities in different cities and countries, including Seattle (the US). The company was co-founded in 2017 by Jay Park and Cha Cha Malone.

H1ghr Music is the management company of many talented Korean and international artists like Sik-K, GroovyRoom (Gyujeong, Hwimin), pH-1, Woodie Gochild, Haon, Woogie, Golden, Big Naughty (Seo Dong Hyun), Yultron, AV, Phe Reds, etc.

OSEN = Reporter Kang Seo Jung /kangsj@osen.co.kr

https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

'Hangout with Yoo?' has achieved their best ratings with 10,2% as Lee Hyori and Rain become the guest!

1.jpg

'Hangout with Yoo?' has achieved their best ratings with 10,2% as Lee Hyori and Rain become the guest!

Capture.JPG

Netizen comments :

(+403,-21) Lee Hyori and carrie ㅋㅋ I burst on laughing because of Kwanghee. ㅋㅋ

(+291,-10) Rain is really having a real man aura ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

(+47,-5) Honestly, Lee Hyori did everything yesterday. ㅋㄱㅋㅋㅋ

(+38,0) Don't hire another member. Just go with it.

(+35,-4) I haven't had any interest in Rain until now, but I think there's a reason why they're successfulㅋㅋ  Lee Hyori is the best, Kwanghee has the best chemistry.

(+31,-1) I kept smiling while watching it.
When Rain and Lee Hyori danced to "10 Minute," I was like, "Wow!"

source : https://www.storykpop.com/2020/05/hangout-with-yoo-has-achieved-their.html

Singer Rain talks about how there's still no female solois who can beat Lee Hyori in 'Hangout With Yoo?'

4217590_high.jpg

Singer Rain talks about how there's still no female solois who can beat Lee Hyori in 'Hangout With Yoo?'

Screenshot_20200530-181348_Chrome.jpg

Netizens comments :

(+492,-6) I wonder if there'll be another star like this.
Lee Hyori, who is always cool.

(+431,-8) It will continue to be so....

(+322,-6) Unrivaled Lee Hyori.

(+48,-1) Lee Hyori's talkative is going to make Lee Sangsoon nervous.

(+40,-1) Rather than being a national singer, Lee Hyori has a super-time name as one icon and brand.

(+37,0) I don't think there's a better solo than Rain Lee Hyori. ㅠㅠㅠ

(+27,0) It's so funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

source : https://www.storykpop.com/2020/05/singer-rain-talks-about-how-theres.html