[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

I joined Soompi today to view this thread! I love this drama so much. It would take me a lot of time to read the posts but I really will!

Wow... good luck! I tried in the beginning and failed miserably lol. This thread moves at such a rapid speed (and that's a good thing)! GHS is such a trooper but I really wish she'd get more rest. This is definitely not benefiting her health in any way possible. And aww LMH won Best New Actor <3 He even looks adorable when he trips. Congrads to KHJ for winning Popularity Award too!

There is something that I don't understand! Why doesn't JP just be straight with JD and tell her the truth about his promise with his mum? Doesn’t he realize he is not protecting her this way and that he is hurting her more by saying such hurtful words like ‘you are a stain I want to remove’ and acting cold towards her? I’m sure she would be more at peace if she knew the real reason why he’s changed.

Guest omgit'sme

There is something that I don't understand! Why doesn't JP just be straight with JD and tell her the truth about his promise with his mum? Doesn’t he realize he is not protecting her this way and that he is hurting her more by saying such hurtful words like ‘you are a stain I want to remove’ and acting cold towards her? I’m sure she would be more at peace if she knew the real reason why he’s changed.

that's what people in real life would do, i mean it's the logical thing to do.

but remember, this is a drama and these kinda things make it more interesting and not boring like real life >.<

Guest jollibee

i guess that's what make the whole story work...

it makes viewers watch it to know what will happen next...

i mean if he told her doesn't that make the story a bit dull...and predictable...

besides isn't it somehow romantic and chivalrous...

besides do you honestly think that with JD's strong willful character she would just give up on him???

she even went to Macao...

Guest dunlop09

You have a point...but for the sake of the story, i'll try to defend it! lol. :lol:

I guess he doesn't want to burden JD with all that. If he told JD that they can't be together because he's afraid of what his mom will do to JD, she probably wouldn't let that happen. Remember that promise they made in ep 10? I think he would just rather spare JD all this.

But what I really think the reason is, it's because of JP's personality. He does things that he thinks is best for JD just like how his mom does things she think is best for JP. But they don't really know that it is not what's best for them. And JP doesn't like to have things out of his control. So by doing that to JD he still maintains some level of control over the situation.

Guest funkindagirl

Well here's my take on why he just doesnt tell her.

I remember in Ep. 10 that he made JD promise that no matter what his mum does she cant run away from him. Yet JP has done exactly that...he's run away from JD BECAUSE of his mother. And I think he has a certain pride that doesnt want to admit that to JD after telling her that...and doesnt want her to perceive him as weak.

And maybe also because he wants to protect JD. If he was to tell her about the promise, knowing JD she'd go confront his evil mother and things might not turn out so well for her in the long run. His mother would probably make JD and her family's life worse.

You have a point...but for the sake of the story, i'll try to defend it!

I guess he doesn't want to burden JD with all that. If he told JD that they can't be together because he's afraid of what his mom will do to JD, she probably wouldn't let that happen. Remember that promise they made in ep 10? I think he would just rather spare JD all this.

But what I really think the reason is, it's because of JP's personality. He does things that he thinks is best for JD just like how his mom does things she think is best for JP. But they don't really know that it is not what's best for them. And JP doesn't like to have things out of his control. So by doing that to JD he still maintains some level of control over the situation.

I agree with you. One note -- he made her promise; I don't think he ever promised to not leave because of his mother.

I mean ..why doesn't JD tell JP that his mother hired Jahae to break them up? Why doesn't JD tell JP that his mother offered a bribe to her and her family to leave JP alone? Sometimes, you don't say anything because it would hurt the other person more. And, maybe he didn't want her to choose between him and her family. She has enough burden as is. As convoluted as it sounds, sometimes loving someone means letting them go to protect that person.

Guest funkindagirl

^ LOL he's wearing socks with his own face on it?! haha i find that hilarious, thats so something KHJ would do.

but then who wouldnt be proud to have their own personal socks with their own picture on it. =P

Guest Chianna

OMG that is so cute. I've starting watching the KHJ we got married episodes he's such an oddball.

Hi welcome to the reason I have such a hard time sympathising with Jun Pyo over this break-up.

I agree with you. One note -- he made her promise; I don't think he ever promised to not leave because of his mother.

I mean ..why doesn't JD tell JP that his mother hired Jahae to break them up? Why doesn't JD tell JP that his mother offered a bribe to her and her family to leave JP alone? Sometimes, you don't say anything because it would hurt the other person more. And, maybe he didn't want her to choose between him and her family. She has enough burden as is. As convoluted as it sounds, sometimes loving someone means letting them go to protect that person.

Junpyo never promised to leave because of the mom, it was Jandi who promised never to leave Junpyo because of the mom. So I guess if Jandi founf out about the promise netween the mom and Junpyo, it would give her a reason to leave Junpyo.

OMG that is so cute. I've starting watching the KHJ we got married episodes he's such an oddball.

Hi welcome to the reason I have such a hard time sympathising with Jun Pyo over this break-up.

KHJ is really cute. You should watch him on Thank You for Waking me Up... He's such a sleepy head...

nope, they never got together. i read it a long time ago, so i'm not 100% sure, but i think yuuki (ga eul's character) moved away.

In the manga after gaeul led yujing the the spot were his name and sarah merged at daybreak, yijung said thank you and told gaeul that this is also the reason why i could never be with you. Gaeul character says she understands and agreed to sleep with him, she said that having beautiful memories is enough for her.

I doubt though that the kdrama would follow this story.

Guest flower pot

Hi guys... just want to share a new MV i made... a little angsty since it chronicles Junpyo's feelings about his separation with Jandi...

Thanks for all your explanations guys, I like most of the reasons you have given but whilst I realise JP not telling JD the truth straight away makes better drama, I think my main problem was with what he said to her, surely there is a better way of breaking up with someone, especially someone he sill loves than saying all the hurtful things he said to her. I thought he was really cruel. It’s like he was messing with her emotions. Even in the manga, JP’s character wasn’t this cruel when he went to NY, I just think some of the things he said were unnecessary. Also, about the promise, shouldn’t JP have more faith in JD, after all she did promise she will not run from him because of his mum, so if he told her the truth, they can BOTH stand up to his mum, together, not him trying to be her protector and hurting her at the same time. Maybe he doesn’t believe their love is that strong to stand up against his evil mum!

Guest polaris

HyunJoong and Hwangbo were my favorite couple. I think if people watch "we got married" they would totally fall in love in Kim Hyun Joong. .. and in some sense better understand Hyun Joong's acting as Jihoo. He has the quirkiest sense of humor and quite witty ^^..

Guest funkindagirl

Thanks for all your explanations guys, I like most of the reasons you have given but whilst I realise JP not telling JD the truth straight away makes better drama, I think my main problem was with what he said to her, surely there is a better way of breaking up with someone, especially someone he sill loves than saying all the hurtful things he said to her. I thought he was really cruel. It’s like he was messing with her emotions. Even in the manga, JP’s character wasn’t this cruel when he went to NY, I just think some of the things he said were unnecessary. Also, about the promise, shouldn’t JP have more faith in JD, after all she did promise she will not run from him because of his mum, so if he told her the truth, they can BOTH stand up to his mum, together, not him trying to be her protector and hurting her at the same time. Maybe he doesn’t believe their love is that strong to stand up against his evil mum!

Yeah he was extremely harsh, but then again I think he was just venting at her.

He'd just seen loads of pictures previously of JD & JH together and was probably frustrated and angry at his dilemma and in that moment he could've wanted JD to experience some of his pain that he was going through.

And I dont think he felt he could tell her because he had the huge pressure and responsibility of taking over the company after his dad died and that wouldnt really be the right time to have a big confrontation with his mum.

Yeah he was extremely harsh, but then again I think he was just venting at her.

He'd just seen loads of pictures previously of JD & JH together and was probably frustrated and angry at his dilemma and in that moment he could've wanted JD to experience some of his pain that he was going through.

And I dont think he felt he could tell her because he had the huge pressure and responsibility of taking over the company after his dad died and that wouldnt really be the right time to have a big confrontation with his mum.

His words got me really upset because it was cruel and unwarranted. Now I think I have a fairly good idea why he did that. First of all, he knew that his every movement was being monitored by his mom so that scene at the bridge was all an act to show her that he broke off his relationship with JD. Proof of that was when he barged in his mom's office and asked her if she was happy with what he did. Second, he already made up his mind to permanently let JD go to keep her safe. By being cruel to her, he knew that she'll be hurt at the outset but then, he probably thought it would be easier for her to forget him. Had JP told her the truth, JD would surely not go with his plan of a break up and stay by his side even if it meant putting her life on the line. But as we all know, it was easier said than done for JP who must have regretted his action and thus, tried to call her and followed her around culminating at the airport where JD vented her anger on him. It was obvious when he broke down that he could not bear to let her go. In their hearts, I think JP and JD know that they still love each other. JP kind of redeemed himself when he followed them at the airport. JD on the other hand was also trying to reach out to him when she sang at the party. Now both of them are at a stalement with JD thinking JP no longer loves her when he ran off with JK and JP also thinking that JD may be falling for his best friend, JH. With JK hanging around JP and JH staying close to JD, it's gonna get worse before it gets better for both of them.