[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

To everyone who is asking, YES episode 17 will be airing tomorrow (Tuesday).

This has already been mentioned numerous times. Please be sure to go back a few pages and read as this thread tends to move pretty fast.

Also chasen8888 please go back and edit your post and remove the %7Boption%7D tags. Images are not to be quoted as per Soompi's rules

We don't want to give the mods any reason to give us another warning (as we've already received one) or have the thread closed.

Ep17 will be aired this week, yes. Same time, same place. :)

Edit.

Eek, once again i'm slower. :P

Anyhow... just to make my post... less wasted i guess hehe--

Does anyone else feel that the music featured in the BOF Special's BTS and NG scenes are going to be a part of the second OST? I really hope so, they sounded very pleasing to the ears-- not that vol.1 wasn't pleasing to the ears. :sweatingbullets: ~

Guest funkindagirl

Can someone explain how the ratings work? In Happy Together JH said he guessed the rating to be 21% for the 1st epi but the rest of the crew got it right because they guessed it would be closer to 14% and that 21% is hard to achieve.

I'm looking at the ratings at http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Boys_Before_Flow...Episode_Ratings

How is it BOF got to No 1 on 01/26 with 19.5% and climbs all the way to 33.2% and is still No 2? I know EOE is not no. 1. Which drama is? And why is BOF's ranking always compared to EOE and not the drama on the no.1 spot

Any clarification about this ranking system would help :)

Well generally, popular, or heavily promoted dramas start off in that range about 14%-/16% (which is considered quite a strong start) for the first episodes and then they climb higher. I believe Coffee Prince, Goong, Jumong etc which were all very well received started off in the teens and then ratings soared like BOF has. Its not really usual for a drama starting out to get ratings in the 20s.

And we compare BOF to other dramas airing in the same time slot i.e. EOE. There is another drama that receives higher ratings than BOF but it doesnt air at the same time so we dont really take much notice of that as its not directly competing.

You are right, those prices are crazy. Believe me you can be poor but have a sharp fashion sense and thrifty at the same time.

Question - don't they have thrift or bargain stores in Korea? LOL :rolleyes: , (When I travel, that's one of the first things I look for in shopping, drastically cut prices sales and thrift stores, you will be amazed at the fantastic deals you can get doing this). They showed her mom and her at a sale one time, but the items they got left much to be desired. JD in light of her "financial situation", should have repeated her clothes in one form or the other, I don't see that here. Being the creative person that she is, combos could with the old /familiar outfit can work. The PDs can try that instead, with what has already been done. They can also show a "new side of JD" , fashion sense JD, that part is somewhat retrievable.

Well its water over the bridge, it gone bad already. To be honest, I prefer JD in a regular jeans, funky T-shirt and sneakers, that way she will appeal to everyone more. PDs use this style when she starts college at least.

Yeah I wonder if there's such a thing as bargain stores in Korea too. lol.

When my mum went to Korea (not sure which part of Seoul) but she said everything there was soo expensive she was quite shocked. Haha and she searched everywhere for places to buy kdramas and couldnt find anywhere. But fashion in Korea is beautiful, she came back with some stunning clothes.

I suppose if they are really GHS's clothes in reality then she wouldnt really be bargain hunting, probably wouldnt have a lot of cheap clothes.

I prefer JD in regular jeans too, sometimes she's a bit too overdressed its hard to believe in her situation.

On the upside they're promoting lots of brands which makes a lot of people happy.

hope someone will sub the F4 special, really want to know what HJ said. pleasssssseeee

Check the first post of this page. Its subbed there.

Guest dunlop09

http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shel...mp;newssetid=83

Goo Hye Sun returns to filming straight after discharge

written by: 김형우

translated by: dunlop09

20090303080744376e7_082117_0.jpg

Goo Hye Sun, who was hospitalized after a car accident on the 27th, was discharged on the evening of the 2nd. Goo Hye Sun went straight to filming after her discharge around 11 PM, and worked throughout the night.

A representative stated over the phone, “Goo Hye Sun joined the filming after her discharge on the 2nd. Though the filming started late and went throughout the night, she had so much enthusiasm that we were done with no problems at all.

On the 27th, Goo Hye Sun was in a car accident while moving from one set to another, and was hospitalized. Due to the large tear in her lip, she had to be hospitalized and receive treatment until the 2nd.

Due to her injury, in was decided that “Boys Over Flowers” would be canceled on the 2nd. Instead, an F4 talk show was broadcasted.

Goo Hye Sun's condition has improved. Her swelling has gone done enough for her to be able to eat certain foods. However, there is still discomfort due to the large amount of lines she must speak.

The representative revealed, “We did our best to modify the script so that her lines could be as least as possible. I just hope the viewers would appreciate people like Goo Hye Sun, who has been so strong throughout all these ordeals.”

Yeah, I kind of feel bad for her. It sucks to not have your feelings reciprocated.

On another note, did you guys all see the new 45s episode 17 preview? I´m falling more and more in love with JH that I don´t really care about JP that much anymore! :crazy:

I actually don't feel too bad for JK at all. I don't exactly hate her, but she is very annoying. It's interesting how during JP's birthday party, Mama Kang tells JD that the next wife should be at least of JK's standard/level. However, so far, the show hasn't shown anything admirable or enviable about JK other than her rich parents. Usually, in Korean dramas the rival is always someone who is "perfect" (perfect family background, perfect manners, perfect appearance, and perfect education). I don't know if this is how JK's character is written in the original manga, but in this drama, she's almost none of these things. Sure, she has rich parents, but she has no education that we know of, no friends, no manners, no class, and her voice really is annoying. It's not just her voice either, it's her whole manner of speaking. She's missing that refined level of speech that the main female rival normally possesses.

Also, I don't feel sorry for her because she doesn't really like JP. JK is basically a spoiled brat who finally saw something that she couldn't have and decided she wanted it. She's just like a child who cries and cries for the moon but has no idea what they will do once they get the moon. There's no progression showing why she likes JP--she simply loves him all of a sudden.

JP is also spoiled, but at least his parents saw to it that he be well-trained and prepared to take over running the Shinhwa corporation one day. JK's parents apparently left her to just travel the world and become a "free spirit". However, what they ended up with is a spoiled girl with no people skills. She has no idea how to interact with other people, which isn't surprising given she was never given the opportunity to make any friends. Rather than someone who grew up privileged with rich parents, JK's character fits more of what we call the "Lotto Millionaire", someone who grows up poor and uneducated (not implying that poor=uneducated) and suddenly comes into a lot of money.

Guest lilnahnah

^

lol but those arent supposed to be expensive in the drama i think

its probably her actual clothing or someting

but yea she does wear extremely expensive stuff 0_0

Exactly... I mean, part of how dramas (as well as anything...like movies) get funding to film is product endorsement within the story...

And what better way to do it than to place your main characters in clothes designers want to display...

and if the drama's a big a hit as BoF, then ta-da! Instant success while everyone scrambles to get similar clothes lol

But yeah, because it is a drama I've always just assumed you have to use your imagination and pretend that they aren't brand-name clothes...

Anyhow... just to make my post... less wasted i guess hehe--

Does anyone else feel that the music featured in the BOF Special's BTS and NG scenes are going to be a part of the second OST? I really hope so, they sounded very pleasing to the ears-- not that vol.1 wasn't pleasing to the ears. :sweatingbullets: ~

I feel this way. I really liked the music and to be honest, during the recap I was like, why on earth didn't they use something like this for this scene before? lols. Not that I don't like the first OST or anything..I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the 2nd OST comes out :)

http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shel...mp;newssetid=83

Goo Hye Sun returns to filming straight after discharge

written by: 김형우

translated by: dunlop09

Ah thank you for sharing this with us! Hye Sun is a very dedicated and proffessional actress :) Am glad to hear that she is doing better and glad to see her back, working hard and enthusiastically, although I wish she would take another few days of rest.

Can someone explain how the ratings work? In Happy Together JH said he guessed the rating to be 21% for the 1st epi but the rest of the crew got it right because they guessed it would be closer to 14% and that 21% is hard to achieve.

I'm looking at the ratings at http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Boys_Before_Flow...Episode_Ratings

How is it BOF got to No 1 on 01/26 with 19.5% and climbs all the way to 33.2% and is still No 2? I know EOE is not no. 1. Which drama is? And why is BOF's ranking always compared to EOE and not the drama on the no.1 spot

Any clarification about this ranking system would help :)

BOF is compared with East of Eden so much because they air on the same night. The no. 1 show is You are my Destiny which has been no. 1 since last fall. On January 26 I think the Chinese New Year was still being celebrated and so everyone was too busy visiting friends etc to watch TV that night. All tv ratings on Jan 26 were very low.

Guest funkindagirl

'Boys Over Flowers' needs to tone down?

KBS is joining in the race with SBS to create more (age?) appropriate television programming with the outpouring of complaints over the depiction of violence in KBS2TV's BOF.

In January alone, the hot drama managed 21 out of 201 complaint letters and KBS is finding it hard to turn a blind eye. With complaints of bullying, school violence, sexual harrassment and elevation of affluence against the less well-off, it was announced today that KBS representatives are in talks with the production team to extend some 'restraint' on the following plotlines. Chances of BOF turning into a PG program is reportedly very high.

credit:seoulbeats

(Well...I think this idea sucks. And whats really the point now we're over halfway through the drama)

Goo Hye Sun's condition has improved. Her swelling has gone done enough for her to be able to eat certain foods. However, there is still discomfort due to the large amount of lines she must speak.

The representative revealed, 'We did our best to modify the script so that her lines could be as least as possible. I just hope the viewers would appreciate people like Goo Hye Sun, who has been so strong throughout all these ordeals'

Well I just hope the production team appreciates such a dedicated actress like GHS and let her have a rest now and again and not work her to the bone.

Guest dreampryncezz

hehe, what a fun discussion!

I actually don't feel too bad for JK at all. I don't exactly hate her, but she is very annoying. It's interesting how during JP's birthday party, Mama Kang tells JD that the next wife should be at least of JK's standard/level. However, so far, the show hasn't shown anything admirable or enviable about JK other than her rich parents. Usually, in Korean dramas the rival is always someone who is "perfect" (perfect family background, perfect manners, perfect appearance, and perfect education). I don't know if this is how JK's character is written in the original manga, but in this drama, she's almost none of these things. Sure, she has rich parents, but she has no education that we know of, no friends, no manners, no class, and her voice really is annoying. It's not just her voice either, it's her whole manner of speaking. She's missing that refined level of speech that the main female rival normally possesses.

I guess I like her character very much so I'm coming from a different perspective. Ok, first regarding her manners: yes, she's a little blunt and not as refined as the female rivals should be, but this makes it all the more interesting. I think she doesn't need to hide under the pretenses of having perfect manners and perfect education. She probably had an amazing education considering how many languages she can speak; and I doubt her parents would give her the company if she's not somewhat qualified. Sometimes it's very hard to be perfect b/c it means you have to be pretty rigid. I like how she is able to blend it with commoners. It is not that she doesn't want to make friends or that she can't, but maybe that she never found the need? Sometime people like having that support system of friends and enjoying them. She might be a person that is more individualistic--traveling from place to place and doing things her parents want her to do. She doesn't know what having friends IS. You can't blame someone if they don't know. It's like GJP doesn't know what having a family is.

Also, I don't feel sorry for her because she doesn't really like JP. JK is basically a spoiled brat who finally saw something that she couldn't have and decided she wanted it. She's just like a child who cries and cries for the moon but has no idea what they will do once they get the moon. There's no progression showing why she likes JP--she simply loves him all of a sudden.

I doubt she's IN LOVE with him, but she does like him. Sometimes it's ok to like someone suddenly. It is childish, but that's the very definition of puppy love. Because of this, she probably fantasized about what kind of future she would want with him. Because of this, it makes it all the harder to let go of the fantasies. It's not HIM she's in love with, but this ideal. Therefore, those emotions she has are real. Hence, I feel bad for her. You can't help suddenly liking someone; and you can't just stop liking him. When you were little, didn't you just have a crush on a boy just because she seemed cool? I think that's the same idea.

We can argue that GJP starded liking JD for the same reason.

JP is also spoiled, but at least his parents saw to it that he be well-trained and prepared to take over running the Shinhwa corporation one day. JK's parents apparently left her to just travel the world and become a "free spirit". However, what they ended up with is a spoiled girl with no people skills. She has no idea how to interact with other people, which isn't surprising given she was never given the opportunity to make any friends. Rather than someone who grew up privileged with rich parents, JK's character fits more of what we call the "Lotto Millionaire", someone who grows up poor and uneducated (not implying that poor=uneducated) and suddenly comes into a lot of money.

I think that her people skills are ok. It's a little strange, but I wouldn't mind becoming friends with her. She's kinda funny and entertaining. I think the way she treated Woobin and Yiyung (?) was on purpose because she knew that they are trying to seduce her; she's smart. lol.

Anyway, just defending her because I don't think JK is that bad. I think she's just different; and her character is refreshing from what you usually see in other female rivals. She has this innocence about her.

Guest omgit'sme

did anyone sub the long previews for ep17 and 18?

and also, I really can't hate Jae Kyung, I dunno why, I mean I feel like I should but I don't find her annoying at all...

i feel bad for her actually

Guest dreampryncezz

Geum Jandi isn't exactly THAT poor

This wouldn't be such a big deal for non-fashionistas out there. But a brand conscious country like South Korea can spot a Marc Jacobs bag a mile a way. Especially if it's in HD. Because of this, viewers are requesting the show's co-ods (style coordinators) to fix these discrepancies on Goo Hye Sun's character.

Well, it's too late for that now. The show's got a few more epis left before it ends. Nonetheless, it will be nice to see Jandi in 'real people' clothes. I don't think my heart can bear the envy if I see her in another signature item.

Even though her clothing is so expensive (b/c duh, it's Korea and people like wearing expensive stuff)...I don't really like them on her. I wished they made her prettier. If they are going to put her in expensive clothing anyway, might as well make her HOT. But i guess that won't be fitting to the character she plays.

I wonder if we'll see her dress more like a University student! That'd be super cute.

and also, I really can't hate Jae Kyung, I dunno why, I mean I feel like I should but I don't find her annoying at all...

i feel bad for her actually

Yeah, me neither. I really wish I can hate her, but I really can't. I feel like she's an innocent bystander in all this. She just likes a guy...I mean, if we had the chance, wouldn't we all like GJP? lol

Guest fiery4hand

...wuts with BOF and car accidents T_T....kinda strange....but im glad nothing severe has happened to any of the cast ^_^

YAY BOF xD!!!!!!!!!!

KBS is joining in the race with SBS to create more (age?) appropriate television programming with the outpouring of complaints over the depiction of violence in KBS2TV's BOF.

In January alone, the hot drama managed 21 out of 201 complaint letters and KBS is finding it hard to turn a blind eye. With complaints of bullying, school violence, sexual harrassment and elevation of affluence against the less well-off, it was announced today that KBS representatives are in talks with the production team to extend some 'restraint' on the following plotlines. Chances of BOF turning into a PG program is reportedly very high.

(Well...I think this idea sucks. And whats really the point now we're over halfway through the drama)

Well I just hope the production team appreciates such a dedicated actress like GHS and let her have a rest now and again and not work her to the bone.

I don't think that BBF is the only victim here. Currently and in the past, there have been numerous dramas the depict class separation and superiority. Not only that, there are a lot dramas that depict violence. I think that people have to understand that dramas do not always depict real life, it's more of a way for people to escape the real world and dive into a fantasy world. To change BBF into a PG program, I personally think it wouldn't be that good. If violence seems to be the problem, why air shows like BBF during times when people are at home? Why not air them while young children are away at school. BBF showing violence doesn't mean that children or anyone else will be more violent. People understand that this drama is based on a comic book and is not reality. Changing the BBF to PG status just isn't fair.

Guest XiahxTiffany

wow who is complaining about BOF being too mature or bad for people?

really i mean theres nothing bad about the plot or anything

this is like a typical plot for most great dramas so i dont understand the problem..

Guest doremii*

I'm completely clueless about brandnames so I had no idea that Jandi was wearing all those expensive clothes lol like that ostrich sweat.. it's really that expensive? lol

Guest aaclove

just putting in my random 2 cents about the F4 Special...

WOOOOW. it was so awkward - some parts were too uncomfortable for ME to sit through. maybe it's because the entire show was put together last minute, but it feels like the actors aren't very close with each other. the MCs did a fairly poor job covering the program as well.

can't wait till tomorrow's episode :)

Im sure once the ratings drop, KBS will be changing its tune again. Im not necessarily stating that its so called 'violent' depictions, etc etc are acceptable but people are watching this because its a total fantasy and the manga clearly portrays this so what is the point of doing it now when the drama is pretty much over in like 2 weeks time.

EDIT- also it should be noted that this piece of news isnt making any waves at the DC forum (and believe me they make TONS of noise) so i dont think they will change this drama all that much.