[Drama 2009 Movie 2010] IRIS 아이리스

rubie

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest joynara

Recap for Ep. 13:

I'm going to pick up from where taizhu has left off, and fill the gaps.

--The episode picks up with CSH being captured by the terror squad. HJ wants to go to her, but KSH constantly holds him back. When the leader ask HJ if he knows SH--he says no. I think he tells them she must have joined after he left. She says nothing. Most of the baddies threaten to kill her right away.

The leader wants to kill SH right away, because a) he doesn't know/care who she is & B) they're running out of time. But one of the terrorists recognizes her from the NSS attack and the female agent wants to avenge their companions' deaths immediately, when the hacker guy stops her & whispers something to the leader/Cap.

Cap: Kim HyunJoon, do you know this woman?

HJ: [beat] No. I don't know anyone from the NSS outside my team/department.

Cap: [looks at SH for a beat] Take her away. Hurry up!

-SW takes his team to "capture" the terrorists, but of course they were tipped off and have already left. I was so mad because he knows this but some of his team were killed due to booby traps left behind. Someone from the team finds CSH car and he realizes that she was captured.

You have every right to hate SW's guts :) but in this case, as soon as he found out SeungHee was on her way to the warehouse, he knew she was in danger & wanted to capture the terrorists, or at least get to SH before it was too late. He may have tipped off Baek San about the warehouse, but he doesn't know what steps were taken afterward (I get the impression IRIS is so big that unless you're really at the top, you don't know who's doing what or even who may be a member) & doesn't know whether they left or not. Back at the NSS HQ, they're trying to provide SW's SWAT teams with satellite support (circa ep. 2) but they're having problems, and SangHyun warns SW not to go ahead & to remain on standby until they can establish a connection. But SW wants to get into the warehouse, & gives the go ahead, not realizing that a) it was empty & B) the terrorists had set up a booby trap (3 casualties). Fast-forward to SW mad @SangHyun for the continued problems with the satellite, as there's absolutely nothing left they can do to find SeungHee or track the terrorists.

@the terrorists' new hideout (which looks like a corporate building)--

HJ's pacing in an office, and SunHwa gives an update (that SeungHee's held at the basement) & tells him that she's safe if what they want is information.

HJ: But what happens once they get the information? They'll kill her then. I have to save her before.

SunHwa: I know how frantic you must be, but you need to keep your cool. These are elite agents. If something goes wrong, and you get killed, we won't even get a chance to stop the nuclear attack.

Gathering in a conference room, where Cap finally tells the group what their mission is about--to thwart the inter-Korean summit. How so? By detonating a nuclear bomb in downtown Seoul. Tells them what they got out of the NSS was a detonator, which combined with enriched uranium becomes a nuclear weapon.

SunHwa: Where's the nuclear weapon?

Cap: Can't tell you yet. Neither date nor location has been set either.

Terrorist: Why did we keep that girl alive?

Hacker: She's a counter-terrorist team leader at the NSS. Her name is Choi SeungHee. (They got the details out of her registered gun.) She has security clearance for classified intelligence/information. If we can get the security code/password out of her, it should help us a lot.

Terrorist: I'll do it then. We should avenge A1 & A2's deaths as well.

Cap: (looks at HJ) Kim HyunJoon. You find out. You're both NSS agents, so you should know how best to interrogate her. Use any means, but find out as quickly as you can.

@NSS--

SaWoo's back at the HQ because they've clearly reached a dead-end, is furious/wants to find out why they can't get the satellite (tracking) support (connection problems with the server), and starts to rake the geeky personnel over the coals (when the hacker girl starts to protest, that he's getting out of line, he loses it even more, yelling that they wouldn't have lost SeungHee with the satellite). SangHyun tries to pacify him, but now SW's mad @him too ('is it any wonder the HQ comes under attack?!') causing SangHyun to yell back 'ENOUGH!'. SW storms off and SangHyun makes excuses for him (8 agents are in critical condition) & asks hacker girl to convene a counter-terrorist meeting.

Brief interlude, where forensic lab doctor & SeungHee's friend talk about SH possibly being the terrorists' hostage (doctor wondering why she went there on her own, and SH's friend shares it's b/c of HJ).

@the counter-terrorist meeting-- SangHyun fills in the team what he'd shared with SW in the prev. eps., ie. that the reason they need to track the terrorists is because they're planning a nuclear attack, that they stole the detonator from the R&D room, that from now on, the counter-terrorist team is on full terror alert, that all private communication with the outside world will be forbidden, that they can't share this with the other departments at the NSS. [joynara: why not?]

After the meeting, TaeSung/geeky guy shares his suspicions re: SaWoo with SangHyun (that the warehouse in AnYang was at the top of the list he gave to SW). SangHyun (stunned): Then why was it left out?/TaeSung: That's what's strange.

Meanwhile, SaWoo places a call to Baek San (who's back in Seoul & at the Blue House when he gets the call)--

SW: There's something I have to tell you... Choi SeungHee has been captured by the terrorists.

Baek San: What are you saying? Why Choi SeungHee?

SW: I'm sorry... I should have stopped her/prevented it in advance, but I was caught off guard.

And Baek San finishes the call, as he has to attend a meeting with the President. Everyone (minus Baek San) very cheery about the progress & preparations with the summit, but the President finally shares what he'd heard from Baek San after the NSS attack, ie. that a group of terrorists is preparing a nuclear attack. The consternated cabinet people immediately want to put a stop to the summit & declare a national emergency, but the President is resolute & more determined than ever (that postponing the summit won't guarantee they'll get another chance, that this is what the terrorists are after, etc.) Chief of Staff suggests alerting the Central Intelligence & the Special Forces at least, but President says not yet and places Baek San in charge ('the NSS must take care of this crisis').

Another interlude, this time with hacker girl daydreaming(?) about Vick, but someone else will have to recap/translate, because I absolutely cannot sit through it. I can say that she calls someone (Vick?) and asks him when he's coming to Seoul, tells him not to ('don't ask me why').

@terrorists' hideout--

SunHwa & hacker guy who's hacking into SeungHee's laptop. SunHwa has a brief flashback to Cap ordering the agents to kill SeungHee as soon as HyunJoon gets the security code out of her.

--The hacker hacks into CSH laptop and starts digging through her files. They find her stash on Hungary and see a picture of Park Chul Young and KSH. This raises their suspicions that HJ is lying. When the hacker leaves to tell the boss, KSH hops onto the computer and deletes all the pictures that show HJ and SH together

Suspicions raised once they confirm with SunHwa that HyunJoon was in Hungary too at the time. (Hacker guy: 'These two may know each other.')

--During HJ interrogation of CSH, he tries to communicate with her through morse code with his fingers. He also gave her a long look before he hit her, as if asking her is this OK?. She might have nodded slightly (but I am not sure). But ooooh, the hitting was so vicious. So much worse than I could have imagined. He beat her to unconsciousness. He basically did it so that the terrorists would not torture her with the truth serum. But it failed, and after she woke up they did it anyway.

HJ: I was a former agent of the NSS. I know all too well what instructions you must follow as an NSS agent under capture. But you probably can guess what the price of silence & refusal to talk might be. You'll confess everything anyway, so let's not waste time & let's get it over with. What we need is the security code for the classified intelligence you deal with.

SH: If you were an NSS agent, you should know my security clearance was discarded the moment I was captured.

HJ: I'll decide if that's the case. (Leans forward) What's the security code? [taps his fingers in morse code] Don't reveal the code. You'll die the moment you do.

Rooftop of the building-- Cap asks the terrorists how the interrogation's going. Terrorist informs it's taking too long, and requests he be placed in charge. Cap orders instead the injection of truth serum.

Basement--

HJ: If this takes any longer, I'll have to torture you.

SH: If you were an NSS agent, what's the reason you became a terrorist? Why did you betray the NSS, the Republic of Korea, and your colleagues? Whatever the reason, remember that nothing can justify your choice.

HJ: Shut up, and just answer the question.

Enter the terrorists with the truth serum; and that's when he starts to beat her & knock her unconscious. Cap's furious (told you to interrogate her, are you trying to kill her?) & orders they wake her up for the truth serum. HJ tries to tell him that the NSS agents are trained for this & she won't reveal anything, but Cap says he'll decide & orders the injection, against SeungHee's protest.

Back at the NSS-- Baek San places a call to someone (unheard, unseen; we only see Vick by his side, handing him the phone), says something unexpected has happened, and requests that SeungHee not be killed (though at this point in the scene, she's not referred by name).

Terrorist hideout-- Under the influence of the truth serum, SeungHee reveals her name & department (NSS counter-terrorist unit), but not the security code. So Cap orders more injection, when he gets THE call. We only hear him tell the caller that she's being interrogated to get the code, no clue who the caller might be, and once the call's over, Cap orders that SeungHee be let go, to the stunned reactions of everyone, placing SunHwa & HyunJoon in charge for the release.

--During the torture, the terrorist leader gets a call and I think he is told to let SH go. HJ and KSH take her to SW's home. HJ sits with her in the back seat and holds her tenderly. So sad, because she is not conscious and he cannot explain himself. He leaves her on SW's doorstep.

HyunJoon (to the unconscious SH): I've become a monster, like you worried, and I don't think I can go back to who I was. Please erase me from your memories.

@Hotel where the summit preparations are under way, and the North Korean general has arrived:

ChulYoung (says they've cleared the room of bugs): As soon as you give the order, we can demand that the summit be stopped, using the bomb as a leverage. (Becomes clear he just wants to threaten, not actually detonate it.)

General: There's no need. That bomb must go off in Seoul. It will be sold as a courageous act by our republic's warriors.

CY (stunned): Are you trying to provoke a Korean war?

General: You're right. It will trigger the US' intervention and the republic will pay a terrible price. But if our request for mediation to the UN Security Council goes through, the two Koreas will see a ceasefire again.

CY: Many of our people will have to suffer even more than they do right now.

General: There will be casualties. But the Chairman's republic has no future. With this war, I will establish a younger & stronger republic. Key members of the party & the army have already aligned themselves with me. And you will play a critical role with me in the establishment of this new republic.

CY (reeling): The reason I wanted to stop this summit was because it wasn't the reunification I'd hoped for. It's because the reunification I wanted wasn't a reunification where we're weak & have to beg on our knees. It's beause I didn't want more humiliation for our people who'd put up with so much disgrace by entrusting their faith in the Chairman & taking pride in the republic. And it's because I believed one day the republic would recover its power.

General: I didn't know you were such an idealist.

Rooftop of a building--

ChulYoung: What's the status on the bomb?

Cap: It's being assembled according to our plans. We're also taping it per your instructions.

CY: Stop the plans. (They're joining the detonator with the uranium.) Send the recording to the NSS & the Blue House, and release a communique demanding the summit to be called off. That will be enough to pressure the South.

Cap: I can't do it. / CY: What did you just say?

Cap: I said I can't follow that order. My orders were to complete the bomb & detonate it in Seoul.

CY: I have never given such order.

Cap: The chain of command for this mission/operation lies with [General Yeon]. I'm sorry.

@SeungHee's home--where she re-lives her ordeal & whispers to herself 'Tell me. Tell me what's happened.'

@NSS HQ-- SaWoo's lost in thought, SangHyun asks how SeungHee's doing (she's been discharged from the hospital) and comforts SW telling him it wasn't his fault she was captured.

SangHyun: TaeSung says that warehouse was on the list he gave to you. Didn't you know it? / SW: No, I didn't.

SangHyun: If what he says is true, it means someone messed up with the list... I think there's a traitor inside the firm. [stares SaWoo in the face, before he goes off to see Baek San.]

Baek San: How's CSH? / SangHyun: She's been discharged from the hospital & is resting at her home.

Baek San: Don't let her come to work until further orders.

SangHyun: There's something I have to tell you... I think there's a leak inside. / Baek San: Your reasons?

SangHyun: It's strange that the satellite server went out just as we were about to raid the terrorists, and I have circumstantial evidence that one of the most probable locations was left out of the list.

Baek San: Who do you suspect? / SangHyun: It's Jin SaWoo. What should I do?

Baek San: I'll order Internal Affairs to look into this, so don't worry about it any more.

One of SaWoo & Baek San's clandestine meetings outdoors--

Baek San: There are those who suspect you inside the NSS. There's a limit to how much I can protect you, so watch out. [hands him a dated picture of the Voice] This is someone who has fought our organization for the past 30 years. His name is Yoo JungHoon. We call him 'The Doctor'. He was one of the nuclear physicists involved in President Park(ChungHee)'s nuclear program. The organization has tried to eliminate him over the years, but we failed each time. But we now have information he's back in Korea. If he's back here, it's probably because of Kim HyunJoon. That photograph is your only clue. Find him.

--We all know that the NSS team leader suspects SW of being a mole. Also, the hacker girl saw him digging around suspiciously on the computer trying to discover the identity of the "Voice". He successfully puts together a picture of him and takes it to the science guy who helps him inadvertently discover that identity.

--Towards the end, SW and the other henchmen go with Baek San to eliminate the "Voice". This is when I finally feel that SW has gone to the "dark-side" in my heart. He kills so ruthlessly. I hate him right now.

--Baek San and the henchmen kill all of the Voice's men until only the Voice is left. He cannot move, of course, so he is unable to defend himself. Baek San comes inside to gloat. But the Voice has a hidden video camera and turns it on. The feed goes to HJ's phone (HJ had been trying to contact him). SW and KSH try to go rush over there.

--While Baek San is gloating, SW comes into the room. Through the video on the cellphone, HJ can see that SW is a member of IRIS and firmly on Baek San's side. He actually seems devastated and I believe he was holding out hope until now that SW was just following orders and was not truly a "bad" guy.

--Baek San kills the Voice--it was terrible waiting for it to happen. And watching on the video, HJ cries out! That was the end...ugh....

You got the gist, and it has to be watched to be believed (and appreciated as a drama). I'll just translate the dialogue btw Baek San & the Doctor, which is very powerful (though the whole sequence from the moment they arrive at the compound is incredible, in terms of dramatic execution)--

Baek San: I didn't expect to see you like this. [joynara: guess he never knew he'd been left paralyzed.]

The Doctor: You've aged as well. (watches SaWoo et al. ruthlessly execute his security guards on the screen) But you're as cold-blooded as you used to be.

Baek San: It's the driving force that got me here. [joynara: can't make out what he says next as he plays with some of the surgical instruments.] You were my only failure, Doctor. [The Doctor turns on the video camera transmission in the room, allowing HyunJoon to track his location & witness the rest of the scene, as he & SunHwa rush to the compound.]

[Enters SaWoo: they've all been eliminated; HyunJoon's reeling to see SW there.] [baek San picks up a pillow.]

The Doctor: Don't presume this will be the end, as I wasn't the one who was going to end this.

Baek San: You can make such statement, even after all you went through all these years? Whether it's a nation, or an individual like you, Doctor, no entity which has opposed IRIS has survived. If it's HyunJoon you have in mind, cast away such belief. He's alive out of necessity, I can end him if I so decide. Any last word?

The Doctor: 'Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed.' The Book of Genesis 9:6.

Baek San: I will keep that in mind.

WHAT AN INTENSED EPISODE 13!!!!! :o

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13shshhj.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13sw.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13shhj.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13shash.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13sha.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13hjsh.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13hjsh2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13mjvick.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13shhj2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13cy.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13bssw.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13hj.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13vickwithIRIS.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/2uss2uss/kdramafanarts/IRIS/e13hjbs.jpg[/img]
[/codebox]

am I the only one who thinks that Seung Hee is the illigitimate child of Baek San? Why else would he ask a special favor to the man in the shadow for SH's safe return?

the torture scene of Hyung Jun beating the crap out of Seung Hee was absolutely gut wrenchingly heartbreaking. The way SH was looking up at him with her puppy dog eyes as HJ was about to lay the smackdown made me want to shed a man tear.

Guest Lilazinprincess

Thank you joynara and taizhu for your recaps of today's episode.

That quote the Doctor left us is very powerful indeed. It seems as the further in I go with IRIS, the more confuse on how I should accept the drama as a whole I become.

The possibility of what is to come next is starting to leave a bad taste....

Guest bleuwinter

am I the only one who thinks that Seung Hee is the illigitimate child of Baek San? Why else would he ask a special favor to the man in the shadow for SH's safe return?

You're not the only one, I did think about that. She has to be someone important to him or IRIS as a matter of fact. She gets away after breaking so many rules in NSS....if it was someone else, killed or fired...

Guest darkaz619

me to and maybe TOP is illigitimate child of Baek San to because what i saw in the preview.

I'm going to pick up from where taizhu has left off, and fill the gaps

The Doctor: 'Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed.' The Book of Genesis 9:6.

Baek San: I will keep that in min

joynara--what an amazing recap! thanks so much. also, I loved the last two lines of this episode--a perfect end to an intense, unforgetable scene. This was probably one of my favorite IRIS episodes to-date. I felt it didn't ascribe to the usual cliche's I see in spy movies/dramas (or at least saw them through a little differently). I agree that the only part of this episode that did not make sense was the part with TOP and the hacker girl (sorry for those who love TOP) but it just didn't seem central to any of the plot/action for this episode.

cksdayoff, lol at your man-tears. My woman-tears were falling all over the place

Just watching the captures of episode 13, it's no doubt one episode that's very, very hard to sit through.. IRIS is always incredibly intriguing after each episode but so depressing seeing the very painful emotions of the characters especially HJ. Not to lose himself (that died little by little each time) and save her in the most terrible and horrible way for this man. What a cruel way to protect the one you love. HJ hadn't cried since Hungary, he totally surpressed himself emotionally since Yuki died. This is the hardest blow, if only he could imagine it never happened -- but it all started with him. To beat up the woman he loves with his own hands (he would never ever forgive himself for doing this), to see his friend SW no longer the man he thought he knew (well, just as HJ is not who he was). I think from the cemetary scene in episode 12, seeing CSH and SW together.. he might be thinking that it's better off that CSH still has SW to lean on thus he sent her to the latter's house. But what a grave mistake that will be. SW and Baek San, no longer stoppable. And the third blow.. seeing his last link to his parents and the "truth" killed in front of his eyes and he can't do anything. [an error by the Voice to keep his wherabouts a secret even to HJ]

If Baek San is already a very ruthless chilling cruel character, I really can't imagine who's the mastermind behind IRIS.

[img=http://l.yimg.com/go/news/picture/2009/a3/20091126/20091126103907440a3_103907_0.jpg]
[img]http://l.yimg.com/go/news/picture/2009/l3/20091126/20091126003110813l3_095013_0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://l.yimg.com/go/news/picture/2009/94/20091126/2009112609222676594_093615_0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://l.yimg.com/go/news/picture/2009/e7/20091126/20091126071735219e7_072812_0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://l.yimg.com/go/news/picture/2009/33/20091126/2009112607570141033_080911_0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://l.yimg.com/go/news/picture/2009/l3/20091125/20091125232422843l3_081012_0.jpg[/img][/codebox]

Thanks [b]joynara[/b] for the insightful recap, totally the life to keep the IRIS thread going despite everything else. Thanks for your warm encouragement, too.. it really means a lot.

Guest badhairday8

Wednesday,November.25, 2009

Source : TNS Media Korea

1. [Mini Series] IRIS - KBS2 - 32

Got this from the Box Office @ TV Ratings thread. Hmmm.. I wonder why the ratings went down.

Episode 13 - Wednesday 25/11

TNS Rank l Nationwide - 32.0 l Seoul - 32.5

AGB Rank l Nationwide - ? l Seoul - ?

Episode 13 is a bit higher than last week's ep 12 ratings but not as high as the 34% for episodes 10 and 11.

Guest XingyZheng

quick question: can someone tell me the name of the song in ep 9 when the tech lady was singing at the party table? thanks in advance!

143v.jpg

Archived