If You're Not Korean/asian...

Guest g0bananas

Guest strawberry78

I got into it through my initial interest in Japanese stuff I guess, which I don't even remember how I got into that O____o"

..... that was only about a year ago, too. O__O

I think somehow it started when I randomly came across Gaki no Tsukai on youtube and from there I sought out more -> Japanese shows -> movies -> music... and since Korean entertainment is usually clumped in along with all that on other sites, I just decided to check it out to see what it was like. Needless to say, I liked what I saw/heard ^^

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think someone influenced me. i dont really remember.

but i think i got into kpop by being obsessed w/ korean dramas.

hahahah. i really like the ost. i feel like i can just listen to them over &over again.

my phone &my ipod are like full of kpop ;DDD

prolly almost as much as english songs that i have.

Guest Alice_Draconus

- If you're not Asian, how'd you get interested in Asian music?

Probably the same most whitey's like me did. By being a geek and watching anime. XD

..Well sorta-kinda. Anime itself didn't really really propel my interest in Asian music, (though it did help!) I'd say it was more hearing Ayumi Hamasaki by accident. (Yeah, It happens. 6th grade, typed something in on Google, don't know what it was, spelled it wrong, and Google asked 'Did you mean Ayumi Hamasaki?', hmm..Click.)

- So, if you're not Korean, how'd you get interested in Korean music?

Listening to Japanese music will almost always lead you to listening to Korean music at least once. In my case though, I'm known for randoming downloading music whenever I find it, and the name Super Junior sounded so ridiculous I just had to download it. ;D

I'm Chinese and Vietnamese.

I avoided listening to any songs that was sung in my language(s).

My dad used to listen to (still does, actually) a bunch of traditional songs.

And I wasn't much of big fan of it. It was like...Waaah! WTF?

So I thought if Asians songs sounded anything like that, I'm never gonna listen to them on my own free-will.

I was a fanfic fanatic when I was younger.

I bumped into Soompi through Google when I wanted a romance fanfic.

So I was reading all these fanfics from their library (when they had one :lol:).

And I kept seeing names like 'Shinhwa', 'Hwanhee' and others.

I had no idea these were real people. I just thought it was made-up characters.

But I realized a lot of people have been using the same names and another friend noticed that too.

So she did some researching and found out that Shinhwa was actually a Korean group.

And she told me what she learned about them.

I was curious and decided to download a few songs.

Next thing I knew, I downloaded every single album they had. :lol:

And from there, I discovered a bunch of other Korean artists. Ahaha~

Guest mei2305

i am chinese-indonesian...

well, i got into K-pop world, coz my sister brought home a H.O.T 3rd album when i was in 4th grade (now im in 2nd year uni)... then i began to listen it everyday... yea and finally got fallin in love H.O.T and all SMTown artist... i am SMtown addicted until now... and in love wih SUJU so much!!!

Guest sassykimsamsoonpig

I'm Vietnamese

There this vietnamese production, I think you Viet know, called Paris By Night. On one DVD, they talked about korean drama. I heard about it and my aunt loves it. I used to watch Hong Kong dramas when I was little, but didn't like as I grew up. Then my best friend told me about it. I started watch korean drama Winter Sonata and I like the soundtrack. Then I started researching... first korean singer that hooked me was Boa then all the Korean Ballad, Suju, DBSK etc

Guest treehunny

i'm vietnamese and i first got interested in jpop through anime and then my cousin influenced me with by giving me more jpop and threw in some kpop. then i was pretty much obsessed with like boa, baby vox, click-b, shinhwa, etc. then my friends influenced me some more and now i can't stop!

Guest Terazu

so, if you're not korean, how'd you get interested in korean music?

and if you're not asian, how'd you get interested in asian music?

I was surfing around youtube for music videos, and I typed in a music title that I think was

similar to a shinhwa song. I saw the mv and i was like "huh? whats this? *click*" and I loved it!

Shinhwa > Xman > Wiki'd up any guests that interested me > dramas > more music > <3

hahahaha..

Im Indian = SO I'll be asian

Korean music = a lot of the words were similar to my own language. I heard 'balli' and the way

you pronounce it, sounds a lot like "church" in my language.

for a sec I was like "wow, koreans love their church" before I realized it meant 'quickly/hurry up' -_-;;

Guest BattleRoyale

my sister was into korean music first and started listening to it regularly and i always said to her (when i was a closed minded brat): omg how can u listen to it, you dnt even understand what they're saying? Now i know why she listens to it. I listen to it more than her now eeep! .____.

Guest cenara

I'm not Asian but I listen to Asian music.

I got into anime for a while via some friends on livejournal / basically everyone I knew online. Then this past fall, a friend of mine on livejournal posted about SJ and it got me curious so I checked them out. I got hooked from doing a little more research and watching videos and such. My interest kind of expanded from there. The music is good and the variety shows are funnier and a lot more interesting than anything they play on TV in the States so it was kind of inevitable that I get more involved than just the music part. Plus I've always had an interest in Asian cultures, it just took me a lot longer to finally get into it unlike all of my friends in high school who were into anime since elementary. D:

Err, sorry for the novel.

Guest japanesedolli

Well... I got into anime,

Then I fell in love with some ending song to the anime,

After that I looked up Japanese music and BoA popped up~!

I became addicted to her catchy up-beat songs and her ballads~

Later when I started listening to all her songs I realized they weren't all in Japanese, but some in Korean as well~! ^^

And so yeh, ^^;; that's how it all started lol

Guest SassyGirl23_35

Okay so , I had to do a project back in junior high. (maybe it was freshman year, dunno . either way it was AT the junior high building. back than freshman went to school at the JR high building) I stumbled onto a website called H.O. T Tribute

and I saw a group of with some rather...unique hairstyles. I read some awesome fanfiction and that site lead me to a board called The Yaoi Zone. (and The JunTa Shrine ) So that person made me a fan of H.o.t and yaoi in one day. That was in 2001. Ive branched out to liking alot of other singers and groups and even kdramas and movies!

The person who runs that website is (was?) a fellow soompier. and I thank her for helping me be more opened to different cultures , through her websites/boards. ^^

Guest YamaSushi7

Not Korean, but I'm still asian : D

I first listened to BoA's Japanese songs [Every Heart was my very first BoA song x)], then eased my way into her Korean songs.

Then it just snowballed from there ^0^

I got interested in Korean music like 2 years ago, it all started because of Goong. I was searching for a new episode and X-man popped up on Youtube. I loved it after watching that episode and suddenly I saw Micky playing the piano in one of the segments...it was love at first sight xD I tried so hard finding that song on Myspace and them I heard Holding Back the Tears too so I started listening to their songs. I saw a couple of them on another episode of X-man and their personalities captured my heart <33

hmm...that pretty much led to SM Town and music shows with a bunch of other celebs haha.

Guest &._Euphoria

Go to know about Kpop through one of my guy friends. Well basically Kdrama is thriving like mushrooms here so it's nothing surprising to see people over my place to be interested in Kpop. =]

Guest soheesocute011

I'm Asian but not Korean. I think I started to like Korean songs because of Tell Me. My Korean friend was really addicted to it and since I felt that she was special to me, I downloaded the song and surprised her at school by making her listen to it. She practically listened to it the whole day, even during class..we're not even supposed to have Ipods at school..XD Anyway, I think I got addicted because of the really cool beats and because of my friend... :rolleyes:

I'm not even Asian, yet the only kind of music I listen to is KPop, and it's been the same for the past year or so. Basically, I just really, really dig the music - a friend of mine got a DBSK DVD a while ago, out of the blue, and the rest (as they say) is history.

Guest AppleLove

it all started with Minwoo :wub:

anf fanfic..

i think the fanfic was called .. 'What i did for love'

and i recommended it all over.. gahhh good times

and then i listened to more Shinhwa and BoA music.. then occasionally the dramas.. then TVXQ.. that's when i got in touch with more koreans and dramas

Archived