If You're Not Korean/asian...

Guest g0bananas

Guest amore.

It all began when my friend used a Super Junior song for an assignment for school. Along with the rest of the class, I heard the song in her presentation and thought it quite nice, so I went on Limewire and downloaded a whole heap of Super Junior songs.

Super Junior led me to DBSK who then led me to Soompi.

I'm not really into K-Pop anymore yet I still visit Soompi regularly. I don't know why. It's strangely addictive.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest He's So Azn

Korean Audition Online.

I had like,

no clue what those lobby songs were.

Until I signed up for Soompi! xD

Guest v3rmillion

Not Korean, but it happened waaaaaaay back. Started with a trip to China when I was in 2nd?/3rd? grade and apparently H.O.T. was holding a concert and there were posters/ad/pictures everywhere. Add in a H.O.T. fan for a cousin, and I think you know how the rest went

although I have to admit that I'm not and never was completely into all of the kpop scene.. just listened to whatever others threw in my direction unlit recently

Guest aiko_da luv child

Umm.. well. I don't know many people that are Korean in my area that listen to Korean pop music (lol..). But then again I only know a handful and they (for the most part) are all my friends (and we met because of Kpop). They are white, Indian, half-Asians (Viet), and mixed Asian (not Korean). I, myself, am black with only a small percentage of Asian gene (but once again not Korean [Japanese]).

The way I got into Asian music was just watching TV. I got deeply into anime during the summer of 6th grade which made me want to learn Japanese (that and it was the whole "hey, you're like 1/5 Japanese, you should embrace your culture" stuff). Anyways, so eventually I got into the music and that eventually lead to Korean music (via SE7EN). That was in 7th grade. When my friend Lynda came back from Vietnam she said that Korean dramas were really popular there which got me into them (via AZN channel). Then I expanded off onto Chinese music somehow and Vietnamese because of Lynda (who is Vietnamese). And now, in the 10th grade, I have 5 friends who like Kpop/Apop and only 1 of them is Korean (and it's only like a percentage [Vietnamese, Japanese, and Korean).

Some people ask me, "Why do you listen to that? Do you understand it? You're dumb. You wanna be Asian!" I just reply, "First off, it's better than Souljaboy and what not and I don't have to want to be Asian to enjoy the music and culture (plus the fact that I have Japanese heritage is oblivious to you)."That really makes me angry. I may not understand but it's way better than American music these days. If you haven't noticed pop music has died in America. That's why I like Korean music. It reminds me of the music I grew up too but better. Some people are really closeminded. I wish that more people in my area liked Kpop music (so I can make a dance crew LoL^^).

Guest Ibu~Vee

:) well i'm here to share the experience, it was the summer of 2007 and i was on youtube i was watching mariah carey's "we belong together" and on the related list it showed big bang we belong together, i was interested to kno what is was so i clicked, and after it was over i played it atleast 8 more times,lol i was so into it and youngbae caught my eyes it was the braids, after that i was hooked, this is the order it goes in

Baby V.o.x(heard bout them before big bang)

Big Bang`(ULTIMATE FAN GIRL!!! still)

1tym

jinusean

YG Family(still to this day)

suju (Heechul<3,Shindong)

TVXQ(don't really like alot of their songs, but the rising sun album was great)

wonder girls

snsd

crown j

SHINee

i'm still obssesed to this day, oh yea i'm black by the way.=)

Guest Vivskies

o.o; Well I'm Chinese, but.anyhow, here's my story.

I went to China over the summer,and I was really bored one night, and I turned on the T.V.

And believe it or not, they had Full House dubbed in Chinese. I had totally no clue that it was a Korean Drama.

Anyhow, I came back to California before the series ended, and I youtubed it.

Found it. Then found soompi through that video and yeah.

Boom!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest onimgaganda83
See my AVATAR? Its all because ALL ABOUT EVE.

Then it was followed by FTTS' SEA OF LOVE. That got me!! I was officially hooked.

It was followed by Clazziquai then SG Wannabe...lots more came after.

But am now in love with BIG BANG songs. I can't believe how all their songs are so addicting.

Yeah!! Because of Big Bang, am now researching American R&B and rap. So these Americans have Big Bang to thank for!! :rolleyes:

Am soooo not into rap rap before Big Bang happened to me. Whats with Big Bang that they got me hooked like this?? :wacko:

I am American, and I think I know more of the recent hits in Korea than here. I'm finding our music scene rather boring these days.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kamkam12694

well im asian. && i got into kpop bcuz of the drama FULL HOUSE [x

--song hye kyo was really pretty. i dont think bi(rain) was and is hot though. :ph34r:

the OST was really really good. and then i met this asian gurl too && she got me into kpop a lot more. now we consider ourselves major FANGIRLS. lmao

Guest oh`retro

Well, I'm not Korean so I never bothered listening to Korean music.

Because I hate listening to stuff I don't understand...it just bothers me.

Yeah...is that weird...?

Anyways, I was at my friend's house and she put on a Big Bang's Last Farewell music video.

And I saw Top rapping like crazy and I was like "oh my god...that guy is so hot & a good rapper."

Then, I went home, looked up more Big Bang stuff & now I'm addicted.

And then, I started getting into Super Junior.

I watched their Full House show, which really made me like them.

I still don't know that many of their songs, but I like watching them on variety shows more, lol.

It just sucks that I have to depend on subs for everything I watch.

That's why I never bothered listening to Korean music, lol.

quite a lot of my friends listen to kpop, but i was never that interested, i listened to like boa and hyori and dbsk but wasnt crazy about them. UNTIL i heard taeyeon's "if" randomly on soompi. someone performed it that is, and i fell in love. from then on i got into snsd, wonder girls, big bang, epik high etc. and i guess it was just listening to it and finding what i really like. =)

Guest epic_darkness

The ultimate answer= anime, and seeing Se7en's pics on one of my Asian friends' computer. Se7en is just too hot.

Guest Noodlebowl

I took one year of Japanese when I as in Kindergarten! Butt stopped, because I had to move to a different town. :(

But that doesn't really have to do with anything...

I'm Asian. Not Korean though. When I was about 8 years old or so, my older sis got really into kpop. She would listen to it constantly and show me music videos all the time. I didn't listen to it much myself at the time, but still, from then on I pretty much grew up with It. My first Korean movie ever was "My Sassy Girl." I love that movie. First drama was Full House with Rain. Yep yep good times. ><

Guest onino

well i started watching asian dramas and movies....and i really liked the movies and drama soundtracks!...

so i started listen to k-music in the beginning...like dbsk and super junior!...

and then j-music too after watching the movie with Yui...got addicted to the song "goodbye days"

how did u start watching asian movies u ask?

well i saw this korean drama once in an arabic channel "sad love story"..and i got addicted to it!...

Guest urusai_baba

Well I got introduced to Kpop through Japanese music. I started studying Japanese in 2001, which I got interested in because of my sister watching anime so much, lol. I decided it would help my studies to listen to Japanese music and translate songs. Then through doing searches for Japanese music I ended up finding Shinhwa and I really fell in love with them, haha. I would watch their videos from variety shows and then find artists that way. And now, I'm in Korea so obviously I find Kpop by watching TV or just walking around lol. off topic, but I was a member of soompi a longgg time ago but I just joined again recently

Guest Vivid

I used to play this game called Audition (오디션) It's an online Korean dance game, and the songs on there we're pretty catchy, and so I started listening to Wondergirls Tell me, memorized that and have been learning Korean ever since. :)

Guest AngelTeuki13

I'm into Japanese stuffs more^^

But I got hooked by Kpop when Super Junior was introduced to me.^^

I listened to their songs and they are all catchy^^

Super Junior has gorgeous members! haha!

But I prefer Japanese music more^^

Jpop and Jrock!^_^

Guest bunnyboo83

I knew korean music a long time ago but i only thought BOA was the only korean singer existed

so i wasnt crazy korean music fan yet

but Wonder Girls got me hooked up!!

and then the oher varieties of korean music

Guest jingaling.

kdramas are what got me into kpop.

after watching full house, i started looking vids of bi & that eventually lead me to where i am now :]

Guest proFRESHional.

well, back then i would always watch some asian tv for fun. and some korean music countdown would always come on. so i just listen to it since i really dont have anything else to do. and i find it very good haha. so i loved koeran music back then. i started downloading MAD CRAZY >_<.

Archived