If You're Not Korean/asian...

Guest g0bananas

Guest pooface

well my sistter was really into it.. before even watching korean dramas! so it was round about 2002 .. she was interested in k-pop .. n we both never watch k-dramas! she started to buy their cd's from ebay! .. i wasnt so into it..

until i heard the song 'kiss-because im a girl' .. i started to like k-pop.. i knew it sounded good..

also there was that song day by day by AS ONE .... SES... they were quite popular back then! ..

but it wasnt until watching k-dramas i became a fan! .. so it was after watching 'jewel in the palace' i started to have more interest in it! .. n also stairway to heaven 'bo go ship da' ...

FORGOT to mention.. Boa!!!! .. she also played a part in my k-music journey! I recognise her as being soooo pretty, young n talented! :)

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest anna_85

anime (inuyasha) --> boa's japanese songs --> boa's korean songs --> korean music in general

so it started with boa =)

Guest zomgitschu
anime (inuyasha) --> boa's japanese songs --> boa's korean songs --> korean music in general

so it started with boa =)

from the information you gave i think it started with inuyasha O_o

My best friend (she is Cantonese) and we

were looking at Asain Stars and found

Edison Chen and I thought he was cute.

So I started listening to his music and

it went on from there.

Guest RETR0SPECTIVE

i am asian, but not korean.

i got into this because of my korean friends,

and i already watched a few taiwanese/jdramas

from there i got into korean dramas, then i watched some game shows

where i was interested in the celebrity guests (like dbsk!)

and so i researched, and became addicted (:

i also have some nonblood-related family members who are korean too !

i always ask them, "how do you say __ in korean?"

so it's funnnn (:

Guest Shai_Juni

Okay here goes my story.....

When I was in highschool I met my friend Shelly. Her Uncle Jimmy had been in the navy and married a korean lady, Auntie Sonmi while he was overseas. They had Shelly's cousin Sumi while they were living in japan. I met Sumi at Shelly's 16th birthday party and got my first taste of Kpop by listening to "Candy" by H.o.T

After that day, when Sumi got home, she made Shelly a set of three mix tapes. They had H.o.T's first album, songs from Seo Tai Ji, Untitle, DJ. D.o.C, the original line up of Young Turks Club (with the girl Jinah who tried to start rumors about her and HeeJun back in the day) and Turbo's first two albums I believe, cause I remember Twist King on there. Shelly made me a set of the tapes and I was hooked. Because at the time, all the music that was on the radio where I lived was gangsta rap, like NWA, and the like. It was a whole buncha swearing and topics like violence against black people with cops and such that, being a white girl being raised by my grandparents, I didn't know anything about. But the korean music, while it was a language I didn't understand, the music was happy sounding, the beats were cool, and yes I admit the guys were hot. xD

About 3 months after that, when I'd nearly wore the tapes out, Shelly was going home on the bus, and she saw a video store. So the next day, we had play practice, and while waiting we walked down to check it out. It turned out to be a video store called Jin Video, and it rented out korean dramas and movies, and also had cd's for sale in a glass case by the register. Well needless to say, Shelly and I were pretty happy. By this time though, H.o.T's Wolf and Sheep had come out, and I bought Sechs Kies 1 and 2. From then on, Jin Video, and the Thai resturant around the corner from it, became Shelly and I's weekend run for the next 4 years, long after high school.

Then I began learning korean. I'm still in the process now cause there's still alot that I don't know, but I'm getting the general idea. I used to squeal in rapture when I heard a word a knew. haha.

For the next... I'd say 2 years I would get random pop ups on AOL (back when I used it) with people that thought I was korean cause I had korean music in my AOL profile. And when they would come up with random stuff in korean and I'd tell them I was white.. I'd get one of two reactions. I'd get, "Wow that's cool you're into another culture, how'd you find out about it?" or I'd get "WTF are you listening to MY music for, you're not korean you should listen to your white people music you cracker." -___-;; Needless to say I've had more then my share of people being predjudice against me because i'm white. But I've gotten used to it, and it takes alot to hurt my feelings now a days. I started listening to it in 1997. I was 15 going on 16 then, I'm 26 about to be 27 now... and they say it was a phase HAHA! ;p

So yeah that's my story....

Guest nicorettee

lol well two friends -one is korean- told me check out these groups.

the first friend-who's korean- showed me super junior's haengbok x]

the second showed me ft island's MV where jong hun's is the really good looking bodyguard..siiiigh ^^-

but ANYWAYS heheh that's how i got into the k-world

Guest Joanne <3

Korean Dramas -> OSTs -> MSN buddy -> Soompi.

I was wary of Kpop, but wasn't ever really into it until I was introduced to Soompi.

Guest jjennuhhferr

at first, like a year ago

the only korean artists

i knew a little about was

BoA and Se7en >.<

my korean friend sent me

super junior's haenbok mv

i thought it was a bit fruity

and weird at first, yet i couldnt

stop watching the video ".__.

and from there it just

skyrocketed i guess lol

Guest vip_gd

what a funny question to all of us

um idk really. i just listened to one korean song then suddenly .. tada!

i blame jang nara .. all of a sudden her mv appeared on tv a long long time ago and that's how i got into korean music!

also bi rain .. haha .. i listened to his songs after watching full house on tvb

but before that, i listened to a lot of american music .. especially those bands

Guest teukstrid

Well I bought the rpg game Kindgom Hearts when it was first released in 01/02 and I really loved the intro song. I found out that the singer was Utada Hikaru. I started listening to her music and started searching for more asian music. I stumbled accross Boa and Se7en and really liked them.

Thats how I started liking kmusic : P very random really.

Guest winter.love

started watching full house and it was heck addicting.

then i started to branch out and started listening to more artists and watching dramas & movies.

Archived