Song Hye Gyo vs. Liu Yi Fei

Guest soutsada7

you know what, now that you've mentioned it I do notice a lack of certain elements in the newer ancient dramas? as a matter of fact, I haven't watched an ancient drama for a while, with the exception of a few epis of ROCH 2006. When I feel the urge to watch Chinese ancient dramas or wuxia dramas for that matter, I take out my older collection and rewatch them :wacko::P. Hopefully, the dramas will improve; however, with the further advent of computer graphics and technology, I highly doubt that producers/directors of these wuxia dramas will revert back to the more "natural" way of doing things, for lack of better words.

damn. im going off-topic, but i agree that the recent ancient dramas can't seem to compare to the older ones. I watched chinese dramas since I was 4, and my family were maniacs for it. But we grew out of it because of the lack of interest in the newer dramas And what is up with the remakes? I swear, ROTCH has 5 versions or something.

I watched the recent ROTCH06 with LYF, and I gotta say... her acting improved a little bit. Is it just me or does her face seem really stiff? It's as if she doesn't really have expressions..

Anyways, I think SHG's acting skills are better than LYF....

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest soutsada7

damn. im going off-topic, but i agree that the recent ancient dramas can't seem to compare to the older ones. I watched chinese dramas since I was 4, and my family were maniacs for it. But we grew out of it because of the lack of interest in the newer dramas And what is up with the remakes? I swear, ROTCH has 5 versions or something.

I watched the recent ROTCH06 with LYF, and I gotta say... her acting improved a little bit. Is it just me or does her face seem really stiff? It's as if she doesn't really have expressions..

Anyways, I think SHG's acting skills are better than LYF....

yep, it seems that the current trend in the Asian entertainment industry, especially HK and Mainland China, is a pretty/handsome face and little acting skills coupled with connections with the "big guys" in the entertainment circle will push you far up the ladder of popularity. Lol, did you know that there's going to be a remake of Duke of Mt. Deer too? I never did like that series though :sweatingbullets:.

Guest dreamsicle

yep, it seems that the current trend in the Asian entertainment industry, especially HK and Mainland China, is a pretty/handsome face and little acting skills coupled with connections with the "big guys" in the entertainment circle will push you far up the ladder of popularity. Lol, did you know that there's going to be a remake of Duke of Mt. Deer too? I never did like that series though :sweatingbullets:.

Not a current trend, it's like a tradition. Everything goes by connections, not just in the entertainment industry.

-----------

The director of ROCH 06 is directing the new DukeMtnD and he wanted to cast LYF as A Ke aka Ah Or. Thank goodness she refused, or else.... haha

Guest soutsada7

Not a current trend, it's like a tradition. Everything goes by connections, not just in the entertainment industry.

-----------

The director of ROCH 06 is directing the new DukeMtnD and he wanted to cast LYF as A Ke aka Ah Or. Thank goodness she refused, or else.... haha

sure, but in the American entertainment industry, for example, talent plays a major role :)...it's just very obvious with the Asian entertainment industry.

Do you happen to know why LYF refused the role?

Guest Rainie

SHG...she's just a better actress....LYF's acting isn't too great, probably because of the fact that she's 17...I guess she is quite talented for her age. Both are extremely pretty though.

Guest dreamsicle

sure, but in the American entertainment industry, for example, talent plays a major role :)...it's just very obvious with the Asian entertainment industry.

Do you happen to know why LYF refused the role?

I'm specifically talking about the Chinese industry.

----

She's learning Japanese and recording an album :vicx:

I really don't like the director Zhang Ji Zhong. His remake is already repugnant-sounding, yet he's all arrogant, saying so and so is too ugly to be in his show and so forth. Obviously he's harsh on the looks factor but loose on the talent.

Guest soutsada7

----

I really don't like the director Zhang Ji Zhong. His remake is already repugnant-sounding, yet he's all arrogant, saying so and so is too ugly to be in his show and so forth. Obviously he's harsh on the looks factor but loose on the talent.

whoa, really? that's harsh indeed, thanks for the info...not looking forward to watching Duke of Mt. Deer anyway cause I never liked it, so I'm probably not going to watch his next project :). LYF sings? Since when? :blink:

Guest Aestas

soutsada... someone said earlier in this thread that LYF has been singing and playing piano since childhood.. don't remember which page.

Guest soutsada7

soutsada... someone said earlier in this thread that LYF has been singing and playing piano since childhood.. don't remember which page.

oh, I see, I see...thanks, must have missed that page :slaps self on the forehead: :sweatingbullets::P Thanks for clarifying that...hmmm, interesting, I wanna know how she sounds like as a singer. When I watch her in the wuxia dramas, her voice was always dubbed, so I've never really heard her real voice before...it'll be interesting indeed :D.

Guest jacinda

----

What are you saying? That the Chinese film industry looks at only looks, or connections? That's really harsh and most of the series/movie I've seen don't reflect that. I mean, Ge You? That guy is the ugliest man on earth but he is an incredible actor that keeps drawing audiences.

Guest Iloveminwooandbrian

They are both beautiful in there Own ways

but LYF is ancient chinese Beauty and

SHG is Korean Beauty. Thats how I see it.

They are both most certainly more pretty then meeh I can say hehehe...

I say BOTH :)

Guest dreamsicle

What are you saying? That the Chinese film industry looks at only looks, or connections? That's really harsh and most of the series/movie I've seen don't reflect that. I mean, Ge You? That guy is the ugliest man on earth but he is an incredible actor that keeps drawing audiences.

Basically. Ge You is the older generation and he's a man. Can you say, and mean it, that all these young, popular Chinese actresses are at their status of fame because they deserve it out of pure talent? "Guan Xi" is one of the most important principles in China. Just because so and so is talented doesn't mean she/he is allowed to stay in the industry and be red hot. They need opportunity, contracts, endorsements, connections with powerful bigshots, the actor/actress depends on thousands of people. Just take one look at the works that the younger generation produces can show a lot. Take Liu Yi Fei, Fan Bing Bing, Huang Yi, Chen Hao, etc. all these girls whose tabloid headlines sums up more than their awards -- they will never make another Gong Li, Maggie Cheung, Jiang Wen Li. Same how Lu Yi, Chen Kun, Hu Ge will never become anywhere close to Chen Dao Ming, Ge You, Wang Zhi Wen. The deal with these younger generation actors/actresses is that mostly of them I don't even care to watch them when they're young. By the time they age beyond 30 they will not be around, let alone become legends.

Guest jacinda

I agree that the younger generation pretty much sucks compared to the older one, but Chen Dao Ming and Zhou Ren Fa started out as pretty boys so that gives me hope. Gong Li and Maggie Cheung started out that way too, with their looks being a very big reason for their rise to fame.

But you said "tradition" not trend specifically, so mostly I was referring to that fact, because I feel traditionally that Chinese cinema has focused more on talent, and that as it becomes more westernized, they are focusing more on pretty looks and guan xi (and I think this is just from the onset of capatilism in general, because guan xi is prominent now in all forms of business).

Archived