Guest xosandy

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 21, 2017

Lee Young-ae Hints at Her Upcoming TV Series

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2017012100286_0.jpg

Actress Lee Young-ae is making a comeback with a new TV series to be aired late this month.

The TV series is about one of the most famous women in Korean history, Shin Saimdang, a renowned artist and writer during the Chosun Dynasty.

"She was the breadwinner of the family and her husband was not interested in household matters, so she must have had a lot to worry about," Lee said about the leading role of Shin Saimdang. "The situation is actually the same now. Not much has changed in 500 years. I am sure the biographical drama will allow viewers a moment to strike a chord with working women of today."

She also said her emotions and the depth of feelings have changed since she got through marriage and having children.

"Actors get opportunities to express emotions deeply when they experience a pivotal change in life such as childbirth and even aging," Lee said.

"Facial wrinkles show deepening of emotions so I am not sad that I am getting old. You can't have a starring role forever, and you can't stay pretty forever. I want to do as many things as possible, be it TV dramas, films, or documentaries, as long as they convey meaningful messages while allowing me to discover new aspect of myself," she added.

Lee Young Ae Talks About How Being A Wife And Mother Has Influenced Her Acting

lee young ae

It’s been 13 years since Lee Young Ae’s last drama, the iconic “Jewel in the Palace.” During the January 24 press conference for SBS’s “Saimdang, Light’s Diary,” the actress spoke about how things have changed since then.

Lee Young Ae said, “I’m a working mum now. There is a difference between acting [the role of] Dae Jang Geum as a single person and acting [the role of] Saimdang as a wife and mother. It feels like my [acting] range has widened, and my color (character) has deepened. I think acting is more interesting.”

She also said, “I began working on the drama with the thought that as a working mum, I wouldn’t be any different from Saimdang in the past.”

Elaborating on the character, she continued, “Saimdang isn’t a saint. She started out thinking if it was enough to be just a perfect wife and mother. She had no choice but to be strong, balancing housework and her art. This type of bold image overlaps with Dae Jang Geum. The enjoyment for viewers will differ according to how they perceive Dae Jang Geum in Saimdang.”

Many things may have changed for Lee Young Ae over the years, but her dedication to her craft has not. Back in the days of “Jewel in the Palace,” the actress had taken classes in cooking royal cuisine for about a month, to prepare for the role. This time, she also learned folk painting for about a month as well, for a painting scene in “Saimdang, Light’s Diary.”

source

January 25, 2017

Lee Young-ae aims to show boldness behind the good, wise wife

Lee Young-ae, right, and Song Seung-heon pose for a photo at a press conference in Lotte Hotel Seoul on Tuesday. (Yonhap)

Returning to television drama after 14 years, Lee Young-ae said she wants to portray a passionate, modern rendition of a historical figure in her latest role. 

“Saimdang, Light’s Diary,” which launches Thursday at 10 p.m. on SBS, alternates between the present and the Joseon era. Lee plays both Seo Ji-yoon, an art history student living in modern-day Seoul, and Shin Saimdang, a famed poet, artist and scholar of the Joseon era.

“I thought it would be interesting if I could show the dynamic and passionate aspects of (Shin),” she told reporters at a press conference featuring the show’s cast Tuesday at Lotte Hotel Seoul. 

More than a decade has passed since Lee appeared in the hit historical series “Daejangeum” ? previously known as “Jewel in the Palace” -- in which she played a royal cook who rises in the court and further trains to be a physician.

“I have since become a mother,” said Lee. “It has been a long time since I stood in front of the camera. I am also a working mom now. I feel my acting has more expression and depth compared to when I was single.”

In Korea, the artist Shin is a symbol of the good, wise mother and wife, even depicted on the Korean 50,000-won bill. 

“But I wanted to escape from the image of her smiling serenely on the bill,” said Lee. “She had many roles. She had to take care of home life, paint and also earn a living.”

Born to a progressive father who fostered her talents, records show that Shin had relative freedom to pursue her art compared to her female contemporaries. 

Even so, Lee said she imagined there must have been a fire within Shin that the historians overlooked, crediting the show’s writer Park Eun-ryeong for her progressive interpretation of the historical figure.

“I felt there had to be a bolder side to her.”

In some ways, the character overlaps with Lee’s character in “Daejangeum,” in which she also played a talented woman ahead of her time, she said. 

(SBS)

“Saimdang, Light’s Diary” features an entirely fictional character, Lee Kyeom, played by Song Seung-heon, who remains devoted to Shin throughout her life even after her marriage to another man. 

“(‘Saimdang’) is not a historical documentary,” said the show’s writer Park. “It doesn’t strive to adhere strictly to historical facts. I read a lot of records, but where the pieces were missing, I filled them in with my imagination. I hope viewers will keep that in mind.”

“Saimdang,” directed by Yoon Sang-ho and co-produced by Group Eight and Emperor Entertainment Group Korea, airs Wednesdays and Thursdays on SBS. The show is available to viewers outside of Korea on streaming sites DramaFever and Viki.

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

• 1 month later...

March 15, 2017

Actress Lee Young-ae donates to local hospital

SEOUL, March 15 (Yonhap) -- Popular actress Lee Young-ae has donated to a local hospital in Gangneung where her recent drama was shot.

Earlier this month, Lee made the donation of 100 million won (US$87,450) to Asan Hospital in the city, in Gangwon Province, asking that the money be used to treat poor patients.

She stayed in the city for months from late 2015 to shoot her latest drama "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors," now showing on SBS TV.

Lee came back to the small screen after 13 years with the fantasy period drama, in which she takes on the double roles of Saimdang, an artist from the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), and present-day art history instructor Seo Ji-yoon.

The series is currently airing in several places in Asia including Hong Kong and Singapore as well as in America.

This is not the first time that she has attracted media attention for her philanthropic activities.

This undated file photo shows Korean actress Lee Young-ae (Yonhap)

This undated file photo shows Korean actress Lee Young-ae (Yonhap)

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

• 1 month later...

April 18, 2017

Actress Lee Young-ae of 'Saimdang' donates 150 million won to low-income new mothers

SEOUL, April 18 (Yonhap) -- Actress Lee Young-ae has donated 150 million won (US$131,984) to a local hospital here to help new mothers of low-income families, the hospital said Tuesday.

Cheil General Hospital in central Seoul revealed that Lee has made donations on several occasions, asking that the money be used for those mothers.

The actress gave birth to her twin babies in the hospital, one of the largest maternity clinics in the country, in February 2011. She has since paid attention to the work of helping new mothers and their babies.

This is not the first time that she has attracted media attention for her philanthropic activities.

In February 2014, she donated 100 million won to a Taiwanese mother who happened to give birth to a baby after she accidentally fell during her trip to Seoul.

The baby reportedly weighed about one kilogram and was diagnosed with biliary atresia, a rare liver disease. The child had to go through a number of surgeries, but its parents could not afford the medical expenses.

Most recently, she donated 100 million won and 150 million won to Asan Hospital in Gangneung, Gangwon Province, asking that the money be used to treat poor patients, and to some of the province's low-income households.

She stayed in the city for months from late 2015 to shoot her latest drama "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors," now showing on SBS TV.

Lee came back to the small screen after 13 years with the fantasy period drama, in which she takes on the double roles of Saimdang, an artist from the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), and present-day art history instructor Seo Ji-yoon.

The series is scheduled to end early next month.

This file photo shows actress Lee Young-ae (Yonhap)

This file photo shows actress Lee Young-ae (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr

• 1 month later...

Korean Actress Lee Young-ae “Changumi” supports flood relief efforts in Sri Lanka. 

(Author LBO Posted on June 6, 2017 | Environment, Special Reports)Lee-Young-ae-Changumi.jpg

Lee-Young-ae-Changumi-2.jpg

June 06, 2017 (LBO) – Korean Actress Lee Young-ae has made a contribution of 56,000,000 Korean Won (50,000 US Dollars) to support flood relief efforts in Sri Lanka, following the extensive devastation caused to life and property after floods and landslides.

The Chairman of the Korea Foundation for Persons with Disabilities Lee Seong-gyu formally handed over Actress Lee Young-ae’s contribution to the Charge d’ Affaires of Sri Lanka in the Republic of Korea Sasanga Nikapitiya on Monday 5th June at the Sri Lanka Embassy in Seoul.

Actress Lee Young-ae indicated in a message that she was ‘deeply saddened to receive the news that the Sri Lankan people had lost their lives and houses due to the severe flooding’.

As the scale of the damage became increasingly extensive,’ she wanted ‘to help with the recovery efforts’ in whichever way she could. She also wished those affected people and their families an early recovery.

Actress Lee Young-ae is well known and much loved by the Sri Lankan people following her role as “Changumi” in the famous Korean historical drama ; “Dae Jang Geum” (“Sujatha Diyani”) which was serialized on Sri Lankan television and became extremely popular nationwide.

As the Advisory Chairperson of the Korea Foundation for Persons with Disabilities, Lee Young-ae also plays a positive role in improving awareness of disabilities and persons with disabilities among the general public. She also supports the under privileged in numerous ways.

June 9, 2017

Lee Young-ae Donates Money to Aid Sri Lankan Flood Victims

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2017060900727_0.jpg

Actress Lee Young-ae donated W56 million to help Sri Lankan flood victims, local media said Thursday (US$1=W1,123).

The Korea Foundation for Persons with Disabilities delivered the money to the Ski Lankan Embassy in Seoul on Lee's behalf.

According to the charity, Lee was deeply saddened by the scale of the loss of life and property caused by the recent flooding in Ski Lanka, and wanted to help survivors, whose problems have been compounded by continued heavy rain.

• 2 months later...

August 20, 2017

Lee Young Ae, the Definition of Elegance and Alluring Beauty

Source: Naver via HanCinema.net

photo880304.jpg

Fashion media Elle revealed the beauty photoshoot featuring the legendary actress Lee Young-ae, the actress who represent Asia and one of the most popular Korean actress in the world. 

In the photoshoot, she is shining with dignity true to her nickname, Queen Young-ae. She is the definition of grace and her elegant and alluring aura was captured perfectly in every single photo of her. Her signature flawless pearly skin and deep eyes were complimented with dewy lip make-up, which created such an eye-catching beauty.

photo880308.jpg

photo880307.jpg

Spoiler

photo880306.jpg

Spoiler

photo880305.jpg

She's the queen of the beauty photoshoot to begin with, but this season beauty photoshoot is out of this world! Only Lee Young-ae is capable of such work and let her charisma reign us all forever.

By. Lily Lee

August 23, 2017

Actress Lee Young-ae donates to victims of military accident

Actress Lee Young-ae on Monday made a donation to help those affected by an artillery accident last Friday, the Army said Wednesday.

“I hope parents can be reassured about safety in the military, and I hope this country becomes a safer place for our children to grow” said Lee.

Lee, a mother of twins, said she decided to make the donation upon learning that a sergeant who died in the incident left behind an 18-month-old son.

The sergeant was among two soldiers killed when a K-9 Thunder self-propelled howitzer blew up during a firing drill in Cheorwon, Gangwon Province. 

Lee said she would fund education expenses for the late sergeant’s son until he graduates from college.

The actress is well known for her charitable works. Earlier this year, she donated 150 million won ($131,984) to help low-income mothers. 

(Yonhap) 

via Kpopherald

August 24, 2017

Lee Young-ae Donates Money to Artillery Accident Victims

By Lee Yong-soo The ChosunIlbo

2017082401204_0.jpg

Actress Lee Young-ae has donated money to help the families of two young soldiers who were killed and several others who were injured in an artillery accident last Friday.

The Army said Wednesday that Lee donated W50 million to its academy fund (US$1=W1,133). "I hope parents can be reassured about safety in the military, and I hope this country becomes a safer place for our children to grow up in," she was quoted as saying.

Lee is a mother of twins and said she was motivated to donate the money when she found out that a sergeant who died in the accident left behind an 18-month-old son. The accident involved a K-9 self-propelled howitzer blowing up during a firing drill in Cheorwon, Gangwon Province.

She also promised to sponsor the sergeant's son through university.  

• 1 month later...

October 3, 2017

Actress Lee Young-ae cast in mystery period drama

SEOUL, Oct. 3 (Yonhap) -- South Korean actress Lee Young-ae is returning to the small screen with a mystery drama, a PR agency said Tuesday.

The script writing for the new series, with the title roughly translated as "Different Dream," has yet to be completed and the shooting will start next year, the Seoul-based agency The Tik Tok said.

Set in the Japanese colonial period of Korea (1910-1945), the series revolves around a surgical doctor named Lee Young-jin (played by Lee) who is adopted by a Japanese couple and later hired as a spy by the Provisional Government of Korea in Shanghai.

The actress last appeared in "Saimdang, Memoir of Colors." The 28-episode series was aired on SBS TV from Jan. 26 to May 4.

This photo provided by The Tik Tok and Elle magazine is of South Korean actress Lee Young-ae. (Yonhap)

This photo provided by The Tik Tok and Elle magazine is of South Korean actress Lee Young-ae. (Yonhap)

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

Lee Young Ae Confirmed To Appear In New Espionage Melodrama

Lee-Young-Ae.jpg

Actress Lee Young Ae is set to make her return to the TV screen with a espionage melodrama “Lee Mong” (tentative title).

Producer Go Dae Hwa, who has worked on multiple large-scale productions like MBC’s “Jumong,” KBS2’s “Hwang Jin Yi,” and SBS’s “Doctor Stranger,” will be teaming up with director Yoon Sang Ho, who was in charge of MBC’s “The Legend” and SBS’s “Saimdang, Light’s Diary.”

The new drama will be set in Seoul and Shanghai under the rule of Japanese imperialism, and will be a blockbuster espionage melodrama that follows Lee Young Jin, a surgeon who becomes a spy for the provisional government in Shanghai and gets thrown into the hurricane that was the Pacific War.

The drama will begin filming in 2018.

Are you excited to see Lee Young Ae return with a new drama?

source

@rubie, what exciting news!:)

@irilight Happy to see you here! Have to say that it's a good thing that LYA is starting another acting project again and not waiting too long, like previously. I suppose with her children already quite grown up, it's easier for LYA to pick a new drama/movie.

Anyway, found this article that highlighted the sighting of some Korean celebrity couples namely Lee Young Ae & hubby, Lee Byung Hun & Lee Min Jung, Ahn Sung Ki & wife, veteran actress Yoon Jung Hee & husband at senior actor Shin Young Gyun's family wedding. Not sure whose wedding and the exact date (8/21 or 9/21?) but it's a nice highlight with photos of the stars gathered at one place.

Source: Interview365

77952_80420_468.jpg

• 1 month later...

November 10, 2017

Asia’s biggest stars to present at the MAMAs

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

09224107.jpg

Korean actress Lee Young-ae, left, and Hong Kong actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai, right, will be presenting awards at 2017 Mnet Asia Music Awards (MAMA), which will begin on Nov. 25 at the Hoa Binh Theatre in Vietnam and wrap up at the Asia World-Expo Arena in Hong Kong on Dec. 1.

The actress became popular with her leading role, in MBC drama “Jewel in the Palace” (2003), which was a hit across Asia. This year, she returned to television in the SBS drama “Saimdang, Light’s Diary” which wrapped up in May.

The Hong Kong actor became familiar to Korean audiences with his starring role in “Lust, Caution” (2007). He also appeared in the Chinese movie, “The Grandmaster” in 2013 which co-starred Korean actress Song Hye-kyo and Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi.

Song Joong-ki will be the host of the awards this year. This year marks the ninth year of MAMA. The awards will be given out the final day of the three-day event at the Asia World-Expo Arena in Hong Kong.

By Hong You-kyoung

• 2 weeks later...

November 19, 2017

TVXQ, Yoo Jae Suk, And Other Celebrities Donate To Aid Pohang Earthquake Relief Efforts

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Celebrities have come forward to lend the people of Pohang a helping hand following an earthquake last week that devastated the region.

It was confirmed on November 20 by various organizations that TVXQ, Yoo Jae Suk, Lee Dong Gook, and Lee Young Ae each made donations to help the victims of the Pohang earthquake.

ChildFund Korea, which specializes in helping to improve children’s welfare around the world, revealed that TVXQ donated 50 million won (approximately $45,400) to the organization on November 17. Their donation is set to be used to help cover the living expenses of children from low-income households in Pohang.

A representative of the Korea Disaster Relief Association, also known as Hope Bridge, announced that both Yoo Jae Suk and Lee Dong Gook had donated 50 million won each to help the victims of the earthquake. FNC Entertainment confirmed that Yoo Jae Suk had made the donation but added, “We were not aware of his donation. We believe he quietly made the donation personally.”

The Korea Foundation for Persons with Disabilities revealed that actress Lee Young Ae had donated a total of 160 million won (approximately $96,300) to help the victims of the Pohang earthquake, as well as the earthquake that occurred in Iran on November 12. 50 million won will be sent to Pohang to help in the restoration efforts, as well as to help families with disabilities. 56 million won (approximately $50,900) was delivered to the Embassy of Iran and will be used to help with relief efforts and to help children with disabilities who were injured in the earthquake.

Through the foundation, Lee Young Ae stated, “My heart ached to hear the news of the people of Pohang who have lost their homes due to the earthquake, as well as the people of Iran who have shown their love and support for ‘Jewel in the Palace.’ I wanted to help in any way I could.”

On November 15, a 5.4 magnitude earthquake hit Pohang that resulted in over 50 billion won (approximately $45.4 million) in damages, 76 people injured, and over 1,300 people who have lost their homes.

Source (1) (2) (3)

November 20, 2017

Lee Young-ae donates 106 miliion won for Pohang, Iran quake victims

SEOUL, Nov. 20 (Yonhap) -- South Korean actress Lee Young-ae has donated 106 million won (US$96,398) to a local charity to help recent earthquake victims in Pohang and Iran, the charity said Monday.

The Seoul-based Korea Foundation for Persons with Disabilities said about half of the money will be used to help quake victims in Pohang, the southeastern city recently hit by a magnitude 5.4 earthquake, and the remainder for quake victims in Iran, particularly children and people with disabilities.

"My heart broke upon hearing the news of Pohang citizens who received injuries and lost their homes in the earthquake and on the suffering of the Iranian people who loved my drama 'Daejanggeum' so much," Lee was quoted as saying. "Feeling sorry for the situation where the damage is getting worse, I wanted to help them out a little."

The foundation said it conveyed her donation to the Iranian Embassy in Seoul on Monday and decided to cooperate with the embassy in aiding relief efforts in Iran.

This file photo shows actress Lee Young-ae. (Yonhap)

This file photo shows actress Lee Young-ae. (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr

November 21, 2017

Lee Young-ae in Tehran

Lee Young-ae in Tehran

Shown is the front page of the Nov. 21, 2017, edition of the Tehran Times, featuring an article of actress Lee Young-ae's 50 million-won (US$45,821) donation for quake victims in Iran. (Yonhap) (END)

Archived