Lee Young Ae 이영애

Guest xosandy

Return of queens to small screen

Keeping relevant material only

Star actresses are set to return to the small screen next year after a long break

Actresses Lee Young-ae, Song Hye-kyo and Go Hyun-jung are among an array of stars who will grace the screen in much-anticipated TV dramas.

Actress Lee Young-ae is starring in the new period drama “Saimdang, the Herstory.” The TV drama marks her return to the small screen after an 11-year hiatus, after her sensationally popular drama “Jewel in the Palace” in 2003.

For her grand return, she chose to play Shin Saimdang, a renowned female artist, poet and the mother of the Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok who lived in the 16th century Korea.

Actor Song Seung-heon will play opposite of Lee, taking the role of Lee Gyeom, who harbors an unwavering love for his childhood sweetheart, Saimdang.

The drama, produced by Yun Sang-ho, “The Legend” and “Tamna the Island,” will hit the airwaves next year on SBS.

source:  http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201511031749240981691_2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November 14, 2015

Lee Young-ae funds concert for officers

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

lee-young-ae.jpg

Actress Lee Young-ae fully funded a concert for noncommissioned officers, shelling out 400 million won ($344,000). 

The concert was held Friday night at Jangchung Gymnasium in Jangchung-dong, Jung District, central Seoul. About 4,000 war veterans and their families were invited to the concert. 

The donation by the actress was made public by the Non-Commissioned Officer Academy on Friday. 

“Lee has fully sponsored the concert knowing that the concert would be held to commemorate war veterans who have sacrificed themselves for the country,” the academy said in a press release. 

Lee has been active in charitable work. 

The actress donated 50 million won in August to two soldiers who were seriously injured by land mines placed in the demilitarized zone by North Korea. 

The 44-year-old actress also helped a Taiwanese mother last July. Lee donated 100 million won to the Taiwanese woman who prematurely gave birth to a baby after she accidentally fell during her trip to Seoul. Her baby reportedly weighed about 1 kilogram (2 pounds) and was diagnosed with biliary atresia, a rare liver disease. Lee said she wanted to help the baby’s parents, who had mounting medical bills. 

Meanwhile, Lee will return to the small screen for the first time in 11 years with the new drama series “Saimdang: The Herstory” next year. 

The drama series will depict the life of historical figure Shin Saimdang, who appears on the 50,000 won banknote. She was a famed calligrapher, painter and mother of scholar Yulgok during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). 

Lee will play a double role in the drama series, which jumps between the Joseon Dynasty and modern Seoul. Lee plays the roles of Shin Saimdang and Seo Ji-yun, a contemporary college lecturer who teaches Korean art history. 

Lee’s last project was the 2003 hit drama series “Dae Jang Geum,” also known as “Jewel in the Palace.” 

By Sung So-young 

November 16, 2015

Lee Young-ae Arranges Benefit to Noncom Officers

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Actress Lee Young-ae paid for the entire W400 million cost of a charity concert for noncommissioned officers at Jangchung Gymnasium in Seoul last Friday, the organizers said (US$1=W1,167).

Lee has donated a total of W300 million to the charity over the last five years, including money for the first benefit concert in 2011.

Actress Lee Young-ae and her husband watch a charity concert for noncommissioned officers at Jangchung Gymnasium in Seoul on Friday.

Actress Lee Young-ae and her husband watch a charity concert for noncommissioned officers at Jangchung Gymnasium in Seoul on Friday. Actress Lee Young-ae and her husband watch a charity concert for noncommissioned officers at Jangchung Gymnasium in Seoul on Friday.

Lee is the daughter of a Korean War veteran and takes a keen interest in disadvantaged military personnel.

She also donated W50 million to two soldiers who were maimed by North Korean box mines in the demilitarized zone in August.

She has told friends that non-commissioned officers still get a raw deal compared to other officers even though they pull at least the same weight in defending the country.

Friday's concert was attended by about 3,500 people, including veterans and their families.

November 16, 2015

UNESCO releases Lee Young-ae video clip

The Korean National Commission for UNESCO released a video clip showing actress Lee Young-ae’s greetings as a special ambassador for the commission. 

(UNESCO)

In the clip, the 44-year-old actress said, “As a special ambassador for the commission, I have thought about what is the most necessary for the children in Africa.”

“Although it is important to satisfy immediate hunger, what can end a vicious cycle of poverty and give them hope seems to be education,” she concluded. 

Proceeds raised through Lee’s fund-raising ads will be donated to support education in underdeveloped countries. 

Lee was picked as a special ambassador for the Korean National Commission for UNESCO in October to promote its fund-raising and campaign to back education in least developed nations. 

(khnews@heraldcorp.com)

November 23. 2015

Lee Young-ae’s classic retro style

Actress Lee Young-ae looks gorgeous in her retro-styled photo spread released by fashion magazine Noblesse on Monday. 

Lee posed in front of Jungmyeongjeon in Deoksugung Palace -- a more than 100-year-old Western-style building inside the traditional palace -- donning various looks from Gucci’s Cruise Collection 2016. As the PR ambassador for NGO National Trust Korea, she decided to do a photo shoot in front of a historic landmark to promote Korea’s history and cultural heritage. 

Lee Young-ae (Noblesse)

Lee will return to the small screen next year in the periodic drama “Saimdang, Herstory.”

More of Lee’s classic and elegant photos are included in Noblesse’s December Issue.

Lee Young-ae (Noblesse)

By Ahn Sung-mi (sahn@heraldcorp.com)

Song Seung-heon ‘honored to work with Lee Young-ae’

Actor Song Seung-heon said he is honored to work with actress Lee Young-ae during Monday’s press briefing for the upcoming drama “Saimdang, the Herstory.”

The 39-year-old actor told the reporters, “I am honored to work with actress Lee, who is returning to dramas after 10 years away,” adding she was the main reason behind his starring in the drama.

“I never thought I could work with Lee, so it’s like a dream. On the first day of shooting, I kept blowing my lines because I was so nervous,” he said.

“Saimdang, the Herstory” was in the media spotlight as it is Lee’s first return to the small screen since her megahit drama “Jewel in the Palace,” which ended in 2003.

Lee is playing a double role -- a college instructor and Shin Saimdang (the mother of the Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok) -- solving the mystery of a photo of the beauty.

The drama is set to premiere in the second half of next year.

source

Yonhap News Agency

November 30, 2015

Lee Young-ae hopes to portray life of woman, mother in new drama

GANGNEUNG, South Korea, Nov. 30 (Yonhap) -- Actress Lee Young-ae said Monday she wants to portray the life of a woman and mother in her new role as a renowned Joseon Dynasty artist who was also the mother of a famous Korean Confucian scholar.

Lee plays Shin Saimdang (1504-1551), a historical figure known for her art, calligraphy and writing as well as her son, Lee Yulgok, in the period drama "Saimdang, the Herstory."

"Simply speaking, 'Saimdang' is the story of a woman," Lee said during a press conference for the new drama, held at a hotel in the eastern coastal city of Gangneung. "The concerns of a mother, wife and woman are the same now or 500 years ago. I wanted to depict the life of a woman in a double role, under Saimdang's name. I'm sure women everywhere around the world, not just here, will be able to identify with her."

The drama goes back and forth through time and Lee plays both Shin and a college art history instructor in the modern era.

It marks Lee's return as an actress 10 years after she halted her career to get married and have children. She is best known for her leading role in the smash-hit epic series "Daejanggeum," which aired in 2004. She last appeared in director Park Chan-wook's 2005 film "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance."

"Since getting married and becoming a mother and a wife, I've been thinking more about what is a good life," said the 44-year-old actress. "Since choosing Saimdang, I've been trying to identify with her concerns and through it, display my talents, raise my children well and guide my family."

Lee's lover in the drama is Lee Gyeom, a Joseon Dynasty artist skilled in painting, calligraphy, music and dance. The fictional character is played by Song Seung-heon.

He said he accepted the role most of all because he would be able to star opposite Lee.

"The fact that I'm here and able to work together with (Lee) in her first piece in 10 years is in itself an honor and joy," he said during the press conference. "On my first shooting day with (Lee), I was reminded of my debut. I was that nervous and as (Lee) stood in front of me and looked into my eyes, I choked up and couldn't say my lines. My heart raced and I remember being so nervous."

The drama is scheduled to air simultaneously in South Korea and China in the second half of next year. It is being filmed in Gangneung, where Shin was born and raised.

Lee Young-ae (R) and Song Seung-heon speak at a press conference at a hotel in Gangneung on Nov. 30, 2015. (Yonhap)

Lee Young-ae (R) and Song Seung-heon speak at a press conference at a hotel in Gangneung on Nov. 30, 2015. (Yonhap)

Actress Lee Young-ae

Stars of 'Saimdang, the Herstory'

Actor Song Seung-heon (L) and actress Lee Young-ae attend a press conference in Gangneung on South Korea's east coast on Nov. 30, 2015, to promote SBS TV's new drama, "Saimdang, the Herstory." The drama depicts the life of Shin Saimdang (1504-1551), a renowned historical figure who was good at art, calligraphy and writing, as well as the mother of Lee Yulgok, a well-known Korean Confucian scholar. The drama is scheduled to air in the second half of 2016. (Yonhap) (END)

'Saimdang, the Herstory' Lee Young-ae "First romance story in 10 years, it made me feel nervous"

photo659429.jpg

Actress Lee Young-ae shared the behind-the-scenes story from the set of 'Saimdang, the Herstory'.

On the November 30th, a press conference for SBS' new drama, 'Saimdang, the Herstory' took place in the Seamarq Hotel, Gangneung.

Lee Young-ae said, "There's a romance storyline with Song Seung-heon. I'm doing this in ten years. It made feel nervous. Song Seung-heon told me he had nervous when he saw me. I also felt nervous and made mistakes filming".

She continued on, "We've postponed filming important (love) scenes until we become more familiar to this. Those trembling (out of nervousness) even could be seen on the monitor".

'Saimdang, the Herstory' depicts the love and art by Saimdang Shin in Joseon through the reinterpretation of her life. PD Yoon Sang-ho of "The Legend" and 'Tamra, the Island' and writer Park Eun-ryeong of 'The Woman Living Across the Street', 'A Second Proposal', and 'Go! Mrs. Go!' work together to create this highly anticipated new drama.

'Saimdang, the Herstory' is produced on the pre-production basis by 100% to pursue perfectionism. The drama is slated to go on air in September next year.

photo659489.jpg

photo659490.jpg

photo659487.jpg

photo659488.jpg

source

November 30, 2015

New pictorials of Lee Young Ae released

Source: STARN News

New pictorials of Lee Young Ae have been released.

The premiere of new SBS drama, 'Saimdang, the Herstory,' is quickly approaching, and actress Lee Young Ae, who is playing in the drama as Saimdang, released new pictorials.

The production team of 'Saimdang, the Herstory' had released character image cuts of Lee Young Ae on October 30th, and many people are showing hot reactions for her new pictorials as well.

Lee Young Ae talked about her activities as an ambassador for UNESCO Korea, participation in a fashion brand campaign, and outfits that she wore for recent events during an interview that was held along with the photo shoot.

Meanwhile, Lee Young Ae's new pictorials and interview can be viewed on JLOOK & Joongang Ilbo.

20151130193536_565c26785d4a9_1.jpg

/Reporting by Kim Hye-in en@starnnews.com

November 10, 2015

Song Seung-heon with Lee Young-ae, 'jealous' of the happy family

Source: Sports Hankooki via Hancinema.net

photo659812.jpg

Lee Young-ae and her family's happy picture was featured in the fashion magazine ELLE.

The picture is titled, 'Lee Young-ae's afternoon with the twins'.

The picture is of Lee Young-ae, her husband Jeong Ho-yeong and their twins Jeong Seung-kwon and Jeong Seung-bin.

Meanwhile, the new SBS drama "Saimdang, the Herstory" is a remake of the Joseon Saimdang and is due in 2016.

December 2, 2015

Park Chan-wook tops revenge chart

Source: The Korea Times

Untitled-15-650.jpg
Untitled-16-650.jpg
Untitled-17-650.jpg
From top, scenes from "Sympathy from Mr. Vengeance" (2002), "Oldboy" (2003) and "Lady Vengeance"

Film director Park Chan-wook has topped an American movie-ranking website's chart for the best Korean revenge movies, with his "vengeance trilogy."

Website "Taste of Cinema" posted "The 10 Best South Korean Revenge Movies."

Topping the list was Park's trilogy "Sympathy from Mr. Vengeance" (2002), "Oldboy" (2003) and "Lady Vengeance" (2005).

Park is a frequent guest at prominent global film festivals such as the Cannes Film Festival with "Thirst" in 2009 and the Berlin Film Festival with "Night Fishing" in 2011.

Park's films portray brutal vengeance by a main character.

Untitled-18-650.jpg  
From left, posters for "I Saw the Devil" (2010), "Mother" (2009), "The Man from Nowhere" (2010) and "Pieta"

In "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance," Song Kang-ho played a vengeful protagonist, while Choi Min-sik and Lee Young-ae each played a similar role in "Oldboy" and "Lady Vengeance," respectively.

Calling Park "the master of revenge," the website explains that the characters"are victims of a series of circumstances that soon become their own collection of tragedies."

On a news program on CBS Radio on Wednesday, actress Lee Jung-hyun, who won the Best Actress Award for "Alice in Earnestland" at the Blue Dragon Awards on Nov. 26, said Park had strongly encouraged her to take the role.

Park's trilogy was followed in order by "I Saw the Devil" (2010), "Mother" (2009), "The Man from Nowhere" (2010) and "Pieta" (2012). 

aoshima11@ktimes.com

December 3, 2015

Lee Young-ae says ‘reading books was very helpful’

Top actress Lee Young-ae said reading books was very helpful in her acting career during an interview on MBC’s new documentary program “Thank you, Small Library.”

(MBC)

“Thank you, Small Library,” which airs every Friday afternoon, is a new program designed to newly build or remodel small libraries in marginalized neighborhoods as part of corporate social responsibility from MBC and KB Kookmin Bank. 

The broadcast aims to stress the importance of reading books and the influence of small libraries on regional communities. 

Lee Young-ae, who is to appear on the show, also mentioned the importance of having indirect experiences by reading books.

“I try to read my children books (as much as possible) and I plan to go to a library with them when they grow up more,” she said. 

The documentary show, which begins on Friday at 1:30 p.m., was designed with an aim of increasing the number of public libraries in the nation where the figure is much lower compared to other advanced countries.

(khnews@heraldcorp.com)

• 3 weeks later...

December 20, 2015

Lee Young-ae endorses independent film ‘Where is my son?’

Actress Lee Young-ae is endorsing an independent film that tells the story of a former journalist living with his old mother in the country. 

The movie “Where Is My Son?” is a touching documentary featuring the 70-year-old son, who left his city life after retiring from a major media company to move in with his 95-year-old mother in his hometown. 

In the photo released by Lee’s agency, the 44-year-old beams, holding a white paper that reads, “Warm story. I am happy to join it. I hope many come to see the movie.”

The top actress is currently shooting for the upcoming soap “Saimdang, the Herstory,” her first return to the entertainment scene since the last film “Sympathy for Lady Vengeance” in 2005.

(khnews@heraldcorp.com)

• 2 weeks later...

Lee Young Ae Confirmed to Present Grand Prize in Jun Ji Hyun’s Place

Lee Young Ae Confirmed to Present Grand Prize in Jun Ji Hyun’s Place

Actress Lee Young Ae is in the spotlight for making her appearance on the awards show first time in 12 years.

Lee Young Ae’s representative revealed that she will appear at the 2015 SBS Drama Awards which will air live on December 31. On that evening, Lee Young Ae will be presenting the grand prize.

Initially, actress Jun Ji Hyun who received the grand prize for her role in “My Love From the Star” was supposed to be doing the presenting. However, she is in her eighth month of pregnancy which makes it difficult for her to be present at the awards ceremony. So, Lee Young Ae was approached to fill in for Jun Ji Hyun as the grand prize presenter.

As a result, Lee Young Ae who is slated to make her television comeback next fall through the drama “Saimdang, the Herstory” will greet her fans earlier than anticipated.

The 2015 SBS Drama Awards will air on December 31 at 8:55 p.m. KST.

source

• 1 month later...

February 1, 2016

Hallyu star's beauty photo book

Hallyu star's beauty photo book

Seen above is one of the photos of South Korean actress Lee Young-ae published by local magazine JLook in its February edition. Lee remains a top celebrity of "hallyu," or Korean pop culture, after rising to her starring role in the 2004 megahit drama "Daejanggeum" that gained Asia-wide fame. Lee, who does not make many public appearances, is coming back after a 10-year hiatus from marriage and rearing twins in the new drama "Saimdang, the Herstory," which will air simultaneously in South Korea and China in the second half of this year. (Photo provided by JLook) (Yonhap) (END)

February 1, 2016

Top actresses return to big, small screens

By Baek Byung-yeul The Korea Times

Once-famed top actresses are returning to the big and small screens this month and highlighting this month's cinematic lineup.

Actresses Lee Mi-yeon, 44, and Choi Ji-woo, 40, feature in the upcoming romantic comedy "Like for Likes."

The film features love stories of three couples who meet online and become couples. It pairs Lee with "Veteran" star Yoo Ah-in and Choi with Kim Joo-hyuk.

The two stars were top actresses in the 1990s.

Lee had been the"sweetheart"of the big screen, drawing young male fans with her looks since her 1987 debut.

Though she regained her popularity after featuring as the grown-up Deok-seon (Hyeri), on the recently finished smash-hit drama "Reply 1988," she has starred in many films and dramas since the 2001 TV drama "Empress Myeongseong." This time, she plays a veteran TV drama writer who falls in love with Yoo's character who plays the role of a top actor.

"Winter Sonata" star Choi plays a flight attendant in the film. Her last film appearance was in 2009 with "The Actresses." It remains to be seen whether she can make a big hit once again, following last year's hit cable drama "Twenty Again" and season 4 of travel reality show "Grandpas over Flowers."

Actress Son Ye-jin also returns with the action-comedy flick "Bad Guys Always Die" this month.

Following the success of period action flick "The Pirate" (2014), the 34-year-old actress plays the role of a mysterious woman who might be an assassin in the suspense road trip film. Set on Jeju Island, this film is co-produced by China and Korea, also featuring Taiwanese actor Chen Bolin and Korea's Shin Hyun-jun.

Top ‘80s actress Won Mi-kyung, who had starred in many films and TV dramas back then, also returns to TV.

In an interview with a local monthly magazine, Won said she hopes to grow old with her original fans.

"I would like to grow old together with my generation. It should be unnatural if an actress keeps looking young. I think aging is beautiful. I hope fans who haven't seen me for a long time would think that I am not the only one growing old through watching me perform," Won said in a Jan. 26 interview.

Making her acting debut in 1978 after winning the Miss Lotte pageant, Won had been on the screen on and off, featuring in a slew of films and TV dramas. With her 1979 debut film "The Trappings of Youth," she was awarded Best Rookie Actress at the Grand Bell Film Awards and Baeksang Arts Awards.

In 2003, she began a 14-year break from her career and lived in the United States with her family. She will feature as the wife of a Chinese restaurant owner in the upcoming MBC TV drama "Happy Home."

Later in the year, actress Lee Young-ae will finally make her comeback after 11 years, taking a lead role in "Saimdang, the Herstory."

The 45-year-old actress is mostly known for her role in MBC's "Jewel in the Palace," the biggest hit TV drama of the 2000s with an average viewer rating of 41.6 percent in 2004. She put her acting career on hold after taking a lead role in director Park Chan-wook's 2005 crime thriller "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance."

baekby@ktimes.com

February 1, 2016

Lee Young-ae defies the years

Source: The Korea Times

Y2016020101602-650(0).jpg

Y2016020101603-650(0).jpg
Lee Young-ae from "JLOOK" magazine / Yonhap

Actress Lee Young-ae seems to defy her age in newly released magazine photos.

The hallyu star, 45, most known in Asia for the popular Korean drama "Jewel in the Palace" (2003) posed for monthly lifestyle magazine JLOOK's February edition.

Three photos, taken at the Four Seasons Hotel in Seoul, show the mother of two looking young and beautiful in elegant dresses.

Korean herbal cosmetics brand The History of Whoo, for which Lee is a model, took care of the make-up.

In the magazine, she talks about her upcoming TV drama "Saimdang, the Herstory," in which she plays Shin Saimdang (1504-1551), a noted artist, poet and the mother of Confucian scholar Yi Yulgok.

"I wanted to look appropriate in the magazine to go along with my role in the drama, whose character is modern and active yet conservative," online daily TV Daily quotes Lee as saying.

The drama is due to screen this year.

aoshima11@ktimes.com

February 1, 2016

Age is just a number for Lee Young-ae

Source: TV Daily via Hancinema.net

photo680656.jpg

Actress Lee Young-ae's beauty pictorial has been revealed.

On February 1st, life style magazine, JLook has unveiled a beauty pictorial starring Lee Young-ae for their February issue.

In the pictorial, Lee Young-ae shows off her white jade-like beautiful skin in a piece revealing her shoulders. She looks sophisticated and classy with the updo hairstyle.

Lee Young-ae revealed her thoughts on her comeback drama, 'Saimdang, the Herstory', 'The role I'm playing is a modern, active and yet feminine woman. So I wanted to showcase the image".

She also shared her beauty tips, "My skin is somewhat sensitive. It became more sensitive and drier when shooting dramas and movies. So I pay more attention. I tried to drink water often and apply moisturizers frequently".

Archived