[drama 2008] Robbers 불한당

Guest o-cha

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest imogene_af

just finished ep 4..another great episode...

This episode is a really powerful episode in my opinion... I was impressed by Jang Hyuk's performance here. He is able to make me loathe and love him at the same time. Same goes for Kim Jung Tae... great performance.... I laugh at him but at the same time I feel sorry for him.

Yes, those were some strong performances from Jang Hyuk and Kim Jung Tae.

I'm actually liking the fact that I have a love-hate-fascinated-disgusted-relationship with Kwon Oh Joon, I just feel there is more to him than his miscreant ways.

lilyrose- I like your Othello parallel. And I do see his vulnerability and his "suffocation", I think that's the reason why that scene in the train station was so claustrophobic and boxed in, to see it in his world.

Edited to add:

Oh Joon's character really reminds me of the man based on Will Smith's character in the popular play "Six Degrees of Separation"... that character is based on David Hampton, a young con man who goes in and out of the New York social circle claiming to be Sidney Poitier's son ... he would milk money off of his lovers or people who were willing to listen to him. He has hurt a lot of people. He was seen as a despicable man but one of his victims saw redemption in him. Tried to help him and everything. When he had changed his ways, he later kind of went incognito. Later on, he died of AIDS complications. I just thought it reminded me of that. Not the AIDS part but you know, the things he did and how people saw through some redemption out of it.

Guest joenjwang

I am getting farther and farther from Oh Joon's character, but am growing closer ( and giggly) with Jingoo and Mandoo.

AIGOO MANDOOO IS SO CUTEEE!

I love him to death.

In episode three, when he was biking away, Oh Joon was like "AT LEAST LEAVE SOME MONEY!!!"

He made an excuse to be mad at Mandoo so that he could manipulate him to get him to give him some money. (by making him feel guilty)

TSK TSK! My respect for Jang Hyuk from the drama THANK YOU and movie WINDSTRUCK is slowly depleting. :(

Im not totally disgusted by his attitude though. Human beings are imperfect, this is just an example of his imperfection. (im-perfectness? IDK)

But anyways

MANDOO IS AWESOME!!! I was sad butlaughing at the same time when mandoo was crying in the bathroom (ep 3). He was like "Im scared of the women that keep coming and asking for you. Im scared of those men who keep asking for you...IM SCARED!!!"

Mandoo is so innocent.

So sweet. . . sigh*

You know what though?

I bet mandoo is probably going to go out with that girl....the bank girl...forgot her name. I bet....but I hope not because I find her quite annoying. She's clingy, and has no pride. Like in the begginning of Robbers, she was willing to give her body away. She looks so innocent but woah....

I hope Mandoo gets a good girl.

and JinGoo...SO CUTE! I think the social awkwardness just makes his character more appealing.

Okay. Ill stop giggling now.

Guest lilyrose

:lol: This drama has me so excited! I just love reading all the comments.

o-cha: I completely agree with you about the Yeon Ah (money exchange girl) situation! That scene with her is deftly followed by a harrowing and suffocating scene in the train station, so well described as "claustrophobic and boxed in" by imogene_af. Both scenes--his brutal and raw anger at the girl AND his brutal and raw fear and pain in the train station--are crucially connected. They layer Oh Joon's character so well.

I might be the minority here (along with lilyrose lol) on my view of Oh Joon.

:D:P

yeah, I think there will be three or four of us rooting for Oh Joon--and pining for him as well.

"Oh Joon on how emotionally taxing it must be for him to have to treat someone like that. In the next scene we see Oh Joon with his head down by the subway train station. He was probably feeling all the emotional toll it took to treat Yeon Ah earlier."

So beautifully put!!!

I haven't said much about Jin Goo... because until now he seemed more like a comedic foil to the tragic protagonist/main narrative, but this episode, thankfully, finally gave him something more than a caricature outline of a anal-retentive nerd. I finally felt something for Jin Goo because his role in the drama is making sense finally--he is as wounded and empty and hurt and drained as all the other characters we have seen. The fact that his wedding photos are neatly excised of his wife left me impressed and wanting more. I do hope that the writers develop him into a well-rounded character and not a cutesy stereotype.

About the kiss: Sigh. I really, really, really hope she kisses back--even a bit. I HATE kissing scenes where the female lead bats her eyes and the guy does the kissing (which is why the kisses in Coffee Prince and MNIKSS are my favs--strong women kissing back). But away from my dirty mind: that scene is real--for Oh Joon. He feels something for her--he may not know what, but there is something. That kiss, the look in his eyes, the way he seems surprised by his own emotions, the way he slides up to her, the way he takes him time to reach over, the way he kisses lightly and then draws her closer in, all add up to the second genuine show of "affection" we have seen from him (the first one being the time he gently grazes her hair from her face in the hospital).

imogene_af, I haven't seen the movie you mentioned, but based on your description, and based on several hints in the drama itself,

:tears: I am fairly certain that this will be yet another MISA-like ending (complete with nose bleeds), which makes the MISA lines in EP2 rather ironic.

I will be counting the days to EP5.

Guest imogene_af

:lol: This drama has me so excited! I just love reading all the comments.

About the kiss: Sigh. I really, really, really hope she kisses back--even a bit. I HATE kissing scenes where the female lead bats her eyes and the guy does the kissing (which is why the kisses in Coffee Prince and MNIKSS are my favs--strong women kissing back). But away from my dirty mind: that scene is real--for Oh Joon. He feels something for her--he may not know what, but there is something. That kiss, the look in his eyes, the way he seems surprised by his own emotions, the way he slides up to her, the way he takes him time to reach over, the way he kisses lightly and then draws her closer in, all add up to the second genuine show of "affection" we have seen from him (the first one being the time he gently grazes her hair from her face in the hospital).

imogene_af, I haven't seen the movie you mentioned, but based on your description, and based on several hints in the drama itself,

I am fairly certain that this will be yet another MISA-like ending (complete with nose bleeds), which makes the MISA lines in EP2 rather ironic.

I will be counting the days to EP5.

Hehe, I hope she does kiss back too, maybe when she's not caught by ultimate surprise.

:lol: maybe in the later episodes there will be more kissing. Heck the previews had the characters kissing.

:lol: It's not a dirty mind!

I really hope they keep their promise that though this is a melodrama, they'll keep it heart-warming and human. So MISA ending will break mah heart. As Oh Joon said, "Tissue! Tissue!"

Guest lilyrose

I really hope they keep their promise that though this is a melodrama, they'll keep it heart-warming and human. So MISA ending will break mah heart.

It will break my heart into tinier pieces than MISA did, and I didn't think my heart could be shattered that thoroughly until that drama. They better keep it heart-warming and NOT heart-wrenching/breaking/demolishing.

As Oh Joon said, "Tissue! Tissue!

Oh man, I am laughing so hard right now. You have a way with words, imogene_af!

TSK TSK! My respect for Jang Hyuk from the drama THANK YOU and movie WINDSTRUCK is slowly depleting. :(

Im not totally disgusted by his attitude though. Human beings are imperfect, this is just an example of his imperfection. (im-perfectness? IDK)

Aww..I hope you mean your respect for Jang Hyuk's character,not Jang Hyuk himself? :) He's just a talented actor after all,commited to give his all in portraying his characters the best way he can,be it in a movie or a drama. ;) Dr Min from Thank You is still up there on my list,unhurt and unscathed..while Kwon Oh Joon is so far below it I'm not sure where his name has landed,at the time being.Or maybe it's because I haven't decided where it should be,just yet. :)

I hope Mandoo gets a good girl.

and JinGoo...SO CUTE! I think the social awkwardness just makes his character more appealing.

Okay. Ill stop giggling now.

I'm looking forward to see Man Doo's character developing,and could never guess what's in store for Jin Goo.No,actually.. I could never guess what's going to happen to all the characters in the drama at all!! :sweatingbullets:

And thanks so much for all the insightful posts,ladies(and gent?). What would this thread (and the experience of watching 'Robbers' )be without all of you. :)

WOAH..reading all you guys' insights was just a wonderful and meaningful ride for me..

I learn so much just from going thru the different perspectives..

I especially liked the ones with Oh Joon.. I haven't seen Ep 3 or 4 yet, but it seems like he's pissed some ppl off with his flawed and despicable antics? I'll prepare myself..to embrace that feeling.. cos I hardly dislike the main leads in Kdramas, and here we have a HUNK, who totally let me swoon over him in Thank You. :wub:

Well despite all the "attacks" against Oh Joon, I personally think it's a good thing for the actor Jang Hyuk. We hate Oh Joon so much because he's just so heartless, brutal (not literally)..and even the arrogant Dr Min in Thank You's still an angel compared to Oh Joon. What does this mean? This means that Jang Hyuk's already effectively shaken off ppl's mind his dreamy role in Thank You, and has fully embraced within himself Oh Joon's character. And such a huge disparity between the 2 characters..you can't say anything but applaude JH's successful transformation. :D Well done to the actor...^^

Aiks..I don't think I will have anything to write, having read everything above...>.<

Guest alcyone

i watched ep 1 & 2

man..it's hilarious, especially with Kim Jin Gu's father....that grandpa...OMG....i replayed the scene where he pretended to be Kim Jin Gu and met Dal Rae at the restaurant......hhahaahahhaha i could never get bored watching it over and over again.

My other fav scene is when Kim Jin Gu and his father sat down watching tv, and he threatened Kim Jin Gu to go and have a date with Dal Rae, he just won't take any excuse. hahahaha

haha i think i'm the only one here who dont hate oh joon lol.

i really want 2 know what is it that makes him bcoming such a bad richard simmons..then i'll judge.

Guest Mr.Saturday

I think this drama is connected to the gang too much.

And also this drama makes me feel worse when I watch it.

All the characters are bipolar and I don't understand their "personalities".

Probably the most "annoyingest" drama I've seen so far.

haha i think i'm the only one here who doesnt hate oh joon lol.

i really want 2 know what is it that makes him bcoming such a bad richard simmons..then i'll judge.

You're not the only one...I don't hate Oh Joon...yet..lol. Have you seen episode 4? That episode is probbaly what makes people not liking his character.

awww that's too bad. I am enjoying discovering more and more about each character's personalities and background. I don't see many gang scenes though...and the I thought the few ones in there are funny. Well...this drama is not a comedy or a real lovey-dovey drama so I understand what you mean when you say it makes you feel worse after watching it. I did feel somewhat that way too after watching eps 3 and 4...the characters really made me feel what they're feeling... for me I don't necessary feel worse but I definitely felt something lingering on even after the end of the episodes...kindda like a dull pain for the character's pain.

Has there been any news of the OST scheduled release?

That slow orchestral waltz they play when things are reflective and soulful..

-- 1-2-3 , 1-2-3, 1-2-3,,,, has a haunting melody..

I haven't seen or heard anything yet on the OST release. I hope they do it soon.

joenjwang : I hope you mean Oh Joon and not Jang Hyuk..hehehe. Like ripgal said Oh Joon is despicable but not necessarily the actor Jang Hyuk. I think JH has done a great job portraying a character that is 180 degrees different from his characters in Thank You and Windstruck. I guess the more people disgusted by Oh Joon just proves that he has been successful in transforming into Oh Joon :) . In reality JH is far from Oh Joon...lol.

ripgal : you should watch eps 3-4 this weekend and give your insights. I'm curious to see what you think of the episodes..and of course the hot topic of Oh Joon the 'jerk'.

imogene_af :

yeah...there should be more kiss scene (I hope). Dal rae was just taken aback...afterall she was busy with her brething routine when Oh Joon stole a kiss from her...lol.

I hope next week the writer and director will tell us more about Oh Joon's background. Maybe something too make him looks better? :lol:. So far we've seen good in almost all of the characters with the exception of Oh Joon. And yeaaah I'm looking forward to the next episode. There's still so much layers over so many of the characters...I can't wait to see what's in there as we 'peel' each layer one by one.

Guest imogene_af

:lol: at bipolar. I think Dal Rae and Oh Joon can get along that way, bipolar and in love if ever. hahahaha. There's not much gang scenes, though. I think our mafia ahjussi used to be in a gang as said in his character description. It's the two goons who follow Oh Joon who are in the gangs.

kalchi I don't hate Oh Joon. I'm not dropping the bucket on him just yet. :lol:

Ripgal I cannot wait for you to see it. I love reading your insights.

I just love reading this thread, it seems like we're pretty invested in this, whether we like it or not,huh?

oh. i'm so late. i can't join your discussions. i'm also trying to avoid the spoilers.

i've only watched the first episode without subs. but thanks for your summaries, guys, i sort of understand it. and i'm gonna watch it again with subs when i get home later.

i'll try to finish the four episode this weekend. *cross-fingers*

Guest imogene_af

Robbers - Ep 4 Kissing BTS

Download: http://www.fs2you.com/zh-cn/files/77215f63...7-00142218fc6e/

Robbers Dal Rae BTS

credits: baidu

Thanks for the link.

We can hear "You Bad" the theme song for Jin Dal Rae and Kwon Oh Joon during the NG clips. :lol: Background of Lee Da Hae laughing throughout this kissing scene may be distracting when it comes to hearing the song. Haha.

6tfvsi0.jpg

6olub8p.jpg

6l42vk7.jpg

The ep. 4 KISS NG is fantastic!

The first 1/2 of the video they're playing Rascal Flatts singing,

GOD BLESS THE BROKEN ROAD THAT BROUGHT ME BACK TO YOU...

Which does seem to keep with a developing theme we had going yesterday (now 5 pages back)

that oh joon can find a way to be good again.

For those who are pointing devil eyes at Oh Joon - it sometimes helps to watch the NGs,

because it reminds us that Jan Hyuk is only playing a scoundrel, he is NOT the character he is playing..

Jan Hyuk is warm and funny and very caring in these behind the scenes..

AND when you want to hate Oh Joon

- you MUST remember that we are led to feel that way because of an amazing actor,

who is only following a writer's script and a director's direction.

and also, if we all wanted to see the same things, same themes, hear the same dialogues...

we would only need a

ONE CHANNEL TV----IN ALL THE WORLD.

but tastes vary - and themes vary - and writers don't all write the same book...

So, in this world - most of us -

if we don't like this series, or Oh Joon's character - can change the channel.

I wanted to comment after watching Ep 3 and Ep 4..but I just couldn't resist myself..

I had to come here, right after watching Ep 3...hehhee.. ^_^

I really enjoyed Ep 3, just as much as I had enjoyed the first 2 eps.

Altho Ep 3 wasn't as lighthearted and funny as the previous episodes, I liked how the episode managed to capture the inner conflicts and turmoil of the individuals. As much I as I wanted more hilarity and humor, I thought Ep 3 (albeit the sadder tone within) was perfectly executed given that it was an episode showing the "innerside" of the ppl inside..

I won't go into the individual scenes now..because there were several, which really touched my heart deeply..some which I've never really had the chance to feel in Korean dramas. I intend to cap those scenes and write about them later.. hehehe..

But yes, Ep 3 did not let me down. I was impressed with everybody's acting.. especially Jang Hyuk's. His portrayal of the scoundrel's so impressive that I can't help but detest his his scheming and cunningful mind..The drama really FOCUSED on his bad side, and made him out to be one who really doesn't care about the ppl he cons. It sorta throws off every single kind of excuse that I can think of to forgive this guy.. and we usually don't see such kinda roles in Korean dramas. Cos the main leads in Korean dramas -- if they're arrogant or bad..or just not a good guy, the drama will certainly show the soft side of the characters. eg.. feel bad for the girl, feels sorry for doing something bad. But here we have a REAL jerk and scoundrel Kwon Oh Joon, who does not give a damn about other ppl, other than just to get his money. This was especially shown at the part of

Oh Joon staring at fainted Dal Rae on the road..in typical korean dramas, such a character would have already rushed to help the girl, and WILL DEFINITELY NOT run away just like what Oh Joon tried to do. And when he was carrying Dal Rae on his back, he kept thinking of the money! How despicable! Again, in typical korean dramas, that would not happen. Such dramas would already have fallen back to the main lead (despite all his cunningul schemes) rushing the girl to the hospital without any hesitation, and would have thought more about the girl's sake, and not about the money.

That's what I like about the drama.. it tries to be different when it comes to Kdrama cliche.. and it's doing a good job IMO. I like it.. the execution and direction of the drama, plus the good dialogues makes it fresh despite it's predictability..

And once again to reiterate, I love Dal Rae's MIL! She's probably one of the most loving MIL I've seen. Dal Rae and her MIL's scene in this episode was just so beautiful.It was so heartwarming when Soon Dae came rushing to their embrace, seeing her mother and her grandma hugging.. such a close-knitted family.. it really touched my heart..it made me think of my family back in my hometown. :D

I know ppl might be steering away from the drama given its melo theme...I just hope you guys would still give it a chance. I really think it's so worth watching because of the "warmth" and "reality" it brings out..

Archived