Underrated/Overrated Dramas

Guest trulime

Guest ~LovelyGirl~

OVERATED= MY LOVELY SAM SOON , GOONG,STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN,JEWEL IN THE PALACE,WINTER SONATA,WONDERFUL LIFE

UNDERATED=FULL HOUSE, SAD SONATA, SASSY GIRL CHUN HYANG, SANGDOO LET'S GO TO SCHOOL, A LOVE TO KILL

I DUN KNOW PEOPLE WANT TO MAKE A FUSS OUT OF MNIKKS IT WAS A O.K DRAMA TOO REALISTIC AT THE SAME TIME TOO UNREALISTIC WITH A 30+OLD LADY FIND A 20+YOUNG HANDSOME PRINCE VERY FAKE IN REAL LIFE

FULL HOUSE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN MNIKKS

What is wrong with you??!! You don't have to shout it out to the world how MNIKSS is an overrated drama. i respect your opinion on that but do you really have to say you don't know why many people makes a fuss about MNIKSS!!?? Are you sure you even kow what your saying?? A drama being too realistic and too unrealistic?? What is that. Serenity is right, do you really expect a drama to be perfect???

And who says that a 30 + lady CAN'T find her a 20 + HANDSOME PRINCE??? There are so many stories like that. It's like your saying that woman like SamSoon ca never find her prince. Well you are so wrong about that!!!

Oh, I don't even get why you think Full House is underrated. :huh: A lot of people went hyped over Full House!!

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ripgal

no offence to ppl..

but regarding nglkt's comment.. i guess ppl were offended bcos u used caps.. and IMO.. Full House was not underrated at all..

but i respect ur opinion..;)

Guest loveit

I think full House, Kim Sam Soon, and love to kill are overrated. especially love to kill i found that series very irritating .

i would say Spring Waltz and bad family are underrated.

Guest ruffluv109

UNDERATED=FULL HOUSE

full house underrated?? :blink::blink:

probably you are still new to soompi that you have no idea how OVERRATED it was...

oh wellz, it's your opinion anyway....

Guest L00Ni34u

I think full House, Kim Sam Soon, and love to kill are overrated. especially love to kill i found that series very irritating .

i would say Spring Waltz and bad family are underrated.

I dont think A Love To Kill was overrated, actually it's underrated. If im not mistaken it received such poor ratings. And plus the only thing i find such irritating was the ending, other than that bi did a great performance on some of the scenes which he'll make you cry.

Another underrated was My Girl. Absolutely love this drama from beginning to end. I dont know why it had only a minimum of 20% ratings when this show should've had more. (just my opinion though, dont hate me.)

Edit:

As far as im concerned.. Im tired of looking at ratings. I'd rather watch something myself than rather depend to how high was the ratings. (but of course you cant take the fact if it was 50% + the ratings like MNIKSS, you'd want to watch it too. i have to say this was one of the MOST best kdrama that made me laugh, now you see why this had more ratings)

Guest tjadl6386

Since I'm not from Korea, I'll answer from my opinion based on my country's perspective.

Underrated:

Tale of the Nine-Tailed Fox - This drama was cut so much in our country. They fit all 16 episodes in just more than a month. I think it didn't do justice to it since the story was good.

Sang Doo! Let's Go to School - I tried to watch this when I had time. I somehow wondered why they didn't place this in primetime timeslot since it was a really good one.

Overrated:

Lovers in Paris - I didn't find it attaching that quickly (since I only got interested in watching during the latter parts) and the ending just ruined it for me. It was confusing.

Stairway to Heaven - I'm not really into this type of drama so I didn't pay as much attention to it. Even when I watched a few scenes, I wasn't quickly drawn to it.

Guest gingerbread

OVERATED= MY LOVELY SAM SOON , GOONG,STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN,JEWEL IN THE PALACE,WINTER SONATA,WONDERFUL LIFE

UNDERATED=FULL HOUSE, SAD SONATA, SASSY GIRL CHUN HYANG, SANGDOO LET'S GO TO SCHOOL, A LOVE TO KILL

I DUN KNOW PEOPLE WANT TO MAKE A FUSS OUT OF MNIKKS IT WAS A O.K DRAMA TOO REALISTIC AT THE SAME TIME TOO UNREALISTIC WITH A 30+OLD LADY FIND A 20+YOUNG HANDSOME PRINCE VERY FAKE IN REAL LIFE

As much as we're all entitled to our own opinions in this OVER-RATED & UNDER-RATED thread, I seriously think you've crossed the line here. Perhaps, it's your language ability or your immaturity, nevertheless, there's NO need to put one drama down just so to make another look better. Simply just state your opinions on why it's Over-rated/Under-rated.

Now to your question on the probability of a 30 yrs old lady falling for a 27 yrs old chap, i'm telling you it's POSSIBLE simply becos' of a post in MNKISS thread (page 174), whereby a lady by the name of "begbie58" posted that she got married at the age of 30 (just like Kim Sam Soon) to her wonderful husband who is 7 yrs YOUNGER than her. They're since happily married for 20+ yrs and have 2 wonderful kids.

Now to that contradicting mind of yours of MNIKSS on being "too realistic at the same time too unrealistic ... ". In every drama/movie regardless of korean, hollywood, bollywood, chinese, hongkong and singapore, you will have good-looking casts to spice up the show. The hype on the realistic part of MNIKSS is NOT abt the appearance of the cast but the way Kim Sam Soon and the other characters handled their situations which ordinary folks can relate to.

Now to your MOST UNnecessary and UNcalled for comparision, as much as i enjoyed "Full House", do you think it's REALISTIC to have a friend sell your house withOUT your signature OR bump and sitting beside a SUPERSTAR on a plane OR have a SUPERSTAR allowing you to stay at his home NOT fearing that there will be HEADLINES & GOSSIPS, half the time the SUPERSTAR is SUPER FREE to be bossing you around the house?? Are these "NOT very fake in real life" then?

Having gone through your UNDER-RATED list of dramas, i could conclude one thing here though, BI (RAIN) would be proud to know that he has a die-hard fan here, which now leads me to the next question, "Are you rating under-rated DRAMAS here or under-rated ACTOR here?"

Like SeReNiTy said, you DO have an issue here! I do not understand your rationale behind Hyun Bin's bashing as you just posted and ran away. But to put others down just so your idol looks better is just too childish for anyone's consumption.

Just as you could not comprehend MNIKSS, a cleverly scripted drama which is obviously beyond your age and maturity, others, likewise, may find those FAKER scenerios (as illustrated by gingerbread) depicted in FH totally inconceivable. However, I believe it has never been the threadstarter's intention to compare plots and casts. You simply state your piece on what's your under/overrated dramas. Such unjustifiable comments are best left at your personal blog, noone would even bother to challenge that clause.

No offense, but to me and obvious to all, your take seems to be:

overrated = all dramas that rated higher than Bi's.

underrated = all Bi's dramas, past and future, as long as they did not achieve 100% viewership ratings

Guest pinklily

Hi pinklily. As for the scene, I think HB did pretty well. (maybe I'm biased? :sweatingbullets: )

This is how I looked at it. At that time, Jin Hyun wants to meet up with Hee Jin again because he's angry, confused, and possibly excited. All he wanted to do was to get back to the hotel ASAP to sort things out with Hee Jin. Then, Sam Soon suddenly tells him that she likes him. I guess he doesn't know how to react besides giving her a "blank" expression. I see it as more of a "cold" expression rather than a "blank" expression.

Anyone, feel free to comment. :sweatingbullets:

Hi SeReNiTy dear! I have to agree with u on that, and I hope I'm not being biased here as well! :sweatingbullets:

I think it's just too overwhelming for Samshik to hear of Samsoon's sudden confession at a time where his whole mind is being taken over by thoughts of heejin and his urgency to rush back to the hotel for heejin's long overdued explanations. This has definitely overshot his threshold, leaving him totally dumbstruck, which explains his "blank" expression.

As for over/underrated dramas, I really have no comments. To me, there's no over/underrated dramas, only my personal preferences and dislikes.

I was just going to reply with the same exact answer when I realised that at least 2 others have beaten me to it. I can't promise that I'm not being biased here, though, because even though MNIKSS doesn't really rate that high in my life (I loved it, but k-dramas leave at most a fleeting impression on me), I do like Hyun Bin as an actor in general.

I'm a viewer who's automatically drawn to the second male lead in every single k-drama. Male leads are easily negotiable for me. It's a fatal flaw, because I don't get half as much fun watching a series for a person who appears only a fifth of the time. MNIKSS is the only exception, and I give Hyun Bin due credit for that.

Agree!!!!

I second this. That's exactly what I uderstood from his expression. I think his expression was right for that scene. I think he wa just really confused of the things happening. If I was in his position, I would have had that expression. He was such in a hurry to go back at the hotel and talk to Hee Jin so how could he have expected SamSoon telling him she had feelings for him especially at the road.

thank you all for your responses (i hope i didn't miss anyone). i really enjoyed reading all your comments...and just so i can do them justice, i went back to rewatch this particular scene again. and actually, i did find myself appreciating HB's acting more as a result.

originally i felt HB was a little too composed for someone trying to present a character who is presumably conflicted w/ all sorts of emotions. perhaps this scene being imo one of the bigger turning points for these characters...i anticipated something a little more dramatic in JH's reaction. but putting those notions aside...and imaging HB's approach to his character as something different from what i first perceived...i ended up finding JH's reaction palpable. that he was 'cold' towards SS because his mind was completely consumed by thoughts of HJ, and as a result, couldn't allow himself to be affected by anything (or anyone) else...would better justify both the character's reaction and HB's acting here. this must have been a quality of the character that i missed...or i must have given JH a little too much credit...anticipating that he would be a little more sensitive towards SS (this is afterall after 'the kiss'...and at this point, their 'relationship' has developed quite a bit)...and a little less emotionally attached to HJ.

looking at JH's reaction in the context of the entire story...at least everything that's happened leading up to that point...i still don't find JH's reaction here to be very consistent with what has developed of his character up until that point. however, now i can attribute that fault as being more a flaw w/in the character itself (how the character is written up), rather than it being a flaw in HB's portrayal of the character.

thanks for everyone's input on the subject...i'm certainly happy i was able to gain an alternative perspective on both JH's character and HB's approach to acting here. and now i have an urge to watch all of MNIKSS all over again. 5 minutes of KSS goodness was enough to convince me i missed the series...lol

Guest deevyne_

i think winter sonata was kinda overrated.

i still liked it...

but i just think think it was "the best" that everyone said it was.

thank you all for your responses (i hope i didn't miss anyone). i really enjoyed reading all your comments...and just so i can do them justice, i went back to rewatch this particular scene again. and actually, i did find myself appreciating HB's acting more as a result.

originally i felt HB was a little too composed for someone trying to present a character who is presumably conflicted w/ all sorts of emotions. perhaps this scene being imo one of the bigger turning points for these characters...i anticipated something a little more dramatic in JH's reaction. but putting those notions aside...and imaging HB's approach to his character as something different from what i first perceived...i ended up finding JH's reaction palpable. that he was 'cold' towards SS because his mind was completely consumed by thoughts of HJ, and as a result, couldn't allow himself to be affected by anything (or anyone) else...would better justify both the character's reaction and HB's acting here. this must have been a quality of the character that i missed...or i must have given JH a little too much credit...anticipating that he would be a little more sensitive towards SS (this is afterall after 'the kiss'...and at this point, their 'relationship' has developed quite a bit)...and a little less emotionally attached to HJ.

looking at JH's reaction in the context of the entire story...at least everything that's happened leading up to that point...i still don't find JH's reaction here to be very consistent with what has developed of his character up until that point. however, i can now attribute that fault as being a flaw w/in the character itself (how the character is written up), rather than it being a flaw in HB's portrayal of the character.

thanks for everyone's input on the subject...i'm certainly happy i was able to gain an alternative perspective on both the JH's character and HB's approach to acting here. and now i have an urge to watch all of MNIKSS all over again. 5 minutes of KSS goodness was enough to convince me i missed the series...lol

Hi pinklily! Really, that's just my thought, and I may be very biased there given my personal weakness for Hyun Bin. :blush: In fact, some of my friends share the same view as you on his 'under' portrayal of his character in that particular scene. But bias aside, I still think it's a completely plausible expression (or no expression) for me and that he really put up a commendable effort for this role! :D

Guest karicia

Just my opinion!

Over-rated:

A Love to Kill (I hate to say this as I love Rain!)

Stairway to Heaven (i found it dragged especially when KSW's character did get engaged to the evil girl for some time puzzling)

Summer Scent

Goong (Thought it wasn't too bad, loved the fashion that YEH wore, but the ending didn't warrant extra episodes as it wasn't anything spectacular)

Under-rated:

1% of Something (Didnt really like Kim JUng Hwa at first, but it did grow on me. and it was rather enjoyable, for me, that is! Have no real clue what was the ratings though)

Sangdoo, Let's go to school! (thought the ending was odd, but I cried really badly and it showed family love, although father and daughter weren't related)

Wonderful Life (Eugene and Kim Jae Won showed struggles of a young couple. Pretty good)

Wedding (I must qualify this is just some strange reason of mine! I don't know why, but it made me think of what marriage actually consists of, is it just love etc... and how one must cope with arranged marriages... as well as Jang Nara looked really pretty!)

Rebirth/Resurrection (The motifs and the underlying symbolism is really good! IT had depth and the twist was... wow!)

I'm Sorry I Love You (It was moving, beyond belief)

PS: When I meant over-rated, I don't take into account what the ratings were, but the idea that there was quite a lot of hype about it, but it disappointed me in the end. And under-rated for me meant that; no matter how high ratings were, I feel more people should watch! \

Hope this makes sense!

As for MNIKSS, Full House: I like them both. Think they deserved the ratings they got.

I hope many understand that it's just my opinion and no real offence meant!

Guest trulime

WHEN DID MY THREAD GET SO BIG?!?!

yeah~~~i guess it can be taken this way.. but i still dun like the comparsion thingy, it is like bashing other dramas up...

and wad defines a great storyline and plot?? so many ppl have different opinions??

if the drama has 40% ratings in korea, obviously ppl watch it lOlx, whether is it for the cast or not we dunno right?

anywayz.. dun wanna argue.. we are all drama shippers. =D

:sweatingbullets:

totally agree with you with sticking with the over and underrated title and also agree with you, liquidfir, that the terms are a touchy issue... it might encourage conflict and people disagree with each other... i don't necessarily agree that just because people start comparing opinions that it should entail bashing... i'm not saying that people don't bash, they do.. it just can't be helped with a forum site that houses thousands of people from around the world, who grew up in different environments and life perspectives, and it also can't be helped that some people are more or less mature than others.. what we should do is take everything with a grain of salt, it's not to say that we should condone foul language when talking about opinions, but that opinions when respectfully given, is perfectly tolerable... i don't see anything wrong with dissenting opinions.. i know it's difficult to swallow the fact that there are people who might dislike a particular artist or drama that you are a fan of- "you" in this case as a general "you" and not a personal address to liquidfir- but just as long as namecalling doesn't arise, i don't see why he/she can't say that, "you might like that band, but i sure as heck don't!" the kind of content i consider bashing is when personal attacks are directed to the person expressing a certain preference, like: "you're so stupid and immature for like that sucky-a$$ band."

anyways, this is my comments to the two quotes above about changing the title. overrated adn underrated is a bit different than what is ur fav drama.. because it's an opinion about a drama that you htink shud get more attention or less attention, you can like ur overrated dramas too. if you dont' agree and think it shud be what drama do you like best, then make your own thread.

also please be mature. state what you think is overrated and underrated and why. i really despise seing comments like the one right below..

OMGG ME 2!!!!!!!!

UGH THAT DRAMA WAS SO EXAGERRATED

AND SO ANNOYING!!!!!!

FULL HOUSE HAS TO DIE..

SORRY GUYS

COME ON. saying a drama sucks and apologizing.. seriously. when i put my first post up i said which one i thought was overrated and underrated. i never said i hated ANY, because even some of my overrated ones i liked them. so yeah, i like that a lot of people replied but please be mature.

Guest merela

I think Hello God was totally under-rated. In my opinion, it is the best drama of 2006 (as of today).

• 1 month later...
Guest ovette

well in my opinion, i think

a. princess lulu was sooo underrated :( i loved this drama so much. its so funny and had a romantic feel to it hehe!

b. my girl was underrated too! (yeah i agree, i got only 20+% ratings.) with its nice plot and great actors it could have gotten a higher rating.

c. MNIKSS is really overrated. i did crack up a few laughs with some of its joke. but thats it. the story wasnt that fascinating at all. very unrealistic.

well...thats it for me. :D

Guest guccigal

Overrated:

KIM SAM SOON- no chemistry and unrealistic. I find the leading lady too tough n rough

Winter Sonata- fell asleep on almost every episode

Lovers In Paris- KJE's acting wasn't convincing here, acted "too cute" for her age

Delightful Girl Chun Hyang

Underrated:

Aja Geum Soon- great script n chemistry

Bad Family- best comedy series!! MUST WATCH!!

Spring Waltz

Which Star Are You From- JRW portrayal as a naive n ignorant country girl is very convincing ( the LIP role would be very suitable for her)

Guest yum yum dimsum

OVERRATED

Full House - Bi/SHK were ok, but there was not much of a plot

MNIKSS - although i liked this series, i hve to admit it was OR

Stairway to Heaven - too much crying. although KSW/CJI hav great chemistry

UNDERRATED

Fashion 70s - really good drama, great cast/acting, great plot

Im Sorry I Love You - the two leads hav great chemistry.. good story too!

:sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:

overrated: Full House and Goong

...no offense or anything, but full house was good at first, and then it got soooooo slow and boring.....lacking a good plot

goong--extremely slow paced, hated it when the old lady talks b/c she takes forever even though she's kinda cute in an old ppl kind of way.

underrated...i guess tons...but most series i watch are very good at the beginning, and then they get to be boring and bland as they go on. i think it's b/c of the ratings are so low that the pd's conform and make the series all love squarish, gosh...that's only good to watch if the ppl can act and are good-looking.

Archived