Indie bands

Guest Requiem

Guest cococookie

my favourites:

the fray. frou frou !-absolute love love love-!

deathcab.

daphne loves derby.

tegan and sara

:D

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest petit_charat

Libertines and Babyshambles i think might be mainstream, but i haven't heard much of them. i know the song 'richard simmons Forever' by Babyshambles and loved the video for it. miniture pony!

EMA, you came to melbourne?! yay! ...Missing Link? damn, i live in Melb. but dunno wth it is. :blush: the website was very informative [We are located in the basement of 405 Bourke Street, Melbourne, between Elizabeth and Queen Streets, in the heart of the city.] i might check it out next time i go to the city. damn, if i had known earlier...might've been able to get some stuff. JB Hi-Fi is my saviour for now. :D

(random):HOLY CRAP...they sell Arctic Monkeys gigs tickets for cheaper!.....hmm, i MUST check this place out at once. thanks EMA!

Triple J is good station to tune into if you're living in Aust. i used to listen to Triple M, but i kinda dropped it.

i love indie music cos its so fresh and most of the time unique. why do you guys like indie music??? :)

ooh i decided to go check wikipedia in order to gauge (gage ? gaeeej . whatever the word is) the indie-ness of the libertines and babyshambles , and apparently they're both signed with rough trade . so that means indie ? o.o; but they seem fairly mainstream in terms of like , people know about them and things . but i'll pretend they're indie so i feel like a cool kid .... yep i will x]

i had a libertines dream yesterday wherein i was googling them , and then a new site came up called "breaking news" about how they'd just got back together in like , the last 5 minutes . i only found out about them like , yesterday , but when i woke up i thought it was true and i was all omigawdhurrah :lol:

ooh yes melbourne x] lovely place . i wasn't there for long though , my dad wanted to do a driving holiday to "experience rural australia" -___- . but then again , he was actually the one who found missing link , so it's not all bad . all i know is that its on the opposite side of the street to that old post office building turned designer shopping centre . i made the mistake of thinking it was on the same side , and went like 5 blocks too far . gah . it's just a door in the side of a wall too (next to a building site i think) , so you have to look for the sign . the sign ! argh . i swear i spent an hour looking for that place , so be prepared xD also , the kids in there are strange .. i felt so out of place wearing navy . it seemed almost wrong to be so brightly dressed . compared to all that black .... but yeah . highly recommended x]

i keep meaning to listen to triple j , but i keep buying cds i have to listen to and i really can't stand ads on the radio >.< i listen in the car a bit ! ehee

hm why do i like indie music .. i like the culture of it . not it in general i suppose , but i like the attitude and personalities and things (of the bands i like . i can't really speak for others o.o) . it's so much less difficult than a lot of other things going on , in that there seems to be a major connection with indie and reality . it's more honest than mainstream stuff . you can easily access info as to what songs mean and why and when they were written and for whom . it's like , because indie bands are so much less idolised , i suppose , by mainstream society , they're more ready to relate to it (from what i've seen) . i also just love the tunes , and the lyrics . when i compare say kings of leon's stuff to my new least favourite lyric by kelly clarkson "i wait for you like a kid waiting after school" , i personally feel like there's a fairly significant change in quality of thought and so on between the two . i also don't like the level of pretentiousness i kind of associate with celebrity , and the public denial and private acceptance of it .

meanwhile though i just like the songs , and indie boys look nice .... xD

oh gosh i make no sense today . i honestly honestly don't . dear oh dear

Guest jcraze

you did ramble just a bit EMA..

personally i feel alternative is a better term for these types of bands, just because people go ape at the term indie being directed at bands "gone mainstream", and to me alternative is anything not mainstream.

And EMA, Triple J doesn't have ads since its funded by the government(i think??) and it plays a plethora of different genres but its anything thats usually not mainstream, although it has played Kanye West, Foo Fighters etc. but they're rad so i'm not complaining.

Guest petit_charat

yes, indie = alternative in my dictionary. words these days change so rapidly...all of these new fads, trends, etc...

a lot of radio stations are cutting down on ads, mainly because the general public don't like them. i think Nova100 has ad-free progammes each day...but then again, i don't listen to the radio much any more.

ahah oh god that post of mine just now is unholy-ly long . how awful of me . i do apologise .

ooh no ads , eh ? nice one .

:D

</short and sweet>

^ i just had a listen on myspace , i quite like them ! the vocals are really nice-sounding , the guy's voice is interesting .

i just found a new friend (hurray) who has the greatest taste in music ever , so i'm stealing her bands and singers one at a time .

so , lupen crook anyone ? he kind of creeps me out <3

http://myspace.com/lupencrook

Guest tasty

Metallica

Iron Maiden

The Beatles

The Eagles

The Doors

The Cure

The Ramones

The Clash

The Misfits

Queen

David Bowie

those bands aren't indie.

Guest HeffyEnd

Incubus neone? or have they gone main

Yeah, like 7 or 8 years ago.

I don't think a lot of you know what indie means. But I'm also sure it's been explained & ignored in this thread several times.

Guest rumblefish

you did ramble just a bit EMA..

personally i feel alternative is a better term for these types of bands, just because people go ape at the term indie being directed at bands "gone mainstream", and to me alternative is anything not mainstream.

And EMA, Triple J doesn't have ads since its funded by the government(i think??) and it plays a plethora of different genres but its anything thats usually not mainstream, although it has played Kanye West, Foo Fighters etc. but they're rad so i'm not complaining.

Yup. No ads what-so-ever and yeah it is funded by the govt. it's part of the ABC. It's been around for ages! it's the "original" alternative youth station (and by that I mean the first, and possibly the only one still around)

I think I'm fairly spoilt now! hahaha, now I find it difficult to listen to other stations.... too many ads!!!

But Triple J is a great station... I love it because it's not exclusively indy so you can listen to anything and everything, of course there is stuff that Triple J doesn't touch (e.g. those pop idols or gangsta r'nb chart peeps), but it's good to have indie sensibilities without pretention. Afterall, it's all about good music, and if it's good music why should we judge?

Plus it has an awesome program that broadcasts a recorded live performance (played without interruption!) aand dedicated programmes for different genres... like experimental, punk, hip hop.... plus they support a lot of local bands!

haha I'm sounding like an ad for triple J, but honestly it is really good!

Even people who aren't in Aust should go check it out!

you can listen to it online:

you can go to their website:

www.abc.net.au/triplej/

or go directly to:

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/listen/default.htm

happy listening!

^ excellent bannnds ! ooh i'm from sydney too .

finally got around to listening to some jjj today , am v impressed <3 also , they were playing some augie march , and apparently are going to play a whole set onnn i forget when . i keep hearing about augie march , but not much info .. anyone know anything about them ?

Guest rumblefish

^ excellent bannnds ! ooh i'm from sydney too .

finally got around to listening to some jjj today , am v impressed <3 also , they were playing some augie march , and apparently are going to play a whole set onnn i forget when . i keep hearing about augie march , but not much info .. anyone know anything about them ?

^

yey a convert!

I heard them on monday! but I think they play it again on sunday.... hold on... I'll go and check the website.

SUNDAY: 30/04/2006

17:00-18:00 LIVE AT THE WIRELESS

+ First, an encore performance from Augie March. A month or so back, they put on a special show for triple j listeners at the Northcote Social Club in Melbourne. Recorded by us, for you.

There we go! Sunday!

I listened to a little bit of them.. sounded quite good :) I liked! But I don't know much about the band. :(

Guest rumblefish

^no problems! it was my pleasure ;)

speaking of indie...

who listens to vinyl/buys records?

I'd like to, but I spend too much on CD's already ;).

speaking of indie...

who listens to vinyl/buys records?

I'd like to, but I spend too much on CD's already ;).

zomg i want me a record player . i found a nice one , but they stopped selling them before i got a chance to buy it .

plus i don't spend much time in my room and record players aren't the most portable of objects ....

records seem so exciting , though . old school charm and whatnot .

Archived