Indie bands

Guest Requiem

Guest Maia-X3

Right now? Boy Kill Boy, The Automatic, The Pipettes, The Futureheads, The Go! Team, Hard-Fi, Placebo, Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers, Razorlight, Kings of Leon, Bloc Party, The Raconteurs.... Indie ftw. =)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maia-X3

^ OMG, we do? YOU ROCK!!

Are you British btw..? You seem to know a lot of british/indie bands and shows like Popworld... etc. etc.

Yes the automatic are awesome.... "what's that coming over the hill, is it a monster? is it a monster?" HAHA. I LOVE IT. <33

Guest crackednut

indie....hmmm

around here (Boston scene), its all about Dropkick Murphey's...who, personally, don't do much for me at all

when it comes to local stuff, I like Lincoln Conspiracy...nice "piano rock" (haha love that) band out of Allston

Throwback (Montreal band) are also nice

Clarias (also Boston-based)

Disciples of Groove (New Jersey)

Scarecrow Collection (also NJ)

Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer...seriously fun to listen to, just plain good fun

and Ozma...who are apparantly back together!! (I only found out recently lol)

^ OMG, we do? YOU ROCK!!

Are you British btw..? You seem to know a lot of british/indie bands and shows like Popworld... etc. etc.

Yes the automatic are awesome.... "what's that coming over the hill, is it a monster? is it a monster?" HAHA. I LOVE IT. <33

harhar SO DO YOU XDD !

i'm not british actually , but i'm one of those annoying people who latches on to other cultures and doesn't let go xP my family is largely english though , so i feel sort of connected , but i've never even been over to the uk , rofl i'm lame . i have to download popworld and things , though ! sad T_T since simon and miquita left i don't bother anymore :tears: ehee~

yayautomatic are so fab ! monster is the greatest song <3

Guest wendo

Goodbye Tomorrow (very mellow and his voice is nice [although nothing compared to the original lead singer Matthew which is now doing a solo project called Poem]) and The Sounds (catchy dance music from Sweden). check them out.

this thread should be more specific and actually be about a genre of music

um , why ?

we can hardly have "indie electro" "indie punk" "indie rock" threads when there's barely anyone contributing to this thread as is . not that the indie fans who are here aren't contributing , but there's not many of us about on soompi , is there ?

this is a forum about k-pop , so i'd say a good 80-90% of people are into that . the mainstream western charts are dominated by r'n'b , hip hop , pop and rock , and there's also a lot of c-pop and j-pop fans in here . there's like , 30 indie fans in the whole forum , and a few of them aren't all that interested anyway .

Guest jcraze

i think you underestimate the amount of indie fans EMA ... i think there are a fair bit.

Or rather instead of saying indie fans, rather people who do enjoy a variety whether it is mainstream or indie.

i think you underestimate the amount of indie fans EMA ... i think there are a fair bit.

Or rather instead of saying indie fans, rather people who do enjoy a variety whether it is mainstream or indie.

well where are they , then ?

there were only 4 posts in this thread yesterday . a lot of people come and say "i like these bands" and then never come back again . i'm in no way suggesting this applies to everyone , but a lot of people come here to namedrop and then richard simmons off back to the r'n'b threads . indie is "in" , but most people listen so they can tell people they do , and this is where they tell us .

what would be the point of having more specific threads anyway , when everything works fine with just the one ? by all means create them , but .. how many other fans of indie folk acoustic rock with a dash of electro are there ?

Guest jcraze

i never said it was enough to categorise different indie genres, but i dont believe its as little as you think, but yeah .... theres definitely not enough to put them into their own little genres.

What's wrong with namedropping about bands you like? I'm down with name dropping especially for the fact that i get to pick up new bands whenever i come through here. And if more people namedrop on some bands, that means they're popular enough to warrant a listen, thats not to say i dont give the other names a listen, i still would.

Before there used to be lots of people posting, it's died down now ..*Shrugs* oh well, theres still new bands that are posted here, and that pleases me.

i never said it was enough to categorise different indie genres, but i dont believe its as little as you think, but yeah .... theres definitely not enough to put them into their own little genres.

What's wrong with namedropping about bands you like? I'm down with name dropping especially for the fact that i get to pick up new bands whenever i come through here. And if more people namedrop on some bands, that means they're popular enough to warrant a listen, thats not to say i dont give the other names a listen, i still would.

Before there used to be lots of people posting, it's died down now ..*Shrugs* oh well, theres still new bands that are posted here, and that pleases me.

but you said it should be about specific genres of music . and presumably you were referring to indie genres , since otherwise .. there ARE threads about genres o_o

namedropping isn't the same as mentioning bands you like . namedropping is when people say "so , what do you think of modest mouse ?" "who ?" "oh no-one , it's just this new band , they're pretty cool." . like , their comment served no purpose other than "how awesome am i , i'm listening to a more obscure band than you" . mentioning and recommending bands is awesome , but i want to hear more than "i like ___ they are soo cool"

but you said it should be about specific genres of music . and presumably you were referring to indie genres , since otherwise .. there ARE threads about genres o_o

namedropping isn't the same as mentioning bands you like . namedropping is when people say "so , what do you think of modest mouse ?" "who ?" "oh no-one , it's just this new band , they're pretty cool." . like , their comment served no purpose other than "how awesome am i , i'm listening to a more obscure band than you" . mentioning and recommending bands is awesome , but i want to hear more than "i like ___ they are soo cool"

EMA, that was ME who said there should be specific genres of music, so leave the poor guy alone lol >_>;

OK, so anyway, my gripe about this thread is that it's so broad. I mean, when you use the word indie to describe a band, it should only imply that the band is on an independent label, whether it's metal, trip hop, folk, or w/e-- it's all still indie, even if they all sound completely different from each other. So with such a large spectrum of bands to talk about, how can anything be discussed/recommended in this thread? Someone might come in here looking for one genre, and find themselves mistakenly reading about another. It's just really misleading, imo. The only real way to discuss things in here is to properly name the specific genre for every band in this thread, and although i havent read the whole thing, i know that certainly hasnt been the case. THat's why, having read several replies to this thread, i think indie alternative would be best suited for this thread. it's rather large and contains many subgenres, so it would only exclude the bands most of you ppl wouldnt wanna hear anyway...and of course i say this having read you replies

And if you consider indie as a sound and a type of genre, then this thread is misleading, bc ppl are naming bands like daphne loves derby. I mean, i dont have anything against dld--but it's just not indie in the way it sounds. Honestly, i dont like saying a band SOUNDS indie, but i noticed ppl on this forum do..at least, ithink i did (too lazy to browse through lol). I mean, say someone actually goes out and buys the DLD cd thinking it sounds "indie". Yeah, he should have researched it first, and yeah it's his fault, but it wouldnt have happened if this thread was more specific =p

edit:

@EMA and btw, modest mouse is hardly a new band >_< i hope you were just using them as a random example to prove your point =p

umm Motion City Soundtrack?..well I guess they're not so indie anymore since more and more people have started to listen to them..same goes for Metric. Eisley is great, they've got a very unique sound. They're a unique band itself considering they're all brothers and sisters. One Republic is also a worthy band to listen to too.

EMA, that was ME who said there should be specific genres of music, so leave the poor guy alone lol >_>;

OK, so anyway, my gripe about this thread is that it's so broad. I mean, when you use the word indie to describe a band, it should only imply that the band is on an independent label, whether it's metal, trip hop, folk, or w/e-- it's all still indie, even if they all sound completely different from each other. So with such a large spectrum of bands to talk about, how can anything be discussed/recommended in this thread? Someone might come in here looking for one genre, and find themselves mistakenly reading about another. It's just really misleading, imo. The only real way to discuss things in here is to properly name the specific genre for every band in this thread, and although i havent read the whole thing, i know that certainly hasnt been the case. THat's why, having read several replies to this thread, i think indie alternative would be best suited for this thread. it's rather large and contains many subgenres, so it would only exclude the bands most of you ppl wouldnt wanna hear anyway...and of course i say this having read you replies

And if you consider indie as a sound and a type of genre, then this thread is misleading, bc ppl are naming bands like daphne loves derby. I mean, i dont have anything against dld--but it's just not indie in the way it sounds. Honestly, i dont like saying a band SOUNDS indie, but i noticed ppl on this forum do..at least, ithink i did (too lazy to browse through lol). I mean, say someone actually goes out and buys the DLD cd thinking it sounds "indie". Yeah, he should have researched it first, and yeah it's his fault, but it wouldnt have happened if this thread was more specific =p

edit:

@EMA and btw, modest mouse is hardly a new band >_< i hope you were just using them as a random example to prove your point =p

ooh my bad . apologies to both of you . neither of you have a dp or signature so i just assumed you were the same person :D eek , how awful of meeh >.<

anyways , i think with indie , it's hard to "put stuff in boxes" a lot of the time . there's indie as a sound , which makes me think of say , the kooks or the strokes (not that i know their label / listen to them ever , but their style makes me think indie) . i'd say a lot of the nme bands are "indie sounding"

but a lot of bands that i personally like aren't so much "indie sounding" as just "not very popular and thus known as indie because a girl i know gave me a huge spiel about what is indie and what is alternative and has told me my music is definitely not alternative" . plus , i don't know the genres of a lot of the music i listen to anyway :mellow: . i have a hard time trying to put say , cocorosie or iamx or even lupen crook in a "genre group" , especially since i don't know much about their influences .

ps , i don't listen to modest mouse / know anything about them x] someone said that exact thing to me though in an attempt to sound coolshizz , though , and i thought it was quite funny since they're hardly the band of the hour . the same person also told me "everyone she knows listens to this really cool group called cafe del mar" , who i looked up , and who seem to be non-existant . i think she was referring to a series of compilations or something which serve as the sort of soundtrack to a real cafe , but she must have just seen the name somewhere and thought "OOHNAMEDROP" . otherwise they're so obscure i couldn't find them anywhere , and there just happens to be a compilation by the same name

Guest jcraze

^ haha EMA, you like to fire up quickly. that's ok though ..

To be honest, its my opinion most people that listen to indie are down with a lot of different genres ... so i think its alright to list different genres, unless its a total change of style(ie rock / rap).

Quite suprisingly though is that a lot of rappers now are collaborating with rockers. I just heard a collab with Jurassic 5 & Dave Matthews Band. So it goes to show that maybe it is ok to name different genres of music.

Anyway i think this is done with so yeah, cool.

^ haha EMA, you like to fire up quickly. that's ok though ..

To be honest, its my opinion most people that listen to indie are down with a lot of different genres ... so i think its alright to list different genres, unless its a total change of style(ie rock / rap).

Quite suprisingly though is that a lot of rappers now are collaborating with rockers. I just heard a collab with Jurassic 5 & Dave Matthews Band. So it goes to show that maybe it is ok to name different genres of music.

Anyway i think this is done with so yeah, cool.

yerr i do . sorry . i do find it fun though , and i guess i sort of assume that other people do too , when in actual fact it tends to make people sad or genuinely angry or just like "wtf ema is not very friendly at all" ? i didn't mean to come across angry though , i think i was more confused in general / angry at people i know who keep namedropping bands they're never heard of , and it sort of spilt over into being meannn ..

i think indie listeners are generally ok with a lot of different indie genres , if that's what you meant . probably not so much into say , indie dance + mainstream rock or whatevs ?

:D

Guest petit_charat

....i've got a questions regarding indie music. if a local band made CDs themselves, thats not called indie music is it?....however, if the local band got a deal with a local recording company, thus it would be made into an indie record?..

i know its confusing when you read it, but i just wanted to know what was right...

anyways, haven't been able to watch Rage so my indie music know-how isn't up to scratch. its great to see lots of people enjoy listening to indie as well as their other favourite genres. i think its best that people have a wide variety of music that they listen to, cos their musical knowledge expands quite rapidly. i've learnt form experience and much heated discussion with my cousin who is a big Alternative music fan.

...i heard that Thom Yorke's new record is on an independant label (or that he hasn't got one yet or something...). so would that make him an indie artist for the time being? or would he be considered mainstream seeing as he has had much fame from his band Radiohead???...

hmm, two questions in the same post...i think i'm going insane =]P

Archived