Indie bands

Guest Requiem

^ an indie artist who got his start in a mainstream band i think .

as for the local v indie thing .. i'm very unsure o_O when does one become indie ? i still have trouble figuring out when one STOPS being indie

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sky82

....i've got a questions regarding indie music. if a local band made CDs themselves, thats not called indie music is it?....however, if the local band got a deal with a local recording company, thus it would be made into an indie record?..

i know its confusing when you read it, but i just wanted to know what was right...

anyways, haven't been able to watch Rage so my indie music know-how isn't up to scratch. its great to see lots of people enjoy listening to indie as well as their other favourite genres. i think its best that people have a wide variety of music that they listen to, cos their musical knowledge expands quite rapidly. i've learnt form experience and much heated discussion with my cousin who is a big Alternative music fan.

...i heard that Thom Yorke's new record is on an independant label (or that he hasn't got one yet or something...). so would that make him an indie artist for the time being? or would he be considered mainstream seeing as he has had much fame from his band Radiohead???...

hmm, two questions in the same post...i think i'm going insane =]P

So you are asking if band without a label is considered indie right? I still consider that indie. They are releasing it idependently on their own. How much more indie can you get than that?

Thom Yorke's new album is being released by Xl Recordings, which is an indie label, so yes that technically makes him an indie artist. However, I don't think being indie and being mainstream are mutually exclusive. For example, The Raconteurs, The Arctic Monkeys, and....well can't really think right now, but I'm sure there are lots more.

Anyways, I don't think all this is really important. Just as long as you like the music...

Guest `DEBI

Indie bands are those signed under independant labels and I think they stop being Indie by transferring over to major labels like Sony,Universal etc.Even if the artiste is currently on mainstream but whether he's indie or not depends on his label.Savvy?

I'm starting to listen to The Frays and The Perishers.I'm totally addicted to How To Save Life lol and the songs of The Perishers are so soothing.Really good.

Guest vividified

omg i just found out the butterfly effect is indie

i though they were with a major label

;) they are totally awesome (live too!)

Guest applejoosh

the spill canvas

mae

postal service

TELEFON TEL AVIV

bright eyes

yeah yeah yeahs

tokyo rose

tally hall

amber pacific

motion city soundtrack

the fray

copeland

thin dark line

bauer

minus the bear

kenna

anddd there are a lot of others but thats what comes to mind right now.

Indie bands are those signed under independant labels and I think they stop being Indie by transferring over to major labels like Sony,Universal etc.Even if the artiste is currently on mainstream but whether he's indie or not depends on his label.Savvy?

but see , that's the debate . as indie becomes more popular there's an emerging group of mainstream artists with indie labels , who people don't like to call indie . they're on an indie label , but they're well-known by the mainstream so much so that they're hardly "different" anymore , which is sort of what the essence of indie is all about . arctic monkeys for example ?

i don't have much of an opinion on the issue , but i think that's the other side of the situation .

Guest MUXU

^so is panic at the disco and fall out boy...both on indie label...but very much mainstream

havent listen to rock for a while..but recently i am quite obessed with the horrors

another UK band..another london band XD

seriously...bands from UK dress so nicely..they are one of the best dressed i say

and nice hair

love the song count in fives demo

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=28123580

i think there's every kind of "the" bands out there XD

so many bands are popping out of no where

Guest endlessrain

Death Cab for Cutie

Postal Service

Iron&Wine

Sufjan Stevens

The Mew

Straylight Run

The Decemberists

Ratatat

Bloc Party

<3 em.

<3 indie.

Guest petit_charat

Red Riders are a great Sydney indie band.

check out their myspace for more info: www.myspace.com/redridersmusic

they're supporting The Living End this september...so go check them!

Guest globosapien

i feel like an richard simmons for saying this, but sometimes i want indie bands to stay indie bands. i know it's success for the band, and i should be happy, but i tend to lose interest when they become mainstream.

here's an analogy to explain myself better.

discovering a great indie band is like discovering a great hole in the wall eatery. only you and a couple of people know about it... and then all of a sudden, when you visit the eatery after some time, you discover EVERYONE, i mean everyone eating there.

guess where you go for lunch next week? well, obviously NOT THERE.

it's sad, because some of these bands/singers i LIKED all started out really small with a really small fan base, and then all of a sudden they get big, and EVERYONE likes them... or everyone seems to THINK they like them... which just pisses me off.

well that's my rant.

*goes back and listens to the futureheads*

^ i know the feeling . especially when you've been there from the beginning , when everyone else wouldn't hear about how brilliant they were .

how many times have i heard "i've never heard of that band before , plus they all look weird - are they gay ? your taste in music is very hmminteresting .. meanwhile , did you know the pussycat dolls are like so hot right now ?" only to have them turn around and ask me a month later if i've heard of the band i mentioned . it's worse when they turn into one of those "loyal customers" who go out and buy all the merchandise without having a clue what anyone-in-the-band-who-isn't-the-token-hot-guy-or-lead-singer's name is .

on the other hand though , i've probably done the same thing in the past . plus i sort of think it's good to share the love - but only with the right people . if people GENUINELY love a band i do , i love them . but if not , i do get annoyed . then again , i don't know everything about the bands i like either , i'm hardly going to win fan of the year . i probably shouldn't be so elitist , but it's just depressing at times .. i feel your pain

but i suppose from a personal perspective , it's really annoying not being able to find any info about my favourite singer [for the month , anyway] online ! at least if they're popular it's easy to get some stuff on them xD

i guess i ll never be a die hard fan since i get over bands pretty fast..though i still like them

i think i am into their music more than the members...most the indie bands i listen to...i roughly know the members' names..i just like their music or a good image XD

does that make a fan? i dont know

depends on who you hang with though..to get those kind of comments on bands

usually i dont tell people who i listen to anyways =T not that i dont want people to "discover" them..i just dont bother

anyways...hedi slimane found a great band again

the littl'ans who did the s/s07 collection for dior homme

they are not even signed...o_o

i feel like an richard simmons for saying this, but sometimes i want indie bands to stay indie bands. i know it's success for the band, and i should be happy, but i tend to lose interest when they become mainstream.

here's an analogy to explain myself better.

discovering a great indie band is like discovering a great hole in the wall eatery. only you and a couple of people know about it... and then all of a sudden, when you visit the eatery after some time, you discover EVERYONE, i mean everyone eating there.

guess where you go for lunch next week? well, obviously NOT THERE.

it's sad, because some of these bands/singers i LIKED all started out really small with a really small fan base, and then all of a sudden they get big, and EVERYONE likes them... or everyone seems to THINK they like them... which just pisses me off.

well that's my rant.

*goes back and listens to the futureheads*

a lot of ppl feel this way, and ill admit that i do too. it's a really snobby/elitist way to view music, but yea, what can ya do lol :sweatingbullets:

Guest jcraze

i guess i ll never be a die hard fan since i get over bands pretty fast..though i still like them

i think i am into their music more than the members...most the indie bands i listen to...i roughly know the members' names..i just like their music or a good image XD

does that make a fan? i dont know

depends on who you hang with though..to get those kind of comments on bands

usually i dont tell people who i listen to anyways =T not that i dont want people to "discover" them..i just dont bother

anyways...hedi slimane found a great band again

the littl'ans who did the s/s07 collection for dior homme

they are not even signed...o_o

Im the same MUXU, whatever caresses my ear, i'm down with.

But i dont actively hit up info about the artists.

MUXU , i probably came across a bit wrong . i don't really mean that you have to know all about an artist to be a proper fan , i sort of just took that as an example , because it so often happens that people pretend to like artists by namedropping a couple of songs . i don't think you need to know all about a band to love them , but it's sort of one of those things that's common among people who are only pretending to like a band so they can tell other people they love them ?

i was thinking of one person in particular who does that sort of thing -_-

ah i don't tell people anymore . now i'll have them sifting through my ipod abusing all the music i listen to "transgender ? finnish ? synthesizer ? what's wrong with rnb !" x_x

is there anywhere to listen to littl'ans ?

^haha..that's funny..how can they tell if the artist is "transgender" through their music...i have never met someone who would say something like that XD

here's another video i found with pete doherty in it if anyone is interested...it's from the littl'ans..they collaborated with pete

http://www.littlans.com/releases.htm

http://www.littlans.com/ (OHP)

http://www.myspace.com/littlans

http://www.diorhomme.com (under soundtrack for the s/s07 show music) i personally love this track alot...it suited the clothing very well

Archived