Indie bands

Guest Requiem

Guest Rikku22

Mae

THE HUSH SOUND!!!

Paramore

Surefire High (a local band here in michigan)

a whole lot more but i don't know if people consider them "indie" enough

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VersusVillain

death cab for cutie is still signed with barsuk record company, and barsuk is not a major label company, so theyre still considered indie.

And Miramax isn't a very large distribution company, but would you consider Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill Vol. 1 "indie" films?

When a band is originally "indie", and then gains mass popularity, the way Death Cab for Cutie has, their independent credibility is obviously questioned, no matter what label they're signed to.

If they start off indie and they havent changed their sounds, whether they get popular or not is of no consequence to their "indie" sound.

Guest Requiem

I really don't think a band shown almost every half hour on MTV should be considered "indie". <_<

What band are you talking about?

death cab for cutie is still signed with barsuk record company, and barsuk is not a major label company, so theyre still considered indie.

No, they've signed with Atlantic Records now.

Guest VersusVillain

If they start off indie and they havent changed their sounds, whether they get popular or not is of no consequence to their "indie" sound.

Their sound doesn't matter. When independent/obscure bands gain popularity, they're no longer obscure and they're hardly indie. Why? Because they're popular amongst the mainstream audience, and mainstream music in general.

What band are you talking about?

I was talking about Death Cab for Cutie.

Their sound doesn't matter. When independent/obscure bands gain popularity, they're no longer obscure and they're hardly indie. Why? Because they're popular amongst the mainstream audience, and mainstream music in general.

I was talking about Death Cab for Cutie.

I see it on the contrary, since when someone asks for a certain 'genre' of music they're looking for a specific sound. If a band, whether it has gained mainstream popularity or not has not changed their sounds but rather the mainstream audience has followed their trend then i still feel their music is indie to me.

But i suppose to class indie as a genre is using the term loosely, since indie music encompasses so many different styles of music.

Guest RYUUSEi

Yellow Card, Death Cab for Cutie, hellogoodbye, Arctic Monkeys, We are Scientists, the Postal Service, Jack's Mannequin, the Academy is ... blah, blah blah.

Guest Requiem

Yellow Card, Death Cab for Cutie, hellogoodbye, Arctic Monkeys, We are Scientists, the Postal Service, Jack's Mannequin, the Academy is ... blah, blah blah.

Yellowcard isn't indie. You see their music videos all over MTV and even on V-Cast commercials.

Guest sarah is sleepy

arctic monkeys is pretty sweet. i'm into the british sound. the kooks, shout out louds, black wire, klaxons etc.

also archers of loaf, arcade fire, ariel kill hiim, the colour, cruiserweight, feist, her space holiday, kings of convenience, ladytron, levy, metric, margot and the nuclear so-sos, tilly and the wall, umbrellas, the shins, shiny toy guns & alice in videoland.

Guest petit_charat

The Kooks...i've heard of them but never actually listened to any of their songs. they're a pretty 'talked-about' band over in the UK.

any song recommendations??

Guest sarah is sleepy

^ You'll definitely like them if you're an Arctic Monkeys fan.

Try "Ooh La" first, it'll get you hooked. Also, "California," "Sofa Song," "She Moves In Her Own Way," and "Eddie's Gun."

Ahahahah, I saw Metric on the featured music on Myspace.

that's because they are amazing. :] I looove "The Police and the Private," and "Too Little Too Late."

Guest pprMNTE

Styrofoam is my favorite at the moment. The "Nothing's Lost" CD, especially. Got me hooked to listening to Andrew Kenny's voice. :X It's so soothing.

Archived