Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2025: Ask the Stars; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint; Completed drama Pachinko Season 2 on Apple TV+

CarolynH

Episode 5 preview

cr: Netflix Japan

Lee Min-ho Focus Cam, Press Conference of "The King: Lord of Eternity"

Edited by syntyche
  • Like 8
  • Love 3

"The King" ranking on Netflix

credit as tagged

EWnki9GUwAAMNu5?format=jpg&name=large

%ED%81%AC%EA%B8%B0%EB%B3%80%ED%99%98%EC%

The King: Eternal Monarch is very popular. It topped the wavve drama VOD (video on demand) for two consecutive weeks, from the third week of April when the first episode was aired to last week.  In particular, viewing time soared 56 percent from last week, topping the drama category by an overwhelming margin.

http://thetravelnews.co.kr/04/301687/

Edited by syntyche
  • Like 11
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

5 Reasons Why “The King: Eternal Monarch” Deserve To Join Your K-Drama Favorites’ List

THE KING: ETERNAL MONARCH IS DEFINITELY NOT YOUR TYPICAL ROMANCE K-DRAMA!

From its grand premiere, the series has been reeling attention owing to its high-concept plot translated to immersive portrayals by its main cast. Gliding to its projected plot; Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun, and Woo Do Hwan head to unravel more of the cryptic connections of the two parallel worlds.

5ea23b95c79eef2eb8030928-p-768x512.jpg

With its spiraling momentum, the big comeback project for both writer Kim Eun Sook and Lee Min Ho has been generating online buzz. Adding to that, its stellar cast has so far fused to its ingenious plot with characters of stark contrast.

Moving towards its third week, here are five key points that drive the series’ impeccable run.

A DECISIVE HERO WHEN IT COMES TO LOVE

Right off the bat, the charismatic hero of the story, Lee Gon, expressed attachment to his love interest, portrayed by Kim Go Eun. His cheeky and mushy remarks plus stolen and direct warm gazes to Jung Tae Eul draw swoon-worthy moments for fans who has so far enjoyed their sweet bickering.

Adorably and openly smitten by Jung Tae Eul, he throws knee-weakening lines like: “It’s not that I didn’t know how to go back, I just didn’t want to go.” And, where else can viewers go if the handsome hero is vocally sweet like this?

FB_IMG_1587444843451-768x512.jpg

A SWEET SWERVE FROM THE USUAL HEROINE

Likewise, Kim Go Eun decorates her new role with dauntless attitude. She deviates from the typical K-drama female lead who is cheerful and optimistic despite many hardships.

Growing up she preferred watching detective shows and her interest leans more on learning new combat techniques than playing dolls. She is definitely no damsel in distress.

She made us swoon when she revealed why she became a detective. “Not everyone can be brave, so I decided to be brave.” She’s a real girl crush character, no doubt about it!

Hide contents

0330%EB%8D%94%ED%82%B9%EC%98%81%EC%9B%90

A CONCOCTION OF FANTASY ROMANCE + SCI-FI

Giving a healthy dose of romantic premise, The King: Eternal Monarch not only treats with saccharine moments and humor, its fantasy layer gravitates with the concept of parallel worlds and a magical item that enables the main hero and villain to cross another dimension.

Appearing as a modern day fairytale, with Lee Min Ho all dapper riding on an equally handsome horse, viewers will find it hard to evade his irresistible charm. Mix in a heroine like Kim Go Eun who does not need a knight-in-a-shining-armor makes the love story even more interesting.

Aside from that, details about the Republic of Korea and Kingdom of Corea are introduced by Lee Gon, brushing on interesting points about Korean history.

Spoiler

20200426_120109.jpg

TWO SIDES TO EVERY CHARACTER

It’s a double delight for each character in The King: Eternal Monarch! Owing to the premise of parallel worlds, there is a counterpart of everyone in each world. Thus, further challenging the actors who get two different characters to portray.

While we have yet to see everyone’s other version, Woo Do Hwan shines in the spotlight. We get the best of both worlds with his portrayal of stoic, steadfast Jo Yeong and playful, cute Jo Eun Seop. In both roles, his chemistry with Lee Min-ho stands out as the bromance brings much amusement to the audience.

Hide contents

PhotoGrid_1588027336333-768x768.jpg

A WELL-DEFINED STORY TRAJECTORY

Swiftly moving, writer Kim Eun Sook utilizes her signature storytelling by laying a polished groundwork for her story to expand on. Her meticulous weaving of the complex scenarios in both worlds is well-captured by the camera lens of Directors Baek Sang Hoon and Jeong Jee Hyun.

There’s more adventure and romance up ahead for our duo. So don’t miss out because the story is just getting started!

Check out the preview for episode 5 below.

https://www.hellokpop.com/featured/5-reasons-why-the-king-eternal-monarch-deserve-to-join-your-k-drama-favorites-list/

• Like 6

@syntyche

seeing how well The King scores in NetFlix its not a proof that its doing very well?

It s not a lie then when some sites write articles that The King its struggles to maintain double number ratings?

I am really confused .How can they write a part of the truth which is the 9.7 rating in the public channel but they never mention  the NF ratings.

Usually ,I dont pay attention in ratings and   ratings alone dont express quality for me but now with

'the King " I feel sad for Minho.

I want it to score high numbers for him to feel better.

Also Syntyche I saw the post you posted  with  the food truck and all the yummy sandwiches and I saw  the truck is called

Santorini.

Does Santorini stands for the Greek island? or is a similar Korean word with different meaning?

Just curious to know.I did not expect to see a Greek island's name in a food truck.

• Like 7

@msdot, these rankings are from this weekend's airing of episode 3 and 4.

@kiklaminHo, the ratings that they are quoting are from views on terrestrial network SBS. This is different from the ranking on digital platforms like Netflix and Wavve (video on demand), which I posted earlier. Apparently, the ratings only reflect those viewers who watch on SBS. It does not reflect those who choose to watch the show on Netflix and Wavve. Since "The King" episodes are available on Netflix right after its airing on SBS, the viewing audience are likely to be split between these two media, thus, the ratings do not really show the bigger picture of how The King is fairing. I wish there would be an established measure for views on digital platforms, considering that in this day and age, the younger generation, especially, would opt to watch the shows on such platforms (I believe those rankings from Netflix are gathered by fans themselves).   

On the foodtruck I posted earlier, it was by a foodtruck company "Santorini," named after, yes, the island in Greece. :) 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kiklaminHo said:

@syntyche

seeing how well The King scores in NetFlix its not a proof that its doing very well?

It s not a lie then when some sites write articles that The King its struggles to maintain double number ratings?

I am really confused .How can they write a part of the truth which is the 9.7 rating in the public channel but they never mention  the NF ratings.

Usually ,I dont pay attention in ratings and   ratings alone dont express quality for me but now with

'the King " I feel sad for Minho.

I want it to score high numbers for him to feel better.

Also Syntyche I saw the post you posted  with  the food truck and all the yummy sandwiches and I saw  the truck is called

Santorini.

Does Santorini stands for the Greek island? or is a similar Korean word with different meaning?

Just curious to know.I did not expect to see a Greek island's name in a food truck.

Hi kiklaminHo, I guess you have a point here - add it's Netflix ratings to K-ratings or even mention the figures in K-papers BUT, Netflix doesn't release numbers. They never releases any ratings. There's no taking away viewers in SK so, the domestic ratings are accurate. The broadcast station makes money from ads during run of a drama so, it doesn't make sense that it would allow a pay-to-view channel to eat up it's vIewership . The drama airs 1-hr apart in SK. It's 11pm KST on S-Netflix & 10pm KST on SBS Channel.  I guess 1-hr is nothing. Netflix can't run a show in the country to it's original release at the same time, it would hurt business. 

There' s a Santorini Restaurant in Korea so, I guess they own this food truck as well.  :lol:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, syntyche said:

"The King" ranking on Netflix

credit as tagged

The King: Eternal Monarch is very popular. It topped the wavve drama VOD (video on demand) for two consecutive weeks, from the third week of April when the first episode was aired to last week.  In particular, viewing time soared 56 percent from last week, topping the drama category by an overwhelming margin.

http://thetravelnews.co.kr/04/301687/

Hi syntyche, thanks for sharing this. I guess the drawback of this drama is expectations were too high that viewers regret after watching the show when it's less than expected for them. Well, the drama deserves to look forward to the remaining EPs as much as they have just begun. There are many more stories left to be told. :D

• Like 3