Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Pachinko Season 2 Aug 23 on Apple TV+; Upcoming Drama 2025: Ask the Stars; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

thanks @adlyn13 for your review. Reading it I felt both happy and sad. Happy because our Minho has delivered, sad because I lost the chance to watch him on the big screen. Thanks @CarolynH and @margiestevens16 for shring your experience.
margiestevens16 said: Im one of la minoz that watch GB, and it was sooooo nice to meet you guys in person, hopefully that it wont be our last! And as for the movie it was so great!! Lee Min Ho certainly outdone himself! im watching it again next weekend with my husband!

moonrain said: Thanks @LovableLEE_13 for bringing the Rickly Lo article here. 
im particularly taken with this part:

I was curious how Lee Min Ho fared in his first movie and, no, I wasn’t disappointed even if I was pleasantly surprised what an exciting action star he is. In the beautifully-choreographed fight scenes, he’s as graceful as he is in the Koreanovelas, proving how sexy he can be in a love scene to which his rom-com scenes pale in comparison. Dressed (as a Bench model) and barely dressed (inGangnam Blues), Lee Min Ho is a topnotch sex symbol.

The movie features three other torrid love scenes which are as brazenly bold and daring as those we see in uncut movies shown in international film festivals.

So, Minho is a sex symbol huh? i can just imagine :>

Minho’s selca manners

@galaxy0401 on weibo translated excerpts from oppar’s Gangnam 1970’s hairstylist’s blog (x):

tumblr_inline_njg0heQo4J1r0vqjb.png

The hairstylist talked about how when minho’s taking selcas with others, especially with females, he will put his face closer to the camera so that the female’s face will look smaller. For this selca, despite her standing in front of him, he stretched out his neck so that her face would look smaller.

Guest Moonrain

Thank you Soompi Minoz for sharing your GB experience with us; from @zinnia, @Mosquito to @adlyn13 @CarolynH @margiestevens etc you guys rock! :bd @pixie0622 im waiting for your anatomization (w/o spoiling much ofcourse), so spill! palli please!
its killing me that i have to wait for DVD to come out but i'm content for now knowing that Minho did a good job and that GB isn't a disappointment at all :)
@adamfever it is what you think it is ;)
have a good day Minoz!7c74ceb0gw1ep3285noe6j20nm0jhwjv.jpg
Cr: minojennalee

class="entry-title" style="font-size: 3.6rem; border: 0px; border-image-source: initial; border-image-slice: initial; border-image-width: initial; border-image-outset: initial; border-image-repeat: initial; font-family: 'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif; font-weight: 200; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 1;"T: ‘Gangnam 1970′ 2015 Korean Movie – 200 Million Viewers…Lee Min Ho Authentication Selfie
2015020914411318679_1.jpg

Translated article on my blog: https://thefoodmonsterfeeds.wordpress.com/2015/02/09/t-gangnam-1970-2015-korean-movie-200-million-viewers-lee-min-ho-authentication-selfie/

Annyeong, Soompi Minoz!  >:D<  Thanks y'all for the shout-out especially last night when we were at the CGV cinemas basking in the glory (albeit not live) of Lee Min Ho! smiley-gen002.gifIt was definitely an experience I can never forget.  Which is why I was taking my time to write this account for I had so many feelings and thoughts to digest.
First of all, it was my first time inside a K-mall in Koreatown, in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, surrounded by Korean coffee bars, Korean novelty, Korean food, and people around you talking in a language that's become familiar to you--"Omoni", "Yogi", "Chongmal"---I felt like we were right in the middle of a K-drama, jinjja!  And then, finally, I meet up with fellow LeeMinHoLics in the flesh!  It was a carnival outside the theater!  So many Minoz gathered together, all excited to watch our hero in a giant screen in his first leading role.  As @CarolynH said, the traffic to LA was terrible so we were just too happy to have made it inside the theater just before lights dimmed.  The 4pm screening was fully-booked, but thanks to @weareminoz and her group, they had blocked off seats for those who signed up in the GB FB group page.  [i'm not sure if there ever was a group pic taken, but adlyn13, carolynH and I were definitely not in it.]  CarolynH already told you that we met up with a couple of fans who drove all the way from San Diego to join us in the 4pm screening.  There were also fans from neighboring states like New Mexico, and even one who flew all the way from Mexico City!  

Taken at CGV Cinemas LA where GB is showing. And no, we are not in this picture, unfortunately. 

b01256c8jw1ep2lvs1vp4j20qo0k0abm.jpg@adlyn13 @CarolynH Apparently, there's a store there that sells LMH memorabiliaxiaoku_org.gifb01256c8jw1ep2lw1v640j20rw0zk14w.jpg

cto via Beyond_MinoBoiz_ICE wb
Inside the theater, you'd know immediately who are there for LMH.  Our reactions are amazingly on-cue and in-sync almost all the time heia_org.gif I felt giddy and embarrassed at the same time.
Now for the review.  Please indulge me...I am in no way a movie critic or do I aspire to be one.  This is a fan review and I will try to not spoil your enjoyment of the movie in your own time.  One word.  OUTSTANDING!!! The movie, the actors, uri Minho smiley-happy096.gif [As much as I love him, I will watch this movie even if he's not in it.....although not as excitedly, and probably not in a theater....but I will watch it.]
It's gripping and authentic and fast-paced from start to finish.  I was on the edge of my seat for most parts of the movie, afraid to blink (although half-covering my face) lest I miss something crucial.  It is epic and lush, beautifully lit with an outstanding music score---just what you'd expect from a top-quality film.   But it's down and dirty, people!  It is not a "pretty" film, nor is it a melodrama.  For many of us who were lured into k-drama because they're "cleaner", "family-oriented", etc.--don't expect the same from this film, a gangster noir film at that.  Yoo Ha does not hold back--the gore, the violence, and yes even the explicit sex scenes are all in-your-face.I was not as taken aback by the swear words but I attribute that to the ENG subs that showed pretty much the usual words we hear from American films; but I can imagine how bad-bad the Korean cuss words are since the most we hear from K-dramas all relate to dogs....I think.  
Story-wise, it's pretty fluid for me.  As @Mosquito wrote in her review, once you grasp the theme of power and greed and lust, everything else is detail.  Of course, it helps you get into the characterizations more when you are able to distinguish one gangster or politician from another (especially the Yang, the Jang, and Kang of it), but even if you don't, there's enough of a storyline to keep you captivated.
Now for the most important part:  uri Minho.  IMO, Kim Jong Dae is LMH's BEST PERFORMANCE BY FAR.  As epic and grand the movie is, Kim Jong Dae is the force that gives the story traction, and the heartbeat of the movie's emotional core.  
@adlyn13 aptly said it:  Lee Min Ho and Kim Jong Dae are like day and night.DyOdkBa.jpg
cr as tagged, minoz_selene
I did not absolutely see any part of LMH or any of his past roles in Jong-Dae.  He truly reinvented himself to embody Jong-Dae's heart and soul.  As film critic Pierce Conran accurately put it, LMH "made his presence felt in every scene he appears in, and with every blow he deals."  
He showed an intense dramatic portrayal that's more internal than external---you can feel his rage, his inner conflicts, even his desperation and, dare I say it, "pain of betrayal", without him having to shed a tear or show a trace of sentimentality.  I'm tellin' y'all:  HIS EYES DESERVE AN ACTING AWARD OF THEIR OWN.  His dreams, his struggling emotions, his hopes--all first appear in his eyes before he even says a word.  I think it's brilliant acting.  I am so proud to be his fan.  
Visually, for the most part of the movie, the scenes look familiar because we've been spoiled by the BTS or too many official stills.  The effect on me would have been more dramatic had I not seen those pics---but then, after the movie was screened in Korea, there was no way we could stop the onslaught of GB images.  BUT there are still a few scenes that remain "unseen"---and they did present a pleasant surprise.  OH yeah, Minho..err, Jong-Dae I mean, showed a bit of his body....but it was pretty sanitized (har-har to those who have seen it heia_org.gif).  
Let me end this fan review by saying:  Lee Min Ho has made me a prouder fan for choosing this movie and by portraying Kim Jong-Dae as brilliantly as he did.  It's obvious that he suffered a lot in doing this movie (the action scenes are brutal and the locations are austere) but he successfully delivered a strong, exciting and believable performance.  I am not surprised if he chooses to do more films than dramas in the future.  He is an actor that's definitely meant to be seen/ experienced in a giant screen!
The movie deserves to be seen again.  Because it's fast-paced, it's easy to miss many of the visual details and acting nuances.  Also, I need to watch Minho in giant screen again, savor every detail of him without having to read the subs.   lxhdeyidixiao_org.gif

Thank you @pixie0622 for your exciting account and fan review! I so agree with all you said, especially about how MH outdid himself and how he totally owned the role of Jong Dae. When he is all fierce and gangster-ish, I also am seeing a totally new and excitingly different side to him, which as you say, has never been shown in his other roles. It is testament to how much he has grown as an actor.

I like to believe that there were instances where we saw his own self, and these were the family scenes. I particularly like his beautiful smile when he had rescued Yong Gi and had cleaned up his wounds and they were sitting and talking. I saw his beautiful smile there and he just lit up the whole screen.

I have heard compliments from some guys after the show though in the cinema hall, who said it was a great movie, and I feel so proud each time I hear it! I

@Pixie

wow! you have a way with words, indeed! Thank you for that wonderful review! I could feel Kim Jong Dae by how you described him Im proud of LMH!

i truly love this part:

He showed an intense dramatic portrayal that's more internal than external---you can feel his rage, his inner conflicts, even his desperation and, dare I say it, "pain of betrayal", without him having to shed a tear or show a trace of sentimentality.  I'm tellin' y'all:  HIS EYES DESERVE AN ACTING AWARD OF THEIR OWN.  His dreams, his struggling emotions, his hopes--all first appear in his eyes before he even says a word.  I think it's brilliant acting.

-from @Pixie's review

Kudos to Gangnam Blues people esp to our Min Ho!
=D> ^:)^

LovableLEE_13

said: @Pixie

wow! you have a way with words, indeed! Thank you for that wonderful review! I could feel Kim Jong Dae by how you described him Im proud of LMH!

i truly love this part:

He showed an intense dramatic portrayal that's more internal than external---you can feel his rage, his inner conflicts, even his desperation and, dare I say it, "pain of betrayal", without him having to shed a tear or show a trace of sentimentality.  I'm tellin' y'all:  HIS EYES DESERVE AN ACTING AWARD OF THEIR OWN.  His dreams, his struggling emotions, his hopes--all first appear in his eyes before he even says a word.  I think it's brilliant acting.

-from @Pixie's review

Kudos to Gangnam Blues people esp to our Min Ho!

=D> ^

:)

^

I originally planned to translate some parts of Minho's words, but I managed to translate the full article. http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=106&oid=433&aid=0000007862I used [ ] for my interpretation when I tried to make sense in the English grammar.
Hope you will enjoy reading it. And please don't reupload this elsewhere without my prior consent.

"To Challenge when applauded"... Lee Min Ho, the weight [he should bear] as an heir of Hallyu

Lee Min Ho. So to speak, he is an heir of Hallyu. He leads an Asian [entertainment] market as the second generation of Korean Wave. He grew to a representative star of Korea, and his value is soaring day by day.

He had become familiar with praises. Praises and applause rather than criticism and reproach ensued. People seldom talked about the path of the actor and the worry for his future. Voices were louder that he should continue the current popularity sticking to safe rom-coms.

His challenge started from here. He wanted to break the preconception of the audiences, challenging his own potentials. The result is the movie 'Gangnam 1970(directed by Yoo Ha). He took on a rugged role that he had never played before. He changed to a ragpicker, discarding his floral beauty.

"I couldn't give up on my aspiration as an actor because of an image. I didn't want to be confined in the words 'You are the best' from the people around me. I did think over only what I wanted to do then and what I must do."

That he should not be complacent about the way things are now. It is the weight Lee Min Ho thinks he should bear as an actor. Lee Min Ho is dreaming of being an actor over a star. That's the reason he works endlessly. Now his world is expanding little by little.

Challenge to a big screen... His leading role debut in 'Gangnam 1970'

'Gangnam 1970'. It is the first movie that Lee Min Ho put his name on as a lead. It was a different path from those of some actors who insist 'one top' lead in a movie once they rose to stardom. Lee Min Ho had waited for a proper timing mending his fences through dramas, and he opted for a movie for six years since 'Boys over Flowers'.

"A movie should send a message [to the audiences] within two hours. I thought I had to be mature enough in advance. The audiences should not be given the feelings that I squeezed [my character] by force. At the age of 28, I think I started a movie with good seniors at a good timing."

It was not by others' choice but his own. More than anybody else, he tended to look at himself cool-headedly. He faced the reality deciding objectively what he can do now.

"People around me always tell me 'You are the best', and if I were confined in it[people's saying 'you are the best'], I would think[or know] that's really the case. I need to grasp the situation realistically [to decide] whether that's the case or not. I tend to look back at myself and ask myself. [Only] in that way, I can look squarely at the reality[or the way things are] now."

Challenge to acting... Focus on emotions, a new approach

It was a drastic step. 'Gangnam 1970' is a story about conspiracies and betrayal surrounding the development of Gangnam area. It is a heavy story. And it contains intense characters. His character ranged from a ragpicker to a gangster. He overcame the burden by studying. He [tried to] understand the scripts fully and lighten the burden.

"When actors film a movie, they act fully knowing the scripts. I tried to get rid of my bad old habits. Thanks to [studying the scripts fully before filming], I could act as I felt naturally rather than I made something by force. I could relax."

The climax is the confrontation scene with Yong-Gi(played by Kim Rae Won) at the end. It is a scene where he had to confront Yong-Gi, nothing short of his own brother. It was a scene where Jong-Dae's various emotions such as anger, sadness, disappointment, frustration and so on should be conveyed.

Lee Min Ho said, "I mulled over the scene a lot. If I had been Jong-Dae, I would have shed tears a lot. In fact, I cried a lot [filming that scene]. But the director didn't agree with me. He said it[my crying] didn't suit the atmosphere of the movie. Talking with the director like that, I could understand the movie [more], and then I tuned my emotions to it."

Challenge to his image...Transformation[or change] is an actor's task.

An intense character in a strong movie. It was an unhindered transformation. He had no fears. He accepted it as a course of improving himself as an actor. It's because of his belief that "It is not right to give up on a role I want to take on as an actor for the fear of my image."

He compared himself to a book. He stressed "If a book had similar contents over and over again, readers would not read through it. I wanted to be a valuable book. A book people cherish over a long period and want to read again and again. Therefore, I have no choice but to show transformation[or change]."

Once he got confident, he could muster up courage. At one moment, he found himself enjoying acting. It was all interesting to take on a new role and to change into the character. For the first time, it was the moment for him to step forward from a star to an actor.

"One day, I felt it refreshing to take on a new role. I realized myself enjoying it. How long did I feel it? Not long ago. Therefore, I don't know exactly what I was feeling and why I was feeling it. But one thing is for sure. I enjoy acting."

The weight upon an actor... The future Lee Min Ho dreams of

When he performed, he gained the energy from his fans. He said he was cheered up by his fans who support him. They are the ones who whip a horse called Lee Min Ho at the same time. When he sees his fans, he feels his sense of responsibility to improve renewed.

"Fans are the ones who give me my confidence. Without them, I would really have had hard time. Therefore, I have to improve myself more. Because I would like to live up to my fans' expectations. So that they can support and cheer me up continuously..."

He added that he would not avoid coming to small screen. More often than not, some actors are reluctant to come back to drama's harsh conditions once they tasted the conditions of filming movies. But Lee Min Ho said that he can't avoid it. Doing dramas is his duty. He said it's the weight of the crown he wears.

"I'm one of the actors who live in the golden era of [Korean] drama. And I also think I'm one of the front runners of it. I have my responsibility to continue dramas. I will do my best having a good balance between movies and dramas."

• Like 1

Thanks for your wonderful review @pixie0622‌ ! And also thanks to @almondcroissant and @Mosquito for additional comments ... enjoyed reading all of your views. They sort of filled the void of not seeing GB here in NY. If it never gets screened here, which I am still hoping it does, then I just have to settle for a DVD, which I hope it gets released soon. I also wish we get engsubbed DVD of the chinese version.
 Here's a news clip on GB -- i hope our kind k-soompi minoz will translate for us.

Guest Moonrain

KIA KS3 Video Screenshots
oh my [Fa] he's drop dead gorgeous in white [Poor] two more buttons undone would have been so perfect [Collapse]
e3970d78jw1ep3blnzz4oj20sg0g0my0.jpge3970d78jw1ep3blrqwlvj20sg0g0wfa.jpge3970d78jw1ep3blu4cbyj20sg0g0js4.jpg
Cr: auraminho

To lucky LA Minoz, if you plan to watch GB again, Solly Minoz from Lee Min Ho's World created this FB page for the Feb. 15 event :
https://www.facebook.com/events/933968906621940/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

Collaboration event hosted by Lee Min Ho's World and CGV Cinemas Los Angeles

The date is officially set to Sunday, February 15th in the evening. The exact show time will be notified once CGV get back with us. 

There will be raffle prize giveaways and goodies provided by Lee Min Ho's World. We will also be doing a small video recording event to show our support to Gangnam 1970's team and of course, to our actor, Lee Min Ho. We will keep you posted on the details as the date gets closer. 

Although the movie is not yet rated, we advise that children under 17 to be with their legal guardians. 

We hope that many of you will attend this wonderful event and show your support to Gangnam 1970! 

See you there!

10959784_1399677090337428_65063272528966

Gomawo y'all for your compliments shamea_org.gif  It took me some time to complete my "review" as I'm afraid to spill spoilers while trying to capture how I really felt through the whole experience.  Whew!   sweata_org.gif  All I can say is that I'm relieved that you appreciate my account.  I actually saw some grammatical errors but thought I'd leave it as is---after all, it's not up for submission, but I just hope my English teacher won't rise from the dead because of it  ;))
This time, I want to add some notes that relate to some of the nagging questions out there and also as a reaction to some of the comments that I've read about the movie and LMH.
But first---if you became a fan of Minho because of his past roles, please dwell on this BEFORE you watch Gangnam Blues:Thank you @zinnia and @Mosquito for translating his recent interviews :-*
LMH: "It is not right to give up on a role I want to take on as an actor for the fear of my image."There are fans who were disappointed to see LMH in this kind of movie because it runs counter to the image they have of him.  Nothing to do with how he performed or what he did.  It was more because he WAS IN THIS kind of film. 
Judging from his recent interviews, LMH knew early on that this film is not for the majority of his fans.  He did say that if he wanted to make a film that would surely make a lot of money, this is not the film that he would have taken on.  But he did this because he wants to stretch his wings as an actor and maybe even challenge the image that we have of him.  He does not want to be a one-note actor---he wants to be seen as a multidimensional actor who can tackle any genre,  any role and be credible in it.   And it was for this precise reason that I became prouder of him.  Not being squeamish about realistic fight scenes and graphic sex scenes also helped me see beyond all that and appreciate the movie for its no-holds-barred depiction of the decadence and quest for power that ruled that world during that time.  I also think that it helps to know what makes for a Korean Gangster film since GB will ultimately be judged against this backdrop and not against what we know of gangster films.  e3970d78jw1ep3ldvsz6ij20sg0jktfh.jpg
"LMH is too good-looking to be a gangster".  I did not feel this while watching him.  Besides, how should a gangster look like anyway?  Jong-Dae did not dream to be a gangster.  He naturally ascended to his role as the "anointed son" of a gang leader.  It also helped that he had the brawn and brains to be a leader.  Was his transformation too abrupt?  Maybe so.  But then I feel that the story is not about how he became a gangster but what drove him to become one and what propelled his further actions that led to his ultimate fate.  
Why "Anak" as theme song?  [it was during both scenes when this song was played in full that I cried.  The juxtapositions hit me hard.  :(( :(( ]This song was originally written by Filipino Freddie Aguilar to dedicate to his father.  It is a song of remorse and apology to his parents for going the path of self-destruction, for pursuing a life that dishonors the love and sacrifices they showered on him growing up.  I believe that the song is an apt background to communicate the overall feelings of young people's despair and discontent, of remorse and shattered dreams.  Why in Filipino, you may ask?  I can only surmise because Yoo Ha wanted to use the original version---and because the song was very popular during that time and it was translated in over a hundred languages, the melody alone would have evoked the feelings and familiar lyrics from the Korean translation that the older audiences would be familiar with.  

@Kris Silva Thanks for sharing the link to LeeMinHoWorld.  Yes, we just might join them to watch GB again, if schedules permit.  
@Almondcroissant  (geez, writing your name makes me feel like ordering this fave treat in starbucks laugh.gifThank you for your review, too.  Indeed, there were several heartwarming scenes in GB where we see a softer, more loving KJD that reveals the real LMH.  With regard to "muted" response in Singapore, maybe there are more "Kim Tan" fans out there and they are barred from watching the film.  

In Taiwan and HK, it's a different story.  GB is reported to doing so well that more and more theaters are being added daily.Here's report from Taiwan...as of 2/6 (trans courtesy of @Mosquito):It was reported that in the first weekend when G70 premiered in Taiwan, while it was screened in only 4 theatres, the box office sales reached TWD1,100,000---this was a record for Korean movies in recent years; at the same time defeating Kim Woo Bin's The Con Artist (1st weekend box office TWD870,000) and also rated movie Obsessed by Song Seung Hun (1st weekend box office TWD280,000). Considering that G70 is a rated movie, it continues to soar in its box office sales, todate it has accumulated over TWD2,500,000 in ticket sales.
source:

b01256c8jw1eozfhsdab1j21z43ifu0x.jpg

leeminhosny said:

chingus hello , new movie news , translate please?

박광현 감독 '조각된 남자' 주연 검토
결말 다른 중국판 '강남 1970' 상영도

연기자 이민호의 스크린 독주가 시작됐다.

첫 주연영화 '강남 1970'(감독 유하·제작 모베라픽쳐스)으로 실력을 인정받은 이민호가 상승세를 타고 또 다른 영화 주연 제의에 고민하고 있다. 성사된다면 이민호는 최근 두각을 나타내는 20대 한류스타 가운데 가장 적극적인 스크린 활동에 나선다.

이민호에게 러브콜을 보낸 영화는 '조각된 남자'다. 살인 누명을 쓰고 감옥에 갇힌 주인공이 천신만고로 탈옥해 복수하는 이야기다. 2012년 영화진흥위원회 지원작으로 선정될 당시 "작가의 상상력이 현실의 부조리와 결합돼 즐거운 복수극을 만들어냈다"는 평가와 함께 가장 높은 점수를 받아 화제를 모았던 작품이다.

스크린 속 이민호의 활약이 눈에 띈다. 3월 중국 전역에서 주연영화 '강남 1970'도 개봉한다. 사진제공|모베라픽쳐스

연출은 '웰컴 투 동막골'의 박광현 감독이 맡는다. 지난해까지 한중 합작영화 '권법' 준비에 집중해온 박 감독은 '조각된 남자'를 먼저 연출하기로 하고, 최근 주연배우 캐스팅을 시작했다. 영화계 한 관계자는 9일 "시나리오가 탄탄하고 흥미롭다는 소문이 퍼지면서 몇몇 톱스타가 주인공 역을 욕심내왔다"며 "남자배우라면 탐낼 만한 복수극으로 인간적인 개성까지 보여줄 수 있는 영화"라고 밝혔다.

이민호는 해외 영화시장도 놓치지 않는다. 3월에는 무대를 중국으로 넓힐 예정이다. '강남 1970'이 중국 전역에서 개봉하기 때문이다. 특히 중국 상영 버전은 국내와 결말이 다른 것으로 알려졌다. 이민호의 출연 분량이 늘고, 국내 상영 때 없던 로맨스 장면도 포함돼 그가 발휘할 차이나 티켓파워에 관심이 쏠린다.

media.daum.net