[Drama 1999] Happy Together 해피투게더

Guest kiye

Eh??!! :blink: Are those Chinese names? They are using them in the drama shown in Malaysia?

Gee!!! It's already hard to remember Korean names, much more difficult for me to remember Chinese names. :lol:

LBH looks dorky and very young in Happy together. His role is kinda a little pathetic but still full of spirits. He maybe happy-go-lucky, carefree type of a guy here but his heart is big esp. for his family.

Don't know how to explain the situation but it's always been the case with Kdramas in Malaysia especially when most, if not all the series were aired in the Mandarin-dubbed version. It's usually the Chinese names being used to coincide with the dubbing, doesn't the ones in Philippines have different sets of names for the dubbed Kdramas too? :D

Anyway, there's also the station (8tv to be precise) that kept the Korean names even with the Mandarin-dubbed version they're showing. Although it's quite confusing, I guess the audience got used to it or they had to. Worse comes to worst, we'll just use the actors' real names instead. :lol:

I've always said this in HT discussions, TaePoong... he's so ordinary, nothing outstanding, not even an inch close to the typical Prince-like hero but he's definitely the heart of the series.

Sushiboii: JJH has been in 2 or 3 series before(some said its 2, some said its 3), so this is her 3rd and last series.

Ione: yup, cant get enough of JJH-CTH. CTH is really funny in this drama especially when he's always trying to get close to JJH.

I've watched this a few times already since 2002. JJH is so different from the sassy girl here. she's just like the girl next door, very pure, innoncent and sweet. i like the scenes of her with LBH as well but i'm not too fond of the luv relationship between SSH-KHN-LBH, its too draggy and boring. the family (Siblings) relationship is much more better. I think Kang Sung Yeon has the best performance in the show, rebellious but a caring sister to JJH and LBH.

Hi cjoey, thanks for the clarification about JJH's drama series, I really had no idea at all. :blush: Thanks to ione as well.

Hope all of you would join in the discussion and sharing of screencaps from the series.

The relationship between KHN-SSH is actually quite straightforward, they just need LBH's character to show them who & what really matter in life. It's their "going back & forth" that got a bit much, more or less. But I've always love the siblings & family aspects of the series more. So heartwarming.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yum yum dimsum

Sushiboii: JJH has been in 2 or 3 series before(some said its 2, some said its 3), so this is her 3rd and last series.

^ of course! i forgot about the first two..

i've seen clips of CTH trying to get close to JJH then got beat up by LBH.. that was funny!

is there subtitles available on that clubbox link. i hope there is...

on the side note.. i don't think this is CTH-JJH first pairing.. CTH was in Seasons of Puberty, i think. It's just no one has ever heard of that show :phew:

just two LQ caps..

htc069.jpg

htc059.jpg

^Thanks sushiboii for the HT caps, love them! :blush: There are not many (readily-available) screencaps around, each one is just so special to collect & keep.

The Happy Together summary (ep 1- 4)

deep gratitude to Shirley at Koreanfilm.org forum

The father of Chan Zhu, Zhi Suo and Wen Zhu was a policeman who died on duty and hence their mother remarried. Their stepfather who was a gangster also has a son, Tai Fung. Therefore the two families become one due to their parents' marriage. Another daughter Lun Zhu was born soon after that.

Because of his indecent background as a gangster, Chan Zhu and Zhi Suo resented their new stepfather and stepbrother. Furthermore, due to the brainwashing from their auntie and grandmother, Chan Zhu hated their mother for the plight they are in. And soon after their mother and stepfather died during an accident, one night their grandmother took Chan Zhu, Zhi Suo and Wen Zhu away leaving Tai Fung and Lun Zhu behind.

As he was unable to take care of his sister, Tai Fung had no choice but to send Lun Zhu to an orphanage. Lun Zhu was adopted and the siblings lost contact with one another.

Ten years passed and Tai Fung was a baseball player and his greatest wish was to find his family; Chan Zhu, Zhi Suo and the two younger sisters.

During the 10 years, Chan Zhu has been working very hard in order to provide for her brother and sister, and groom Zhi Suo into a Public Prosecutor. The topic of Tai Fung and Lun Zhu is a taboo in the family as they try to forget their unwanted part of the family. However Wen Zhu was unable to forgive her sister for abandoning their young sister and Tai Fung as she was close to her stepfather. Hence she becomes very rebellious. Wen Zhu borrowed from the loan sharks and was caught by them during her cheerleading at the stadium when she failed to pay up.

She was taken to the club where she was forced to make payment. Zhi Suo happened to be on duty there for the arrest of the gang leader. Once he discovered his sister in the nightclub, Zhi Suo was so furious that he ordered her handcuffed and brought her home. Zhi Suo blamed Chan Zhu for her lack of attention on Wen Zhu and letting her work in such place as nightclubs. The next day, Chan Zhu went to the club to look for Wen Zhu. As Wen Zhu can never forget her sister for the separation of the family with Tai Fung, she was never on good terms with her elder sister and hearing her lecture, she in moment of fury, caught hold of someone passing by and kissed the man (who was Zhao Pi Tao) and said that she is a very easy woman which make her sister turned away in anger.

During a match, Tai Fung was doing a homerun and clashes into the umpire. Tai Fung hurt his own leg as well as injuring the umpire's arm. The two were sent to the hospital. The umpire is the father of Siu He. When Siu He was at the hospital for a visit, at the garden, while trying to rescue a balloon for a child, she collided into Tai Fung who was also helping the child to get the balloon. The two fall onto the grass together. That moment when Tai Fung laid eyes on Siu He, it was love at first sight.

Zhi Suo came to visit Siu He's father at the hospital and met Tai Fung. Tai Fung soon recognized him as his long lost brother and was thrilled to found him at last. But soon he also learned that Zhi Suo is Siu He's fiancé. Zhi Suo was not thrilled at meeting Tai Fung again, as his impression of him is a useless good for nothing gangster and asked him not to appear again. The two quarreled over the matter of Siu He and decided it is going to be a fair competition for her heart. Zhi Suo told his sister Chan Zhu the meeting with Tai Fung and her reaction was more furious than him, as she hated Tai Fung.

Siu He was preparing for the engagement with Zhi Suo and went to Chan Zhu house for the ring. Tai Fung happened to be at the house to visit Chan Zhu and to ask where his parents were buried. But Chan Zhu humiliated him and chased him out of the house. Tai Fung was greatly upset by this and Chan Zhu also cried by the sudden appearance of Tai Fung and the pain he brought. Siu He knew of Tai Fung wish to visit his parents' graves and offer to take him there. But the solemn atmosphere was soon filled of laughter when she pointed the wrong graves to Tai Fung and making him cry for nothing. Siu He showed her engagement rings to Tai Fung, and soon she put it into the pocket of the jacket Tai Fung has lent her. She returned the jacket to Tai Fung when they parted but had totally forgotten about the ring. Siu He soon found that she has misplaced the ring on the day of the engagement. Fortunately. Tai Fung discovered the ring and bring it to Siu He in time but at the same time was heavily beaten up by Zhi Suo who was venting his anger upon seeing him again.

Zhao Pi Tao gave Wen Zhu a lesson on his first day as manager at the nightclub and ordered her to work hard to pay her debts. Tai Fung though was beaten up at the restaurant, managed to know from Siu He the whereabouts of Wen Zhu. Tai Fung went to the nightclub to look for Wen Zhu, and after a fight, finally managed to reconcile with Wen Zhu. Tai Fung told her not to work at the nightclub anymore. Wen Zhu and Chan Zhu have a big argument and Wen Zhu left home again and spent the night at the club. She was running a fever and Zhao discovered her and took care of her.

Tai Fung went back to his hostel and a little boy was looking for him. He claimed to be Tai Chi and that his mother told gave him Tai Fung's name and address and that Tai Fung is his father. His mother had married and went overseas. Tai Fung was soon chased out by the landlord as he was too noisy and with a child. As he does not want to bother his friend Pu He, he was sleeping along the streets with Tai Chi and finally decided using the toss of a coin that he will look for Chan Zhu to take them in.

Ione: yup, cant get enough of JJH-CTH. CTH is really funny in this drama especially when he's always trying to get close to JJH.

I've watched this a few times already since 2002. JJH is so different from the sassy girl here. she's just like the girl next door, very pure, innoncent and sweet. i like the scenes of her with LBH as well but i'm not too fond of the luv relationship between SSH-KHN-LBH, its too draggy and boring. the family (Siblings) relationship is much more better. I think Kang Sung Yeon has the best performance in the show, rebellious but a caring sister to JJH and LBH.

thanks, cjoey. indeed, i could tell from the caps how CTH is trying to make a fool of himself to get JJH's attention. :D i've always adored CTH and his funny antics. plus...he and JJH--they look adorable together. it would also be interesting to see a young JJH in a drama.

you mentioned you've watched it a few times. did you happen to find any subs for this? :o i'm still hopeful that someone might have the subs and would be willing to share them, haha. *hopeful*

rubie/shirley: thanks for sharing the summary. it's hard for non-korean speaking fans to follow the drama without the subs. but you guys are doing an awesome job.

^ of course! i forgot about the first two..

i've seen clips of CTH trying to get close to JJH then got beat up by LBH.. that was funny!

is there subtitles available on that clubbox link. i hope there is...

on the side note.. i don't think this is CTH-JJH first pairing.. CTH was in Seasons of Puberty, i think. It's just no one has ever heard of that show :phew:

just two LQ caps..

thanks for the cute caps. really? this isn't CTH-JJH's first pairing? oohlala. so it means more old dramas to find. unfortunately, i haven't found any subs for this on clubbox. i am hopeful that someone who might have the DVD version might be able to rip the subs.haha! (i know..too much to ask.)

Episode 2 (13/9/06)

Tonight's episode, it's Chan Zhu's (the eldest sister) birthday but none of her siblings remembered, at least that's what she thought. Wen Zhu certainly remembered, maybe Zhi Suo too... but things have become so awkward between them. Seeing Chan Zhu alone with the cake and food, waiting for them to return... I kept thinking, if only... if only... Tai Fung & Lun Zhu knew about her birthday, they sure wouldn't miss it for the world.

Wen Zhu... despite her rebellious front, secretly longs for her sister and family again but each time they met... they always say all the wrong things, worsening an already distant relationship. I'm sure Zhi Suo remembers his sisters, too but he kept burying himself in his work, pushing too much that he doesn't feel happy nor satisfied at all. Like a robot... he goes to work, gets riled up with the criminals, sometimes he meets his gf, he goes home... but nothing gained at the end of the day.

Perhaps.. that could happen to us, too...

ps: I've been meaning to ask if I've assumed it correctly... how did Tai Fung first recognize Zhi Suo at the hospital? Was it by the way Zhi Suo shook his hand... or rather his reluctance by pulling his hand away from Tai Fung. Only then, did Tai Fung realized his brother, rght?

ione: i have the one with chinese subtitles but i don't think u can read chinese, hmm, i don't mind uploading it for the ppl who are interested in the show and can read chinese.

oh, there's english subs for the DVD, but i doubt anyone here is willing to buy it since its an old drama, http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/sect...pid-1004150038/

**Edit:

i don't know if anyone of u have already found this

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic.p...75e547da97b6cdc

there's a torrent file there, only for the 1st episode, but since its uploaded there 2 years ago, i don't think there's anyone downloading it right now, so its VERY VERY slow (i'm downloading it right now for testing). The chinese torrent available on the net is pretty fast. if u guys are really eager to watch the 1st episode, try downloading it now to speed up the download rate (as most of u guys know, its faster if there are more ppl downloading it).

Episode 3 (14/9/06)

There were lots of funny scenes but with some heartbreaking ones as well. An eager brother to meet his elder sister, he almost bought every bottled-milk that she loves to drink. But happiness is one-sided, his huge smile and twinkling eyes met with a frown & stern warning... as if he's only an outsider, a clear intruder. But somehow he knew things won't be so easy but no harm in trying, a little rejection and a little sad at first... at least he finally finds them, the family Tai Fung longs for.

Funny moments... it's always with Xiu He that Tai Fung had the best laughs, her clueless trait changed his tears to laughter. The scene at the burial site... the mistaken tomb... that's a really funny one. :lol:

But as much as Tai Fung can expect and tolerate Chan Zhu & Zhi Suo's cold shoulders... he would never be able to take it if Wen Zhu did the some. The little sister he adore, the girl he remembers so pretty as a doll, his sister... besides the baby, Lun Zhu... he knows Wen Zhu would welcome him with open arms. And she certainly does, the brother she misses finally arrived to make things right.

ps: no offence to anyone... I mentioned once why I don't agree/like Jo Jae Hyun's character in Happy Together. I do like the actor but not his character, it slipped my mind why... but now I remember... he hit & kicked Wen Zhu when the latter could not pay her debts to the gangsters he worked for. No matter how bad her actions were, no woman deserves to be hit. I guess that very unflattering impression of Bi Dou stays, unfortunately.

The Happy Together summary (ep 4 - 8)

Chan Zhu as usual tried to chase him out as he is not welcome in the family. Tai Fung had told Tai Chi to stay in the toilet. While Tai Fung was being chased out, Tai Chi was left behind in Chan Zhu's house. Just when Tai Fung was looking for a place, his fan Zhi Lun appeared. Zhi Lun asked him to stay with her as she had prepared a room for him. Tai Fung has to accept the offer since he is at his wit’s end. Little did he know that Zhi Lun is his youngest sister Lun Zhu. After her adoption, Lun Zhu has been thinking of her brother and as her adopted parents decide to migrate, she requested to stay behind and look for her brother alone. She took on a lot of jobs to save enough money, when she found Tai Fung, he did not recognize her. She was heartbroken and decided to remain by her brother's side as a fan and hoping that one day Tai Fung will remember and call her name: Lun Zhu

Siu He and Zhi Suo has been together for ten years and the Siu He's father wants to see them get married. As they feel the time is also right, the two were happily planning for their wedding. Zhi Suo has a university classmate, Yi Cai Lin who work together with him. She comes from a wealthy background. She is secretly in love with Zhi Suo. Cai Lin was surprised when she learned of his wedding plans.

Because of their aunt, Chan Zhu and Zhi Suo's house was in danger of being taken over by the government if they fail to pay back a loan. Chan Zhu was depressed by the threat of losing the house that she had work so hard for, and this troubled Zhi Suo. But he tried to hide his problems from Siu He, as he does not want to make her worry. For the past ten years, whenever he get a cold, Siu He will also be sick, she will take care of him till she also fall ill.

Yi Cai Lin know of the Zhi Suo family problems that it was used as an mortgage for his uncle loan and after his uncle disappearance, the house is due to be confiscated unless the loan is paid. Chan Zhu also has received the notice letter from the court. Cai Lin offers a solution to Zhi Suo that her father will provide the loan. Because of his pride, Zhi Suo cannot make himself take the offer as he feel that he won't be able to repay her father. Cai Lin went to ask Siu He to convince Zhi Suo. Siu He now knows that Zhi Suo has been keeping her in the dark about his problems and she feel miserable that he did not share his problems with her. Zhi Suo told her that he has accepted Cai Lin's offer. But Cai Lin's father had agreed to the loan as he thought that Zhi Suo was Cai Lin's boyfriend. He was pleased with Zhi Suo and treats him like a future son-in-law.

Ever since this matter, Zhi Suo's aunt despise Siu He as a hindrance for Zhi Suo's advancement in his career and was eager to help Zhi Suo and Cai Lin to stay together.

Zhi Lun took good care of Tai Fung when they are living under one roof. He, unaware of Zhi Lun's real identity, kept looking for his sister Lun Zhu. He thought that she was taken to Australia by her adopted parents.

deep gratitude to Shirley at Koreanfilm.org forum

Though Chan Zhu's the eldest in the family, taking care of the household for as long as she can remember... her feelings are not as important to anyone. Seems that everything she did met with dead end... with an aunt who creates more trouble than help and a brother, pride of hers.. who rather be someone else's kin.

A lot to think about, a lot to settle... a lot coming to her, an unwanted brother with a nephew now. A rebellious sister always on her back as she is on hers, always on the wrong track. What should she do... what could she do... except saying 'I'm sorry'... 'I'm sorry' to Zhi Suo. They could have been the closest of all and yet everything turn out worst than before.

I love the comments made by Xiu He's father to Zhi Suo when the latter forcefully took Tai Zhi away from their home. Zhi Suo relentlessly commented that Tai Fung has no connection to him and yet he acted totally the opposite. He would rather take the "nephew" back than to let his brother's son sleep at his fiancee's house. Does he really hate them that much or maybe he's just too aware how people would open up to Tai Fung for his warm character. He knew too well how happy and warm the step-brother was, their sisters Wen Zhu and Lun Zhu totally adored him, Zhi Suo would have to... if he hadn't have to 'hate' Tai Fung so much for what is not even the latter's fault.

Zhi Suo realized that he can no longer keep away from crossing paths with Tai Fung at Xiu He's house, he had to lessen that chances.

When Xiu He's father mentioned that Tai Zhi's father had no vision, no work, no plans for his son. He didn't even say much about taking the boy back (knowing his situation) , he didn't even mentioned about school but as a father, he swallowed his pride and let the boy stay at Xiu He's house... as long as the boy has a roof over his head for the time being. The older man further said, despite Tai Fung's careless and wandering self... he doesn't dislike the man that much because he understood no parent would want to let their children be cared by others if they can help it.

And that remark just hit homebase.

WoW! This thread is full of cap scenes of Happy Together. Since the local TV station is currently airing this drama, I finally got a set with “BM” sub-titles and the cover set looks impressive (by Multimedia). good.gif

I only managed to watch the 1st episode and so far I find Suh Tae-Poong’s character so lovable. He is such a cutie when he met Kim Ha Neul in the hospital room where she was visiting her father. He was speechless and couldn’t believe he found her right in front of his hospital bed (was earlier electrified by her beauty when both of them accidentally bumped into each other). inlove.gif He was obviously smitten by her and when he introduced himself, he was revealing a bit too much of his interest in her but I like his expression…very genuinely interested. Ahh…so realistic as he entertained KHN’s father in the hospital ….obviously trying to impress him. icon_naughty.gif

Despite walking in a limp, he offered KHN to carry the fruit basket (shame on SSH) ashamed.gif…. OMO. …he lost his balance….. poor Tae-Poong.

I have yet to understand each of the role characters in this drama and am trying to reason out the causes of how the siblings went separate ways and why Jeong Ji-Hyun did not reveal her identity to Tae-Poong when she went to check on him at the hospital. The other sister (wild character) is so different from JJH’s character and she seemed to blame her noona for losing her other siblings.

Thanks Rubie for posting the episodes guidance and pictures. :D

Hi Felicia! Good to see you here, it's been a bit chilly out here but nothing that the heart-warming series can't heal. Wait, wait! Is there a new Happy Together boxset in the market, one with a better (better still)... the tv's version of the subs? By Multimedia, you said... how much is it? :blush: Maybe... if I'm still eligible for some 'duit raya' later, maybe I can get myself a good set of the series. Really love drama, watching it the second time around... there's so many little things we can pick up and the antics of Tae Poong, his buddy Pu He and Shen Yu (CTH's character) are funnier too. The one I have (from Media Way) is absolutely a disgrace. :vicx:

Aw... we don't really have that many HT caps... compared to the many 2000+ series... there's really too little to share. Even those from LBH sites, only available for the very few episodes... unlike... say... BD or All In.

Hope to hear your thoughts on the series, Felicia... it's really a wonderful drama It may be slow for some... it's just perfectly nice for me and ntv7's undubbed version is such a sweet surprise I'm taking each night.

We're now reaching the heartwrenching moments of Tae Poong and Lun Zhu, meeting again... and everything, everyone connected to them.

Rubie, the set that I bought during the weekend is a newly packed version (the best I’ve seen so far and it did attract me to buy) with good quality picture and dual sub-titles (BM+Mandarin). :D The box set is slightly bigger than the usual standard size. I believe they want it to look presentable like those current dramas produced with so much emphasis on “decorative-appeal" with high quality pictures and all sorts of style of opening the box-set e.g Lovers in Prague and Save the Last Dance for me. Multimedia is one of the most reliable distributors other than PMP. Oops...almost forgotten to reveal the price tag. It was printed as RM69.90 but you normally can get a good bargain if you don’t go to those reputable bigger outlets (Speedy or Movie World). I got it for RM55.00. ;)

Ah…CTH’s character has yet to be revealed but I think he is the funny namja (with a fully covered helmet) who bought a cone of ice-cream from JJH (and I guess he did it in the pretense of getting a glimpse of her). While engrossed in observing JJH who was looking pretty upset, he did not realize his unattended ice-cream has started to melt! Aigooooo……shy namja! glomp.gif

Oh sure…will drop by again when I continue watching Tae-Poong and the rest in action. It was a great treat to be able to watch how all these actors performed their role characters before they become well-known. Maybe this production has "special charm" and it made each of them popular in their own way....Fighting! :P

Archived