[Drama 1999] Happy Together 해피투게더

Guest kiye

i love this series! simply because it is very down to earth.......and all of them acted very well.......

there are so many heartwarming moments..........the scenes between ssh and his nephew, ssh and bh, when the eldest sister attended the sister's wedding etc etc........i love the last scene oso......!

haha i alwyas thought that scene my version got cuts ..so i keep getting a few version and keep seeing is still cut ....ARGHHHH i think they got into a fight before the wedding start !! keke that why LBH's shirt was torn ..

!!

those banana drink container he use for the plants because his sister likes to do it ...i remember i always drink it when i am in korea ..and keep the container ....that is how much i love this drama. .i watch it more then twice ... :D ......dang* i still recall how ssh when he and KHN was at the stadium he ask her ..you know how much i love you dun you ..it was a sweeet scene ..~! ...

i will always be wondering how many times they all walk that path from her house to his house even Tae Poong..he will hide at the corner and listen to them ....

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shred

maja!!! i always like reading your very straight forward and honest review.

I'm also very sappy when it comes to family and sibling stories....

The one that made me cry hard is when Tae poong was walking her sister to the altar (?). He's not happy that his sis is marrying a gangster and does not really want to attend but he cant really forsake her. Both of them were crying and I was crying with them,even louder. :tears:

maja, forget your cousin.. SSH is such a nice guy.... He is best friend to everybody. :lol: I think he already improved even a little thru the years. :lol:

One guy who really acted well also is TP's best friend... He's a natural. I heard he was also very good in Rosy Life.

KHN, i wish she could maintain that hairstyle..... she looked so "manang" (ajummah) in Romance and Stained Glass. Brook's word is insipid KHN. :P

*wipes tears* good lawd, that scene was just BITTERSWEET ain't it?!

their wedding was just filled with all types of emotions. i was laughing at CTY's lines when he was saying that with all the thugs wearing black, it looked more like a funeral than a wedding :lol:

and yes, when Tae pong was walking moon ju down the aisle, ack - they were just sobbing. the bride's make up is all ruined!

the 2nd wedding in the drama was such a big contrast. everyone dragged Tae Poong off the altar :lol: and on taking the family picture ... Tae poong was just caught offguard with his sister and peppermint ... yihee :wub:

maja, yes SSH is a nice guy. don't worry, i have no ill intentions for picking on him, except for looking like my cousin :lol: i need to look for his latter dramas then ... Summer Scent? hehe.

One of the scenes that made me cried non-stop was the scene after the wedding of the second sister. Tae Poong despite his strong opposition (with no help from the older sister and SSH) can't do anything but to let his dearest sis marry a gangster, as a brother... he only wants the best for her. After the wedding he went to look for KHN at the school but she's not there. He called her using the pay-phone but when asked his whereabouts, he lied... not knowing that KHN was nearby.

Remember then, because he's already in a suit (from the wedding) but only had a sneakers on, KHN bought him a really nice pair of shoes. At that moment... the flood of tears have rushed in. BH had to turn around... he was so totally overwhelmed in sadness... looking at the new shoes. :tears: On the ride home, holding the shoe box, he said nothing at all but you know... a lot were going on in his mind. :sniffles:

i was secretly rooting for Tae Poong and Suha :sweatingbullets: and after being Suha's sounding board, i was wishing that she'd somehow realize what a good man TP is but alas ... Suha's love for SSH (why can't i ever remember his name here?!) was stronger. i think it was maja who said that it is hard for Suha to just forget SSH ... after all they've been together for 10 years.

do you remember that scene of Tae Jin and his uncle JH (did i at least get the initials right now?) when the kid told him he idolizes his uncle? Tae Poong didn't even feel a gist of jealousy about that.

i think i could go on and on with my favorite scenes from this drama ...

i'll repost this here. i wish that more people could watch this drama since it's now available in Yesasia :)

and for a huge ensemble [of cast] ... this drama shouldn't be missed!

---------------------------------------------

i finished watching Happy Together last weekend. would you believe that i cried soooo much over this light drama?! the last time i was this "crybaby" was when i was watching MISA and Damo i loved the last

scene. i'm such a sap when it comes to stories about siblings :tears:

CTY and the thug brother in law were funny. such loving and thoughtful men ... for thugs.

like maja, my favorite character is the middle sister. this girl is just full of love for her tae pong oppa and yoon ju.

my least favorite is the aunt ... what a thick-skinned woman. she has some nerve for treating suha and her family that way. witch ...

i'm still not over how beautiful KHN was in this drama. such a big contrast from her look in Romance. i just saw Almost Love, she's gotten pretty again ... i hope she keeps it up. no more weird hairstyles for this girl.

i thought SSH gets stiff at times. i'm not feeling any angst from his character. :huh: to be honest, i FWD his scenes with the girl with dark matte lipstick (how heinous, good thing she wore a better shade on the latter episodes) but i'd watch his scenes with KHN and LBH. after watching HT, i think my SSH-allergy is under control now. maybe, i could finally finish Autumn Tale. :P

JJH was good as yoon ju too. one of my favorite scenes of her was when she was shopping for Tae Poong's suit. when she said "i bet you'd look very handsome in suits" - i couldn't help but think that after HT, LBH wore tons of suits for BD and All In and yes Yoon Ju, your oppa looked VERY HANDSOME!

and Tae Poong, i really give him credit for setting his feelings for Suha aside in respect of his brother. it was so sad to watch him controlling himself ... he didn't dare to touch her when he wanted to comfort her :tears: oh and those scenes when he'd give Yoon Ju piggybacks ... *gets teary eyed again haha*

oldest sister + peppermint ... awwwww! :wub:

and tae-jin the little boy ... such a sweetie. i felt so sorry for this kid when the aunt would mistreat him.

oh yeah, i noticed that the major league coach was one of LBH's childhood friends in All In!

overall, i LOVED this drama. i'm so happy i finally i got to see it.

----------------------------------

elbie that tomb scene with LBH was funny :lol:

another heartbreaking tomb scene was when the middle sister got married. her husband asked "i thought we already visited your father?" and she said "that was my birth father. this was the father who raised me." :tears:

Thanks chula... love your recap of Happy Together... all in one... tears-inducing with a warm-feeling.

One of the scenes that made me cried non-stop was the scene after the wedding of the second sister. Tae Poong despite his strong opposition (with no help from the older sister and SSH) can't do anything but to let his dearest sis marry a gangster, as a brother... he only wants the best for her. After the wedding he went to look for KHN at the school but she's not there. He called her using the pay-phone but when asked his whereabouts, he lied... not realizing that KHN was actually nearby. He just wanted to see and talk to her but doesn't know or want to show it.

Remember then, because he's already in a suit (from the wedding) but only had a sneakers on, KHN bought him a really nice pair of shoes. At that moment... the flood of tears could no longer be contained. Tae Poong just had to turn around... he was so totally overwhelmed in sadness... looking at the new shoes. Someone is actually treating him nicely. :tears: On the ride home, holding the shoe box, he said nothing at all but you know... a lot were going on in his mind. :tears:

Suha's love for SSH (why can't i ever remember his name here?!) was stronger. i think it was maja who said that it is hard for Suha to just forget SSH ... after all they've been together for 10 years.

his name is seo ji shou ..they suppose to be bond so tightly together .when one is sick the other will be too .so that how close they are .........his brother met her too late. .10 years too late perhaps ..but he was a good man and a great brother ..and that what matters you cannot force another woman to love you .that love she had for both men is different :)

......you all know there is a book for happy together .haha but in chinese ..i got it in china ...though .but it was a good keepsake ..got all the lines and thoughts in the drama very well written out ..

his name is seo ji shou ..they suppose to be bond so tightly together .when one is sick the other will be too .so that how close they are .........his brother met her too late. .10 years too late perhaps ..but he was a good man and a great brother ..and that what matters you cannot force another woman to love you .that love she had for both men is different :)

......you all know there is a book for happy together .haha but in chinese ..i got it in china ...though .but it was a good keepsake ..got all the lines and thoughts in the drama very well written out ..

Isn't BH's character Suh/Seo Tae Poong? Do they have the same family name despite the different fathers? Or did the older siblings change their name to Tae Poong's family name when their father & mother got married? Or it is just coincidently similar names?

Btw, Shirley... not sure if you'd come to LBH thread any more but I had copied the article from Variety that you posted at LBH.SG. Thanks so much for sharing it. Hope it's alright with you that we share it here, too... at soompi, I mean. Appreciate it.

Guest shred

a Happy Together book? how nice!

i wish these DVDs come with special features though :( i would LOVE to see BTS of the cast. rubie, you got any Happy Together clips there? :P

confession: i'm not a big fan of the OST though. there is one song that i liked, the one they play whenever someone's crying. but i'm not so fond of the instrumentals. it's the late 90s ... the music back then was different so bygones :sweatingbullets:

omo ... the excessive placement/exposure of dunkin donuts and baskin robbins ... hilarious! :lol: wild guess: major sponsors? :P since LBH endorsed Dunkin Donuts, hehe.

i wish these DVDs come with special features though :( i would LOVE to see BTS of the cast. rubie, you got any Happy Together clips there? :P

confession: i'm not a big fan of the OST though. there is one song that i liked, the one they play whenever someone's crying. but i'm not so fond of the instrumentals. it's the late 90s ... the music back then was different so bygones :sweatingbullets:

omo ... the excessive placement/exposure of dunkin donuts and baskin robbins ... hilarious! :lol: wild guess: major sponsors? :P since LBH endorsed Dunkin Donuts, hehe.

Yeah, would love to have the book too... if only it's in English. :(

Aish... chula... you didn't like Tears in the series? I don't think it was ever in the OST but BH's song significantly played throughout the series, at some of TP's scenes. At least that's what we had on our tv version of the drama.

JJH worked at Baskin Robbins and DD... same as you... I immediately thought of BH's CF each time! :lol:

Isn't BH's character Suh/Seo Tae Poong? Do they have the same family name despite the different fathers? Or did the older siblings change their name to Tae Poong's family name when their father & mother got married? Or it is just coincidently similar names?

Btw, Shirley... not sure if you'd come to LBH thread any more but I had copied the article from Variety that you posted at LBH.SG. Thanks so much for sharing it. Hope it's alright with you that we share it here, too... at soompi, I mean. Appreciate it.

if i recall correctly ..there was a segment in esp 1 (also according to the book ) ..the second sister was shouting to the elderest sister and she mentioned about a kang can zhu..(sorri i cannot get the hangul name of the sister right so use han yu pin yin ) .i am not sure but seem like perhaps the real father is kang .but since their mother married the seo family they got to take the name .you can check it up further ~~ they got to follow the family registery dun they ? ..

oh that article sure ........er since u know i promised not to go there so ....me appearing is abit awakard .and maybe disturbing too.so i better stay away .. :sweatingbullets: dun want to cause unnecessary issues ..but u can post ...i just did not know if it was posted or not .:0 ..and since no one post much on the officical site .i thought i just do something for the site once in a while ..

ah i own the ost too :P but i think is the taiwan version one keke

JJH is a spokeman for baskin robbins before .but not anymore now ...i think

if you like happy together ..i always think the other drama by the same director and writer Piano is like a sequel to it sort of .the situation is the same just that .Piano is so much more sorrow ..but the performance by JHJ is awesome who is the gangster here in happy together ..! and with the elder sister .they make a couple in Piano .~ ! and with KHN too as their daughter ..

if i recall correctly ..there was a segment in esp 1 (also according to the book ) ..the second sister was shouting to the elderest sister and she mentioned about a kang can zhu..(sorri i cannot get the hangul name of the sister right so use han yu pin yin ) .i am not sure but seem like perhaps the real father is kang .but since their mother married the seo family they got to take the name .you can check it up further ~~ they got to follow the family registery dun they ? ..

Yeah... maybe you have a point. While the wife (I think) doesn't necessarily take the husband's name but the children sure need a surname for schooling and such. Actually, I didn't really pay attention to the birth father except that he was a policeman while the stepfather... someone with a gangster connection. ;)

oh that article sure ........er since u know i promised not to go there so ....me appearing is abit awakard .and maybe disturbing too.so i better stay away .. :sweatingbullets: dun want to cause unnecessary issues ..but u can post ...i just did not know if it was posted or not .:0 ..and since no one post much on the officical site .i thought i just do something for the site once in a while ..

Thanks for sharing and posting the article. But it's just too bad that you had to keep yourself away from the LBH thread when it's for everyone sharing about LBH. A pity too, that some sites just become so quiet as if there are no fans of LBH.

I just hope whatever differences we might have in other unrelated stuff (we could always work it out)... the least we can do is to share and talk about BH positively just like we did before.

if you like happy together ..i always think the other drama by the same director and writer Piano is like a sequel to it sort of .the situation is the same just that .Piano is so much more sorrow ..but the performance by JHJ is awesome who is the gangster here in happy together ..! and with the elder sister .they make a couple in Piano .~ ! and with KHN too as their daughter ..

I've heard a lot about Piano too.. with JHJ and CMS but never got around to seeing it. :blush: I don't quite like JHJ's gangster role in HT... don't know... overly harsh? :ph34r: But I do like the actor in Snowman, he's really stand out in the series. And his recent movie, The Romance... his acting was awesome but the movie doesn't get what it deserves.

I've heard a lot about Piano too.. with JHJ and CMS but never got around to seeing it. :blush: I don't quite like JHJ's gangster role in HT... don't know... overly harsh? :ph34r: But I do like the actor in Snowman, he's really stand out in the series. And his recent movie, The Romance... his acting was awesome but the movie doesn't get what it deserves.

here the happy together ost cover ...........and ah i love piano too ..it so intense and his performance in it was so great he become so popular haha .that he even won over lbh and ssh in SBS awards as the most popular actor i think .. :P

HTOST1.jpg

HTost.jpg

Guest shred

^ cute cover. where are the other siblings though?! :lol: SSH looks exactly like it - esp. those eyebrows.

rubie, this was the only song that i liked from the series :P

i actually had another Happy Together MV in my hard drive ... forgot the song but it started with Tae Poong wearing a wig when he and Peppermint had a concert in Yoon Ju's hospital room.

hmmm Piano? i'm curious of the drama ... but there aren't any eng subs available :( (is this an SBS drama? if it is, maybe it'll be in YA's long list of to sub series then)

so JJH was a Baskin Robbins endorser ...

tee hee i just remembered how Peppermint always stuff himself with doughnuts. poor man, he always got hit by Tae Poong but what a sweet friend!!!!

i think i have a major case of Happy Together hangover :lol:

rubie, i remember in the LBH thread you were saying something about the middle sister. what was the scandal that she was involved in? i was looking for the BPs ... couldn't find it :sweatingbullets:

^

chula, here are the HT clips I have so far...

Happy Together MV (Tears)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dhm3r1

Please Remember Me (MV)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2z09fo

Sad MV though... it had most of TP's sad scenes. The one when he broke down in the hospital, while singing for JJH is just ... so heartbreaking. :tears:

Interview with Kim Hee Soo (no subs though)... this is just BH alone, not the one with SSH

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9e2t4y

There's another clip too... about BD vs HT... the seawater vs the taxi love analogy. :D Can't find it yet.

:sweatingbullets: oh i always assumed the lbh thread will be very updated with you all there .so i guess i sort of help where the sites need the most help it been so long since i appear in his sites too ....--;; ...sure we can talk about LBH postively ...in dramas thread or movies threads . keke well not appearing in his thread or his sites ..i still do care about him in small ways ..;) ..actually i did send him an email for his best actor win .haha apparanetly the email was read (hanmail account can show when your email is opened by the receiver ) so i think he still reading his emails or at least someone is clearing for him .so you can still send to his email account :)

here the happy together ost cover ...........and ah i love piano too ..it so intense and his performance in it was so great he become so popular haha .that he even won over lbh and ssh in SBS awards as the most popular actor i think .. :P

The OST cover is really cute and sweet.. didn't know that it had caricatures in it instead of the real images. :P

It's good to know that you've sent BH a congratulatory email and that he had (presumably) read it. LBH sure has a very strong memory even with names. ^_^

Yeah.. we can always talk about BH in his drama or movie threads... lucky that we have Happy Together to get to discuss again. But wouldn't it be inclining towards off topics when we talk about an actor in the drama or movie thread when we could actually talk or discuss more in his/her own thread? Isn't that what we're supposed to do at the actor's thread?

Sorry... no need to reply to this. Just for discussion sake.

^

chula, here are the HT clips I have so far.. same as above plus a new one

Happy Together MV (Teaers)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dhm3r1

Please Remember Me (MV)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2z09fo

Interview with Kim Hee Soo (no subs though)... this is just BH alone, not the one with SSH

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9e2t4y

There's another clip too... about BD vs HT... the seawater anology vs the taxi love analogy. :D Can't find it yet.

The OST cover is really cute and sweet.. didn't know that it had caricatures in it instead of the real images. :P

It's good to know that you've sent BH a congratulatory email and that he had (presumably) read it. LBH sure has a very strong memory even with names. ^_^

Yeah.. we can always talk about BH in his drama or movie threads... lucky that we have Happy Together to get to discuss again. But wouldn't it be inclining to off topics when we talk about an actor in the drama or movie thread when we could actually talk or discuss in his/her thread. Isn't that what we're supposed to do at actor's thread?

yayay that is too off topic .we should get back to talk about Happy together .~~ ....soulmate will kill me .. :sweatingbullets: .it only one posting and i got carried away .......---;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; okay okay it wont happen again .~~ ...

....whatever any queries on happy together . i tried to seek for the answers ... ~ .it good to have ppl watching this ..maybe i should do up a review for it on soompi main site ..after i am done with other currrent dramas ..........

the female lawyer in happy together is in fact (Han Go-Eun) who i only recall where i first see her after i was watching more beautiful then flowers ..then someone mentioned happy together .~! ..she really change so much ..!!~her last drama i recall was in lawyer as that sexy secterary .

Guest shred

There's another clip too... about BD vs HT... the seawater vs the taxi love analogy. :D Can't find it yet.

thanks for the video clips!

hmmmm i should've paused the dvd and took notes when he was telling Suha that analogy ... :sweatingbullets:

did he say, love is like riding a taxi for 3 or 2 reasons? :unsure:

1. unlike buses ... it is unscheduled and you have to hail for it to come.

2. you have to sometimes share it with someone else until they reach their final destination.

i'll look for that scene again ... take note of the line ... and add it to the "most memorable quote/lines" thread :lol:

yayay that is too off topic .we should get back to talk about Happy together .~~ ....soulmate will kill me .. :sweatingbullets: .it only one posting and i got carried away .......---;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; okay okay it wont happen again .~~ ...

....whatever any queries on happy together . i tried to seek for the answers ... ~ .it good to have ppl watching this ..maybe i should do up a review for it on soompi main site ..after i am done with other currrent dramas ..........

the female lawyer in happy together is in fact (Han Go-Eun) who i only recall where i first see her after i was watching more beautiful then flowers ..then someone mentioned happy together .~! ..she really change so much ..!!~

A little off topic won't kill... please. We've already stayed away from too many things being on the list. You didn't get carried away, Shirley... I brought the topic of the article here and asked you about it. Please don't restrict yourself when talking about LBH. It's my fault if AG wants to penalize anyone, I can't ask you at LBH thread... I asked you here. But like you said... it's only one posting and no need to amend anything. Please.

But back to HT... some of us saw the series much earlier like youself, and some just recently getting to watch the heartwarming series. That is why the sudden interest on the series and with the thread already provided, it's best to talk here ... hopefully others will pick it up and not miss a truly heartwarming & feel good drama.

Uh... chula... what scandal with the middle sister? Reel or real? I don't think I mentioned anything about her in a scandal. :sweatingbullets: You're mistaken for another actress, perhaps. What I remember was that I mentioned to Ella that the actress who played the middle sister acted in King and the Clown recently.

Guest shred

^ puahahhahahaha. sorry rubes ... i got the actresses mixed up :lol::sweatingbullets:

i think it's time for our HT discussion to call it a night :P

*i'll keep my fingers crossed that more people will discover this drama and join the discussion next time*

Guest elbie-h forever

I am glad that everyone who watched Happy Together enjoyed it and still have fond memories of the series despite it being 7 years old. By the way there were issues that I want to resolve with your help. It was not clear to me why the second youngest sister owes the gangster a lot of money. Where did she spent it on? How come LBH did not immediately recognize his youngest sister in contrast with how he immediately recognize SSH? LBH and the youngest sister stayed together longer than the other three siblings as they were intentionally left behind, so they must be closer. I just hate it when the eldest sister blindly obeys her aunt, can't she once tell her to stop interfering with their lives.

Thanks and good night.

Archived