[Drama 1999] Happy Together 해피투게더

Guest kiye

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm....u want a solid recommendation~ .this was like my early kdramas maybe my fourth or fifth because the moment i read the synopsis it remind me of a favourite jdrama Under one roof .a very heartwarming tale of a brother seeking for his family ~ ..and want to make sure they are together ~ and how hard he tried to iron out the conflicts ~ ...i like the way this script was written and the cast deliver their performance ..in each of their roles ..u might not be able to find back this same cast to be together in a drama again ~ because it will be going into billions the way these actors/actress now are .. worth ..~ this was my first lbh drama . so i was pleasantly surprised at the down to earth guy his role is i still remember how he clean the shoes for his brother and quietly just place it outside for him ~ ..how desperate he was looking for his sister ~ ..

..and that kdrama is not only about rich and the beautiful ...or any ill fated romance but it can be too about a family about ordinary people with ordinary problems .or well not so ordinary but more realistic life choices .~ i sympathise with how ji shou feel so burdened and wanted to be free .but yet when the chance come he know that is not an easy choice to make ..~ .that sometimes you will have choices that you regret maybe later for choosing it but even greater regrets if you really make it ~ .....because u cannot live with it ~ ...so u just have to ..realllly choose with your heart .and know what are the choices that you will feel lesser regrets ~ ..

and how each of them has their own issues and how they can face it together and overcome it ~ .....i like each of the little plot for each of the member ...i even like the baseball coach .he is such a wise man with wisdom of words haha ~~ ...the writer i think wrote for Piano too which somehow to me was like a continuation of this drama ..as jo jae hyun was in it too with the elder sister Jo min soo here in happy together ~ ..and it speak of how two families are joined by marriage ~ as in happy together ~ ......i like that drama too ~

welll i am biased when it come to happy together it has sh and bh in it together ~ ..ahhh ~ .i think i watch this more then twice ~.

Always love reading your take on Happy Together, Shirley... just like previously done in the LBH thread. I was watching episode 1 last night... though I love BD to bits, it's been HT on my mind lately. The part when BH recognizes SSH in an instant at the hospital was totally the opposite on his brother's mind. He recognizes him too but .. simply... doesn't want to admit it. His 'dark past' returning to haunt?

And JJH.. with her little poodle, always following & watching her brother (LBH) at the baseball track, hoping that he would recognize her instead. Because she was still a baby when they separated, no one seems to remember her, how she would look. :( A simple kinda dorky guy, LBH's character... the sister he was not aware of was worried sick when he in fact was alright despite the accident at the track, sleeping so soundly & she thought he was in coma or something! :P

The siblings... each with their own problems... house mortgage... loansharks... criminals... responsiblity.. family...

^thank you for your wonderful input!!!!

i won't be able to watch it for awhile bc of

time constraints >_<!! but i think i will later

on. for some reason, the little interconnected

stories of all the characters kind of reminds

me of what people have been saying about

"goodbye solo." about the story being centered

around many characters and their real issues..

even though it's a totally different plotline.

hmm.. i'm watching "star in my heart" right

now. i think i'll tackle this one next ^^!! hehe

i'm really enjoying the older dramas for some

reason.

but wow. soompiers are so awsome.. so much

info, pics, input! thanks so much!!!!!!! :w00t:

ohhh haha u are into the old dramas now .then i think u are in the right mindset to watch happy together beacause some ppl might think is quite boring ` with no flashy cars and awesome scenery like some newer dramas now and quicker pace .but i like the pace in happy together ~ ..

hope you get to watch it soon ~ ^^ .. ~ well .er u can come here to rant too`after you watch just er dun hold me responsible if it not really your cup of tea ^ ..* ...just joking ( but some friends dont really enjoy it as much as i did ) .~

Always love reading your take on Happy Together, Shirley... just like previously done in the LBH thread. I was watching episode 1 last night... though I love BD to bits, it's been HT on my mind lately. The part when BH recognizes SSH in an instant at the hospital was totally the opposite on his brother's mind. He recognizes him too but .. simply... doesn't want to admit it. His 'dark past' returning to haunt?

And JJH.. with her little poodle, always following & watching her brother (LBH) at the baseball track, hoping that he would recognize her instead. Because she was still a baby when they separated, no one seems to remember her, how she would look. :( A simple kinda dorky guy, LBH's character... the sister he was not aware of was worried sick when he in fact was alright despite the accident at the track, sleeping so soundly & she thought he was in coma or something! :P

The siblings... each with their own problems... house mortgage... loansharks... criminals... responsiblity.. family...

ah .yes the hospital scene ~ haha he was eating oranges or something ~ not a pretty hunk sight ~ ..ji shou was ..influenced by his grandmother/sister and what happen to his family when his mother married a hooligan like LBH's father ~and to think his real father was a policeman ..(i think that was the case .. )

~ .i suppose it is something that weight heavily in his memory like his happy childhood was robbed by this intruder to their family ~ ..i like how he slowly open up to his brother though ~~ ..little gesture he did and how ..SH's take care of the little nephew in some ways ~ ..and how his nephew idolised him and he never say bad things about his father infront of him ~

ah and the dramatic scence of how finally the siblings meet and the sister stilll refuse to admit them as family ~ ...the words she said hurt the younger one ~ but still she love her sister because she never been around her real family before ~ ....i think she the link between the siblings ..she is the one who has blood from both their mother and father flowing through her .so she is the bond to make them a whole family again ~ .........^^ .

oh and the LBH's friend .. haha .i thought he was soo good haha later the actor was in Love letter as the priest and recently i see him as choi jin shil's husband in Pink life ....he was even nominated for a GRand Award in 2003 MBC before ~ .but though he did not win but he is really a solid actor ~~ .i love how he make the older sister open up ~ haha and how he cheer for LBH~ he a veryyy simple minded true friend ~

Yeah... I agree that some may find the series a bit 'too slow' and boring because there's nothing trendy (the romance wasn't that full blast either) in it to begin with... but I love the OST though. The actors.. as big names as they are today... with the drama didn't get the 'exposure' then like the Korean Wave era nowadays. But I'll always remember this as a great drama to discuss... the family scenes does tug at your heart-strings.

ohhh haha u are into the old dramas now .then i think u are in the right mindset to watch happy together beacause some ppl might think is quite boring ` with no flashy cars and awesome scenery like some newer dramas now and quicker pace .but i like the pace in happy together ~ ..

hope you get to watch it soon ~ ^^ .. ~ well .er u can come here to rant too`after you watch just er dun hold me responsible if it not really your cup of tea ^ ..* ...just joking ( but some friends dont really enjoy it as much as i did ) .~

ah .yes the hospital scene ~ haha he was eating oranges or something ~ not a pretty hunk sight ~ ..ji shou was ..influenced by his grandmother/sister and what happen to his family when his mother married a hooligan like LBH's father ~and to think his real father was a policeman ..(i think that was the case .. )

~ .i suppose it is something that weight heavily in his memory like his happy childhood was robbed by this intruder to their family ~ ..i like how he slowly open up to his brother though ~~ ..little gesture he did and how ..SH's take care of the little nephew in some ways ~ ..and how his nephew idolised him and he never say bad things about his father infront of him ~

ah and the dramatic scence of how finally the siblings meet and the sister stilll refuse to admit them as family ~ ...the words she said hurt the younger one ~ but still she love her sister because she never been around her real family before ~ ....i think she the link between the siblings ..she is the one who has blood from both their mother and father flowing through her .so she is the bond to make them a whole family again ~ .........^^ .

oh and the LBH's friend .. haha .i thought he was soo good haha later the actor was in Love letter as the priest and recently i see him as choi jin shil's husband in Pink life ....he was even nominated for a GRand Award in 2003 MBC before ~ .but though he did not win but he is really a solid actor ~~ .i love how he make the older sister open up ~ haha and how he cheer for LBH~ he a veryyy simple minded true friend ~

That scene when they finally meet.. is such a tearjerker. That's the only time LBH really came out strong in the series... all the pain and hardship he had to endure searching for the sibling, plus the endless cold treatment from Can Zhu & Zhi Suo... but because of their little sister, he's willing to do anything for her. Anything at all. Even beg...

Yeah.. the actor who played BH's buddy... the most unexpected but right person to get 'in contact' with the older sister, sweet ending.

And of course, his son... who's more mature than the father. :P

ah .yes the hospital scene ~ haha he was eating oranges or something ~ not a pretty hunk sight ~

Haha... totally ... not a pretty hunk sight to behold... :P

From the expression of SSH... you'd get the feeling that he'd probably wished the floor would just swallow LBH up or better still... swallow him instead and save him from the awkwardness. :sweatingbullets:

1-17.jpg

1-18.jpg

captures from leebyunghun.com

Guest Zi Yan

it's a powerhouse cast drama and i think the story was ok...

i've watched this series on a japanese channel in cable tv like 3 times hoping that i could understand the story better but then... :(

i can't understand Korean and i can't read japanese so it was hard for me to follow but i kept on watching till the end because of Kim Ha Neul :P

i thought that SSH's secretary was the reason why he broke up with KHN in the middle of the series but then i found out that it was because he chose his job over her...

and until now i don't know what disease JJH had that she needed a transplant or something...

can someone please tell me?

and until now i don't know what disease JJH had that she needed a transplant or something...

She had a kidney failure and needed a transplant from a suitable donor.

Guest atreyu112

it's a powerhouse cast drama and i think the story was ok...

i've watched this series on a japanese channel in cable tv like 3 times hoping that i could understand the story better but then... :(

i can't understand Korean and i can't read japanese so it was hard for me to follow but i kept on watching till the end because of Kim Ha Neul :P

i thought that SSH's secretary was the reason why he broke up with KHN in the middle of the series but then i found out that it was because he chose his job over her...

I have that series. bought and watched it and i liked it.. it's a heartwarming story.. with all kind of stories in one drama..

Ziyan, the reason why SSH n KHN broke up was because of SSH's ambition to be at the top & rich and with the help of the superduper i can't read - his rich colleague.. but at the end, he let go of his ambition because family comes first and money is not everything.. ermm.. i think i am going to watch it again tonite..

Guest kalinda

Happy Together is shown in local only Jakarta TV ... another 2 eps to go. I'm ok with it.. not realy head over heels though.. but I DO like SSH's character the most. I watched his other drama.. Endless Love w/ SHG and I didn't dig into him then.. anyway eventhough he was being a jerk in HT.. by once choosing good career over his love, even then he was tremendously feeling so much pain, he was torn... the scene when he was sick and he forced himself to see KHN, hugging and everything and then ended up saying.. we'd better break up.. *sigh..* sooo sad!... I could really sense his pain....

Guest Zi Yan

She had a kidney failure and needed a transplant from a suitable donor.

thanks! now i know...

Happy Together is shown in local only Jakarta TV ... another 2 eps to go. I'm ok with it.. not realy head over heels though.. but I DO like SSH's character the most. I watched his other drama.. Endless Love w/ SHG and I didn't dig into him then.. anyway eventhough he was being a jerk in HT.. by once choosing good career over his love, even then he was tremendously feeling so much pain, he was torn... the scene when he was sick and he forced himself to see KHN, hugging and everything and then ended up saying.. we'd better break up.. *sigh..* sooo sad!... I could really sense his pain....

oh, i remember this scene and i was like, what's going on?what did he say?

because they were hugging and KHN suddenly cried :huh::o

then i found out he wants to break up...lolz! :lol::lol:

i think maybe i should just buy a DVD copy to better understand the story :D:P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sazhie

i love this series! simply because it is very down to earth.......and all of them acted very well.......

there are so many heartwarming moments..........the scenes between ssh and his nephew, ssh and bh, when the eldest sister attended the sister's wedding etc etc........i love the last scene oso......!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow...I had no idea that there was this thread...

Hehehe. Anyways, I am currently downloading this drama but I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any soft sub files? I saw the first ep of the series without subs but I thought it looked really interesting. It's so neat in that all the people in this show are now main characters of their own...star-studded cast. First time I've seen SSH play second main and not lead.

Guest ineselin

i bought the vcd box set (thats the only i have in malaysia) but the final episode was not in korean, they subbed them into mandarin stead... so frustrating.. anyway, i bought it coz of KHN and SSH in it... its a plus to have LBH and JJH too.. The drama is okay if you are really into family things and stuff.. And the pressure Zhi Shuo is going thru and giving the viewer definitely give a pain in the neck too... Poor Xiu Zhe for waiting.. But it worth waiting for.. and To me its worth buying too.. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

happytogether.jpg

Premiering in 1999 on KBS, Happy Together is a hugely successful melodrama that tells the heart-wrenching story of five siblings whose lives are irrevocably changed by the tragic death of their parents. Lee Byung Hun, star of A Bittersweet Life and Everybody Has Secrets, stars as a professional baseball player named Su Tae Poong, who just so happens to be one of the orphaned children, now all grown-up. It seems three of the children were taken away, but for some reason, Suh Tae Poong and his younger sister were left behind. Due to Tae Poong's young age, his little sister had to be given up for adoption. Ever since, the kind-hearted Tae Poong has longed to bring the family back together, searching his whole life for his brother and three sisters. However, the reunion won't be quite what he expected!

In the present day, his elder sister Su Chan Joo (Jo Min Soo) supports her siblings Su Ji Suk (Song Seung Hun from Autumn In My Heart) and Su Moon Joo (Kang Sung Yun). Ji Suk finds himself engaged to Jin Soo Ha (Kim Ha Neul, from Romance). When Tae Poong finally finds his oldest sister and Ji Suk, his estranged siblings tell him to leave! If their coldness wasn't enough, an eight-year-old boy suddenly enters the picture, claiming to be Tae Poong's son. Faced with financial difficulties, Tae Poong turns to Chan Joo for help. Can there be a fairy-tale reconciliation? Or will it take a miracle? Find out in Happy Together, a compelling melodrama that also features popular My Sassy Girl co-stars Jeon Ji Hyun and Chae Tae Hyun in supporting roles!

Credit: http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/sect...pid-1004150038/

Guest elbie-h forever

I finally finished watching the series last night, after 8 days. I enjoyed every minute of the series. I shed so many tears with the cast and I laughed really hard with the antics of LBH and his best friend. The first time I cried is when LBH cried infront of the tomb of his father, I was so emotionally moved and then suddenly Su-ha said that she was mistaken and that the tomb is beside the tree. LBH who has still tears on his eyes, laughed out loud. I also could not contained myself and laughed too.

At first. I could not understand the attitude of the eldest sister on her siblings, why can't she accept them as she accepted SSH. But later, I tried to rationalize and understand her.

I love the relationship between LBH and the youngest sister as well as the second youngest sister. The three of them accepted each other as they are, no pretensions and no expectations. That's the true meaning of family.

All in all, if you're looking for a light drama with comedy on the side, you will enjoy Happy Together.

I finally finished watching the series last night, after 8 days. I enjoyed every minute of the series. I shed so many tears with the cast and I laughed really hard with the antics of LBH and his best friend. The first time I cried is when LBH cried infront of the tomb of his father, I was so emotionally moved and then suddenly Su-ha said that she was mistaken and that the tomb is beside the tree. LBH who has still tears on his eyes, laughed out loud. I also could not contained myself and laughed too.

At first. I could not understand the attitude of the eldest sister on her siblings, why can't she accept them as she accepted SSH. But later, I tried to rationalize and understand her.

I love the relationship between LBH and the youngest sister as well as the second youngest sister. The three of them accepted each other as they are, no pretensions and no expectations. That's the true meaning of family.

All in all, if you're looking for a light drama with comedy on the side, you will enjoy Happy Together.

Well said, elbie-h sis... can't agree more. It's really a good series, no matter how many years ago it came out... no matter how 'dorky' or goofy LBH looked... it's really a sweet and feel good drama. The (after) tomb scene was so funny! :lol:

The siblings are just little kids when circumstances changed their lives. They can only see and feel what's been told to them and not beyond that. It's a blessing for the family that Tae Poong (LBH) and the youngest sister (JJH) really love & misses all of them and did all he could to reunite them all, without him... they'd probably miss the happy life they could have lead and continue to be miserable, not knowing why.

Yeah.. the relationship between LBH and the 2 younger sisters are so cool. They really accepted and supported each other no matter how hard life have been for them but together, they made it through.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... keep on posting, ok. :)

Guest shred

i'll repost this here. i wish that more people could watch this drama since it's now available in Yesasia :)

and for a huge ensemble [of cast] ... this drama shouldn't be missed!

---------------------------------------------

i finished watching Happy Together last weekend. would you believe that i cried soooo much over this light drama?! the last time i was this "crybaby" was when i was watching MISA and Damo :lol: i loved the last

scene. i'm such a sap when it comes to stories about siblings :tears:

CTY and the thug brother in law were funny. such loving and thoughtful men ... for thugs :sweatingbullets:

like maja, my favorite character is the middle sister. this girl is just full of love for her tae pong oppa and yoon ju.

my least favorite is the aunt ... what a thick-skinned woman. she has some nerve for treating suha and her family that way. witch ...

i'm still not over how beautiful KHN was in this drama. such a big contrast from her look in Romance. i just saw Almost Love, she's gotten pretty again ... i hope she keeps it up. no more weird hairstyles for this girl.

i thought SSH gets stiff at times. i'm not feeling any angst from his character. :huh: to be honest, i FWD his scenes with the girl with dark matte lipstick (how heinous, good thing she wore a better shade on the latter episodes) but i'd watch his scenes with KHN and LBH. after watching HT, i think my SSH-allergy is under control now. maybe, i could finally finish Autumn Tale. :P

JJH was good as yoon ju too. one of my favorite scenes of her was when she was shopping for Tae Poong's suit. when she said "i bet you'd look very handsome in suits" - i couldn't help but think that after HT, LBH wore tons of suits for BD and All In and yes Yoon Ju, your oppa looked VERY HANDSOME!

and Tae Poong, i really give him credit for setting his feelings for Suha aside in respect of his brother. it was so sad to watch him controlling himself ... he didn't dare to touch her when he wanted to comfort her :tears: oh and those scenes when he'd give Yoon Ju piggybacks ... *gets teary eyed again haha*

oldest sister + peppermint ... awwwww! :wub:

and tae-jin the little boy ... such a sweetie. i felt so sorry for this kid when the aunt would mistreat him.

oh yeah, i noticed that the major league coach was one of LBH's childhood friends in All In!

overall, i LOVED this drama. i'm so happy i finally i got to see it.

----------------------------------

elbie that tomb scene with LBH was funny :lol:

another heartbreaking tomb scene was when the middle sister got married. her husband asked "i thought we already visited your father?" and she said "that was my birth father. this was the father who raised me." :tears:

Archived