Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest toxic-apple

Wow, thank you so so much for taking your time to explain everything.

zenigame- chriskong37

That was really helpful. all the information. Thank you

I'll try to follow your direction and will post update about it later.

I downloaded the archived files!!!!

For archived files --> http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

it work!!! muhahahahaha

However it said: "The contents of the file "windows media-1.sitx" can not be extracted with this program." :(

Please help! Thanks

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zenigame

Hmm, that's quite odd, if the Unarchiver has difficulty unpacking the .sitx perhaps Stuffit Expander may do better with it as chris mentioned. For the moment though, ignore the windows-media.sitx.

Have you installed WMP already for mac? I don't think the .sitx file you have is the actual application. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), Mac programs are usually found in mountable images --> .dmg in Macs case. WMP for Mac is nothing like it's windows counterpart, nowhere near it all. Microsoft stopped developing and updating WMP for Mac so the actual one they made has very little support. Since then Flip4Mac came into the scene and Microsoft has come to endorse them on their own site for Mac users. While you still can install WMP for Mac, it's really lousy imo, and I'd suggest just downloading and installing the Windows Media Components for Quicktime to play the windows media files you have. Compatibility is much better, although not perfect.

When you download the .dmg, double click it to mount it and then usually you'll be presented with a .app file which is essentially the Mac application. Sometimes .dmgs will contain installers too, however not with extensions like you see in windows (e.g. not .exe). The installers should be fairly straightforward. With .app, drag it into your applications folder to install it and then you can unmount the image.

Some other must have apps:

Quicksilver (app. launcher, file searcher, all around everything doer from keyboard, couldn't work on my mac without this)

Adium (multiprotocol messenger)

Camino (alt. browser in case not all things work with safari)

Transmission (bitorrent)

Azureus (bitorrent)

VLC (video playing)

Niceplayer (video playing)

Perian (quicktime components, add more file support to QT)

Guest xxdorkie

There was a installation CD that came with my MAC notebook. Do I have to install that? my MAC seems to be working fine.

Also, whenever I download music to my iTunes, it also saves onto my desktop. how can I prevent that from happening?

Whenever I download music from this site, it goes straight to music under library in my itunes. how can I transfer that to music under my ipod (devices)?

How do you change the volume?

I'm a MAC newb as you can tell by my questions :) I just bought it last night

Guest zenigame

There was a installation CD that came with my MAC notebook. Do I have to install that? my MAC seems to be working fine.

Also, whenever I download music to my iTunes, it also saves onto my desktop. how can I prevent that from happening?

Whenever I download music from this site, it goes straight to music under library in my itunes. how can I transfer that to music under my ipod (devices)?

I think the cd just contains osx and other preinstalled programs in case you want to reinstall/reformat/etc. How are you downloading music? With Safari? Safari might just be saving the files to your desktop. If you open Safari and go to preferences, under the general tab, you should see "Save downloaded files to:" you can select where you want your dl files to go. And the checkbox "Open 'safe' files after downloading" might be opening the music you dl right after they're complete, causing itunes to open, adding it to your music library.

Keyboard shortcut to open preferences:

Command (apple) + Comma

Enjoy your mac!

Guest kiye

count me in! ^^

13" white macbook 2GHz intel core duo. wanted the black! sniff.

(have imac at home).

been using macs since high school. can NEVER go back to using PCs. ever.

(and.. i converted two of my floormates to switch to macs! ^^*)

Guest Brusky

i've been on my mbp for about 2 weeks now and i love it. i'm still using my pc too (sitting right next to the mbp), but the pc's more for just playing music since the speakers are hooked up there (too lazy to change the wire haha). anyway, i got my CS3 design premium suite about a week ago and it's pretty spiffy (icons are rather bland tho). all in all, money well spent. can't wait to put it to more use come art school. :)

does anyone know a free download manager/accelerator for mac osx?

sorry, don't even use a download manager/accelerator for my mac. if you're still looking, check out which ones are offered in google. you could always find a crack for them. sorry couldn't be more helpful. noticed, no one replied to you.

like what zenigame has said, the installation cd is usually for reformatting/preinstalled software etc. if you're mac is fine right now, you don't have to install it.

where are you downloading your music from? once again, like zenigame stated, change your preferences if you're doing it through safari... just keep in mind by changing the preference like zenigame stated, all your downloaded files(whether its music or not) will be downloaded in location you have set. if you're d/ling music from like limewire, it usually does it automatically for and a creates another folder in your music folder and well automatically be added into your itunes library.

to transfer music to your ipod, connect your ipod to your mac. on your desktop your ipod should appear. depending on your setting in itunes, it will either automatically update your ipod with the music on your itunes, or will be left idle for you to choose what songs you want. if you would like to only choose the songs, in itunes, highlight the songs you want. in the left bar, your ipod should be listed. witht he highlight songs, just drag and drop it into your ipod icon on the left... once your finished all that, remember to "eject" your ipod properly. DO NOT automatically detach it from your mac. simply click on the eject button beside your ipod icon in the itunes. or, on your desktop, drag the ipod icon to the trashcan. this will not delete anything or throw it out. you will recognize that when you drag the ipod to the trashcan, the trashcan turns into and eject symbol. once the ipod icon disappears from your desktop, it is then safe to detach your ipod from your mac.

to change the volume, there should be volume buttons on probably F3,F4 &F5. first should be mute, second is lower volume, third is higher volume.

have fun with your mac! any questions, guess you could post them here...

sweeeeeeeeeeet just got my 2.4" MBP today :D

congrats? there's a question mark cuz congrats you got a macbook pro... but is there a 2.4" one?? that's hella small.. =p... i'm sure it's 2.4Ghz but you have 15.4 or 17"?

haha well uhhh...

i have a g4.

:( BUT I'M GOING TO GET A MACBOOK SOON DDDDD8

i had powerbook G4 12" ... how i miss it dearly... hey, g4 isn't THAT bad... which macbook you planning to get??

count me in! ^^

13" white macbook 2GHz intel core duo. wanted the black! sniff.

(have imac at home).

been using macs since high school. can NEVER go back to using PCs. ever.

(and.. i converted two of my floormates to switch to macs! ^^*)

hahahaha... is your macbook intel core duo 1 or 2? and why didn't you get the black? i have the black...

and kudos for converting your floormates to mac.. i converted my cousin and boyfriend ;) haha

i've been on my mbp for about 2 weeks now and i love it. i'm still using my pc too (sitting right next to the mbp), but the pc's more for just playing music since the speakers are hooked up there (too lazy to change the wire haha). anyway, i got my CS3 design premium suite about a week ago and it's pretty spiffy (icons are rather bland tho). all in all, money well spent. can't wait to put it to more use come art school. :)

congrats... and if i had a pc with my speakers, i'd be lazy to do wiring too =p.... let my know how cs3 is and if its any different from cs2... there's a program you can use to change the icons if you want... i know my friends use candybar. i'm sure there's other related applications.

Guest toxic-apple

Some other must have apps:

Quicksilver (app. launcher, file searcher, all around everything doer from keyboard, couldn't work on my mac without this)

Adium (multiprotocol messenger)

Camino (alt. browser in case not all things work with safari)

Transmission (bitorrent)

Azureus (bitorrent)

VLC (video playing)

Niceplayer (video playing)

Perian (quicktime components, add more file support to QT)

yay I finally get my music window media to work :tears: after all the installation - i don't know which one helped, since i just downloaded everything.

the more the better right.

thank you to your advices that it's finally working.

hm.. i have few more questions

is caminobrowser similiars to firefox? helped protect from viruses?

is bitorrent necessary since i don't download drama at all?

and if window media can perform video playing then do i still need to download what you've listed?

thanks

Guest chriskong37

by the look of camino browser id say its pretty much the same as firefox. the user interface looks the same and it also uses the same rendering engine as firefox (mozilla gecko). a rendering engine is what controls how pages are displayed (hence, why windows live hotmail displays different in safari compared to firefox and internet explorer). i'd suggest firefox just because its more common and has more extensions should you choose to use them. that being said, i have never tired camino so i cannot be sure.

bitorrent is not a necessary download. im guessing that zenigame just put those programs there as an suggestive list for mac os x. you do not need to download them all. besides, if you don't download things like dramas/music then there probably be no use for it.

depending on what videos you watch you may or may not need other video players. windows media player will generally support most video types that people have. so you shouldn't need to download any other video players unless windows media does not support it. in saying that, im quite sure there are better alternatives to windows media player for mac right now. the mac version seems to be a tad outdated (2003 ish... okay lets say majorily outdated). i think microsoft has started suggesting customers to go to other video players for mac and only now develops programs like office and messenger for mac.

no problem.

Guest suitcases

in saying that, im quite sure there are better alternatives to windows media player for mac right now. the mac version seems to be a tad outdated (2003 ish... okay lets say majorily outdated). i think microsoft has started suggesting customers to go to other video players for mac and only now develops programs like office and messenger for mac.

Microsoft discontinued the Mac version of WMP a few years ago. The "current" Mac version does not support WMP10 files. There will be no more updates to the program, ever. VLC Player and MPlayer are to very good alternatives to WMP. If you download the QuickTime plugin "Flip 4 Mac" you will be able to play Windows media files (.wma, .wmv) inside QT. Search the programs section at Apple.com and you'll find all of these programs I mentioned. Also: it isn't possible to play Windows Media files embedded in an .avi on a Mac computer, because Microsoft refuses to release the necessary code to Mac developers.

By the way, can I join the club? I have a PowerbookTi G4 and a PowerbookAl G4 which I adore (even if they are "old"). I've been an Apple user my whole life (our first computer was a IIci!!).

Is anyone here old enough to remember eWorld? :D

Guest zenigame

is caminobrowser similiars to firefox? helped protect from viruses?

is bittorrent necessary since i don't download drama at all?

and if window media can perform video playing then do i still need to download what you've listed?

I suggested some more than necessary haha. They're useful things to have, certainly the video players in case you ever run into a file difficult to play. Concerning Camino, it is similar to Firefox, except that it is built exclusively for Mac OSX, a native OSX Mozilla browser. Plugins may be less but it's a very capable browser. I personally find Firefox sluggish on Mac compared to other ones, so I stick with Camino and Safari.

http://pimpmycamino.com/ --> has Camino plugin/extensions, Camitools is great, adds some adblocking and other features

And yeah you don't really need bittorrent as others mentioned.

Do get Flip 4 Mac (http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm), it'll expand windows media compatibility, not to the extent that can be found on Windows, but as good as it gets on Mac for now.

If you did download Quicksilver and haven't had the chance to play with it yet hit:

control + spacebar

to bring it up, then type the name (part of the name works too) of an application and hit enter. It should open the app up :)

Once you get used to it, you'll find yourself opening, finding, and doing stuff on your mac much easier and more efficient.

I think that's the default command to bring it up, assuming Quicksilver.app starts up with your computer or is already open.

Sorry for the mixup :)

Guest treeesh

oh, i was wondering does external hard drives work with mac?

i got an external hard drive from last year which i had used for my PC when i was back home but i realise mac reads it but it doesn't allow you to add and remove stuff from it.

i heard that mac doesn't really support external hard drives. is that true?

does anyone use an external hard drive here for your mac and is there any recommendations as to how?

i'm tired of burning all my shows into dvds.

Guest zenigame

oh, i was wondering does external hard drives work with mac?

i got an external hard drive from last year which i had used for my PC when i was back home but i realise mac reads it but it doesn't allow you to add and remove stuff from it.

i heard that mac doesn't really support external hard drives. is that true?

does anyone use an external hard drive here for your mac and is there any recommendations as to how?

i'm tired of burning all my shows into dvds.

I use an external hd with mine. It's a western digital mybook. I think you can't write to the disk because of its file system. Your pc probably formatted the drive in a windows filesystem, maybe ntfs. Macs can only read from ntfs, not write. The mac file systems are HFS+, so to be able to write on the ext. hd, the drive needs to be formatted "Mac OS journaled" in disk utitliity. FAT formatted drives seem to work to, as my flash drives are all FAT32 and read/write fine on a mac.

Reformatting your drive will cause you to lose all data on it. You may want to transfer all the data to your pc before doing so.

Pardon the poor explanation. I'm not absolutely sure here so a second opinion would be benificial. A possible alternative for your situation may be

http://lifehacker.com/software/how-to/read...-mac-270976.php

however, I can't vouch for it.

Guest chriskong37

to treesh,

i assume that your external hdd. was used on a pc, so i assume ntfs. zenigame is right: mac's cannot write on ntfs filesystems, they can only read. to use your external hdd. on a mac you'll need to format it to hfs+ or fat32. its important to remember that although windows will recognize the mac formatted external volume (through control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disc manager) it will not read or write to it. so if you would like to maintain compatibility between both the mac and pc when you use the external hdd you will need to format to "fat32". if you choose to format it is important to back up your data, as formatting will cause all of it to be lost. whatever format you choose, to format to hfs+ you need to use the "disk utility" from mac os x OR to format to fat32 you need to use windows to format it. mac's wont format to fat32, and pc's wont format to hfs+.

i have a mac computer =D!

dont know what kind rofl..

umm it's white, it's big... it's a computer XP im dumb i kno

haha... well to find out what sorta mac you have click on the blue apple located top left hand corner then on "About this Mac". and its all there!

Guest sofia

I've got a Mac Ver 10.4.9 Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 DuoIt's my first iMac and I really love it. Except some limitation on d/l and viewing some websites.Besides that, it's so fast and quick to navigate.

I use an external hd with mine. It's a western digital mybook. I think you can't write to the disk because of its file system. Your pc probably formatted the drive in a windows filesystem, maybe ntfs. Macs can only read from ntfs, not write. The mac file systems are HFS+, so to be able to write on the ext. hd, the drive needs to be formatted "Mac OS journaled" in disk utitliity. FAT formatted drives seem to work to, as my flash drives are all FAT32 and read/write fine on a mac. Reformatting your drive will cause you to lose all data on it. You may want to transfer all the data to your pc before doing so.Pardon the poor explanation. I'm not absolutely sure here so a second opinion would be benificial. A possible alternative for your situation may behttp://lifehacker.com/software/how-to/read...-mac-270976.phphowever, I can't vouch for it.
I'v encountered the same problem, you'll have to asked the seller for a external disk which can use both Mac and Windows.The one I bought is from Sarotech -> Cutie DX (pocket hard disk drive). It works well with both OS. Hope this helps.

I have some question regarding Megaupload...I can't seem to d/l any files from MU. The message keep on prompting to d/l MU d/l manager. I know it won't work with MU...but still it keeps on prompting. Can you suggest a way to cancel out the option?

Guest n-jjang

hello, this is my first time here.. hahah.. i never know there's this mac thread! this is kewl!! :D

i have mac pro 15", i bought this for my school projects, they said that mac is the best for design :D lol

Do you happen to know any application to convert rmvb files to flv??

i was going to ask you guys about this too.. i've been having some troubles with these files.. i cant change them either to flv/avi..

i cant download from megaupload either, i think it only works in internet explorer,, same as clubbox.. coz i use firefox for my mac & windows, and i cant use megaupload from firefox/safari..

i hav another question too, does anyone know any good application for converting a video to mp4 for ipod?

and, i tried to watch some videos with VLC with subs, but the subs wont come out even though i've browse them @ the VLC preferences, does anyone know why? :( thank you so much :D

Archived