Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest Volts

For me the decision was simple as I wanted something low profile. I just use a kvm switch to use an existing monitor for the mac mini. The mac isn't my primary pc and I only use it for work purposes. The imac has a much larger profile and is overkill for my needs. I just need something that will run osx. I think it really depends on what you're planning to use your mac for.

I'm actually doing all my work on my notebook and i don't have any desktop at home and wanted to try something different for a change. I think i'm leaning towards the mini than the imac

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rainbowdashkorea

white macbook 2.0ghz, 1gbmemor, 80 gig harddrive

i've had this baby for about 8 monthes now and I LOVE it! but i can see alil blackness smearing into the palmrest area. Does anyone know any cleaning solutions that will make it white looking again?

Guest Xarthan

i've had this baby for about 8 monthes now and I LOVE it! but i can see alil blackness smearing into the palmrest area. Does anyone know any cleaning solutions that will make it white looking again?

might want to take it into the mac store and ask them about it. I remember there was a recall once about the palmrest area faded out.

Guest tontamoo

This works on my iBook G4, but I'm not sure if the same method would work for the MacBook. You might want to try just a tiny, tiny area first to see if it scratches or anything like that.

Get the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, wet it a little bit with water, and just rub it over the dirty areas... lightly, no need to apply too much pressure.

Like I said, this worked perfectly fine with my computer, but I don't remember if the MacBook was glossy or not on the palmrests. If it is, you might not want to try the method I mentioned above. If it's matte, then yeah it'd probably work.

Guest .Cherry.

I'm so glad to finally see that there's a Mac user's group thread here on soompi!! *woot!*

I became a Mac user in June 2006. I currently have two mac computers, one as a laptop and the other as a desktop.

Laptop: White MacBook - 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo // 1 GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM of memory.

Desktop: iMac - 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo // 512 MB 0 MHZ RAM of memory.

@ j79 - I saw that you had some really great links posted on your first post. I have another website that you could add called, Cool OS X Apps: http://www.coolosxapps.net/ It's a fantastic website to download really cool Mac applications from.

Anyway, it's great to see mac users on here and it was nice meeting you all! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dhillman

hi there. i just got a macbook pro this afternoon... but now im really confused in terms of how to get around things... u know. anyone willing to offer any help to any questions i may have?

Guest lakers

does anybody know how to open .zip files with passwords? I cant seem to open it on my macbook everytime ther is a password.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

Today is Apple's World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC)!

Hopefully Jobs will reveal some of those "secret" features of Leopard :D

hi there. i just got a macbook pro this afternoon... but now im really confused in terms of how to get around things... u know. anyone willing to offer any help to any questions i may have?

Hi dhillman,

Sorry it's a late reply. But, I'm sure if you have any questions, we'd all be willing to give you a hand. So, definitely feel free to ask any questions you may have. ^_^

previously i owned a PowerBook G4 12" Superdrive (80GB hardrive, 256RAM-didn't have money to upgrade)

i had mine since my first year university, so like end of 2004.

just last september i sold it and bought the new black MacBook Intel Core Duo (Core1 duo, not core2)

i miss my powerbook dearly, simply cuz it was my first laptop, my first mac, my first baby!!

but i see it once in a while cuz i sold it to my bestfriend =)

currently searching for a decent monitor to do a dual screen.

i need the workspace for my homework(i study graphic design)

ummm... currently with my laptop, i own the apple mightmouse, a 4x5 wacom graphire tablet

a 100GB maxtor external hardrive.. that's about it....

as for software, adobe creative suite 2, microsoft office, adium, final cut pro HD, the usual mac software.. umm can't think of anymore at the moment...

started using macs in grade 10 at school for my media arts class. purchased my mac for university...

love macs to the fullest! =)

hopefully by next year, after graduation, i'm gonna purchase a desktop mac. we'll see what's out at the time ;) powerpc for sure though..

Brusky - congrats man! I know a few people who own a MacBook Pro and absolutely love it. I think it'll be my next mac to replace my PowerBook

Shortee28 - if you're looking for suggestions for the lcd monitor, may i suggest dell? apple and dell share lcd panels, but dell tends to spec them higher (better contrast ratio, more inputs..) and the price is great!

ryancm - congrats! love the picture! :D

Oh, here's a shot of my set up~!

setup_soompi.jpg

i love your setup! i'm so jealous...

have you thought bout getting the icurve for your laptop?

that's if you're doing the dual screen thing

which looks like your doing but not sure..

my friend has one, its pretty cool,

takes it up and brings it approx height as the monitor...

which i might add, i wanted that cinema display so baddd

but its too expensive for me =(

thanks for the tip though in dell monitors...

i shall get check up on those... thanks =)

once again, love your setup ;)

Guest Brusky

15.4" 2.4GHZ macbook pro arrived monday morning with my free nano ;D got it, applecare, and the nano for $2600. adobe cs3 to come soon!

can anyone recommend a good mid/full sized mouse? :)

and j79, that's such a clean setup man - love it! baller $$$ haha

Guest wysiwyg

I'm planning on purchasing a Mac Pro and I'm not sure which options to add.

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)

2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $179]

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $299]

3 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $359]

Wireless Options

None

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR module [Add $35]

AirPort Extreme card (Wi-fi) [Add $59]

Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme [Add $95]

Also, I noticed on the Apple website, university students get a free iPod Nano. What kind of information will they need in order to get a Nano?

Thanks Brusky and shortee28!!

I'm planning on purchasing a Mac Pro and I'm not sure which options to add.

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)

2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $179]

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $299]

3 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $359]

Wireless Options

None

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR module [Add $35]

AirPort Extreme card (Wi-fi) [Add $59]

Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme [Add $95]

Also, I noticed on the Apple website, university students get a free iPod Nano. What kind of information will they need in order to get a Nano?

Hi wysiwyg,

The last few times I've ordered products through Apple's Education store, there was no "validation" required on my end. I'm not sure if it's an "honor" system or if they actually validate with the school you're a student there, but I've never been asked to prove I'm a student. So, I believe as long as you order your set up through the Education store, you should get a free Nano thrown in.

Not sure which graphics card set up I'd go with (probably the ATI with 512MB RAM, unless you're planning some serious dual monitor setups...) but for the Wireless, I'd definitely go with the Bluetooth and AP Extreme option. When I purchased my PowerMac, I held out on the Bluetooth thinking I could throw in the module later -- turns out it's pretty hard to find and install a bluetooth module. So, now I have a Bluetooth dongle taking up a USB port all cause I wanted to save 40 bucks :P

Archived