j79

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWESOME SOOMPI MAC GROUP!!! lol

13" Macbook; 1GB memory

and....i have a really quick question.

I called apple to confirm, but the tech guy i was talking to didn't really seem to be sure.

When leopard comes out, will boot camp feature a full compatibility for windows?

I'm very interested in playing some games (i.e. Pangya lol) and etc. that are normally windows games..

Wouldn't there be some kind of conflict with the directx driver or anything like that?

:D

I think there are a few people here who are using the Beta version of Boot Camp to play games

and for the most part, have no issues. I know a few people who use Boot Camp to run Windows only

apps and they also have no problems. I think Apple is releasing updated drivers with every beta release

to address any weird quirks...so hopefully by the time Leopard is ready to roll, Windows and Mac hardware

will play together perfectly :)

Have you tried out the Beta version of Boot Camp??

Guest dREAMYrEVERIE

Hi everyone, I'm a SOON TO BE Mac user. I just placed my order for a Macbook a couple days ago so I'm waiting for it to come.

MacBook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White

SuperDrive 8x, 120GB, 1GB RAM... etc

Anyways, I bought iWork '06 preinstalled in this thing, but I'm starting to regret it. I know I can't change it now -_- oh well. I wanted to know what you guys use for your classwork? [Like powerpoint presentations, essays, things like that.] Do any of you use iWork? If so, what do you think about it compared to Word and Powerpoint. I'm also wondering if I make a presentation using iWork and save it as a Powerpoint file, will it play smoothly on a PC?

=) Thanks, I've grown up on PCs and I have certificates for Word & Exel -_- so I'm so used to these programs for schoolwork. This switch to Mac is getting me a bit worried.

Hi everyone, I'm a SOON TO BE Mac user. I just placed my order for a Macbook a couple days ago so I'm waiting for it to come.

MacBook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White

SuperDrive 8x, 120GB, 1GB RAM... etc

Anyways, I bought iWork '06 preinstalled in this thing, but I'm starting to regret it. I know I can't change it now -_- oh well. I wanted to know what you guys use for your classwork? [Like powerpoint presentations, essays, things like that.] Do any of you use iWork? If so, what do you think about it compared to Word and Powerpoint. I'm also wondering if I make a presentation using iWork and save it as a Powerpoint file, will it play smoothly on a PC?

=) Thanks, I've grown up on PCs and I have certificates for Word & Exel -_- so I'm so used to these programs for schoolwork. This switch to Mac is getting me a bit worried.

Welcome dREAMYrEVERIE!

I also grew up on a PC so I know how you're feeling. It can be a bit daunting, especially if you're comfortable on a PC running Windows. But, once you get the hang of OS X, I'm sure you'll love your Mac. Everyone I know (personally) who has switched has ended up loving their Macs. One person switched her whole family (her dad hated computers for the most part but ended up loving her iBook so he bought himself one...and just recently got a MacBook!!)

Classwork for me consists of:

TextEdit (think of WordPad for Mac) and PowerPoint. I do have iWork 06 installed as well as Microsoft Office, but I prefer TextEdit for writing essays. It opens and exports to Word documents and have never had an issue with a professor not being able to read a word doc I emailed them. Likewise, I've never had a problem opening word documents they sent me. I know Pages can open and export to Word format (.doc), so you can definitely use it for essays. The only time I've used Pages was to make an invoice to send someone (and the invoice ended up looking nice and professional :D)

I use PowerPoint, not because I really like it, but because I'm use to it. And for the most part, I've never needed to make a presentation that required "wowing" anyone. If I wanted to impress someone, I would definitely use Keynote. You can always spot a Keynote presentation because...well, they tend to be pretty slick. They do export as PowerPoint files but you'll probably encounter some quirks when you try to play them back (unless you make a plain jane, Keynote presentation...) Personally, I would pick up a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter, just in case I needed to present a presentation -- I would hook my PowerBook up to the digital projector and just make the presentation off my machine. Check this out for another look at Keynote vs. PowerPoint

http://presentationmaster.digitalmedianet....le.jsp?id=38807

Goodluck!

Guest MUGETSU

Alright I need some help.

I'm currently using a 2 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X Version 10.4.10

It only has 512 MB DDR SDRAM.

I'm looking increase the RAM to the maximum allowable.

What should I buy?

Thanks!

i'm planning on buying an iMac but i need to know if it'll run my Photoshop, Imageready, and AfterEffects (which i bought from academicsuperstore.com at a fraction of their original prices, but they're windows only:( )

:

and if i could still use them *hopefully* how do i go about doing that?

Alright I need some help.I'm currently using a 2 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X Version 10.4.10It only has 512 MB DDR SDRAM.I'm looking increase the RAM to the maximum allowable.What should I buy?Thanks!

Actually, there were a few different revisions of the PowerMac, which used different RAM. The easiest way to check would be to:

Click Apple --> About This Mac

Click More Info

Click Memory (Under Hardware)

You should see a list of the two RAM chips installed. Your speed *may* be something like:PC3200U-30330 which means you need PC3200 DDR RAM with 184 pins.

I personally bought most of my RAM from NewEgg.com. I think the maximum allowable for your G5 is 8 GB of RAM. You have to buy chips in "pairs" - that is, they have to be the same size (so you can't have one 1GB and another 512MB chip..)I bought Crucial RAM from NewEgg as well as some PNY from Staples. Both work fine. Ignore the more "expensive" RAM (like Corsair XMS) -- they look nice and all, but the RAM slots for the G5 are too tight for chips with heatsinks...

i'm planning on buying an iMac but i need to know if it'll run my Photoshop, Imageready, and AfterEffects (which i bought from academicsuperstore.com at a fraction of their original prices, but they're windows only:( ): and if i could still use them *hopefully* how do i go about doing that?

What you'd have to do is call Adobe and ask them for a "Cross-grade" to move from PC to Mac. I found this on an Apple-related forum:

You can cross-grade, I've done it recently. You call Adobe directly and it costs about $5 for shipping the Mac formated media. They email you a form to fill out and either scan and email, fax, or mail back saying that you will destroy the Win version upon acceptance of the Mac version. From the phone call to reception of the package (complete Mac full version retail) was about 5 business days. Granted I scanned the form and emailed it as a PDF to shave some time, but it was a great service non the less.

Good luck! And enjoy your new imac (if you get it! :D)

Guest chriskong37

i'm planning on buying an iMac but i need to know if it'll run my Photoshop, Imageready, and AfterEffects (which i bought from academicsuperstore.com at a fraction of their original prices, but they're windows only:( )

:

and if i could still use them *hopefully* how do i go about doing that?

~*kyo*~, iMac's and mac's in general will run photoshop, imageready and aftereffects. however the versions that you have bought from academicsuperstore.com will not run on the macintosh operating system. it's possible to run it under your iMac, but you will need to install windows as well.

you will need to buy a mac compatible version of photoshop, imageready, and aftereffects or do a cross-grade

Guest theLEGEND

Since this is my first time using Mac, can someone tell me which application should I use to open rar files? Thanks. :)

Guest chriskong37

hey mac users,

a few posts up there were some of you guys talking about iwork and asking about what office suites you may use. i use microsoft office 2004 primarily because it's what i've grown with/am use to and also because it's the "defacto" standard.

i've tried textedit but it just seemed too basic for me, it couldn't do the things nor had the functionality that a full blown word processor like ms word has.

however, for anyone looking to buy microsoft office for mac i would suggest to wait. there is a newer version due for release around Q4 of this year. this new to be released version 2008 will have better support for mac and be a universal application. office 2004 for mac is a powerpc application (powerpc was the old type of processor used before the transition to intel) and did run under the intel platform but with performance side effects (lags, etc...).

if your looking for a free alternative try "neooffice" which is like a suite built upon openoffice for windows. for anyone curious: http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php. i've never tried it but have heard good review on it.

Guest dREAMYrEVERIE

^ there is word and excel for mac

Hmm yeah I was just wondering if I should buy that or stick with iWork *sigh* I don't want to waste more money, lol.

Welcome dREAMYrEVERIE!

I also grew up on a PC so I know how you're feeling. It can be a bit daunting, especially if you're comfortable on a PC running Windows. But, once you get the hang of OS X, I'm sure you'll love your Mac. Everyone I know (personally) who has switched has ended up loving their Macs. One person switched her whole family (her dad hated computers for the most part but ended up loving her iBook so he bought himself one...and just recently got a MacBook!!)

Classwork for me consists of:

TextEdit (think of WordPad for Mac) and PowerPoint. I do have iWork 06 installed as well as Microsoft Office, but I prefer TextEdit for writing essays. It opens and exports to Word documents and have never had an issue with a professor not being able to read a word doc I emailed them. Likewise, I've never had a problem opening word documents they sent me. I know Pages can open and export to Word format (.doc), so you can definitely use it for essays. The only time I've used Pages was to make an invoice to send someone (and the invoice ended up looking nice and professional :D)

I use PowerPoint, not because I really like it, but because I'm use to it. And for the most part, I've never needed to make a presentation that required "wowing" anyone. If I wanted to impress someone, I would definitely use Keynote. You can always spot a Keynote presentation because...well, they tend to be pretty slick. They do export as PowerPoint files but you'll probably encounter some quirks when you try to play them back (unless you make a plain jane, Keynote presentation...) Personally, I would pick up a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter, just in case I needed to present a presentation -- I would hook my PowerBook up to the digital projector and just make the presentation off my machine. Check this out for another look at Keynote vs. PowerPoint

http://presentationmaster.digitalmedianet....le.jsp?id=38807

Goodluck!

Thanks for all that information! I suppose I'll play around with iWork until I come across problems. Since I already bought it >< eek. I wish everyone had a mac!

hey mac users,

a few posts up there were some of you guys talking about iwork and asking about what office suites you may use. i use microsoft office 2004 primarily because it's what i've grown with/am use to and also because it's the "defacto" standard.

i've tried textedit but it just seemed too basic for me, it couldn't do the things nor had the functionality that a full blown word processor like ms word has.

however, for anyone looking to buy microsoft office for mac i would suggest to wait. there is a newer version due for release around Q4 of this year. this new to be released version 2008 will have better support for mac and be a universal application. office 2004 for mac is a powerpc application (powerpc was the old type of processor used before the transition to intel) and did run under the intel platform but with performance side effects (lags, etc...).

if your looking for a free alternative try "neooffice" which is like a suite built upon openoffice for windows. for anyone curious: http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php. i've never tried it but have heard good review on it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely wait for the 2008 version if I decide I really need microsoft office. Neooffice sounds interesting, I've read about it before also. I normally don't like freeware because they don't have as many features, lol. Maybe I'll give this a shot also if I find problems with iWork.

=) My macbook is finally shipped and it shall come on Aug 3 so I'm really excited. Thanks for the help everyone.

Guest atlanticgal

i got a sexy macbook 13inch with 2GB memory, GHz, mightmosue & inmotion speakers :D:D i love my mac but im considering getting an imac for finalcut and studio pro coz my macbook isnt fast enough >_>

Guest Xarthan

i got a sexy macbook 13inch with 2GB memory, GHz, mightmosue & inmotion speakers :D:D i love my mac but im considering getting an imac for finalcut and studio pro coz my macbook isnt fast enough >_>

o yeah? what's ur macbook speed? I remember running final cut studio on my 1.8 MB Core Duo 1 and it worked great.

Guest PURPLEjUiCE

i LOVEEE my macbook

once you go mac you wont ever go back! (to pc that is...)

is so true

mac is like lightweight and plus its sooo much more easier to use.

when i switched from pc to mac i HATED it... cuz i was used to pc

but once you get used to mac you realize how much more efficient it is...

its faster loading, its less frequent of any harmful computer viruses

and mann gotta say i love it :]

one con about the mac though....

i cant play games on it -_- lol

i have the macbook 13" too, black. it has 2GHz and finalcut is running fine... unless you want something super fast...

i LOVEEE my macbook

once you go mac you wont ever go back! (to pc that is...)

is so true

mac is like lightweight and plus its sooo much more easier to use.

when i switched from pc to mac i HATED it... cuz i was used to pc

but once you get used to mac you realize how much more efficient it is...

its faster loading, its less frequent of any harmful computer viruses

and mann gotta say i love it :]

one con about the mac though....

i cant play games on it -_- lol

couldn't agree more, about the once you go mac, you wont ever go back....

same situation with pc to mac happened to me,

but i ended up converting ppl to mac. hahaha...

as for not being able to play games..

OF COURSE YOU CAN!

and since you got the macbook,

and its intel based, you can run windows on it and play pc games on it..

i play games on mine.. not often, but i used to have an emulator on my old powerbook...

but yeh, i guess not playing games can't be a con =p

cuz you most certainly use it for gaming =)

Guest yungstar

i'm in desperate need of help.

i recently started using a Powerbook, that my sister gave me, and its been a real pain adapting to MacOs after being a windows user for 10+ years.

however, the OS isn't my main problem. it seems like the right click on my Powerbook is no longer working and my sister informed me that her applecare plan just expired a few months ago.

is this a common problem with Powerbooks?

do you guys have any suggestions?

any help is greatly appreciated! thanks guys!

:lol:

Guest PURPLEjUiCE

i have the macbook 13" too, black. it has 2GHz and finalcut is running fine... unless you want something super fast...couldn't agree more, about the once you go mac, you wont ever go back....same situation with pc to mac happened to me,but i ended up converting ppl to mac. hahaha...as for not being able to play games..OF COURSE YOU CAN!and since you got the macbook,and its intel based, you can run windows on it and play pc games on it..i play games on mine.. not often, but i used to have an emulator on my old powerbook...but yeh, i guess not playing games can't be a con =pcuz you most certainly use it for gaming =)

i know theres parallel for mac but is there a windows emulator thats FREE?

cuz u have to pay for it (I think) or you need to get the windows disk buti dont have that either =(

yeah i had a SNES emulator and that was boring... and the only gamei can play on it (software)

is THE SIMS 2 haha which is okay....but i miss playing gunbound on my pc :[ haha

oh btw a question for MACBOOK users!!my battery went dead recently

and it has a b lack x on it!i went to the website and upgraded the battery and

everythingbut its still x_x... does anyone know what other solution i can revert

to besides resetting my mac?

I have a black macbook, for some reason, limewire does not work for me. It would run normally but when i want to download something, nothing happened. there isn't any popup telling me what's the problem. does anyone know what's the problem, am i supposed to configure or change the setting? i also have bootcamp beta so whenever i switch over window then it works fine. everyone else has this problem or limewire works perfectly fine for you guys. hopefully someone knows what i'm talking about.

Archived