Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Xarthan: no, I use Opera and Firefox, I rarely use Safari and IE.

seakpopfan: yeah you're right, I guess I just freaked out cuz it was so out of the blue. I'll be more careful from now on and hopefully it won't happen again.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest seakpopfan

@Aziraphale

Sorry if I sounded too uptight especially at the end there, I had so much (nonsense) to say, but didn't have a good way to say it. :P 

Guest Jessmonde

I wasn't really doing anything. I had a few webpages open, harmless ones like soompi and BBC Sport, and when I was going back to one of them (dramabeans), I got the screen that said my computer was under attack. Stupid me didn't realise it was a virus or trojan and actually downloaded the MacGuard thing, after which several "virus alerts" kept popping up. Then I googled and realised it was malware and fortunately using Apple's guide, I was able to get rid of it. I clear my cache regularly and don't visit any suspicious sites, so I'm puzzled as to how it hit me :mellow:

Nothing hit you, and It doesn't matter what browser you use they're internet screen pop-ups that falsely warn you that you have a virus or are attacked by one, to get you to download and launch their sale pitch, malware, trojan horse or whatever they are. That's what you get for believing that your Mac has a virus (jk). In any case Mac has addressed this issue and is creating an update that will automatically uninstall and delete these malwares from your computer. So don't pay any attention to any other pop-up that tells you differently ;)

Guest monkeyshinobi

Yay! I finally got myself a Macbook Pro! 13 inch and 2.7 ghz. I adjusted pretty quickly (PC --> Mac). It's really fast *__* My old laptop made me want to flip a plethora of tables because of it's speed. So freaking slow. But now no more of that :D

Anyone have any tips or any recommended apps?

Guest triple5soul

^

nope, the offer applies to high school students too. Oh yeah , i advise you to get it on tax free day, its the same time as the back to school promo, at least in my state it is :P Student discount + selling the ipod = WIN.

p.s alot of people don't know that if you're going to get the free ipod then you have to pay for it there full price, afterward apple sends you a refund check. Make sure you bring enough money ~

Debating between the pro and the regular macbook.

okay.. this is a serious question::::    Does anyone else here think the regular macbooks look better than the pros? i seriously think the white one looks better but apparantly i'm the minority....

I THINK SO TOO ! i love white electronics ^^ im debating between the two as well, but the specs for the new macbook pro is a looot better than the regular macbook. the macbook pro is growing on me tho, and im starting to think that it looks good too. also it looks less chunky and feels lighter and more sleek than the white macbook. im looking for like an opaque white case for the macbook pro LOLL . ive seen people with other colour cases so i hope it doesnt look too stupid...haha.

My questions:

It seems like one of the major selling points of the new macbook pro is the Thunderbolt port or something like that? i'm not really sure what it does, so i'm curious about how would that be of use to an average user of the macbook (i.e. university student, just using it for schoolwork, surfing, maybe some photo/movie-editing)

Also, what does the program Aperture do? It seems very interesting and advanced in terms of photo editing, but what more does it offer than a simple editing program such as Picasa/Picnik ? And does the macbook come with photoshop?

Thankss in advance! :)

Thunderbolt is intended to replace USB, Firewire, and all those other ports, consolidating into one simple port. The technology is somewhat proprietary to Apple right now and few devices support the interface. The regular user wouldn't see much use for it until more manufacturers adopt it but for Mac professionals, hardware is coming out for them. 

Aperture is Apple's in-house software comparable to Adobe's Lightroom. If you've compared Lightroom to Picasa, you'll understand the general difference. Advanced controls, much more in-depth photo management with deeper editing capabilities. 

Edit: Forgot to answer the last part of the question - OSX does not come preinstalled with Photoshop. 

Guest Starblazerbon

Just bought mine yesterday and I'm so excited!!!!

Tsai_jolen- Apple Macbook pro 15.4

Isn't the 15.4 MBP a bit too heavy for mobile usage?

I have one and I want the 13 inch MBP instead.

Sigh* Buyer's remorse.

Guest seakpopfan

My questions:

It seems like one of the major selling points of the new macbook pro is the Thunderbolt port or something like that? i'm not really sure what it does, so i'm curious about how would that be of use to an average user of the macbook (i.e. university student, just using it for schoolwork, surfing, maybe some photo/movie-editing)

Also, what does the program Aperture do? It seems very interesting and advanced in terms of photo editing, but what more does it offer than a simple editing program such as Picasa/Picnik ? And does the macbook come with photoshop?

Thankss in advance! :)

Macbook has not been refreshed for ages, the CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo, its an aging CPU (in terms of what's new on the market), its still good of course but if you are buying new, older tech really should be cheaper. The Macbook pro line has just been refreshed so it is a faster machine. Doesn't seem to be any Macbook refresh rumors recently either ...

Aperture is an advanced photo editing program, a comparable app is Adobe's Lightroom, and Photoshop too, except Photoshop does a lot more, Lightroom and Aperture specializes in photo editing, enhancement, management and workflow for pro photographers. There are videos of product showcases on both Adobe and Apple's website, here is the Aperture one (http://www.apple.com/aperture/what-is.html)

Thunderbolt port us actually Intel tech and not Apple's, Apple just influenced Intel on its final state, to use copper instead of fiber optics, to use the DisplayPort plug and gave it the Thunderbolt name and maybe some other details, but originally Intel called it LightPeak. So far, not many 3rd party companies is making Thunderbolt peripherals, PC industry most likely as in 99.9999% will go with USB3.

Guest tsai_jolen

Sigh* Buyer's remorse.

Honestly it is but my old computer was heavier. I bought it because it has the memory, speed and bigger hardrive. I love it thought but the only thing is trying to find a cover for it.

Guest erure

Sigh* Buyer's remorse.

I've gone from the 15 to the 17 to the 13 back to the 15 over a few years. The 15 is the perfect size imo. Besides the bezel on the 13 is a little bit bigger than the 15. But then again, if the 13 had the antiglare display option, I'd probably go with the 13 haha.

Guest OldSpice

I've gone from the 15 to the 17 to the 13 back to the 15 over a few years. The 15 is the perfect size imo. Besides the bezel on the 13 is a little bit bigger than the 15. But then again, if the 13 had the antiglare display option, I'd probably go with the 13 haha.

I agree, I'm using the 15 as a desktop replacement, but if the 13 inch had anti glare or i already had an adequate desktop, i would go with the 13.

Guest seakpopfan

Ordered by iMac 21.5" few days ago, it'll arrive next week!

The baseline model but with the Magic Trackpad without mouse and wired full keyboard, yes with Lion-up-to-date.

Can you guys tell me how you partition your HDD if at all?

1) Like how much room to leave for OSX system partition.

2) Do you install all your software on that same partition?

3) Did your Mac hard drive ever fail on you?

4) If you are on equator climate, can the iMac deal with the heat, I prefer not to have air-con on all the time, yes there will be a fan for cooling.

Its very exciting thinking about the new iMac, when will it arrive?? can't wait!

Guest secretxtears

I have a Macbook Pro 15" my question is that does anyone have any problems with the brightness? I feel that the longer I have it whenever I turn up the light in full it isn't as bright as when I first bought it. Anyways, are there any techniques or applications to help with the brightness on the screen? I found that a lot of other mac users have the same problem. I've had this for almost two years now haha. 

Guest seakpopfan

I have a Macbook Pro 15" my question is that does anyone have any problems with the brightness? I feel that the longer I have it whenever I turn up the light in full it isn't as bright as when I first bought it. Anyways, are there any techniques or applications to help with the brightness on the screen? I found that a lot of other mac users have the same problem. I've had this for almost two years now haha. 

May be a hardware issue, which can't be fixed by software. Did a quick web search yesterday about this but didn't get deep into it, you are not alone but nobody knows, or find a service center location and ask. 2 years sounds awful short for LCD lifespan, but it could happen, best to go to a service center and find out once and for all otherwise you'll end up guessing and guessing. Or accept it and let it slowly die and then plug into external monitor.

Guest seakpopfan

My Mac arrived, its awesome. None of the problems I was worried about mattered. And its running cool, today is a very warm day too.

Guest swtyujah012

I just got my first Mac today. I bough a MacBook Pro 13" and with the back to school promo, I received a free $100 itunes gift card as well.

So far, I'm loving it!

Guest karenu.shi

Are there any rumors on any updates to the macbook pro? I want to switch from my old macbook to a macbook pro. Just don't want to buy one and then have another one come up with better stuff. ya know what i mean?

Guest wingfaith

the next update is like months away and it's rumored to have a new design. The advice is always going to be the same and that's just get it if you really need it, or else just wait. Personally, i'm waiting for the next mbp refresh, i think it's around march of 2012? 

Archived