Soompi Mac User Group

j79

I don't mean to offend. My posts often tones that are difficult to decipher correctly online.

Although the Macs I use at work seem to run better with Safari, I use Firefox out of habit because it's familiar to me. If you prefer Chrome, stick to it and forget about the memory usage. 

Memory usage is still pretty high with Chrome going say 500MB vs 400MB in Safari. Not a big deal considering you most likely have enough RAM to push through this small difference and heck, you'd be giving up something insignificant to use what you want. Load each browser up to the normal workload and they'll all start to leak memory.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest OldSpice

So I'm set on getting the MacBook Air but I was wondering if i should wait a little bit for some type of bundle (i.e the free iTouch and printer)

my coworker bought her mac right before they had that promotion last year..

do you guys think i should wait a little bit or the deal thats $100 for Mac apps is good enough?

please and thanks.

free printer is always available + the discount (if you have a .edu email), the promo (gift card) is only for a certain amount of time.

Guest x kisekiboshi

I don't mean to offend. My posts often tones that are difficult to decipher correctly online.

Although the Macs I use at work seem to run better with Safari, I use Firefox out of habit because it's familiar to me. If you prefer Chrome, stick to it and forget about the memory usage. 

Memory usage is still pretty high with Chrome going say 500MB vs 400MB in Safari. Not a big deal considering you most likely have enough RAM to push through this small difference and heck, you'd be giving up something insignificant to use what you want. Load each browser up to the normal workload and they'll all start to leak memory.

Oh, it's okay. ^^ And thank you again for the insight.

I hope you don't mind me asking another question, but are you running on Lion or Snow Leopard?

The reasoning I'm asking this question is that I got the early 2011 MBPro installed with Lion and I noticed that once I hit 40% on my battery, I'm getting about 3 hours for battery life. This concerns me since Apple claims that MBPros get 7 hours of battery life. The only programs I was running were Spotify and Chrome (with about 3 or 4 tabs). I read that many people have encountered this problem and I wanted to know if you were in a similar situation.

http://code.google.c...detail?id=45457

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/

I'd explore that program because the recent releases of these browsers all use GPU acceleration in some way. Safari is probably tweaked to respond better but Firefox and Chrome might have issues switching between the dedicated and integrated, the former consuming more power than the latter. Seems to be the most common reason software-wise. 

I actually don't run a Mac personally. Use them at work and then connect the dots because programs function on the same fundamental level. 

Guest YouKnow_ThatGuy

Oh, it's okay. ^^ And thank you again for the insight.

I hope you don't mind me asking another question, but are you running on Lion or Snow Leopard?

The reasoning I'm asking this question is that I got the early 2011 MBPro installed with Lion and I noticed that once I hit 40% on my battery, I'm getting about 3 hours for battery life. This concerns me since Apple claims that MBPros get 7 hours of battery life. The only programs I was running were Spotify and Chrome (with about 3 or 4 tabs). I read that many people have encountered this problem and I wanted to know if you were in a similar situation.

You shouldn't worry too much about the battery life. The claim of 7 hours by Apple is under ideal conditions (basically, doing some text editing and not much else). With normal usage you'll probably see between 4-5 hours. It's what I'm getting using Snow Leopard.

As for web browsers, I haven't used chrome and mainly stick with firefox. I do use Safari for watching videos, though, because the macbook pro will get insanely hot (for using it on your lap anyway) when watching videos using Firefox.

Another tip is to create a separate user account with no administrative privileges and use that for daily activities. It will make it a little tougher for nasty software to install itself on your macbook.

As for myself, I got the 2011 Macbook Pro when they came out earlier this year. Not running Windows, though.

Guest echoism

anyone ever have a bloated battery in their macbook?

I had one in my MB. It didn't bother me but I figured it wasn't the safest thing, so I took it to the Apple Store. Apparently this is common as they age. If it's under 3 years old/300 cycles and you have Applecare, they'll replace it for free. Otherwise it's on you (unless they're nice and do it anyway) to replace it.

Guest adorkableheo

Okay this going to sound retard but I recently got the Macbook pro 13'' and I received the promotion of $100 gift card.

So I did what it asks, redeem the card, right? So I did but then it ask for my card payment, the thing is I don't have a card

and then I look at other sites to see to get apps without credit card and there's the option of "none". However it does not work for me. So I really need help because school is about to start and I have not apps such as Pages or Number that will help benefit me.

Guest jun;MON

I just got my MBP and for some odd reason I can't seem to upload pictures from my photobooth. Like I've used my friends mac before and have uploaded pictures easily, but for some reason mines wont take me to my photobooth pictures folder. Don't you just go to (for ex. fb) select photos>pictures>photobooth? For me photobooth is not an option to click, its grey :(

I've googled some solutions like dragging it to the desktop then upload it from there, but thats so...much work... help? Thanks in advance :)

I recently bought a 13'' macbook pro.

It gets warm really fast. It gets to be around 70, if not 80 degrees.

I thought maybe it was just because it was a mbpro, since my other macbook never had that problem

Should I bring it into the apple store and get it checked?

Guest YouKnow_ThatGuy

Orangeman is 100% right. They put WAY too much thermal paste in macbook pros. I actually opened it up after I bought it and re-applied the thermal paste myself, and now it's nice and cool.

Sorry if this is a super dumb question, but if I buy a usb reader, my memory stick pro will work on my macbook pro right? 'Cause it doesn't really fit into the slot right now. But when I insert the memory stick into my dell laptop, it fits and everything, but there's no window that pops up with the options of importing or exporting pictures and stuff O_O

But anyways, I have a 13 inch macbook pro :)

I had one in my MB. It didn't bother me but I figured it wasn't the safest thing, so I took it to the Apple Store. Apparently this is common as they age. If it's under 3 years old/300 cycles and you have Applecare, they'll replace it for free. Otherwise it's on you (unless they're nice and do it anyway) to replace it.

perfect, that's me exactly. i'll schedule an appointment and see how it goes. i never check there but i was cleaning my case and the battery case was noticeably gaping :(

9/18, so i went in and they just changed it out, no checking my applecare or nothing :D the guy also cleaned my mac for me lol

Archived