Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest karenu.shi

Oh, thanks! I think I'm just gonna wait :/ the core's probably never gonna be changed... i'll just wait for the new design :P

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FusionGT2

Just curious, is it better to leave my macbook pro on sleep mode all the time or should I shut down while I sleep? It feels like when I leave it on sleep the laptop gets hot.. and lately its been a bit laggy.

Guest seakpopfan

Are there any rumors on any updates to the macbook pro?  I want to switch from my old macbook to a macbook pro.  Just don't want to buy one and then have another one come up with better stuff.  ya know what i mean?

The MBP just got refreshed early this year, there won't be an update until 2012 for sure.

@FusionGT2, why don't you just turn it off, saves on all sorts of wear and tear. Also search web for mac maintenance articles, may help with lag issue.

Guest OldSpice

Just curious, is it better to leave my macbook pro on sleep mode all the time or should I shut down while I sleep? It feels like when I leave it on sleep the laptop gets hot.. and lately its been a bit laggy.

do you have SMC fan control?

Guest lamlam

^ SMC Fan Control is a lifesaver!

I got my order for 16 GB of RAM for my iMac over the weekend. Definitely enjoying it since I attribute 8 GB for my Mac, and then 8 GB for my virtual Windows via Parallel's desktop! :]

Guest Starblazerbon

Anyone here games on their macbook pro. Did you find the heat much of an issue while gaming?

For you early Thunderbolt adopters, it is now proven to be a viable port albeit still lacking hardware support. As of now, the physical port is rather expensive and the only hardware is an external enclosure that starts at $1000. But the speeds you get from this port are on par with what most of the top-end solid state drives can read and write. 

Guest Xarthan

Anyone here games on their macbook pro. Did you find the heat much of an issue while gaming?

not really, i've played black ops, wow, dragon age 2 and it's held up fine. It does get a bit loud when the fans turn on, but alot quieter than the previous generation.

Guest CandiiMe

Just got the MBP 13" 2-3 weeks ago and its so nice <3 , first time Mac owner.

I lovee how perfectly it works/syncs with my iPhone among many other things :D

* Oh and I love how fast it is! My old netbook has slowed down in the 2 years that I've had it and would lag if I had over 10 tabs open or something, where as on this I can have a abajillion things running again!

I'm also really scared about keeping the battery in the best condition, I wish that it's life would be 10h+ and not 7. If I have brightness on, and am watching videos and stuff it scares the crap out of me by saying that it'll last only 3 hours!

Guest evanlam

My gateway is getting old (bought it back in 2005), can't even watch HD movies. So I decided to buy an iMac, i7, 3.4 ghz, 2gb GPU, 27" monitor. This thing is a beast! Running wow at full everything, but the edge of the screen & on top is a bit hot. A little worried about that. Overall, very pleased.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest echoism

has anyone used one of the new imacs with an ssd rather than an hdd? is the difference really as noticeable as people say? i'm planning to get a 27" 2.7ghz imac and i'm pretty seriously considering getting the 256gb ssd + firewire 800 external hdd.

i was waiting for the new thunderbolt ssd externals to come out, but the release has been pushed back to fall/winter, and it seems like they'll be more expensive than the apple bto anyway ($450 w/student discount).

Apple should've had the option for a SSD boot drive (say 20 or 40GB) and then the traditional route of mechanical hard drives. All you really need is one big enough to store the applications and system files because storage on these drives doesn't make much sense at the current price per gigabyte. 

If you don't do much to stress the hard drive, SSDs just launch things a second or two faster and boot up quicker. Some people like those seconds saved, others would rather save the money for something else. Try the Macbook Air at a store and find another system to compare it to.

http://www.macworld....ml#lsrc.mod_rel

Look at the benchmarks for a general picture. Note the applications for each benchmark.

Guest Xarthan

has anyone used one of the new imacs with an ssd rather than an hdd? is the difference really as noticeable as people say? i'm planning to get a 27" 2.7ghz imac and i'm pretty seriously considering getting the 256gb ssd + firewire 800 external hdd.

i was waiting for the new thunderbolt ssd externals to come out, but the release has been pushed back to fall/winter, and it seems like they'll be more expensive than the apple bto anyway ($450 w/student discount).

I recently got a SSD with my macbook and wow this thing is fast. The one thing I loved about my macbook air was that I could take it around, bump it, etc and not worry about damaging the hard drive.

I launched World of Warcraft on the SSD and it was freaking fast! Love it, don't think I will ever get another computer without a SSD.

Guest NONE.LIKEYOU

Flipping through the topic right now, but here's my general question:

I've had this Macbook for a while now, but never really cared to do much maintenance with it (since it was basically new, I was lazy, blah blah blah). I was just wondering what kind of programs I should install to keep it virus-free, and if I need to purge all the unnecessary files (basically everything listed in "Downloads"). And do you guys normally delete all songs or keep it in the library? I really want to keep this laptop up and running for at least 4 years.

I'm sure that I can find an answer to this with more research. But I think there would be just be more general experience/know-how. Any tips on how to preserve Macbook and keep it in tip-top shape for as long as possible?

If I find anything, I'll add the links to this post :) So in a way I'll be answering my own questions. Ohoho.

Guest x kisekiboshi

Does anybody the product cycle for macbook pros? I really want to get a mac before I go back to school, but I don't want to hastily buy a macboook pro and then find out a new one came out several months later. Thanks in advance!

Guest Xarthan

Does anybody the product cycle for macbook pros? I really want to get a mac before I go back to school, but I don't want to hastily buy a macboook pro and then find out a new one came out several months later. Thanks in advance!

the new ones just came out, so you are fine.

Guest x kisekiboshi

the new ones just came out, so you are fine.

Thanks so much! I was concerned because macumors.com was saying that macbook pros were at the end of their cycles. But thank you again!

Guest seakpopfan

The 2011 iMacs can be configured to have 2 hard disks, 1 SSD + normal HDD, don't think you can get this configuration from a reseller though, so try the store.apple.com website > choose your country. If its not available on the website then call the customer service number listed there (easily found), just order by phone. I know this because I did just that, ordered by phone and SSD + normal HDD was recommended to me, I didn't get the SSD though. From what I read, booting up is almost instant on with SSDs, and there is a lot less wear on the normal HDD.

Archived