Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest Xarthan

Thanks so much! I was concerned because macumors.com was saying that macbook pros were at the end of their cycles. But thank you again!

Actually they came out in February, but you still should be fine. :) Perhaps you were looking at the macbook part, which a new one should be out soon.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest echoism

Apple should've had the option for a SSD boot drive (say 20 or 40GB) and then the traditional route of mechanical hard drives. All you really need is one big enough to store the applications and system files because storage on these drives doesn't make much sense at the current price per gigabyte. 

If you don't do much to stress the hard drive, SSDs just launch things a second or two faster and boot up quicker. Some people like those seconds saved, others would rather save the money for something else. Try the Macbook Air at a store and find another system to compare it to.

http://www.macworld....ml#lsrc.mod_rel

Look at the benchmarks for a general picture. Note the applications for each benchmark.

yeah, the fact that it's a 256gb drive and not really a "boot" drive is what's making me hesitate. $450 is a lot for an (a) mediocre ssd and (B) a drive with a lot of space i probably won't use.

i went down to the apple store today and tried out the macbook air vs some of the imacs i'm looking to buy, and the difference was really not that huge. i can wait an extra second for photoshop to load. i think i might just spend the $450 and a little extra and get an ipad. if thunderbolt really takes off in the future, i'll probably just buy a smaller ssd and use it as a external boot drive.

The 2011 iMacs can be configured to have 2 hard disks, 1 SSD + normal HDD, don't think you can get this configuration from a reseller though, so try the store.apple.com website > choose your country. If its not available on the website then call the customer service number listed there (easily found), just order by phone. I know this because I did just that, ordered by phone and SSD + normal HDD was recommended to me, I didn't get the SSD though. From what I read, booting up is almost instant on with SSDs, and there is a lot less wear on the normal HDD.

yes, i'm aware of this. however, i'm not a huge fan of toshiba drives, and i don't feel comfortable having two drives with all of my files in an all-in-one. i used to work in tech services, and our imacs were notorious for having hdd issues, and i've even had problems with my macbook with the hdd completely dying after a tiny drop. i rarely turn off my computer, so boot times aren't really an issue to me and i don't really use a lot of programs that would benefit from having an ssd (photoshop, for instance, is more ram/cpu hungry) so it doesn't seem like getting an ssd is a cost efficient purchase for me, at least right now.

Guest shklover

i just bought my mac book pro, and was downloading the Lion operating system, and while surfing the net, it just disappeared. Do you guys know what might have happened? cuz now i can't find it anywhere, and can't go back to get another free download.

Been contemplating the Samsung 9 for a while then when the new Vaio Z's were announced, they became a consideration as well. The Vaio Z is nice but no need for the premium for the external discreet graphics. I have very little need for gaming on a laptop as I would much prefer my desktop rig to do that. It was still a consideration as it would just be a nice thing to have (but the cost was a bit high). I was strongly considering not getting a Mac notebook again (recent MBP 13" 2010 owner) but then Apple decided to lay the bomb down with MBA 2011 and Lion and it became a no brainer. It is cheaper than the two PC alternatives I was considering and once again everything I was looking for in a ultraportable 13" laptop. Been a happy camper the past couple of days. My original intent was to just get an SSD for the laptop but decided to get an ultraportable in the process. Been using an SSD on my main rig (a PC) for a quite a while now and just couldn't deal with the performance lacking on the laptop from the lack of one. I've never cared for the original MBA or the refresh last year, but its amazing to see how much modern tech they put in to this form factor for the recent refresh.

Guest carshrimped

I'm a design student and I used to be somewhat of an anti-Mac user since I loved my Windows and didn't understand why everyone kept insisting that I should get a Mac. Then after two years of frying two Windows laptop for the sake of my design work, I finally caved and got a 27" Macbook Pro. Now I'm sold.

The only thing I'm not so fond of is Mac's issue with the self-assigned IP address though. Anyone has issues with it?

Also I'm kind of wondering, since I like gaming a lot but Mac doesn't really allow that, does Bootcamp affect your Mac in any way?

Guest Starblazerbon

I'm a design student and I used to be somewhat of an anti-Mac user since I loved my Windows and didn't understand why everyone kept insisting that I should get a Mac. Then after two years of frying two Windows laptop for the sake of my design work, I finally caved and got a 27" Macbook Pro. Now I'm sold.

The only thing I'm not so fond of is Mac's issue with the self-assigned IP address though. Anyone has issues with it?

Also I'm kind of wondering, since I like gaming a lot but Mac doesn't really allow that, does Bootcamp affect your Mac in any way?

What do you mean if Bootcamp affect your Mac in anyway? 

If by affect meaning it will allow your MAC to boot into Windows then Yes.. It will affect your MAC by allowing itself to boot into Windows..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AznMidget

I wonder if my "Mac" is eligible, since it's not really one. T_T

Parents aren't exactly fond of Macs, so I decided to show them by installing OS X on my PC (Snow Leo, retail purchased of course).

Core i7-2600K

8GB DDR3

nVidia GeForce 9800GTX+

Apple sticker on the side.

Oh yeah, and anyone tried Lion yet?

Guest MC_Lee

does anyone know how to fix keyboards that are "stuck" on a macbook pro?

will the apple store fix it for me if I have the insurance?

Guest Xarthan

does anyone know how to fix keyboards that are "stuck" on a macbook pro?

will the apple store fix it for me if I have the insurance?

yeah, unless you spilled something that caused it

Hi guys, I recently got a macbook pro and i was just wondering how i should transfer all my music from my windows pc to my mac but making sure my playlists and play counts are still in tact?? I tried googling it and tried some of the methods that this website has, but I'm not very tech savy so i couldn't get it to work >.<

Guest ShinoguW

Hi guys, I recently got a macbook pro and i was just wondering how i should transfer all my music from my windows pc to my mac but making sure my playlists and play counts are still in tact?? I tried googling it and tried some of the methods that this website has, but I'm not very tech savy so i couldn't get it to work >.<

Buy/use a USB drive or External Hard Drive. Or you can try compressing the file then uploading it online/through the local network.

Guest carshrimped

What do you mean if Bootcamp affect your Mac in anyway? 

If by affect meaning it will allow your MAC to boot into Windows then Yes.. It will affect your MAC by allowing itself to boot into Windows..

Ah, as in like whether it makes Mac unstable or anything >__<

Ah, as in like whether it makes Mac unstable or anything >__<

It splits the drive into multiple parts, the size of each dependent on however big you want it. If you boot into Windows, you select the Windows partition; if you want to go back into OSX, you restart and select the OSX part.

XqXi0.jpg

It's not likely to cause problems unless the hard drive crashes but sometimes errors do develop; that rate is more or less the same as not going through the process. Keep valuable data backed up and just repair (Windows) as needed.

Guest souries_Xd

So I'm set on getting the MacBook Air but I was wondering if i should wait a little bit for some type of bundle (i.e the free iTouch and printer)

my coworker bought her mac right before they had that promotion last year..

do you guys think i should wait a little bit or the deal thats $100 for Mac apps is good enough?

please and thanks.

Guest lckt.shop

Hello! joining in,

I have a macbook pro 13" , though I'm presently running Win7 on bootcamp! Mac's don't have nearly as many mmorpg's as pc! 

Guest x kisekiboshi

Hi everyone! Just got my macbook pro and it's pretty cool. :) I just have several questions that I hope some of you guys can help me with.

1) Which one do you recommend, Picasa or iPhoto?

2) Which internet browser do you like better, Safari or Chrome?

3) What are some good programs for blocking spyware, malware, adware? And what programs are good for virus protection?

Sorry for so many questions, but I greatly appreciate the help. :)

The questions you asked are all preferences, with a slight exception for #3.

1) Picasa and iPhoto are similar as they both perform basic photo management and edits. Test both and use whatever you liked the most. 

2) They load pages with little noticeable difference in speed. Safari feels snappier as it runs on a native platform whereas Chrome and Firefox are ported over. 

3) Although the threats are increasing, you still don't need a dedicated form of protection for OSX. Don't approve random things to run/install, don't download weird files from untrustworthy sites, and install something like AdBlock into the browser to block ads. If it makes you feel better, install a program but it will be a placebo effect. 

Guest x kisekiboshi

Sorry! >__< I just wanted to see what were people's opinion were if it it was applicable. But thank you very much for your help.

I was especially curious for question 2 since I read that Safari uses less resources than Chrome and I wasn't sure if I should make the switch to Safari since I'm an avid Chrome user.

Archived