Soompi Mac User Group

j79

I think i will be buying a Macbook pro (maybe 13 or 15 inch) for college. :D Is there any programs already on the Mac similar to Microsoft Word/ Powerpoint etc.? Or will i have to buy that separately? Oh yeah and do normal printers, such as HP printers, work for the mac?

Can't wait! I've always been a PC user but i think i will convert and try a mac out~

You can try the free open-source app called OpenOffice. Try a Google search. It's similar to Microsoft Office, except it's free! It's also compatible with Office formats so you can open DOC and Excel files as well as save as those formats.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest seakpopfan

@monkeyShinobi\

Microsoft sells mac versions of their Office stuff, Apple has similar suite called iWork. Compatibility wise, I don't know how compatible iWork is with MS Office. Like Sobayaki says OpenOffice is pretty compatible and it is free so, more money for dating ;)

Guest Xarthan

@monkeyShinobi\

Microsoft sells mac versions of their Office stuff, Apple has similar suite called iWork. Compatibility wise, I don't know how compatible iWork is with MS Office. Like Sobayaki says OpenOffice is pretty compatible and it is free so, more money for dating ;)

you can save as microsoft versions with iworks, but if you have the choice between microsoft and iworks, get microsoft.

Guest monkeyshinobi

okay, thanks everyone! Yeah i think i'll go w/ microsoft office, i'm more familiar with it.

Guest Xarthan

okay, thanks everyone! Yeah i think i'll go w/ microsoft office, i'm more familiar with it.

Also have you checked out Google Docs and their Powerpoint?

Guest 432521

I find it funny how colleges are just now finishing finals and going for summer and they have their back to school sell

Guest brinyblue

Macbook Pro, 15". Recently switched, so definitely checking out some sites to adapt, haha! But its pretty cool and user friendly. :D

Guest wingfaith

^

nope, the offer applies to high school students too. Oh yeah , i advise you to get it on tax free day, its the same time as the back to school promo, at least in my state it is :P Student discount + selling the ipod = WIN.

p.s alot of people don't know that if you're going to get the free ipod then you have to pay for it there full price, afterward apple sends you a refund check. Make sure you bring enough money ~

Debating between the pro and the regular macbook.

okay.. this is a serious question::::    Does anyone else here think the regular macbooks look better than the pros? i seriously think the white one looks better but apparantly i'm the minority....

Guest Jessmonde

My 1st Mac was a Titanium Powerbook with only 20GB

Which I have Updated since...

Mac Pro 2x2 Dual-Core Intel Xeon

32GB Ram (8GB x 4) Max

12TB Memory (3TB x 4) Internal

ATI RADEON 5770 HD Graphics Kit

LG 27" HD Flatron Widescreen Display

Logitech Wireless Mouse & Keyboard

Power Book G4 17" 1.67 / 1GB / 120GB

Guest OldSpice

wow 32gb ram? what do you do with that?

Also just wanted to let people considering a mac know that microsoft is doing a promotion where if you spend more than 700 something on a pc laptop you can get a free xbox 360

Is the back to school sale only available in store or can I get it online too?

I was going to get a few customizations, which is why I'm ordering online. But I think I'd rather have the free iTouch (or whatever they're gifting after rebate)

And do you know the specific date when the sale starts? (and ends?)

edit: googled it haha. Seems like it's very likely to happen starting from the 25th, but may be pushed back because of something that apple is hosting this Sunday.

Oh, I hope it's something good lmao

/prays for discounted iPad(2?) LOL I wish.

Is the back to school sale only available in store or can I get it online too?

I was going to get a few customizations, which is why I'm ordering online. But I think I'd rather have the free iTouch (or whatever they're gifting after rebate)

And do you know the specific date when the sale starts? (and ends?)

edit: googled it haha. Seems like it's very likely to happen starting from the 25th, but may be pushed back because of something that apple is hosting this Sunday.

Oh, I hope it's something good lmao

/prays for discounted iPad(2?) LOL I wish.

The back to school deal is available whether you buy in store or online. The deal with the "free" iPod Touch is that you have to buy it first, then submit the rebate. Same goes for the printer too.

Guest OldSpice

Hey guys, my Mac just got hit by malware, so just a heads-up here. It's called one of these names: MacGuard (what I was hit with), MacDefender, MacSecurity, etc. Apple posted a guide on how to get rid of it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4650

Hope none of you got it.

How did it happen? What did you do?

How did it happen? What did you do?

I wasn't really doing anything. I had a few webpages open, harmless ones like soompi and BBC Sport, and when I was going back to one of them (dramabeans), I got the screen that said my computer was under attack. Stupid me didn't realise it was a virus or trojan and actually downloaded the MacGuard thing, after which several "virus alerts" kept popping up. Then I googled and realised it was malware and fortunately using Apple's guide, I was able to get rid of it. I clear my cache regularly and don't visit any suspicious sites, so I'm puzzled as to how it hit me :mellow:

Guest Xarthan

I wasn't really doing anything. I had a few webpages open, harmless ones like soompi and BBC Sport, and when I was going back to one of them (dramabeans), I got the screen that said my computer was under attack. Stupid me didn't realise it was a virus or trojan and actually downloaded the MacGuard thing, after which several "virus alerts" kept popping up. Then I googled and realised it was malware and fortunately using Apple's guide, I was able to get rid of it. I clear my cache regularly and don't visit any suspicious sites, so I'm puzzled as to how it hit me :mellow:

You were using Safari eigh?

Guest seakpopfan

Webpages can't access your computer files to check if you have a virus or not, not without exploiting some security flaw. But if some webpage tells you your system is infected and then ask you to install something, then they are lying, because if they have to ask you for permission to install, how did they get permission to scan your computer?

From experience and I don't know if these is allowed anymore, web pages can scan you computer via Java applets or maybe .Net (on Windows) code, but you'll have to first grant it access before it can check, web browsers don't have direct hooks into a user's system that are legally built in. If a webpage out of the blue tells you that your computer is infected, then it is a lie.

I know someone who freaked out and installed a virus protector on her PC that really is malware, same deal, she got a notice telling her that her PC was infected, "download this free tool immediately to remove it ..." that sort of thing.

From what I know this Mac Defender is a social engineering sort of malware where it dupes the user into saying yes to install software, where the file might have downloaded first because it masqueraded as a typical picture or other regular harmless file. So some webpage you visited or some ad on those page had code in there to do this automatically. Its not someone sitting somewhere targeting you, no manual labor like that. If someone could break into your system, gain access and install malware for their nefarious gain, they would do so and don't have to ask you, which is what happens to early Windows versions like unpatched Windows XP or earlier which were full of security problems like ports left open by Microsoft for their own convenience, you just go online for a little while and hackers scanning IP addresses will find your computer and install things without you knowing, or visiting webpages with exploit code could also automatically download and install malware. Windows Vista and later is a lot more secure and don't have these kinds of problems, but social engineering attacks and trojan attacks still happens.

Archived